InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan

Chapter Three

September 24
Dear Journal,

Today was possibly one of the worst days of my life. I got knocked in the head and passed out… How pathetic. Kouga was suspended for a week. I had to go to the hospital and the nurses saw my cuts and bruises. It was hard coming up with a story to cover all of it, but I managed.

No one knows about my little secret, and Dad said he’d lay off… a little. Sango and Miroku were furious; they even called Kags. She had to drive all the way to the hospital while trying not to puke on the way.

Unfortunately, all the undigested cologne finally decided to come up. But at least we know she’ll be in school tomorrow. And that she’ll never drink anything that smells funky.

I have to work with Sesshomaru on the history project. He annoyed me about it all the way to art class. At least it gets me away from my dad.

Well, got to go to sleep so I can wake up for school tomorrow. It’s against doctor’s orders but it’s the only place I feel safe and I can’t give that up. Until tomorrow.

Rin

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Another morning, another day of the routine: get up, get dressed, cover injuries, eat. Rin grabbed a banana and headed towards the foyer. She shouted her goodbyes and disappeared into the garden. Today she had to walk to school alone. Kagome was really weak from throwing up so much and Sango refused to leave her side, and Miroku was never too far from Sango.

She smiled when she reached the stairs. Today was a new day. Her limp was barely noticeable, the bruises were fading and the cut above her eye was healing up nicely. She was thankful that over the years her body had accustomed to her father’s ways and healed more quickly than the average human.

Rin proudly took a seat in her empty classroom. She had never been early before, and five minutes into it she realized why.

I’m so bored. She thought with a heavy sigh. The bell in the hallway let out a shrill ring and Rin lifted her head from her desk. She never thought she’d be happy class was starting, especially history. Students shuffled into the room and took their seats. Rin felt almost giddy when a substitute shuffled into the classroom.

The short woman adjusted her glasses and wrote her name illegibly on the board. She walked to the teacher’s desk and read the paper left for her instructing what the students were supposed to do for the day. Her thick reading glasses slipped down her nose and she pushed them back up before looking around the room.

“Your teacher says you’re all to work with your partners on the project he assigned,” she said. After taking role she ordered everyone to move and sit with their partners.

Rin stole a quick glance at Sesshomaru and was surprised when she saw him moving toward her. He sat down gracefully in the chair Kagome usually occupied and edged it closer to her desk.

Sesshomaru noticed the strange look on her face and sighed. “I didn’t want you to put any unnecessary strain on your leg.”

Rin closed her mouth and looked around awkwardly. Everyone else was talking and writing things down. She looked back at Sesshomaru and shuddered at the silence between them. She decided to try and get along with the dog demon. She didn’t want to get a bad grade just because she had to work with him. “So, umm… What do you want to do the project on?” she asked.

Without looking at her, Sesshomaru said, “I was thinking Ancient Greece. Is that all right with you?”

Rin couldn’t help the smile that broke out on her face. She had always had an unexplainable fascination with Greece. She nodded and heard Sesshomaru grunt in approval before handing her a sheet of paper.

“I know you’re in art. You can come up with the design for the model. I will do the written work and then we can get together to construct it.” His tone offered no room for objection and Rin started sketching.

By the end of class, Sesshomaru had some of the paper done and Rin had a completed sketch of their design. She nervously held up her work for Sesshomaru to see.

“You are very skilled. That will do greatly,” Sesshomaru said.

Rin grinned and looked away. Did she find herself happy that she had pleased Sesshomaru? She shook her head and looked away from the handsome demon. Her face started feeling hot and she wondered if she was starting to come down with something.

“I’ll meet you at the front door when school is over. I will drive us to my house and we can work on the project there,” he said as he packed up his belongings.

“I guess that’s fine.” She smiled when he quirked an eyebrow. “But I need to get some things from art class for the model, so if you could wait a few minutes that’d be great.”

Sesshomaru nodded before leaving the classroom.

Well, this is going to be an interesting day. Sesshomaru isn’t as bad as he seems. She thought as she made her way to art class.

Lunch rolled around and Rin was relieved Miroku had finally decided to show up.

“So, how is everything?” Rin asked while poking the questionable food on her plate. She pushed the pile of mush around before opting for an apple instead.

“Kagome is ok, but Sango yelled at me and told me to leave,” he said with a pout.

Rin laughed and took a bite out of her apple. “You were harassing her I bet.”

Miroku gave her his best hurt face before staring at something above her head and dropping his fork. Rin gave him a weird look and turned around to see what he was staring at. She gasped and dropped her apple, but a clawed hand snatched it before it touched the dirty cafeteria floor.

“I believe this is yours,” Sesshomaru said. His voice was low and silky and Rin didn’t like the way it made her stomach feel.

She looked at the fruit stupidly before glancing up into his honey eyes.

“Well, do you want it?” The dog demon’s tone was playful and he wore a small grin to match it.

She finally nodded and grabbed it from his hand. “Yes, thanks. What do you need?” she asked quickly.

Sesshomaru glanced up at Miroku who currently had chewed up food rolling out of his open mouth. He sneered in disgust before looking back down into Rin’s brown eyes. “I want to know what time I have to have you home tonight.”

Rin blushed cutely and chewed her lower lip, causing the demon above her to avert his eyes to her full, pouty mouth.

“I don’t think it really matters. Maybe eight or nine,” she whispered thoughtfully.

“That means you’ll be having dinner with me. What things do you like to eat?” he asked.

Rin’s eyes widened and her mouth worked open and shut as she searched for something to say. She was about to protest when another girl cut her off.

“Why Sesshomaru, what are you doing over here at the loser’s table?”

Rin’s eyes narrowed as Kagura walked into her line of vision. She had managed to drape herself over Sesshomaru and glared down at Rin.

“Kagura…,” Sesshomaru growled in warning.

The beautiful demon detached herself from him but kept a firm grip on his arm. She looked up at him and stuck out her lower lip. “Oh Sesshy, you’re no fun. Come back to our table and play with me,” she whispered suggestively.

Sesshomaru glanced at Rin and saw the disgust in her eyes. He scowled and let Kagura lead him back to their table.

Rin glowered at the two and turned back to Miroku. She couldn’t help herself and burst into a fit of laughter. “Oh Miro, you have the strangest look on your face,” she managed between giggles.

Miroku frowned and threw his fork at her.

When the final bell rang Rin ran to her art class to get the supplies she needed for her night with Sesshomaru. The dog demon waited patiently outside the front doors for her. He almost smiled when he saw her struggling with her burden. He jogged over to her and took most of the things before walking back to his car.

“Thanks,” she mumbled as she followed.

Sesshomaru popped the trunk and dropped everything inside and motioned Rin to do the same. After opening the door for her, Rin hesitantly slipped inside. At first the silence was fine, but after a while she started to fidget. Sesshomaru glared at her bouncing leg and cleared his throat.

“So how far away do you live from school?” Rin asked.

Sesshomaru would have graced her with a response had they not arrived at that moment. Her eyes widened as he brought his car around the curved driveway. A butler was waiting for them and practically ran to open her door.

Rin blushed and thanked him before walking to the trunk, only to run into Sesshomaru. She bounced off his muscled torso and fell backward towards the concrete. She shut her eyes and readied herself for the impact when she felt an arm snake around her waist and hoist her back up.

Sesshomaru pulled Rin against him and nearly groaned at the contact. She was small, but her body molded to his perfectly. He helped steady her before taking a large step backwards. “The butler will get our things,” he said quickly, leaving her to walk up the stairs that led to the mansion.

Rin stood still in the spot he had left her, Sesshomaru’s spicy scent firmly planted in her nose. She blushed a deep red, the feel of his hard body against hers agitating her nerves.

Calm down, he’s just a guy. And he’s Sesshomaru! You hate Sesshomaru! She groaned inwardly and followed the butler into the foyer. The sight that greeted her made her gasp and stop in her tracks. Beautiful artwork and long tapestries hung from the walls of the greeting room. A curved staircase began at the far left of the room, leaving ample space for several cushioned chairs and potted plants.

Rin stared openly at the beautiful room before she was pulled from her thoughts by an amused Sesshomaru. Her face heated when she remembered what happened only a few moments ago, but she trampled down the feelings and marched toward the smug demon.

Sesshomaru chuckled and guided Rin to his room. He closed the door behind her and glared at the pile of art supplies on the floor. Rin, however, seemed more interested in the room.

“Wow, whose room is this? They have great taste in music, and literature,” she mused as she walked around the room and nosed her way into everything she could get her hands on.

“This is my room,” Sesshomaru stated before taking a seat in front of the pile.

Rin turned to glare at Sesshomaru as he innocently arranged things on his floor.

“Are you going to help me or not?” he asked.

She moved to sit on the other side of the pile and unconsciously went into art-mode. She pulled two pencils out of her backpack and pinned her long black hair into a messy bun. Then she set to work setting up and preparing her area.

Sesshomaru watched with interest as she became oblivious to his presence. He was even more surprised when he heard a soft melody coming from the small girl. Sesshomaru closed his eyes and concentrated on the sound of her voice. It was one of the prettiest, most natural voices he had heard in a long time. Sesshomaru hated to disturb her when she seemed so in her element, but if he didn’t do something soon she’d end up doing all the work. “How may I help?”

Rin jumped at the sound of his voice. She forgot about the demon across from her. She glanced around, trying to find something simple she thought he could manage. She finally settled on a large lump of clay. “Here,” she said, smiling, “you can help make the base.”

Three Hours Later

Rin groaned from her sprawled position on the floor, her eyelids heavy. Sesshomaru sighed and sat back after taking off his outer shirt.

“Can we please stop?” Rin whined before curling into an exhausted heap in the middle of his floor. They were both covered in dried and fresh clay, but the base and skeletal structure of their model was finished.

Sesshomaru grunted and stood up. Rin watched as he sauntered over to her before bending and offering his hand.

“Come, Rin. We need to wash up for dinner.”

Rin moaned in disapproval but took his hand. Sesshomaru effortlessly pulled her up and smiled when she waddled to his door. She looked back at him with pleading eyes and he chuckled. He opened the heavy door for her and led her to his bathroom.

“Here are some towels. I’ll give you something to wear since your clothes are so dirty,” Sesshomaru said.

After he left, Rin turned and glared at the shower with fierce determination. She dropped the towels and sluggishly peeled off her soiled clothing. She almost cried from happiness when the hot water washed over her skin and rinsed all the clay and sweat from her body. Rin washed as quickly as she could and reluctantly stepped out of the shower. The towels were warm and fluffy and felt good against her skin. She looked down at her dirty clothing and frowned, not wanting to put the scratchy material back on.

As if on cue, a soft knock came from the other side of the door. Rin checked herself in the mirror before cracking it open.

“Here are some clothes, Miss. I hope they fit to your liking,” a small maid said.

Rin thanked her and accepted the pile of clothing. She shut and locked the door then turned to examine what she was given. A small gasp escaped her lips when she unfolded the beautiful yukata. The silk garment slid through her fingers as Rin studied the delicate pattern. The background was a cream color with hundreds of small, pink sakura blossoms swirling on it. She pulled on the kimono slip and then carefully slipped into the silk yukata. Another knock came on the door just as she was struggling with the obi.

“Miss, I’m here to help you dress if you need it.”

Rin smiled and opened the door. The maid from before gave her a tentative smile in return before going to work on the sash.

I had no idea they preferred style from medieval Japan. Rin mused as the maid finished tying her obi.

“You are ready, Miss,” the maid said before disappearing out the door.

Rin studied her reflection and was surprised when she realized she almost looked pretty. She glanced at herself in the mirror one last time before taking her dirty clothes to
Sesshomaru’s room. A different woman was already waiting to guide her to the dining room. Rin followed her closely, afraid to get lost in the big house.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru looked up from where he sat and almost smiled when Rin entered the room. The young woman saw the satisfaction in his eyes and blushed under his scrutiny.

“And who might this beautiful young lady be?”

Rin looked to the head of the table to see who the voice belonged to. She smiled at the man she knew to be Sesshomaru’s father. They looked exactly the same, except his father’s eyes were filled with warmth and kindness. The man smiled brightly at her and motioned for her to sit down.

“My name is Rin. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sir. Thank you very much for allowing me to join you at your table.” Even Rin was astonished by her display of manners.

The man’s smile deepened as he gave Sesshomaru an approving look. Sesshomaru rolled his eyes in return.

“I am Inutaisho, and the lovely lady at the end of the table is my wife, Izayoi,” he said.

Rin turned to greet the woman and was amazed by her beauty. Her long black hair framed her round face; the dark locks a stark comparison to her pale complexion. The elaborate kimono she wore was crimson red with baby blue and white fans covering it.

“Hello, my dear; it’s such a pleasure to meet you,” she said, her brown eyes sparkling.

Her voice soothed Rin and she found herself jealous of Sesshomaru for having such an angelic woman for a mother.

“Oh no, ma’am, the pleasure is all mine.”

Izayoi smiled pleasantly at Rin who couldn’t help but return the gesture. Rin felt tears stinging in the back of her eyes. This was the kind of woman she had dreamed about since her mother’s death. In fact, this woman reminded Rin of her deceased mother so much she felt some need from deep within to reach out to her and embrace her. Rin sighed and crushed the feeling down along with the tears that threatened to spill. She didn’t want to embarrass herself or make Sesshomaru and his family uncomfortable.

Sesshomaru saw the tears in Rin’s eyes and glanced at his step-mother. He had seen the pained expression on her face before she hid it. He couldn’t even imagine what she was thinking about. His eyes lingered on her beautiful face. He had no idea Rin was such a natural beauty. She always hid behind layers of makeup and baggy clothing.

“Well Rin, my younger son should be here any… Oh, speak of the devil!” Inutaisho exclaimed.

At that moment Rin heard someone crashing through the house. Their loud cursing could be heard all the way from the foyer. She looked around nervously and wondered if this happened every night. The door behind her was flung open and she immediately dropped her head down to stare at her plate.

“Hello, Son! How was your-.”

“I don’t wanna talk about it, Dad.”

Rin’s eyes widened when she realized who the person was. She looked up in horror at the boy seated across from her. His eyes widened and he stood up angrily. Both he and Rin pointed accusing fingers at one another and glared.

“You!” they shouted at each other in disgust.