InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome and Kikyo: Across Time ❯ Onigumo ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

They gathered their supplies before setting off on a road Kagome could only view as familiar. She gazed at her companions, keeping her distance from the miko and hanyou that stood before her. InuYasha had his arms folded in his usual mannerisms, cockily holding his head high.
“Keh, humans are so needy. Do you really need to bring all that stuff around?”
“InuYasha, please remember that we humans cannot survive as easily as you can. We need these provisions to keep ourselves from death,” Kikyo responded, able to deal with his wild temperament and naivety.
“Yeah, yeah, so I've heard,” he barked, stomping to the front of their group. He lead the way, though he didn't know where he was leading them. This InuYasha, unlike the one from fifty years later, did not know Naraku's scent or anything about him. “So where is this Naraku guy now?”
Kagome halted. “To be honest, I'm not really sure myself.”
The others came to a dead stop, disbelief in their expressions. They turned back at her as she shrank in her shame.
“What,” InuYasha yelped as he kept himself from hitting her in his violent nature. He knew he should not use violence against a woman, especially against a human woman, but it was very tempting. Instead, he flexed his claws in frustration.
“What is the meaning of this, Kagome?” Kikyo asked, still unsure as to her companion's earlier words.
Kagome pressed her index finger against her chin, deep in thought. It had not occurred to her that she really would have to search for Naraku. Seeing as InuYasha had not yet been sealed to the sacred tree, and that Kikyo was alive, Naraku must have not yet awakened. “Well…” she contemplated further, remembering the villain who birthed her nemesis. “Kikyo,” she started, ready to find out just how far in the past she was, “do you, by chance, know a man by the name of Onigumo?”
She saw the look in her eye, and knew that name was familiar.
“Yes, but I do not see how he relates to this demon which you seek.”
Kagome took a deep inward breath before replying, “That man will become the demon we're searching for. If we are able to stop him now, before he's born, then we won't have to fight him in his true form.”
She looked at their faces; both disagreed with her, noticing the contradictions in her story.
InuYasha scowled.
“Keh, like I'd believe that! Weren't you the one who said that you'd been fighting off this demon? That means it already exists, moron!”
Kagome bowed her head. Earlier, she should not have lied. If she had not, then she would not have been in that position. However, if she could convince them that what she was saying was true, maybe they could diminish his threat before he set Kikyo and InuYasha against one another.
“Please, just trust me on this.” She heaved a sigh, preparing herself to speak the truth. “The truth is, I came from the future.” She lowered her head, knowing what InuYasha's response would be.
“Like I'd believe that! Think you can fool me, wench?” He stomped away to sit himself along the dirt path they had been traveling. Even fifty years previous, his temper was legendary. of course, this was no shock to Kagome. She knew quite well of his self-serving attitude. She also knew of his other side; the part of him that yearned for the safety of the ones close to him.
Maybe that side didn't exist yet.
I'm sorry I lied to you, really I am, but if we don't stop him…” her voice trailed off. If they didn't stop him, InuYasha would be pinned to a tree. Kikyou would die. Both would believe the other betrayed them, and she, herself, would be the one to release Kikyou's spell. However, things would be different if Naraku was never born. The two would be able to continue their lives. Then, what would happen to her.
No one spoke, waiting for Kagome to finish her sentence. The silence was so tranquil; one could hear the faint breeze of the wind trail across their ears. They could hear in dust across the grass below their feet.
“I understand. I will take you to that man's dwellings.”
InuYasha spun around from his place among the grass. Shock poured over his face. “But Kikyou,” he began, cut off by that priestess' own words.
“InuYasha, this girl is merely seeking our help. Where her origins lie is no concern of mine.” She breathed in, ready to continue. “If Onigumo shall become a threat then we must stop him from causing harm. My duty is to protect the jewel from being tainted by evil.”
“Kikyou, I thought we…” Kagome caught that glance. She remembered all too well the way he looked at her, a most loving gaze, always endearing Kikyou closer to him. Hadn't they made an agreement in the past to use the jewel to make InuYasha a human? Her heart wrenched. That was right. In Naraku had not interfered that day, InuYasha would have become human. Together they would have aged and died over the years. They would be together.
Together.
Kikyou lead them through a field not too far from the village, however far enough for no one to accidentally stumble upon it. The cave was bathed in orange, swathed within piercing hot flames. They scorched the villain's dwellings, burning everything in a blazing inferno, leaving nothing behind. Smoke reached into the sky, a dark gray, and it spread across the air. The fumes only succeeded in burning InuYasha's nostrils with such intense scents.
“We're too late…”