InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Let's Forget the Past ❯ Discoveries ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
She sat up slowly, and felt the dim ache of phantom wounds and cuts pound her flesh. Something moved behind her, and she started, but realized it was Sumaru-who had apparently fallen sometime after she had.
 
He was still unconscious, arms wrapped around her. She realized, embarrassedly, that she had him in the same vice-grip.
 
Quickly, she let go and gave him a hard shake, trying to wake him. "Sumaru! Get up! We've fallen in the well!"
 
He opened an eye. "Eh? Naruko… Is that you? I thought you fell down the well."
 
"We both did."
 
He realized their positions and let her go not meeting her in they eye. "Ah... So let's find a way to get out then." He looked around and spied the vines growing into the well they reached he top of the well.
 
"Wait a minute...Where's the ceiling?" He stared at the crystal blue sky looking down on them. Naruko jerked her head up to see what he was talking about and gapped.
 
“Maybe someone in the well house found us and tried to get rid of the bodies in another well." Sumaru looked down at Naruko incredulously. Feeling stupid she blushed, and muttered. "Well it's possible."
 
"Whatever, let's just get out of here." He reached down to pull her up. Taking his hand she was surprised that instead of just helping her up, he swung her onto his back.
 
"What are you doing?" She hissed.
 
"What does it look like? I'm getting us out of here."
 
"I'm capable enough of doing that on my own." He ignored her and started climbing.
 
"Stop what if you fall!" Helplessly she clung onto him for dear life. Sumaru was actually surprised at himself he didn't seem to have any trouble with the extra weight. In fact he felt stronger than he had ever felt before.
 
They finally reached the top and Naruko quickly scrambled off Sumaru's back. She froze as she looked around completely forgetting Sumaru, leaving him to finish getting himself out of the well. Sumaru glanced at her and rolled his eyes, and quickly swung himself over the well and then moved to stand next to her.
 
"It's nice I'll give you that. Smells cleaner too. I wonder where we are." He looked down at Naruko for some reason it seemed that she was a bit shorter than he last remembered. And was her hair just a bit wavier, maybe the forest light was playing tricks oh his eyes.
 
The trees grew thickly, with narrow beams of light slanting through the branches and dappling the ground around them. Sumaru's eyes shifted around the clearing and it occurred to him for the first time that he could no longer hear any of the typical sounds of their small suburb. In fact, except for the chirp of some far-away birds, it was completely silent. Naruko started walking towards one of the many trees that surrounded them.
 
"This is too weird," he muttered to himself, walking after Naruko, lest he add "lost" to the list of problems they seemed to be accumulating. This was obviously some kind of forest- unless his eyes were playing tricks on him, and the trees were some kind of illusion. How on earth could they have come to somewhere so remote? Unless they'd been kidnapped for ransom...
 
Naruko's well idea made more sense, he thought disgustedly.
 
"Sumaru- look!" Naruko was about ten feet away, peering through one of the smaller openings in the trees at something beyond his line of sight. "It's- oh!"
 
She turned at him, with an expression of disbelief and horror. "Your face..."
 
"What?! What about my face?" He reached up to his face feeling nothing but normal smooth skin. "What are you talking about?" He was starting to get annoyed but her expression never changed as she reached up to touch his face, if it wasn't for that he would believe that she had been trying to make fun of him.
 
Her fingers trailed down both his cheeks then her left hand moved to trace a crescent shape on his forehead. He was stunned, his heart fluttering and he looked deeply into her eyes. "Your eyes," he gasped.
 
She moved her hands away from his face giving him some space to breathe. "They're blood red." He reached a hand out to trace her face has she had just done and paused. Noticing his hands which had magenta tiger stripes wrapping about his arms ending on the backs of his hands and his nails now tapered off to look more like deadly claws.
 
He felt his breath catch, and quelled a momentary bolt of panic at the monstrous distortion of his features. Then anger. Anger at whatever had caused these changes, and anger at himself for being such a coward. He felt more powerful, and part of him liked this power. Liked the feeling. Which disturbed him, a little.
 
Naruko was having some disturbing thoughts of her own. Sumaru had said her eyes were red. Perhaps it was the lighting from where she stood, but crimson was a long ways off from the typical dull brown shade of her eyes.
 
"Wha-"
 
Sumaru's ears pricked, aware of a sudden rustling in the nearby folliage that seemed obscenely loud in the comparitive silence.
 
They were no longer alone

oOoOoOo
Read and Review.

If you're happy and you know it please review. If you're happy and you know it please review. *bang*

Naruko-sama! You didn't have to hit me so hard.