InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Letters... ❯ Letter Two: Ideal Job ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*************************************************************************** ************************
Disclaimer: Nope... not mine.... I didn’t create then....all the glory goes to Rumiko Takahashi...except for Siya and Dom
******************************************************************* ********************************
Letter Two - Ideal Job
I’m sorry, but I really don’t know what you are talking about.”
“That’s fine. I thought it was too good to be true.” Kagome spoke into the receiver with a sigh. She was a little disappointed in what she was hearing. In the front of her mind, she was telling herself to be prepared for a hoax. Still, a part of her really wanted to believe she found a great job.
“Sorry about the interruption. Have a good afternoon.” Kagome lowered the receiver but she heard the voice speak up. She raised the phone to her ear in time to hear some of what the woman on the other line was saying.
Are you still there?” the unknown woman asked uncertain if she was talking to a person or the air.
“Yes.” Kagome quickly replied.
I wouldn’t give up hope yet. Though I don’t know how you received that letter I will tell you there is a job available at the Taisho residence ,” the woman paused in thought, “We have yet to begin looking for anyone at the moment and I am not normally the person who does the hiring. However, I am quite interesting in that letter. I will be willing to hold my own interview provided that you bring me the letter in question as well as a resume with references.”
Kagome could not believe her ears. She might get a job out of this after all.
“Of course. I can be there whenever you want me to.” Kagome held herself back from speaking a mile a minute.
How about four o’clock? Do you own a car?”
“Four is fine. No, I don’t have a car.”
Take subway train 71 to the last stop I will meet you there and take you to a small café I know of.” The woman instructed her. Kagome almost nodded forgetting she was on the phone.
“Right. I will see you at four o’clock. Thank-you very much. I appreciate this opportunity a lot.”
Then I will see you later. Good-bye.”
“Bye,” the phone clicked on the other end followed by the snap of Kagome hanging up her own phone.
It would seem her luck may be changing. Kagome wouldn’t say anything to anyone yet. She couldn’t be sure if things would go well. She looked to the clock. Only three hours to go and she needed to go buy ink. With her keys and her purse in hand she headed out the door and left to complete the few small tasks needing to be done before her interview. She couldn’t help but hum a little as she descended the stairs and walked out of the apartment building.
8888888
“Hm. It isn’t fake that’s for sure. This is quite interesting. It is the official logo of Sesshomaru-sama’s company, but I do know that he had stated he had no time to look into hiring anyone. You say you got this in the mail this morning.”
Kagome nodded to the older woman sitting across the booth from her. Her name was Kaede. She was employed in the house of the owner who had ‘mailed’ her a letter. However, she only worked there a few hours a week unless otherwise needed.
The buzz of people filled the air around them as waiters and waitresses hurried around them with people's orders.
“Yeah, I picked up my mail Friday so it had to have come today.” Kagome replied.
Kaede pulled the letter closer to her face for another inspection under her right eye. Her left was covered by a black eye patch. Her tan gray hair was pulled into a high bun on her head. She was what would be called a typical grandma look. From her shortness to her chubbiness.
Kagome knew she would like the woman the minute she smiled. It was warm, welcoming, and accepting. They sat in a small café drinking milkshakes. It was the most comfortable interview she had had yet.
“Well, I really don’t know what to tell you little lady. It is official paper. Or so it seems. However, we only just fired our nanny and have had little time to prepare in a search for a new one. I will keep to my promise, seeing that this prank has been pulled on you. You can be the first person to be interviewed for the job. Then I will go back and discuss it will the person in charge hiring the nanny.”
“I understand.” Kagome said and pulled out her resume from her small briefcase. “So the job is for a nanny?”
Kaede was impressed the young woman before her was very professional and yet seemed to have an atmosphere that told a person she wasn’t always what she appeared. Her blue blouse matched her blue eyes. She wore a lengthy black skirt to about mid calf . Her black hair was pulled into a twist on her head with some loose strands profiling the side of her face.
Kaede took the resume handed to her and looked it over briefly. However, she liked studying a person more then words on a paper. Anyone could write and make their skills seem more impressive then they really were.
“Does handling kids bother you? If your not interested then leave now.” The old woman was one to put things out in the open. Simple and concise. She had many things to do and wouldn’t take five minutes to explain something when it could be done in a few seconds.
“No. I love kids. This is wonderful. I really adore watching children.” The younger of the two replied. Kaede thought she looked like she was about to bounce out of her seat. This pleased her.
“What ages?” Kaede began the questioning.
“Hm. That’s a little difficult, but if I had to chose then it would be around ten. That age is perfect because a child can care for basic needs but still wants to play. I love finding new games to play and teach or make games up.” Kagome sipped her chocolate malt as she watched the old woman's reaction.
“Do you have preferences in schedule?” Kaede had liked the previous answer Kagome gave her. Rin was ten after and loved to play games.
“A little. I can’t really work weekends especially Sunday evenings. I have classes. I can work Monday to Friday anytime.”
Kaede wrote this down but it wouldn’t be hard to remember. They needed someone who could work the weekdays since Sesshomaru would stay home with Rin on the weekends normally.
“Oh, but during any breaks, such as summer, I am free for weekends too if need be.” Kagome added and Kaede wrote that down as well.
“Why did you quit your last job?” Kaede has looked and saw that she had worked part-time through highschool. Then stopped a little over a year ago.
“I was having some family issues. My younger brother was getting into a lot of trouble after my grandfather passed away. It was difficult to keep a job and help out my family.” Kagome had trouble talking about her family. She was no longer welcomed there for reasons she would not discuss. But she wouldn’t let the question risk the chance of her getting the job so brief detail was okay.
“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to pry,” Kaede said.
“No, no. It was a reasonable question. I understand.” Kagome smiled and the older woman watched her brighten up the mood just that much more.
~If she didn’t get the job for her skill then she better get it for her attitude.~ Kaede thought to herself, she smiled slightly.
“Well, in all honesty, that will do. I will personally call you with the response. Do you have any questions?”
“I don’t have to wear a uniform right?” Kagome asked hesitantly
“No, but you must wear something appropriate.”
“Of course, I just didn’t want to have to worry about ruining an uniform.” Kagome sipped her malt again. Before remembering something else. “What about the pay?”
“Your first month will be twenty dollars an hour. After this period it will go up according to how much you do. Anything else?”
“I would ask you about the child or children I am caring for, but I want to meet them to get to know one another. It wouldn’t do for someone to tell me that information.” Kagome paused trying to think of anything else. “Well, I think that’s it I don’t have anymore questions.”
“As I said, I will call you in a few days.” Kaede said.
“Thanks. I really am sorry about the confusion, but I can’t say that I regret it. It was a pleasure meeting you.” Kagome stood, her malt was finished by now. She held out her hand to shake Kaede’s.
“Yes, I enjoyed meeting you as well. Expect the call within a few days.” The younger woman nodded then turned to leave.
8888888
Rin listened as Kaede talked to another maid of the house. The oldest woman of the house was happily reporting the interview she had with Kagome. Rin excitedly listen to the conversation. According to Kaede the interview had been yesterday, late afternoon. She had explained the situation to her father’s personal assistant as soon as she had gotten home.
It was now the next morning. Rin was eating her cereal and pretending to read a favourite manga of hers. In reality she was listen to the conversation the two women were having. After all, it was Rin’s plan in the first place so it was only rational that she found out where things stood at the moment.
“Are you sure Kaede?” Siya questioned, as she looked at the older woman.
“Absolutely. The woman will do this house some good. She is very energetic and has this aura about her that just makes you want to smile whenever she does. Once you meet her then you will see.” Kaede noticed the disbelief in her co-worker’s face.
“Well, anyone would be better then the woman who was here last,” the maid replied in agreement.
“Yes, but I assure you this woman will be thoroughly welcomed by Rin.” Kaede- was standing next to the oven cooking pancakes- replied.
“How do you know? Didn’t you just meet her?” Siya was confused. It was a complete accident that this Kagome had even gotten this job.
“I told you already I just know. I am an old woman and I can tell these things. Now stop questioning me.” Kaede snapped. She had been working in the house long enough that no one disrespected her. All the household staff obey her orders and came to her for help. She was also the one who helped Rin as a small child but Kaede was older now and it was more difficult to play games with the little girl. Now, the older woman took care of the household during the weekends for the most part and sometimes, like when Rin was without a nanny, over the weekdays.
Rin had to find out for sure if what she was hearing was indeed a positive thing.
“Am I getting a new nanny Kaede?” Her head turned around to face the woman cooking a small breakfast for her and Siya.
“Yes Rin. Her name is Kagome. She is a really nice girl and I think she will just adore you.” Kaede’s eyes never left the pan where the pancakes she was making were cooking.
“Rin are you certain you only want cereal. I have pancakes here. Or I can make eggs.” Kaede offered.
“I don’t like those things.” Rin stated while she started digging into her Lucky Charms.
“You haven’t even tried them.” Siya butted in. Rin looked to her as did Kaede. Kaede eyes show a warning to Siya to watch what she said.
“I just don’t like them.” Rin hissed at the woman and walked up to room to find peace and quiet.
When she entered she could help but let a grin spread over her face. It was working. Things were working very well. Now she just had to get her dad to show an interest in Kagome. Of course once Kagome saw him, Rin was certain she would be like any other girl meaning she wouldn’t have to worry about Kagome falling for her dad. Rin giggled and bounced to her bed. She couldn’t wait to meet Kagome again. She would have to act shocked to see the woman, but then again, she was a really good actress.
8888888
Kagome pulled her keys out of her pocket. She had gone to pick up a few groceries. After coming home yesterday upon finishing the interview she had come to the realization that there was no food in the house. She went shopping with Sango for a bit and told her what had happened so far, warning Sango she wasn’t suppose to tell anyone yet.
Sango got overexcited about everything. She was jumping and bouncing like a two year old. Her mind revolving around the idea that her best friend would be working for twenty dollars an hour. Kagome tried to make her see reason. After all, it wasn’t like she was guaranteed the job. It was only an interview.
Kagome lugged her bags to the table and rummaged in them. Placing a few things here and there. When she was reaching for the final bag she jumped and dropped it to the floor. The phone ringing had startled her. Kagome mumbled "stupid phone" before walking over to it and picking it up.
“Hello Higurashi residence.”
Good afternoon Kagome. It’s Kaede."
~Or maybe not so stupid phone~ Kagome thought quickly.
“Oh, Kaede I wasn’t expecting a call so soon.” Kagome became nervous and fast. Her fingers were tugging at a lock of hair, twirling it around and around.
Well, you made an impression on me, and let me confide in you that, that is not very common. Upon listening to what occurred during our interview and seeing your resume, Mr. Dom, has decided that he will give you the job. I will have a messenger bring you a schedule and rules of the house now. Tomorrow you will begin working and we will go over the papers you need to sign.”
“I... uh... I mean thanks. Wow. Thank-you. I will see you tomorrow then.” Kagome was really shocked. Her luck really was changing.
I will have a car pick you up since you are unaware of the address. Have a good day.”
“Oh, okay. You too. Bye.” Kagome hung up as she heard the click on the other end. Her heart was pounding.
They had given her the job and it was everything she was looking for. Good wages, good hours, with kids or a kid. Kagome wasn’t sure which. Either way, she was happy. Things were looking up.
Later that day the schedule came and a small list of rules.
Her day would begin at seven and end at seven. Not too hard considering what she would be doing.
7:00 – arrive at the premises7:00 - 7:30 – prepare a breakfast for you and the child
7:30 - 8:00 – clean the mess and have the child dressed
8:00 - 11:00 – have an activities ready if one is not assigned for the day
11:00 - 12:00 – lunch prepared for you and the child, unless otherwise stated, and clean up your mess
12:00 - 4:00 – home tutor, you will be present to help when needed
4:00 - 7:00 – have activities ready if one is not assigned for the day
7:00 – you are allowed to leave once you report to Mr. Taisho and he dismisses you.
It was pretty basic, though one thing bothered Kagome. Not once was the child’s name mentioned. They just titled him or her ‘child’. Kagome sighed and flipped to the bottom page in her hand. How could they label a child as a thing? Of course the girl or boy was a child but to just call the younger being a child and not by their name was just disrespectful. Of course the person who created the paper probably thought of themselves higher then a person so small.
Basic Rules
Your dress must not negatively influence the child.
Your manner of speech must also not negatively influence the child.
Violence towards the child with not be tolerated. This means: physical or emotional.
Stealing household items is prohibited.
A sum of money will be set aside for any activities that the child or you will partake in. This will include trips to the zoo or museums, or needed shopping trips.
The child will never use any form of public transportation. A private car and driver will be provided.
Any attempts made to harm the child in any way by an outside person will be reported immediately.
Each day’s activities will be reported verbally to Mr. Taisho.
There must be at least one educational activity a day.
Some of the rules were a little different. By the sounds of things, she was now babysitting a very important kid. It sounded as if they feared something would happen to him or her. No public transportation, a private car. Home education and educational activities. Higher class for sure.
It was good paying and she loved kids so she would do as the paper stated. It wasn’t that bad. How many people got paid to take a child to the zoo or play in a park all day? Kagome smiled. Not many, but she did, so all that left her with was to make a mental list of things to do. Tomorrow would consist of games to get to know each other. For future reference maybe she and the child could make a list of things he or she liked to do and eat. It would make things easier for Kagome when planning their day.
There was one last note hidden underneath the first two sheets.
A car will be there to pick you up at 6:30 a.m., after that you will find your own way to work.
Early mornings. She didn’t like them but she could deal with them. At least she got the nights off so she could hang out with her friends then. With a steady job she could pay back Sango through a movie invitation. That reminded Kagome that she should call her friend and let her know.
Kagome walked to her bed with the phone in hand as she dialed the numbers she had memorized by heart. She waited patiently as the phone rang and she sat down on her bed, after three rings, Sango picked up on the other line.
“Hey Sango. It’s me Kagome. You’ll never guess what just happened.” Kagome said happily as she smiled to herself. Sango made a random guess on the other line.
Something that had to do with a dog?” Sango guessed lamely.
“No, even better. I got the job!” a happy squeal came from the other end and the two girls spent the rest of the night talking away.

************************************************ ***************************************************
Yeah for chapter two!! Kay well I do have chapters for Mine done, for those who have asked about it. I am merely waiting for them to be edited. It’s a busy time of year.

Ja ne
angelic memories
© 2008