InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life’s Tough Get a Hemlet
By: Miyukyshan

Chapter Two

After five minutes on Miroku’s shoulder, Rin’s bruised hip began to throb unbearably. She squirmed to try and adjust her weight but that only seemed to make it worse. Sango glanced at Rin and noticed the discomfort on her face.

“Miroku… stop. I think you’re hurting her,” Sango said.

Miroku stopped and turned to Sango before gently putting Rin back on the ground. Rin crouched down and leaned over her knees, letting her hair fall over her face.

“Rin, are you all right? Where does it hurt?” Sango asked softly.

Rin sniffled and lifted her shirt high enough so they could see the bruise. Sango whimpered and Miroku sucked in a sharp breath. The bruise was large and an ugly shade of black and purple that stood out against her pale skin.

“Rin, why didn’t you say something? I would have carried you differently if you had told me,” Miroku said, his voice laced with guilt.

Rin held her breath and stood up unsteadily on her good leg. “I’m fine. You guys go on ahead. There’s no way you’ll make it to school on time. I already have an excuse cooked up,” Rin said.

Miroku and Sango were about to voice their protest when Rin gave them a heated glare. When they saw the look in her eyes, they both sighed in defeat.

“You take care of yourself, alright? We’ll see you in class. And no dilly-dallying!” Miroku ordered.

They waved goodbye and disappeared down the street.

Rin groaned when she finally made it to the steps leading up to her school. Forty-five stairs. I have to walk up forty-five stairs. She thought before making her way up.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Ten minutes. Ten mintues to walk up forty-five stairs. Unbelievable! Rin finally made her way to the office and nearly screamed when she saw the school nurse talking to the woman at the front desk.

The look on the nurse’s face said it all and Rin dragged herself to her office. The plump nurse appeared moments later and nearly fainted when she saw Rin’s face close up.

“What happened to you?” she nearly shrieked.

“I fell down the stairs last night. My dad was away at a business meeting and I didn’t want to trouble anyone so I just did what I could and went to sleep. I’m fine, I promise,” Rin lied smoothly.

The nurse cooed over her wounds and even wrapped her leg up before giving her a note to excuse her tardiness. Rin let out the breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding once she stepped out of the office. She limped to her locker and grabbed the book for her next class: AP History.

I hate AP History. It’s so boring. And having the meanest teacher in the entire school doesn’t help. Rin stopped in front of the door and inhaled before pushing it open. When she stepped in the classroom, everything froze. Everyone stopped and stared at her, even the teacher.

“Why, how thoughtful of you to grace us with your presence, Rin. What’s your excuse this time?” the teacher spat.

Rin grumbled under her breath and made her way slowly to the front of the class. After shoving the note in his face, Rin began hobbling back to her desk.

“This does not excuse your tardy, Rin,” the teacher yelled at her back.

Rin stopped and turned slowly toward the teacher while giving one of the most threatening looks she could muster. “I have a perfectly good excuse for being tardy. And if you don’t stop giving me such a hard time, I’ll report you for harassment. You know who my father is, don’t you?” Rin growled.

The teacher stared at her with wide eyes and an open mouth. Rin ignored him and finally made it to her desk. After the frazzled man composed himself, class picked up where it had left off.

Ten minutes later, a white piece of paper landed on her desk. She looked over at Sango, who was smiling eagerly at her. Rin chuckled under her breath and opened the note.

Hey Rin,
Are you ok now? I can’t believe you just told him off! That was so awesome. No one has ever had the guts to say anything to the old man before. I think you inspired us all! Anyways, I wish the popular kids would stop making out in the halls. Me and Miroku were almost late because they decided to swap spit right in front of our lockers! Why don’t you come over to my house today? We’ll call Kagome at lunch and see how she’s doing and if she can come, too. Sound good?
Xoxo
Sango


A little bit below that, Miroku had written something as well.


Rinny,
How are you? I have pretty much the same thing to say as Sango. Can you believe how hard she kicked me this morning? Her abuse has been getting worse! I’m going over to her place, too, which means you have to come. No excuses! Later
Miro


Rin laughed and grabbed her pencil. She quickly reread everything before responding.


Hey guys,
Thanks! It’s all in a day’s work. He was pretty scared, wasn’t he? OK, about the making out thing. They seem to be getting worse. It’s like they’re trying to make us puke. And I can’t come over today. I’m helping Oba make brownies for the baking contest this weekend. Sorry! But we have to give Kags a call. And I’m fine. Don’t worry about me, kay? I better get going. It looks like I’m taking notes and I think he’s getting suspicious. See ya!
Rinny


Rin quickly refolded the note and tossed it back to Sango. After reading it, Sango threw her pencil at Rin.

“Ow!” Rin half-whispered when the pencil collided with her temple. She turned and glared hard at Sango, only to have a dirty sock tossed in her face. Rin grabbed it and chucked it back at Miroku who was giving her an equally evil stare. Rin stuck her tongue out at both of them and turned to face the front of the class.

“All right students, as I told you at the beginning of class, there is going to be a big project. It will account for twenty percent of your final grade and no, you may not pick partners. I’ve already chosen them for you. Will someone please pass out the rubric while I announce the partners? Ah, thank you Taichi. Now as I was saying; let’s see here… Miroku and Sango, you two will be partners.”

Rin heard her friends let out a breath of relief while she groaned.

“Sesshomaru, you will be paired with Rin.”

Rin blocked out her teacher’s voice when she heard Sesshomaru’s name. Her eyes widened in shock as she turned to find her partner already staring at her with cold, honey-coloured eyes. Sesshomaru, the hottest and most popular guy in school, paired up with Rin.

What did I do to deserve this? Rin groaned and let her head fall to her desk. She could hear her friends giggling beside her, but she was too depressed to even try and glare at them.

The bell finally rang and everyone shuffled out of class, leaving Rin behind to struggle out of her desk. She eventually made it to her locker and was happy to throw her AP History book in in exchange for her portfolio. Her favorite class was next: art.

Rin slammed her locker door shut and began nudging her way through the hall. She was close to her classroom. The smell of charcoal and paint burned in her nose and she couldn’t help but smile.

“About the project. When are you able to start?”

Rin was jolted out of her happiness by Sesshomaru’s deep voice. She glared up at his handsome face angrily. “I don’t care, but I’m busy tonight,” she said before trying to limp around him. To her surprise, he stepped in front of her and blocked her path. “What are you doing?” she asked, losing patience with the tall demon.

Sesshomaru looked down his nose at the little spitfire fuming in front of him. His eyes traveled over her face and stopped at the gash above her eyebrow. Rin saw mild concern flash in his eyes before they returned to the emotionless void they usually were. Rin cleared her throat before trying to move around him, but he stepped in front of her again.

“Fine! Tomorrow I’ll come over to your place and start the stupid project. Just get out of my way!” Rin yelled. She was finally allowed to pass but had been so angry she hadn’t seen the guy standing directly behind Sesshomaru.

Her face collided with the rock hard body of Kouga, whose body had been made rock hard from years of football practice. Rin staggered back and brought her hand to her face, horrified to see it was covered with blood. Her wound reopened.

The pain surprised her and she wavered on her feet. The faces surrounding her blurred and darkness crept into the edge of her vision. She saw the look on Kouga’s face and chuckled. It was priceless. Rin smiled bitterly as she felt her legs buckle beneath her. Then she blacked out.