InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like My Master ❯ Ch. 11: The Demon Within ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Like My Master
By: Miyukyshan

Chapter Eleven: The Demon Within

Previously:

"I want you," she whimpered, and then realized how badly she really did want the man holding her. She wanted to mate with him and carry his pups and have him all to herself, but it wasn't possible. "Sesshomaru, we can't… You and I can't—"

"I know," he said gently.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered against his chest.

Sesshomaru sighed and pressed feather-light kisses along her jaw. "No more talking," he said huskily before taking her lips in his own. He felt her tiny hands push at the fabric of his shoulders and slipped his arms out of the long sleeves. Sesshomaru moaned into her mouth when her slender fingers ran over the taut muscles of his torso and he gently eased her to the ground.

Hot skin slid over her naked flesh and she arched into him to maintain the delicious contact. The demon lord complied and settled his weight over her, careful not to crush her, and hungrily explored her mouth.
Sayu wrapped her arms around Sesshomaru's shoulders and raked her nails over the skin on his back, making him groan and press against her. A cry of protest escaped her mouth when he broke contact and was quickly replaced with a loud moan as his tongue and lips traveled lower. He stopped to take in her beautiful form; face flushed and lips swollen from his kiss, full chest trembling from her labored breathing.

"Tonight, you are mine," he said roughly before descending on her, eyes flashing red.

Rin tiptoed around the cave with her arms thrown out for balance, the childish song she hummed echoed through the small cave. Large puddles covered the ground and she jumped over them, playing some game only she knew the rules to. Jaken was grumbling at the opening with Ah-Un sleeping soundly beside him.

"Master Jaken, how much longer until Lord Sesshomaru and Onee-san come back?" Rin asked as she narrowly avoided another large puddle.

"How am I supposed to know? I've been a faithful servant all these years and he still never tells me anything! Now he's out consorting with some human slave who doesn't deserve to lick his boots!"

"Master Jaken, what does consorting mean?"

Jaken's mouth dropped open when he realized his error and he turned sharply on Rin. "Stupid girl! Don't repeat that word!"

Rin set her jaw and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm not stupid! And if you won't tell me I'll just go ask Lord Sesshomaru."

A terrified squawk pierced the silence of the cave and the little toad demon jumped in front of Rin's retreating form. "All right, all right," he huffed, trying to stave off the wave of embarrassment he was being forced to relive. "Do you remember the talk you and I had last summer? When two demons decide they want to become mates?"

Rin's face flushed instantly and she covered her ears. "No, not again! I don't want to hear about that adult stuff again!"

"You asked me what consorting meant you silly little girl!"

The wheels started turning in Rin's mind as she processed and connected the two ideas Jaken presented to her. Her eyes brightened and she flashed a delighted smile at her conclusion. "Lord Sesshomaru and Onee-san are mates? She's like my mother then!" Rin bounced and clapped her hands as Jaken rubbed his temples and let out a groan.

"That's not what I said…" he mumbled.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

The leaves perched over the sleeping pair quivered as the wind pulled at their delicate stems. A few stray drops of rainwater were shaken free and fell on Sayu's cheek. She shivered and wiped away the cold water before stretching her arms and biting back a loud yawn. Confusion swept through her when she finally cracked an eye and was met with smooth, naked flesh. Upon further inspection she discovered it was Sesshomaru's bare chest she was so comfortably reclined against. Her gaze traveled to the fabric draped precariously low on his hips. A thick line of silver hair disappeared under the white cloth and a bright hue flushed her cheeks when she realized how very naked he was. She looked down to make sure she was still at least partially dressed. When she saw her pants secured in place, if not a little disheveled, she sighed and fell back onto his shoulder.

Sesshomaru grunted and shifted so his other arm wound around her waist and pinned her against him. The familiar contact brought back the memory of her lord's curious hands and she shivered. How she survived their little tryst only half naked would forever remain a mystery to her.
Not wanting to wake the slumbering demon, Sayu settled back against him and studied his handsome face. She liked watching him sleep. His face wasn't drawn back in a grimace and his eyes weren't narrowed and calculating. She had to laugh at his overly self-controlled demeanor. But then again, he was a lord over a vast domain. If he showed weakness he would be challenged. Self-control and rigidity were part of the job.
Despite his cold treatment of nearly everyone he encountered, Sayu noticed he was looking at her with a softer gaze than before. Sometimes she caught him watching her, and he scowled and looked away like an embarrassed child.

A small giggle slipped through her lips and Sesshomaru's ear twitched, but he didn't move. Sayu stared at the pointed flesh and smiled. He was a demon, but he accepted her. The even greater miracle was that she was his slave and he had taken her in his arms as if she were an equal, as if she were his lover. Even thinking about his powerful embrace and frenzied kisses were enough to make her want him again. Sayu's smile faded. She would never have him though, not really. The shackles around her wrist hummed against her skin as if to mock her. To have Sesshomaru meant she needed to break the curse, and that already proved impossible. Tears gathered in her eyes as she realized the futility of her situation. She could never ask Sesshomaru to take her when he couldn't fully have her. They would never have pups of their own and Sesshomaru would grow old and die with no heirs to take his place. Granted, it would be a very long time before that happened, but she could and would never ask that of him. The magic was also unpredictable. She didn't know how long she would live. The way things were going now she could even outlive him. The idea made her sick and she pushed the image of a grey and dying Sesshomaru from her mind.

How cruel life was to keep her from the man she loved.

The thought made her start. Love? Do I love Sesshomaru? She didn't need to wait long for an answer.

Yes. The voice came from somewhere deep inside and it warmed her a little.

It seemed detached and somehow like hers, but not quite. It was sensual and wild and possessive. She thought Sesshomaru might like that voice. The confidence with which it responded made Sayu sure.

She was in love with the Lord of the Western lands.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru's ear twitched when he heard a feminine giggle rise out of the quiet air. He tried to remember everything that happened only a few hours ago. Sayu's heat nearly drove him insane with need and he had trouble piecing things back together through the red haze. The only thing he was sure of was that they hadn't completed the act; his achy, weak body was a testament to that. The shackles around her wrists had even given him a few warning shocks when he got too close to the area giving off that delicious scent. He wanted to groan when he felt her settle back against him. Her soft breasts pressed into his chest and he wanted nothing more than to flip her over and claim her right there in the muddy grass. Sesshomaru found the strength to restrain himself and continued to let her think he was sleeping. He was surprised she hadn't figured out he was awake yet. Judging by the flurry of emotions he felt coming from her, she was too preoccupied to care.

Women… he huffed. The impatient dog demon resigned himself to lie still while she daydreamed so he could figure a way out of his predicament. What they did wasn't a mistake, he'd be lying to himself and to her if he said it was, but it still shouldn't have happened. Sayu was a human woman, albeit a strong one, but human nonetheless. He couldn't let his feelings get in the way of his duty. He also couldn't stand to be compared to his father. Besides, Sayu couldn't bear him any pups, and if she did they would be half demons. Inuyasha would never let him hear the end of it if he sired half demons. That's if the curse is even broken.

Sesshomaru frowned. He couldn't believe he was even contemplating mating the human. As a lord he was required to take a woman of good breeding and someone who could form a beneficial alliance. His father had done as much, but he had also taken a human on the side to satiate the need for love.
Love. Did he love this woman? No, he knew that. There was only one woman he could have loved, and she was gone. But Sayu came close. He inhaled her scent and, aside from going mad with desire, it calmed him and filled him with warmth. Sesshomaru juggled with the idea of taking her as a mistress, but dismissed it almost as soon as it came to him. That wouldn't be fair to Sayu or his future mate. There was no way he could win. Even if he did take her as a mistress, it would still be a life of servitude. Sesshomaru knew he had a way of demanding something be done instead of asking. This was a habit that came with growing up with power and wealth. Normal women could refuse him, but Sayu would be forced to obey. Simple phrases could become death sentences if she didn't comply immediately. That wasn't the kind of life she deserved to live. But he couldn't get rid of her. Rin's attachment was too strong, and he was starting to worry his was, too.

There was only one thing to be done, and that was forget everything that happened and go back to the way things were. Sesshomaru would have to live with admiring her from a distance and stealing glances when she wasn't looking.

Empowered by his decision, Sesshomaru opened his eyes and looked straight into Sayu's black orbs. She looked startled and her full mouth parted in shock. He looked at her lips and resisted the urge to press his own against hers. He set his mouth in a thin line and did his best to look irritated. When did this get so difficult? He growled.
Sayu seemed to sense his irritation and pulled back a little. This gave him the opportunity he needed to pull away and distance himself from her sweet scent. He stood, unabashedly showing his gorgeous body. Sayu had the decency to blush and look away and Sesshomaru inhaled sharply at her beauty. He dressed quickly and tried not to look while she pulled her own shirt on. When she finally stood and faced him she looked unsure and a little ashamed.

"So what do we do now?" she asked after a moment.

Sesshomaru gave her an icy glare and lifted his chin. "Everything proceeds as normal."

She looked visibly winded by his declaration, like someone punched her in the gut. "What do you mean? Last night you-."

"Was overcome by the scent of your heat. I was weak and gave in to instincts. It won't happen again." The words burned in his mouth and he wanted to take them back the second he saw the look on her face. He reminded himself of a future with her; constant, unintended orders and possible punishments. It helped him stand his ground and he stood a little straighter.

Sayu shrunk away from him. Desperation made her fold in on herself and she stared at him with frightened eyes. Unable to see her heartbroken face any longer, Sesshomaru turned and began to make his way back to their waiting group. If she tried to reason with him again he would have to scare her into silence. The thought made his stomach churn, but it might be the only way. He hoped she would drop it and carry on like they did before, but luck was not on his side.

"Sesshomaru, please wait! I-."

The demon lord growled angrily and turned on her. Crimson seeped into his eyes and he snarled viciously. He took his anger at himself and pushed it on her. I don't want to do this… he thought grimly. The words fell out of his mouth but he hardly realized what was being said.

"Slave! Who are you to call me by my name? I am your master! You are never to speak of what happened again."

He watched in agony as Sayu stumbled back and fell to the ground. Her eyes were wide with fear as the shackles around her wrists began to glow bright blue. She held them up to her face and stared in expectant shock. Sesshomaru froze when she looked up at him. He didn't understand what was happening, but she seemed to. Sayu didn't refuse an order and he didn't demand punishment, so why was she receiving one? Realization dawned on him just as the shackles sent the magic through her. For some reason he didn't feel anything, but her pain was immediate. Her body shriveled to the ground and she pressed her hands to her head while she screamed.
Sesshomaru watched in horror, confused as to why the pain wasn't gradual and why it wasn't going away. The man who sold her said the magic would react to his anger. He must have been irritated enough for it to activate. But he hadn't even been mad at her, just angry in general. A sick feeling rose in his gut when he realized it didn't matter. Any anger from him would be interpreted as her fault, and she was dealt a swift and agonizing punishment. He tried his best to calm down, hoping the magic would recede.

The magic immediately drew away and Sayu's body sagged in relief, but her face was drenched in her own blood and she was breathing heavily. He moved toward her and she flinched away, terrified of another brutal torture. It was the first time she'd been punished as a direct result of him. He wanted to comfort her, but perhaps this had worked out for the best. She would stay away from him now and be saved from a cruel future with him. She would be Rin's companion and be well-fed, dressed and trained in anything she desired.

But she'll still be a slave. Sesshomaru shook the thought away and moved forward again. She had to at least know he was sorry, that he didn't mean for it to be like this. "I'm sorry," he said. "I wasn't angry with you and I didn't want you to… to go through that. Please forgive me." He bowed his head to show he meant every word. The shuffling of grass and dirt reached his ears and he looked up to see her standing, still looking at him with those dark, heartbroken eyes.

"Of course, Master. Forgive this slave for thinking she was anything but that."

A keening whine rose up Sesshomaru's throat, but he swallowed it and nodded. He hated how the word 'Master' came from her mouth, but it had to be this way. She was a human and a cursed slave. The most he could do for her was break the curse and then ask her to stay; for Rin's sake, of course. He would have to do a lot of reading when they returned to the castle, and then maybe try to make their failed journey again sometime soon.

Sayu shifted in front of him and he was brought back to the present moment. Her bloody face was horrific, and he told her to go clean up before they returned. They made their way back slowly. Sesshomaru could tell she was weak and dizzy and tried not to push her too fast. When they reached the other two members of the group Sesshomaru merely grunted and headed off toward the castle. The demon lord remained deep in thought for the rest of the trip, thinking of the scrolls contained in his office regarding curses and whether or not a certain slave's could be broken.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

The journey home was long and silent. Sesshomaru refused to travel any farther with her in her current "condition."

"You will only attract trouble," the demon lord said.

Sayu cringed when she thought of his harsh words. Had she known her feelings ran so deep for the mysterious demon she would have worked harder to guard her heart. And my head… She thought as she pressed her fingers to her temple. Her head still throbbed from her unintentional punishment. But that was nothing compared to the pain of his rejection.
Thankfully Rin seemed oblivious. The little human was accustomed to Sesshomaru's mood swings and sudden changes in direction. In fact, she seemed more pleased than usual. She gave Sayu gleeful smiles whenever she was caught observing her.

Rin, what are you thinking? Sayu thought as she held back fresh tears.
Sesshomaru's steps faltered as another wave of sorrow passed through her, but Sayu no longer cared. He would have to suffer with her through the grief he caused. A small growl worked its way up her throat as she wiped away the irritating liquid. She cried more in the short time she knew Sesshomaru than she had in her horribly long life.

The dog demon ruling her thoughts stopped suddenly and glanced off into the forest.

"We'll stop here for now," he said before disappearing in the trees.

"My Lord, wait for me!" Jaken yelled as he ran after his master.

Sayu stared after him and sighed before turning to Rin. She had a strange smile on her face and was swaying back and forth.

"Rin, are you all right?" Sayu asked.

The girl in question glanced around nervously and started wringing her hands. "Onee-san, can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Now that you and Lord Sesshomaru are mated, can I call you Okaa-san?"
The innocent question made Sayu step away and stare at her with wide eyes.

"Who told you we were mated?"

"Well, when you and Lord Sesshomaru left the cave I asked Jaken-sama where you were and he said you were constorting. I didn't know what that meant and he said it was when two demons loved each other but different. You're a human and he's a demon so it's called constorting instead, right?"

Sayu would have laughed at her ridiculous conclusion had it not been so sad. Consorting, indeed. She took a deep breath and knelt down to Rin's height. "The word you're thinking of is consorting, and Master and I did no such thing."

Rin's smile faded. "So you aren't mated?"

Sayu shook her head slowly.

"So I can't call you Okaa-san and I'm still an orphan?"

Fresh tears threatened to fall and she pulled Rin to her. "You're such a silly child. I've thought of you as mine ever since you snuck into my room the first night. You can call me whatever you want so long as Master doesn't correct you."

Rin sniffled against the fabric of her shirt and wrapped her tiny arms around her neck. "You mean it?"

Sayu laughed and pulled away so she could look Rin in the eyes. "Yes. And even if he says not to you may still call me that when we're alone." The heaviness in Sayu's heart lifted a little when the joy returned to Rin's face.

"I have an Okaa-san!" Rin squealed as she clutched at Sayu again.
And I finally have the daughter I've always wanted. "Now let's go find some firewood before it gets dark."

"Yes, Okaa-san," Rin said before grabbing Sayu's hand and pulling her toward the forest.

A genuine smile lit up Sayu's face as she let Rin tug her along.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru flew through the clouds, ignoring the small imp clinging to his tail. He didn't know when Jaken grabbed a hold, but he had more pressing matters. A demon had been tracking them for hours and suddenly veered off course. Sesshomaru intended to confront the unwanted follower, but he was proving elusive.

Another deep whiff sent the frustrated dog demon to the right. Concentration was another thing that seemed to be avoiding him. The memory of Sayu's sweet face contorted in absolute pleasure kept dissolving into blood-covered misery. Her agonized screams played over and over in his mind, and knowing he caused it tortured him. It was an accident, of course. He wasn't even mad at her, just the idea of not being able to be with her. The magic interpreted his feelings differently and dished out her punishment. Despite his often violent and bloody encounters with other demons, seeing her suffer like that was something he would never get over.

Sesshomaru shook his head and came to a stop. He breathed in and scowled. The scent had been drifting to the right at such a gradual pace he didn't notice until he was almost facing the direction he came from. Tricky bastard… he thought before taking off in the direction of his two female companions. He'd been a fool to leave Sayu in her current state. Sesshomaru could only hope she was as strong as she seemed and able to hold the demon off long enough for him to return.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

A strange chill shot up Sayu's spine and she glanced into the forest. Ah-Un let out a sad whine and nuzzled into her tangled hair. She laughed at his ticklish kisses and nudged him away.

"Silly dragon," she teased as she scratched two scaly muzzles. "Even you can see how sad I am. I must not be trying hard enough."

Ah-Un whined again and blew hot air across her face. Sayu choked as the dragon's foul breath burned in her nose and pushed him away.

"Rin sure is taking her time with those berries," Sayu said to herself as she bent and tried again to light the fire. The flame snuffled out before it could take hold. Frustrated, Sayu tossed the flint to the ground and crossed her arms. The rain soaked everything to the bone. There would be no fire. She looked at the dragon and scowled. "I could use a little help here."

Ah-Un seemed to snicker before dropping his massive heads to the pile of wet sticks. He froze and craned his neck to sniff the air.

"What is it?" Sayu asked.

The two-headed dragon growled in response and turned to the spot Sayu was just eyeing.

"Ah-Un?" Sayu tried again before standing.

The sound of rustling bushes broke through the trees and Sayu moved next to the growling demon. Low hissing came from her left and a face appeared above the foliage. Sayu immediately took a defensive stance and scowled. Rin was still nowhere to be seen.

"Who are you?" Sayu called out.

The demon's tongue flicked out, tasting the air, and she saw it was forked like a reptile's. His eyes rolled back in his head and he moaned before rising from his hiding place. The body seemed human enough on top, but everything below his torso was snake.

"So you're the one giving off that delicious scent? I've been following for so long and finally got that dog off my tail."

Sayu's heart sank. He was fast and smart enough to throw Sesshomaru off his trail. The snake demon slithered forward and took another deep whiff. Ah-Un growled and moved to block Sayu from his view. She placed a hand on his muscled shoulder and leaned into him.

"Ah-Un, go find Rin and get her off the ground. I can handle this," she whispered.

The dragon didn't seem to believe her but she pushed him more firmly and he whined and leapt into the air.

The demon slithered forward and more of his enormous bulk came into view. The scales covering his body were thick and glinted dangerously, each one black as coal and ending in a sharp point. A bright red pattern weaved through the onyx scales, a signal to others to stay clear. Just as she predicted, a milky-white substance dripped from his exposed fangs. Even she would be brought down by a well-placed bite from a poisonous snake demon. The terrifying creature hissed loudly and dove for her, but Sayu moved before he could wrap his hands around her.

"A quick one. I always love a little fight in my women," he said and lunged again.

A solid kick to the face sent him backwards. He let out a pained shout and turned to look at her slowly, an angry sneer pulling his lips down and showing the full length of his deadly fangs. "You will pay dearly for that."

Sayu shot him a smug grin and settled back into her stance. "Only if you can catch me."

The snake roared and threw his body forward, but the sound of soft singing brought him up short. Seconds later Rin came skipping out singing a song Sayu taught her with an armful of berries.

"Okaa-san! Look at all the berries—," Rin began, but went still at the sight of the monster before her.

The snake looked from Rin to Sayu with a malicious grin. "Okaa-san?" he repeated, tasting the word with a flick of his tongue.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion. The demon turned fully on Rin, not concerned that Sayu could easily attack him from behind. Rin's eyes fell on her protector and her eyes filled with tears. Sayu looked at her with such desperate fear Rin took a step back. "Rin," she screamed, "run!"

Dropping all the berries she worked so hard to pick, Rin immediately turned on her heel and disappeared into the forest. The demon snarled and raced after her.

"No!" Sayu cried and lunged at the disappearing tail. She managed to grab a hold and planted her feet firmly in the ground. Her determination managed to slow the squirming beast. She tried to rip back the scales, but they were so hard and sharp they sliced through her skin like the metal of a blade.

The demon looked back at her and flicked his massive tail, sending Sayu crashing through the trees. "Stupid woman, I'll deal with you later," he hissed before slithering after Rin.

Shrugging off the pain, Sayu pushed herself from the ground. Bloody prints were left on the grass, but she ignored the red liquid gushing from her hands. Kaito's wooden sword had done more damage to her back. The demon was weak, but his hard scales and deadly venom made him dangerous. Sayu shook the leaves and dirt from her body and took off full speed after the snake. She heard Rin scream and her vision blurred and went red. Her pup was in danger. She could hear the demon's body moving through the grass, smell his disgusting scent. A clearing was just up ahead and she barreled through it, snarling with claws poised. It had Rin by the throat.

She barreled toward his midsection and dug her hand into the snake's thick body. The broken scales ripped through her skin as she buried her arm nearly to her shoulder. He let out a shrill scream and thick, hot blood oozed from the wound. The demon turned on her, dropping Rin in the process. The frightened girl scuttled back and pressed herself against a tree. The snake took in Sayu's appearance and hesitated. Her eyes were as red as the liquid draining from the wound she made and the band around her visible wrist was glowing bright blue.

"What the hell are you?" he bellowed before once again shaking her loose.
Rin screamed when Sayu's body connected with the thick trunk of a nearby tree. The demon moved quickly and coiled around her, trapping her inside his body. The scales ripped small tears all over her body and the air was pushed out of her lungs. The tree snapped against her back, drawing a pained grunt from the snarling woman.

Confidence returning, the snake brought his face close to hers. "What are you? No demon has ever broken through my scales. And you appear to be only human."

Sayu snarled at the creature hovering near her. In response he tightened his grip and some of her ribs snapped like twigs. She sucked in a sharp breath at the sudden pain and dropped her head. The demon snickered and flicked his tongue out.

"Hmm, I guess you are just human. I'm going to enjoy devouring you," he whispered against her hair. "And once I'm done with you I'm going to eat that brat you call your child."

"I don't recall giving you permission to eat my slave."

The snake turned just in time to see Sesshomaru's toxic claws slice through the coils holding Sayu. His torso was severed and fell away in clumps while the snake thrashed on the ground. As soon as the hunks of flesh twisted away Sayu fell to her knees and wrapped an arm around her ribcage. Sesshomaru didn't bother to hide his disappointment.

"Why did I purchase you? The only task you've been charged with you failed."

Sayu kept her eyes to the ground. She could take his anger. The majority of her masters would deliberately become angry just to induce punishment. But the disappointment she felt from him roiled in her stomach and made her want to disappear in the dirt. The worst part about it was he was right and it nearly killed her to think Rin would have died.

"What have you to say for yourself?" Sesshomaru demanded.

Sayu struggled to drop her head to the ground. "Nothing, Master. There is no excuse for my failure. Please do what you feel is necessary." Some of the anger she felt coming from him subsided and she pressed lower into the ground. Her head had enough torture for one day.

The sound of retreating footsteps made her look up and she was relieved to see him walking away. She was forgiven. Slowly rising to her knees, Sayu let out a long breath and smiled. She glanced at Rin, safe and happy at her lord's side, and received an impish grin from the girl. The only thing that mattered to Sayu was Rin's safety. After Sesshomaru made it very clear that she was dirt on his boots, the girl was all she had left. Sayu smiled back despite her injuries and limped toward the group. Rin glanced behind Sayu and her smile vanished. She heard Rin's scream first, then the crunching of leaves. When she turned to see what Rin was looking at she was horrified to see the top half of the snake demon slithering out of control. The demon was still alive, and it was snarling and hissing as it moved faster than she thought possible toward Sesshomaru.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder casually, preparing to turn and rip the snake's throat out. But Sayu's lean frame appeared out of nowhere and she tackled the snake to the ground. It shrieked and clamped down on her throat.

The pain was instant and she screamed as the poison burned through her veins. Sesshomaru ripped the crazed demon from her and shredded him before he could inject her with more. Rin was already at Sayu's side, crying and clutching her arm.

"Okaa-san!" she screamed. "Okaa-san!"

Sesshomaru looked at the girl in surprise as her screams were eventually drowned out by Sayu's. The human woman was choking and writhing against the ground. To save her he would have to fly.

"Jaken," he commanded, "take Ah-Un and Rin and head back to the castle."

Jaken nodded dumbly and started tugging Rin away. She screamed and fought against him until Sesshomaru grabbed a handful of her kimono and pulled her back. The headstrong girl turned to glare at her lord, but the look he gave her quieted her and she let Jaken lead her to Ah-Un. Sesshomaru turned his attention back to the woman on the ground. Both hands were wrapped around the wound and the skin showing beneath was turning an ugly shade of purple. The venom still hadn't begun dissolving her flesh, a testament to Sayu's inhuman strength, but even a demon would eventually succumb to such deadly poison. Her eyes were wide and dark with fear, and Sesshomaru had to look away.

He bent to lift her, but even that small movement caused her pain. She whimpered and pressed her face in his shoulder. The bond they shared spared him the worst of it. It was more an awareness that she was injured, like a dulled echo of the injury. It made his blood hot and he felt a little sick. Without wasting any more time, he dissolved into a ball with Sayu in his arms and shot toward his castle. Jaken and Rin's scents vanished in a matter of seconds and he hoped she would last the few minutes it took to make it back.

They made it to the castle in record time. Sesshomaru gave orders and had a room fitted up with the best demon doctor in his domain within minutes of his arrival. He gave strict instructions. If they let her die, first they would have to explain to Rin how they failed her, and then he would kill them. Those were the words he left them with, and now he was in his study trying to drown out the agonized screams of his slave. They weren't quite as bad as the incident with Lady Amaya, but she could still be heard at a good distance. The thought of Amaya put a foul taste in his mouth. He should have banished her long before her little stunt with Sayu. The scheming woman should have died after that night 100 years ago.

Sesshomaru clenched his fists. Amaya was the last person he should be thinking about, and killing her certainly wouldn't change the past.
But it'd be a good start… Sesshomaru thought while picking up his place in the scroll he had draped over a table. The events of the last day were wearing on him. He had to get farther away from Sayu, from her screams and the wretched curse that bound her to him. The great demon lord planned on doing just that when a tremor ran through the entire castle.
Paintings shook against the wall and he caught a cup just as it fell from the table. Just as quickly as it came it stopped, but a pressure was building up inside his head. Sesshomaru pressed his palms flat against his temples. A menacing growl rose in his chest as his vision blurred. Then something snapped and he was released from the immense pressure. There was a moment of silence before Sayu's screams reached a new height. She had to be dying. She had to be close. It was when he regained his composure that he sensed it. An aura was hanging in the air. It was powerful but skewed so he couldn't recognize it, like it was bound and trying to break out. Something was reaching out for him, looking for him. The aura reached out and brushed against his and a shiver went down his spine.

"My Lord, come quick! Something has happened."

How long had the doctor been standing there? Sesshomaru brushed away the strange sensation and glared at the small demon. "You weren't able to stop the poison from spreading." It was more a statement than a question, but the doctor shook his head.

"No, My Lord. Her body burned the poison off a long time ago. It's something else. We don't know what to make of it."

"Why wasn't I made aware of this sooner?"

"You told us not to bother you unless it was an emergency."

Sesshomaru snarled and barreled past the demon. If she died Rin would never be the same. It hadn't been long, but the child already formed an unbreakable bond with the human. And so have I. Sesshomaru stopped in his tracks at his own ridiculous thought. Another wave of screaming that was starting to sound very much like roaring filled the silent castle. He burst through the doors just as Sayu was taking a breath. A group of servants were huddled around her, staring at her in shock but too afraid to get near. Sayu was on the ground snarling and screeching like a wild animal. She looked… different.

His eyes traveled over her quickly, trying to figure out what to make of the situation. Her canines lengthened considerably and ended in sharp points instead of the blunt edges they used to be. Her eyes were wide and glaring and as red as the blood pouring from her palms thanks to her newly acquired claws. She still smelled human, but there was another smell in the air now. It was still heavily masked so he couldn't tell what she was, but it was the scent of a demon.

"Everyone back away," Sesshomaru ordered.

The servants obeyed and pressed themselves against the walls. Sesshomaru walked up to the struggling woman on the floor and let out a breath. She was trying so hard to get up. He finally realized why she hadn't attacked them. The shackles around her wrists were glowing blue and humming. They held her hands tightly to the floor. The light was traveling up her arms like blood where a darker, thicker substance started to emerge.

Her demon blood… It was fighting against the magic, trying to be released.

"Let. Me. Out!" Sayu roared in a deep, throaty voice.

Sesshomaru looked at her face again. It wasn't the face of a killer. Whatever sort of demon she was, she wouldn't harm them once free. She just wanted out.

"Who are you?" Sesshomaru asked.

"You don't recognize me?" her voice was softer now, saddened that Sesshomaru didn't know her. Tears filled her bright red eyes and she screamed again as the magic traveled farther up her veins. Her strength was withering, exhausted from the poison and the magic. She settled her desperate eyes on Sesshomaru again and a few tears trailed down her cheeks. "Help me," she whispered before blacking out and falling limp.

Sesshomaru watched as the demon blood receded and the blue magic drifted back toward the shackles. No one breathed for a long time, but when they did Sesshomaru began barking orders again. Rin and Jaken chose that moment to arrive and Sesshomaru had to refrain from snarling at the pair with all their incessant questions. Rin's maids came to the rescue and released Sesshomaru from his guardian duties. He just wanted to be alone, with her. With Rin settled with the female demons, Sesshomaru was finally able to relax. He took his spot next to Sayu and leaned back against the wall before heaving a huge sigh. It had been a trying day, and now this. There were many questions that needed answering, but they would have to wait until the sleeping human, or demon, awoke.

Kaito appeared in the doorway with a grim face. "My Lord?" His face was drawn back in worry, making him look much older than he was.

"She will live. Her demon blood burned off the poison."

Sesshomaru waited while Kaito absorbed his statement. Of course it would come as a shock. The tiger demon's eyes grew wide with confusion and he looked back and forth between her and his lord.

"Demon blood? But she's-,"

"A demon trapped in a human's body."

Kaito looked like he wanted to ask a million questions. Sesshomaru gave him a wearied look, something he would only show his friend, and Kaito gave a curt nod and retreated.

No doubt he'll return in a few hours with more questions than I have answers for. Sesshomaru looked back at Sayu's face and frowned. She looked much better, and the wound on her throat was already healing. Not a day ago he had raked his own fangs down that tender flesh. But his intentions had been much different than the snake demon's. And he was more gentle than normal, fearing for her frail human body. Turns out his concerns were invalid.

She's a demon. It didn't matter how many times he repeated it to himself. He couldn't wrap his mind around the idea. All the signs were there: her strength, speed, skill, and even her instincts to protect who she considered her pup. He may not have been there when the snake went after Rin, but the vicious protectiveness and terror that struck him on his way only added fuel to the fire of his already out of control rage. But now she was a demon. He couldn't imagine what power her shackles held at bay. The aura he sensed was immense. Still not equal to his own, but definitely a contender. Sayu would make a good mate.

Anger flared as the thought of taking her for his own crossed his mind yet again. His father's mocking face materialized and Sesshomaru shook it away. No, he wasn't like his father. Sayu was no longer human, and therefore no longer posed the threat of half-breed children. But who knew what type of demon was lurking behind all that magic.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

It felt like hours since she'd been bitten. The last thing she remembered was Sesshomaru picking her up and then they seemed to fold in on themselves. There was a bright light and a sudden rush of air and she blacked out. Now she was floating in a sea of darkness with no other sounds or people in sight.

"Hello?" Sayu called. "Is anyone there?"

Her voice echoed through empty space and she frowned. She couldn't decide which was worse; being alone in the vast emptiness of her own mind or the horrible pain of her body being dissolved from the inside.

You aren't alone.

The voice was strangely familiar and Sayu whipped her head around to find the source of the sound. "Who are you? Where am I?"

The other woman chuckled and a pair of frighteningly familiar gold eyes appeared in front of her.

I am you. And this is where I've been trapped for an entire century. But it seems like my time is drawing near. He's even smarter than I remember.

"Who?"

You know who! He's close. So close I can smell him. Let me out.
The honey eyes in front of her flashed red and a massive crack ran through the darkness. Sayu tried to back away from whoever it was but found herself immobile.

Let me out, Sayu. I've been here long enough!

"I don't… How do you know my name?" She was ashamed of how her voice trembled. But this person, whoever she was, was strong. Her aura seemed to fill the space and Sayu felt very small in comparison.

I already told you. We are the same. Now let me out! Let me see him!

More cracks splintered the darkness that surrounded her, then a searing pain burnt through her body and she knew it was the magic. She felt like she was being split in two but the presence wrapped itself around her and the pain dulled.

Release yourself to me. I will free us.

Sayu squeezed her eyes shut as the pain increased. "I can't! I don't know how!"

Then you leave me no choice.

As soon as the words left the woman's mouth Sayu felt something tug at the back of her mind. The foreign aura invaded her body and Sayu thought she was going to explode. It reached and filled every corner and crevice in her body and the pain, coupled with the magic trying to prevent whatever was happening, was excruciating. She screamed and wished Sesshomaru were near. At the mere thought of her master the aura went crazy and worked harder at trying to merge with her own. It filled her body to the brim and the magic lashed out at her, but she was able to hold it back this time. Unbelievable strength coursed through her and she felt herself change. An angry snarl ripped out of her throat and she struggled to regain consciousness. She could smell him, he was so close.

Then her eyes opened.

There were a lot of people in the room she was in, but she zeroed in on him. She felt like she was watching him through some sort of lens, like she had taken a backseat and let whatever was hiding inside of her take control. Whatever it was wanted him even more than she did.

"Let. Me. Out!" she screamed in a voice that was both her own and someone else's.

She saw Sesshomaru's eyes twitch. He seemed to remember something.
He hasn't forgotten me. The woman was ecstatic to see this and tried to lift her arms to him. But the shackles held her down and were trying to force her back into submission.

"Who are you?" His deep baritone rang through her head and she almost fainted at the sound of his voice.

The woman seemed disheartened at this. He still didn't know her. "You don't recognize me?"

The magic coursing through her took an opportunity while she was weak and burned farther up her arms and into her body. She felt tears running down her face and her vision blurred. It was too much for her frail body.
"Help me," she whimpered, before everything went black.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

He sighed again and studied the sleeping woman, willing her to wake up. As if sensing her master's silent demand, Sayu's eyelids fluttered open. They were back to their black color. The more Sesshomaru thought about it, the more he realized how unusual her eye color was. But it wasn't his place to concern himself with humans and their eye colors.
Her eyes widened with fright and Sesshomaru placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't get up. You've been through a lot."

She obeyed and leaned back, groaning and pressing a hand to her head.

"What happened?" she whispered hoarsely.

Sesshomaru quirked an eyebrow. "You don't remember?"

Sayu shook her head and touched the place where a nasty wound should have been. "There was a woman. She wanted out. I couldn't understand what she wanted."

Sesshomaru frowned and retracted his hand. It had been there a little too long. "I have questions, and I need answers."

She looked at him wearily and he regretted having to push her so soon. But if she was in fact a demon, then they needed to figure out if she was dangerous and start discussing ways to get the shackles off. Rin will be crushed. He thought morosely.

"I'll do my best, Master," she croaked.

Sesshomaru waved in a servant and ordered tea. He waited until she downed two cups to start interrogating.

"How did you come by those things?" He cast a disgusted look at the black metal around her wrists and she tucked them under the blanket.

"I don't remember, Master."

"Try."

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sayu sighed and closed her eyes, trying her best to remember every detail of the day she first awoke to enslavement. It was still as vivid to her as the man she loved sitting next to her. It was a mild day. Summer was over and winter was fast approaching. She awoke alone in a forest with no memory of what had transpired. She didn't know who she was or where she'd come from. A blank slate. An older man came across her and felt sorry for her. Turns out he was a powerful and influential lord. Why he was the one who came across her that day could only be considered fate, but it was the start of her future as a slave. It didn't begin with him. Sayu had always loved her first master. Despite his title he was a kind and generous man who taught her many skills. He was also the man to name her; Sayu, after a beloved daughter who fell ill as a child and passed well before her time. The day he died was when her world ended. The children did not take kindly to Sayu and the favoritism their father showed towards her. They also feared her. The rules of her magic hadn't been completely revealed and they never knew if it would lash out at them. They sold her off to the first bidder; another influential lord of a different area. He was not so kind.

Thus began Sayu's life as an almost immortal human. She picked her way carefully down through the long line of her owners. Sesshomaru listened with interest, his rage growing with the increased abuse of each listed master. It ended with her tale of how he came across her. Nothing even hinted at how she could have become the way she was.

"How can you not remember anything?" he asked.

She could feel his frustration, and she was sure he could feel hers. This was not the first time she had thought about this. She'd had an entire century to contemplate who she could have angered and who she used to be. No one had answers.

"No, Master. The magic keeps me from remembering. It's one of the punishments I must suffer, among many others."

He nodded as if to accept and pressed his lips together. "You are not a human, Sayu."

Her eyes widened. "Of course I am. You of all people should kno-,"

"You're a demon disguised as a human. The shackles keep your true self locked away. But it came out today. My guess is the poison would have killed you and the threat of being killed woke your inner demon. The magic subdued you before you were able to reveal yourself."

Sayu stared at the ceiling in shock. Is that who the woman was? She had demanded to be let out, to see him. She didn't tell Sesshomaru this.

Things were clicking into place. So she wasn't a strong human, just a pathetic demon cursed into a human existence. Sesshomaru could never love a woman who was weak enough to succumb to curses. She also must have done something horrendous to induce such a vile punishment. The more she thought about it, the more she didn't want to know. What if her demon was evil and bloodthirsty? What if she tried to kill Rin? The thought made her sick to her stomach and she turned to her side and heaved.

Sesshomaru was polite enough to turn away, but he placed a hand on her back and rubbed her shoulder in soothing circles. When her stomach was empty, he offered her more tea and she accepted it gratefully. One question was lingering on her mind, but she was too afraid to ask. Sesshomaru gave her a knowing look.

"I don't know what you are. You blacked out before any definitive smell was released. Whoever bound you was very strong," he paused and gave her a strange look, "and very desperate."