InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like My Master ❯ Ch. 3: Proving Her Worth ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.


Like My Master
By: Miyukyshan

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Chapter Three: Proving Her Worth

Sayu watched from the doorway as two demons sparred in the middle of a small arena. She could immediately see that the smaller man, a cat demon, was losing horribly to his larger opponent. She couldn't tell what sort of demon the larger man was, but his skill was apparent. The blunt metal swords they were fighting with clashed and sent vibrations through the otherwise still air. Sayu saw her master watching and immediately went over and dropped to the ground in front of him.

Sesshomaru glared at the woman at his feet. "You are not required to bow every time you come within my presence. Stand up and get ready. You will be next."

Sayu rose and turned to watch the match, grateful her new master didn't want her on the floor every time she saw him. They were closer to her now, and she saw the power in the larger man's swing when he countered his partner's attack and sent him tumbling to the ground.

"Match," the winning male declared, "but you've gotten much better."

The larger demon smiled and helped the man who lost back to his feet. When he looked at her, she dropped her eyes and stared at the ground. The man smiled again and made his way over to them after saying goodbye to the other demon.

"Lord Sesshomaru, is this my new sparring partner?" he asked with a grin.

Sesshomaru didn't return the gesture. "Kaito, do with her what you've done with the others. I need to make sure she can handle her task."

She felt Kaito looking at her but waited for the command from her master. Thankfully, she didn't have to wait long.

"Woman, go and fight."

Sayu finally looked up at Kaito and was surprised by how handsome he was. She saw now that he was a tiger demon, and a big one at that. He had removed his shirt and revealed the black stripes that ran down his arms and across his waist, accentuating the lean muscle of his torso and shoulders. A few more snuck out of his hairline and ran down his forehead and cheeks, making his light green eyes stand out. His lips tilted up in a half grin and Sayu steeled herself against his kind eyes. This man was going to try and kill her in a few moments. She couldn't allow herself to be sucked in by his smile. Maybe that's how he beat all his opponents; make them feel and see his kindness, and then reveal his strength and eradicate them. She would not be one of those opponents.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Kaito was surprised by the instant change in the woman before him. A moment ago she was on the ground showing complete submission, and after a smile from him she hardened her whole body, even her eyes. He could see the fighter inside of her and knew she would be a decent challenge. Kaito looked at Sesshomaru and flashed him a cocky grin.

"Lord Sesshomaru, I see you've finally brought someone to me who has a fighting spirit." He turned his eyes back to Sayu and returned her defiant stare. "This will be fun."

After a soft chuckle, Kaito disappeared from her line of vision. Sayu crouched down low and waited for him to reveal himself. She heard a rustle to her left and a brush of air against her cheek and immediately turned to block his attack. Arms crossed in front of her, she caught and redirected his fist so the impact didn't break her forearms.

Kaito jumped back and landed, laughing, a few feet from her. His eyes were wild with excitement when he looked at Sesshomaru, then back to her. "A worthy opponent," he cried out before lunging at her.

Sayu ducked to the side and shifted to kick his legs out from under him, but he jumped in time and brought his claws down. She rolled from under him and landed in a crouching position across from Sesshomaru. Kaito laughed loudly and turned towards her.

This man is insane. Sayu thought before he lunged at her again. She flipped back across the room, avoiding each of his well-placed attacks, before landing against the wall and pushing off. Her body collided with his and the two went rolling to the ground. Sayu knew she had no chance against him when it came to brute strength, and if she stayed on the ground he would kill her. She immediately rolled off him, narrowly escaping his powerful arms, and jumped back into her fighting stance.

Kaito jumped up and picked up his discarded sword, grinning madly at her. "You obviously know what your strengths and weaknesses are. Let's see how you fare when it comes to weapons."

Sayu glanced around the room and was disappointed to find the other sword hanging on the wall behind him. She didn't have time to look for another because Kaito was running at her, sword drawn, and he didn't seem to care that she was unarmed. She growled and ran at him, happy when she saw the confusion on his face, and ducked so fast to the left it looked like she disappeared.

Kaito stopped and turned just in time to see her grab the sword off the wall and attack him. She brought her sword down hard and when the two connected a loud ringing echoed through the room.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru watched, ashamed to admit he was impressed with the woman's abilities. She moved much the same way she had when going against Jaken, and she didn't appear to be human at all. He wondered if the shackles around her wrists had something to do with her power and speed.

He continued watching as the two threw their swords together again and again. Sesshomaru had never found anyone who matched Kaito when it came to fighting. In fact, Sesshomaru was one of the few men ever able to beat the tiger demon in combat, and no woman had. He frowned as Kaito got more and more hysterical. His old friend always got a little too excited when he found someone worth fighting, and today was no exception. But the woman seemed to keep her composure, and her movements were fluid and graceful; even more so than Kaito's. Whoever trained her had done it well.

"That is enough," Sesshomaru said.

Sayu barely heard the command and stopped immediately to face her master, but Kaito was mid-swing and not bound by a curse to obey and his sword came down hard across her back. Sayu choked out a cough and fell to one knee, holding herself up with her arms. Her weakened body was not capable of sustaining such a brutal attack, and the pain made her vision blur.

Kaito dropped his sword and bent over her, a guilty look in his eyes. "I'm so sorry. Are you all right?"

Sayu clenched her teeth and grunted, standing up on wobbly legs. She stumbled forward and bowed to her master despite the pain the small movement sent through her body.

Sesshomaru's brows cinched together as he considered her. He had to admit she was tough. She had proven to be a skilled fighter, and she would be able to fend for herself in the woods if needed, but there was something about her that unnerved him. Something wasn't right. He tossed the thought aside for the moment and nodded at Kaito, who moved away from the young woman who was still bent over.

"Slave, you will do. I will send Jaken to take you to your new quarters. Get some rest, tomorrow your duties begin."

Sayu stared at the ground until she heard the doors close behind her master. When they clicked shut she dropped to the ground and pressed a hand to her back. Kaito rushed forward and lifted the shirt to reveal an angry red mark already swelling into a bruise. He winced and ran a finger over the injury. Sayu shriveled away from the unfamiliar contact and pulled her shirt back down.

"Are you all right?" Kaito asked again.

Sayu clenched her teeth and looked up at the tiger demon. "It will heal," she answered smoothly.

Kaito stared at her curiously, unsure why her voice sounded so familiar to him. "Have we met before?" he asked.

Sayu shook her head and inhaled deeply, lifting herself off the ground and stretching her back out in one fluid motion. "That is impossible," she said. "I didn't even know about this place until my master brought me here."

Kaito grimaced as the bones in her back popped, but he was impressed. "Where did you learn to fight?"

Sayu finished cracking her neck and leaned against one of the wood beams. "My first master. He found me wandering in the woods and took me home. I studied under his care until he died twenty years later."

Kaito stared at her. She could see the confusion on his face.

"You're wondering how old I am, aren't you?" she asked with a wry laugh. There was curiosity in his eyes and she didn't wait for him to respond. "I wish I could answer that. I remember nothing before my first master, but I've been passed on as a slave for nearly sixty years."

"Then you can't possibly be human," Kaito whispered excitedly. "You don't look a day over twenty."

Sayu's grin disappeared and she lifted her hands for him to see. "Do you see these shackles? This is what keeps me from aging. I am human, but whoever cursed me wanted me to stay like this forever. I don't remember what I did or who I angered, but I am bound to whoever I am forced to make the connection with. I am to be a slave for all of eternity." Sayu dropped her hands and sighed in defeat.

Kaito felt pity for the girl, and was about to say so when Jaken burst through the doors.

"Come, Slave! Lord Sesshomaru has decided to keep you after all. Follow me to your room."

Sayu gave Kaito a small smile before following the irritated toad demon to her new home.