InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kismet ❯ The Rift Between Times ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Myow, myow, myow, myow; Myow, myow, myow, myow; I don't o~wn I~nu~ya~sha! Myow, myow, myow, myow; Myow, myow, myow, myow; Myow; myow; MYOW! =^.^=

SNOW: next chapter ^.^


"Kismet"

Chapter seven

The Rift Between Times



Kagome had been away from home now for two days, but she was no longer sad. Even if she couldn't find her foster family, she had Inuyasha, and he was her best friend. The previous day they'd learned each others past's, and Kagome had taught him how to play tag and other games; he could've caught her easily, but didn't because the game was fun.

They'd slept under a tree like the night before, and once again Kagome woke before him. Kagome tilted her head and smiled at his sleeping form. A leaf from the tree above them floated down landing on his nose, and he twitched and rolled over, slumping onto the ground. Kagome giggled. As she watched him she realized that she was thirsty. So silently, she slipped away through to the stream assuming she'd have enough time to get back before he awoke.

Kagome got her drink and began to walk back, but as she did her mind traveled onto different thought's. 'I wonder if they miss me?' she questioned silently, thinking of her family. With this and other things running through her head, she didn't realize where she was going, and looked up later to see the clearing of the old well.

She stared at it thoughtfully and walked to the edge. In a moment she was standing before the age old well and put her small hands on the lip. She looked over the edge seeing that there was still no water, and it looked the same as it had two days ago. 'This well, is what brought me here two day's ago; what brought me to Inuyasha. . .' Kagome pulled herself up to sit on the edge dangling her feet into the well.

'If I hadn't been so upset, none of this would have happened; I wonder, do I really wish it didn't?' She started swinging her feet a little while keeping her hands on the lip to keep her balance. 'Now that I've met Inuyasha, I don't feel lonely anymore. I do miss Souta, and Sachiko and everyone, but I'd still rather stay here.' She leaned forward a bit and wobbled. She slipped a little and held on before she could fall. 'That was close-' before she could finish her thought, the lip she was holding cracked and she fell, squeezing her eyes shut in embrace for hitting the ground; But it never came.

Kagome opened her eye's hesitantly and found herself sitting unharmed at the bottom of the dry well. 'That's strange.' she thought briefly before grabbing the suddenly apparent ladder to climb out, though something wasn't right. It was dark in the well, darker than it had been a minute ago, and when she reached the top it was still dark. Kagome thought questionably about this for a moment, but was too intrigued by the slit of light in front of her to think of it more.

She stepped forward on a wood floor and reached out to touch a hard flat surface, moving her fingers across feeling for a handle of some sort and when she found it, she pulled. The light coming through was blinding for a moment but when her eyes adjusted she was shocked; The shrine!

Kagome walked out of the well house not moving her eyes from the building before her. 'I, I'm home. . .!' She was so shocked she didn't realize the group of people rushing up to her, and only took notice when someone picked her up and shook her for attention. 'Sachiko. . .' Sachiko had tears streaming down her face and was trembling. "Ka-Kagome! Oh God, thank you; thank you!" She praised, hugging Kagome tightly. Kagome's eye's were still wide with shock; she looked right past Takashi Higurashi who held Souta and the group of others and stared blankly.

Sachiko pulled back to look at her. "Oh Kagome, we were so worried! You were gone for twelve hours, and after finding Yukio beat up we didn't know what to think!" Kagome thought for a moment. Twelve hours? But she had been gone for day's; this didn't sound quite right. Forgetting momentarily that she wasn't known to speak, Kagome opened her mouth. "M-mama. . .?" Everyone gasped visibly. Sachiko stared and stuttered. "W-what did you, say?"

Kagome swallowed and realized her face was still shocked. She mellowed out a bit and repeated, "Mama, don't cry." There was another round of gasps, and a small bit of realization hit home to Kagome: She'd just spoken, and called Sachiko her mother. It was alright now though, because she was home. Home. Sachiko hugged her again, and Kagome saw that some of the other's in the group were resisting tears. "Kagome, I'm so glad to hear you say that," she backed up and Takashi sat by her. "Because Kagome, Takashi and I have just adopted you."

Kagome stared at them. She understood exactly what that meant and was ecstatic, but confused; did that mean they wanted to love her? "You'll be my mama and papa?" she asked meekly, afraid that they might say no. But they both just smiled warmly and nodded. Takashi answered, "Yes." Kagome was about to cheer, but remembered a very important factor; what about Souta? She was quite distressed. They couldn't take her and leave Souta! "And Souta too? We can't forget Souta. . .!" she asked, a little jumpy, reaching out to her sleeping brother.

They nodded again and Kagome's heart flew. "Yes," Sachiko giggled. "Souta too." Kagome couldn't contain her feelings, and jumped into Sachiko's arms exclaiming her joy so that the whole world would know her new found happiness, and her voice. "I'm Home! I have a home! For the first time in forever, I have a home!"

* * *

After discovering that Kagome could now speak again, the police had been over within minutes to interrogate her, but the Higurashi's wouldn't allow it just yet. Kagome's new life was starting and they didn't want to resurface such horrible memories at the moment; they'd just give her time.

Kagome woke up the next morning greeted by a heavenly smell that was breakfast and dressed quickly so she could eat. The rest of that day she was totally carefree and happy; she even almost forgot about the well, and Inuyasha. Almost.

Kagome was walking along the side-yard looking for her teacup that she had dropped a few days ago, when she noticed the well house. Now she remembered, but was it real? Had any of it really happened? Or had she just fallen into the dry well, hit her head and dreamed the whole thing up. . .? She wasn't quite sure. But though she didn't know on the reality of the situation, she did know that, real or not, she missed Inuyasha.

So she did what she did every time she needed to talk; she went to Souta. Of course before she never actually spoke, it was just the idea that when she sat in front of his crib, Souta would just watch her and make his little expressions that let her know he knew what she was feeling. But now she could talk.

Kagome stepped into the room and checked to see if he was sleeping; he wasn't. She walked up to the crib and sat down in Souta's view. Souta looked up and stared at her for a moment before she smiled, and he smiled back. "Hi Souta." she said still smiling. Souta's eye's lit up in a surprised manner. He had been asleep last night when she had first spoke.

Kagome smiled at his surprise. "I guess you know I can talk now, don't you?" Souta just pulled himself up with the crib bars so he was standing, and then sat down. "Yeah, and that we are adopted?" Souta made eye contact and smiled an adorable infant smile. Kagome got up and walked over to him, moving a stool up to the crib. "Do you want to hear how I got my voice back Souta?" Souta looked up to her since she was now standing on the stool and looking in on him. He smiled brightly and giggled.

Kagome reached in and picked up her baby brother, bringing him down to the floor where she could see him better. Souta waved his arms with delight. His sister was going to talk to him! This was wonderful! His favorite things in the world consisted of eating, sleeping, and watching his sister communicate with him; except this time he would be getting some audio. Even if he didn't understand what she was saying, facial expressions were universal, and with this type of language he was a master.

Kagome closed her eyes for a moment and looked contemplative before she reopened them and began. "It all started yesterday, or at least yesterday in our time. When Sachi- er, mama was having the tea ceremony." Kagome corrected herself thoughtfully and then continued. "Yukio came over, and was mean again." Souta scrunched up his face at that name and Kagome giggled. "Yeah, I know. He was really horrible and teased me about not being able to talk,"

Souta smiled widely and Kagome laughed. "I guess he can't say that now can he?" Souta smiled again. It was times like these Kagome felt he really could understand her, but in a different way, that only siblings could. "He did strike a nerve though, by talking about mommy badly, so I hit him and ran away." Souta looked up at her while he entangled his fingers in the rug.

"I went into the well house and the well was opened so I jumped in, but then I never actually hit the bottom." she brought her hand down to the floor in demonstration. "I just 'woke up' or something, in the well, but it wasn't the same well in the shrine, it was different; and when I got out I was in a whole new world."

"I don't know where I ended up Souta, but while I was there I met a half-demon, Inuyasha." She smiled thinking back. "He's really different, and not just because he's part youkai; He talks so kindly and he cares, that's what makes him special." Kagome closed her eye's thoughtfully. "He's my best friend, Souta. I'm going to go back there." Her eye's opened with the last statement and Souta looked at her before trying to get up.

Kagome saw this and rushed forward to catch him. "No, no Souta, you can't come; It's your nap time and I'm not even sure if it was real. Besides it's way too dangerous for a little kid like you." She spoke obliviously to the fact of her own age. She put a pouting Souta back in his crib and walked to the door. "Bye bye Souta, I'll see you later." and with that she left the room, off to find if the wonderful assumption of 'Inuyasha' and this new world was real, or just her hopeful dream.

* * *

Kagome looked down the well one more time as she readied herself for the jump off the lip. This was it, time to prove herself right or wrong. Kagome closed her eye's and took a deep breath, absentmindedly twisting her fingers in the skirt of her yukata. She had to change just in case, it would have been strange to anyone if she showed up in her normal clothes. So with these things in mind she gathered up her courage and jumped, ready for pretty much anything.

It was a strange feeling as she fell; there was no fear grabbing at her making her tense, and it felt like a free fall of jumping when you knew someone was there to catch you. After a long moment Kagome opened her eye's. She was at the bottom of the sell unharmed, and there was a light spilling over from the top. She didn't take time to consider anything as she grabbed on to the ladder and climbed up.

When she got to the top, she was more than just a little relieved. She was back! Back in Inuyasha's world; back where Inuyasha was. She swung herself off the lip and stood motionless while the grass beneath her feet tickled and brushed her sandals, making it over the sole layer to brush against her feet. She smiled. This place was what had put everything right again, it had fixed her life and brought her to Inuyasha. This was definitely a great well. But now there was something on her mind; 'How will I find Inuyasha?'

Speak of the devil. Kagome looked up and saw him standing in the clearing. He looked surprised, grateful and something else she couldn't quite place. She was about to walk up to him but he seemed to recover from whatever it was that ailed him and walked up to her at a faster pace.

He stopped right in front of her and looked sad. Kagome felt a sharp pang in her heart. She didn't mean to hurt him! She should have come back sooner, a whole day was way too long! "Inuyasha, gome-" she didn't finish because just then Inuyasha hugged her. Now Kagome was the one to be surprised, but she didn't say anything. "You're alright." she heard him say. There that pang was again. Inuyasha had thought the worst while she was gone, and that thought made her feel guilty beyond reason.

Inuyasha backed off and stared at her with those piercing, childlike orbs. He looked at her genuinely. "Where did you go?" Uh oh, time to lie again. She really hated lying to him, but it was necessary, she didn't know what else to do. Besides, white lies weren't as bad, were they? "Gomen, Inuyasha. I-that morning I was getting a drink, and on my way back I found my foster parents and they said they were adopting me, and I was so happy, but they took me back to our village and it's far away from here so I had to walk a long way back and, and- gomen!" she spouted nervously in a breath.

Inuyasha seemed calmer now but questionable. "How far is your village?" Er. . . "Ano, pretty far. . ." she trailed off looking in the opposite direction. 'Oh boy' "Did they keep you there for four days?" he asked her gently. Four days? This was getting strange. But she'd only been gone one day; at least, in her time it was one day. But come to think of it, she'd only been gone for twelve hours in her time when she got back.

Her mind went over this problem and drew a fast conclusion. 'There must be a rift between the times! One day in my world equals four days here!' Well that cleared some things up. "Uh huh, yeah." she could work with this. "It's half a day's walk, and my parents don't know I'm coming here so I had to wait a few day's." she was working this well. She leaned closer to him and lowered her voice. "They probably wouldn't approve of me seeing you. They're real partial to youkai, being associated with exterminators and such." She really did have a nack for romance at short notice.

Inuyasha looked at her blankly for a moment and then softened. "Oh." was the one sound that was uttered and he was silent. Well what else could her say? It was a pretty strange situation after all. Kagome figured she should clear some more things up to satisfy him, and besides, she was on a roll. "Yeah, well I figured that since both my parents leave every four days to go haggle at another villages market, or hunt all day, that's the time when I can come see you." she smiled and he watched her for a moment before a wide smile spread on his face too.

He grabbed her hand. "Then you can come until night fall every four days?" She nodded and smiled again. "Great! Lets go then!" He started pulling her off away from the well and was confused. "Go where?" he kept smiling and pulling her ahead. "It's already past noon, we only have a few hours to play before you have to go." Kagome let this roll over silently and he stopped to turn back to her. "You have to teach me more of that 'hide, and go, seek' game" he said happily, pronouncing the game like it was a foreign work, and she giggled. "okay, lets go!" and with that they both took off, to play games in the woods before Kagome's time was up and she had to return home.

@ @ @

I was thinking about ending this chapter before she went down the well, but then my computer decided to haate me and wouldn't lt me upload anything on FF.net so I had more time to write. n_n ~looks at tv~ Kya! they're showing Inuyasha re-runs?! ~sigh~ I knew this day would come -.- . . . .Which is why I bought episodes 30 - 56 in advanced! n_n Don't hate me cause I have new ep's, hate me cause I hold control of when the next chapters come out! Mwahahaha! ~clears throat~ yes, well anyway REVIEW! and remember people above all things, more reviews = faster updates!!!!! n_n Ja!

~SNOW