InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 9: Aftermath
 
The others were gathered around the fire outside of Kaede's hut for their evening meal. Kouga and his pack mates declined, saying they had plenty to eat from the doe that Kouga had killed. They didn't happen to mention that they also preferred their meat raw.
 
Shippou and Rin had run out to meet them along with Kirara when the group had neared the hut. Something about the seriousness on everyone's faces kept the kitsune from asking a million questions, even though he was dying to know what Kouga was doing there and where Kagome was.
 
Finally, though, Shippou could stand it no longer and asked, “Kouga, what are you doing here?”
 
Kouga looked at the questioning face of the young kit and decided to respond. “Well, Naraku is up to something, so I thought I should come and let Kagome and the mutt face know.”
 
“Where are InuYasha and Kagome? I thought they were coming back for dinner,” Shippou whined.
 
Shippou's question was met with dead silence and more serious looks. When no one said anything at first, he said very softly, “Something happened, didn't it?”
 
Kaede took it upon herself to respond. “Shippou, they were attacked by youkai and Kagome was hurt. InuYasha took her home.”
 
“But why?” Shippou started, but stopped at the glare he received from Lord Sesshomaru.
 
“Shippou, it looked like she was hurt more than we could care for, so InuYasha took her home,” Miroku told him. None of them knew how safe it would be for Kouga to know the secret of the well, and he was trying to shut Shippou up before he said anything more. Wanting to change the subject, the monk said, “So Kouga and Lord Sesshomaru, tell us about this Keikaiyari that you mentioned.”
 
“He is an assassin from the northern region. Keikaiyari will murder anyone for the right price. He does not discriminate between humans and youkai in either taking their money or killing them,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“Yeah, it's been said that he has killed over a thousand so far. I even heard where he took one Lord's money to assassinate his opponent and before he had wiped out half of the other Lord's men, took money to murder the one who had hired him. He took payment from them both and then slaughtered them all. They say he just enjoys killing, and would do it for free if he was not so greedy,” Kouga commented, but then added, “But what was he doing near here? This is a long ways from his territory. Why would he be after the mutt and Kagome?”
 
“He could have been after her jewel shards,” Sango finally commented. She had remained silent as she thought about everything that just happened. “He might have wanted even more power than he has.”
 
“Or he could have been sent here by Naraku, like you were,” Kaede said thoughtfully. “It looks like things will not go the way he planned if that is the case.”
 
“Naraku does have a nasty habit of getting others to do his dirty work. I wonder what he intended?” Sango asked before she sliced off a piece of the boar for herself.
 
“I guess we'll never know since InuYasha gutted him,” Kouga commented.
 
Everyone fell silent as they wondered how Kagome was doing, and those that knew worried about what havoc InuYasha might create in the future if he had not reverted back to normal.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“So, where did you disappear to?” Byakuya asked his master. Naraku didn't venture out of his hiding place very often.
 
“I had an errand to run. Kukukuku. I am certain that Sesshomaru will kill his half-brother and the miko if the other two don't, and he'll kill the wolf and Kikyou for robbing him of the pleasure if they did. Sesshomaru will probably kill the whole lot of humans including the monk and demon slayer just for being there. However, I needed someone to make certain that he is taken care of once and for all when the others are all dead. Kukukuku.”
 
“What do you mean?” the incarnation questioned.
 
“Well, I can't leave Sesshomaru running around since he is still hunting me. So, I hired the best assassin to ever walk the earth to kill him. If anyone can handle Sesshomaru, it is Keikaiyari. Kukukuku,” Naraku chuckled.
 
“I have heard of this Keikaiyari in my spying for you. What did you promise him?” Byakuya knew his master well enough to know he would not have paid him, but would have offered some trade.
 
“I promised him Sesshomaru's Western Lands as his own to do with as he pleased if he killed the Taiyoukai. I also told him about the jewel shards the girl carries. Kukukuku,” the evil hanyou responded.
 
“But surely you won't let him keep the shards if he gets his hand on them,” Byakuya commented.
 
“He can keep them for as long as he has the Western Lands. Kukukuku,” Naraku responded. Just like everyone else Naraku had used, he intended to dispose of the assassin when his job was finished.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama watched with worry as the nurses stripped her daughter of her remaining clothing and proceeded to clean her up. Once they had cleared away all of the blood, they discovered that though some were deep, the cuts she had received were clean and had obviously been made with something very sharp.
 
“Do you have any idea what happened?” the doctor asked Mama as she examined Kagome's wounds.
 
Mama shook her head. “I don't know. Her fiancé just came running in with her and said that someone had attacked them. As soon as I saw how deep the cuts were, we brought her straight here.”
 
Kagome actually begin to stir. “`yasha…where are we? So cold…”
 
Mama took Kagome's hand between her own. “Kagome, honey, we are at the hospital. They are stitching your cuts up right now. Just lay still for a little longer.”
 
“Mama, where's InuYasha?” Kagome asked with panic in her voice. “Is he…”
 
“Honey, he's just out in the waiting area with Souta. He brought you home when you were hurt and then we brought you here.”
 
“Did he…”
 
“He's just fine. He wasn't hurt at all but he is worried sick about you,” Mama responded. She was certain her daughter wanted to ask about hanyou's transformation, but she couldn't exactly say anything in front of the doctor and nurses.
 
“He's okay?” Kagome asked with desperation in her voice now.
 
“Yes, honey, he's perfectly normal. He can come back in when they are finished taking care of your injuries,” Mama replied.
 
Kagome visibly relaxed. When her mother said that InuYasha was normal, Kagome understood that to mean he had transformed back.
 
The miko jumped slightly when the doctor addressed her. “Do you have any idea what did this? These injuries are most peculiar.”
 
Kagome shook her head as she tried to think up something, quick. She couldn't exactly tell them she had been attacked by a tiger youkai. “I don't know. It seemed like the guy had a glove of some sort with claws or something on it. All I know is that it was sharp and it really hurt.”
 
The doctor sighed. “Probably some new form of fighting a gang has come up with. Well, the police are on their way here. You can tell them as much as you can remember. Just lie back while we stitch these up. It will take a few minutes to do it properly.”
 
 
 
“InuYasha?” Souta asked quietly from their seat in the small waiting area near the room. Fortunately, they were alone.
 
“Yeah?” the hanyou responded.
 
“When you came back…you were…you were…different,” Souta finally said. He had been quiet while they sat and waited.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded. “I didn't mean to scare you.” InuYasha looked down and realized that Souta was still clutching his hand.
 
“I wasn't scared, not really. I knew you wouldn't do anything to hurt Kagome. You just looked so…so…so…protective of her…” the young boy whispered and then continued, “and Mama wasn't afraid of you at all. She made us leave so we wouldn't upset you.”
 
About that time two police officers walked up to them. It was hard to miss InuYasha still covered with blood, plus some had made its way onto Souta's clothing as well.
 
“You there, are you with the girl that was attacked?” the first policeman asked.
 
InuYasha almost growled, but he felt Souta squeeze his hand as the boy answered, “Yes sir. She's my sister.”
 
“What happened to you?” the second policeman demanded as he looked at InuYasha.
 
InuYasha knew that being covered in a youkai's blood was not normal for Kagome's time. As he told the hospital staff when they first came in, he said, “She was hurt and I carried her.”
 
The first policeman noticed the sword at his side. “They said she was cut by something sharp, and you have a sword!”
 
Souta placed his free hand on InuYasha's forearm and said, “We live at the Higurashi Shrine. InuYasha helps us out and this is his costume. The sword is part of it. InuYasha, why don't you pull it out and show them that it won't cut anything.” The boy had started thinking of an explanation in case they needed it even before the policemen showed up. He hoped they would buy it.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha said as he stood so the two officers could see his entire outfit clearly while he pulled out Tessaiga. Leaving it untransformed, he showed it to them.
 
The two officers had backed away when InuYasha stood to unsheathe his sword, but relaxed as soon as they saw the rusty looking blade. One of them looked at the other and said, “I don't think that could have caused the wounds they say the girl had. They said it was from something very sharp.”
 
The other nodded in agreement and waved at InuYasha to sit back down. “Where can we reach you if we need to?”
 
Souta answered for the hanyou, “He's staying with us right now.”
 
“You said that was at the Higurashi Shrine?” he clarified.
 
“Yes sir,” Souta responded at the same time as InuYasha said, “Keh.”
 
“Does he ever speak for himself?” one of the policemen asked, indicating InuYasha.
 
“He's pretty quiet and usually doesn't say a whole lot,” Souta said.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha agreed.
 
“Where can we find your sister?” he asked.
 
“She's in the room three doors down. We're waiting for them to tell us we can come back in,” Souta informed them.
 
“Thank you,” the police officers said and headed in that direction.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
After dinner, Sesshomaru vanished without a word. Instead of returning to the area of the well and ancient tree, or going out to check on Jaken, he went out to the hot spring where he was fairly certain that InuYasha had taken Kagome to spend the afternoon with her.
 
The Demon Lord landed in the middle of the now torn terrain. It was clear that this was the point where InuYasha and Kagome had faced their attackers. He looked around as he realized they had not been attacked only by the tiger youkai, but by a countless number of lower youkai as well. Sesshomaru surveyed the area and took note of the tracks of the Wind Scar as well as the numerous arrows that had fallen to the earth after purifying their target. It appeared that this attack was not some accidental encounter, but one that had been planned.
 
Sesshomaru followed his nose to the corpse of the fallen assassin. As he looked at the body, it was clear that InuYasha's youkai version had done it, driven by the scent of blood spilled from his mate. The neck had been cleanly snapped and the body expertly eviscerated. The Taiyoukai knew that while InuYasha would kill anyone who threatened his mate harm, the hanyou would not normally inflict this particular kind of damage with his own bare hands. However, his youkai would without hesitation. In any case, the tiger was dead. He would not be recovering from the wounds inflicted upon him in order to come back to haunt them.
 
Sesshomaru thought briefly about trying to revive the tiger in order to find out why he was in this neck of the woods, but quickly dismissed it. Keikaiyari's reputation preceded him; he only divulged who had hired him to his target as the target died. And besides, Sesshomaru would just have to kill him again, anyway. Instead, he started to pour the acidic poison from his claws over the body. Soon, there would be no evidence that the great tiger youkai assassin had ever existed.
 
And then there was something else to think about; InuYasha seemed to be gaining some control over his inner demon. He had quickly killed the youkai who had attacked his mate, but had not gone into a total bloodlust killing rage as he had after that moth demon. Instead, he had returned to his mate and taken her home through the well. Even in his transformed state, the little miko had never been afraid of him. Now, she was also not afraid for him to take her home for care. Sesshomaru did recall the gold of the hanyou's eyes flickering through the red. The red had only deepened when they had agitated InuYasha by not allowing him to continue on his way.
 
Sesshomaru looked one more time at the melting body of the tiger. `Keikaiyari, what wereyou doing here?' he thought as he vanished into a ball of light to return to the village. Now, all they could do was wait for word from the future.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama had pulled a blanket up to cover most of her daughter's now naked body as the doctor stitched her arm. Fortunately, the cuts on her chest were not as deep and had been taped and bandaged. While it was chilly in the hospital room, Kagome's body was also cool to the touch from the loss of blood. However, the doctor didn't think she had lost enough to need a transfusion since she had regained consciousness. Plus, when they sent her blood to be typed, they discovered that it had some extremely unusual components in it that could not be explained. They decided it might be best not to give her any blood if they could help it, and that Higurashi Kagome was one of those whose blood type was so rare she should probably start making donations to start a blood bank for herself in case it was ever needed.
 
The policemen had come and gone, making notes from the little information that Kagome had given them. She had done the best she could to make the description so vague it could be anyone or no one. The one thing she had done was to steadfastly proclaim that InuYasha had fought the attacker off and saved her and that he had done nothing to harm her. He had her blood all over him because he had picked her and carried her back to the house and then to the hospital.
 
The hospital wanted to keep Kagome overnight for observation and said that one of them could stay with her under the circumstances. Because she had been attacked, they thought it would be best that someone be with her if she woke up during the night. The hospital staff assumed it would be Mama staying the night, but were surprised when they were told that her fiancé would be staying with her instead. Mama made it quite clear that she trusted the young man implicitly and had no problem with him staying in the room with her for the night. The only problem was his clothing - it was difficult to tell the blood from the red of the firerat there was so much of it. Fortunately, one sympathetic nurse went and found a clean pair of scrubs that InuYasha could change into. After they were alone in the room with Kagome, Souta went into the bathroom with him to help him change so he wouldn't accidentally shred them with his claws in the process. Mama took the firerat, hakama and his kimono from him and told InuYasha she would wash them and return with them along with some clothing for Kagome in the morning. For now, all his mate had was a hospital gown.
 
Kagome was asleep when her mother kissed her gently on the forehead and told InuYasha that she and Souta would be back in the morning. Mama surprised the hanyou when she reached up and kissed him on the cheek as well, and told him to get some rest. He didn't know what to say as Mama and Souta left the room.
 
Once the door was closed again, InuYasha went to his sleeping mate. He hated to wake her, but knew he needed to. She had lost a lot of blood, and while her body was working to replace it at a much faster than normal speed, he knew he could help.
 
InuYasha just watched Kagome at first, stroking her hair as he watched her slow, even breathing. However, she was still pale and cool to the touch and that was what worried him.
 
“Kagome? Kagome,” he said softly as he continued to run his hand across the top of her head.
 
“mmmm, `yasha?” she answered sleepily.
 
He leaned over and kissed her softly. “Yeah. It's me.”
 
“Where are we?” she asked.
 
“Still at the hos…hos…hos-pi-tal. They wanted to keep you. Your mother let me stay with you.”
 
“Mama did? They did?” None of it made sense, however since Kagome still in something of a fog.
 
“Kagome, do you trust me?” InuYasha asked hesitantly.
 
“What's wrong? You know I do,” she replied. The seriousness of his tone did get her attention.
 
“There's something I can do to help you. You lost a lot of blood,” he answered.
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” Kagome asked, more awake now.
 
“You know how you took some of my blood when we mated? If you do that again it should help you.”
 
“But how? Normally blood is given through a transfusion…” the miko commented.
 
“A…a…a what?” InuYasha shook his head.
 
“A… nevermind. How can it help?” Kagome asked.
 
“I…I'm not sure, I just know that it will,” InuYasha responded.
 
“What do you want to do?” Kagome inquired softly.
 
InuYasha took his claw and sliced open his wrist. When it was bleeding freely, he placed it to her mouth. “Please, it'll help. You lost so much blood, and I heard them talking. They wanted to give you blood, but were afraid to. Please, take it.”
 
Kagome very tentatively took the bleeding wrist to her mouth. She could hear the concern and worry in her mate's voice. While it seemed a bit weird, she did as he asked. As some of his blood started to go down her throat, she suddenly felt a warmth that started to grow within her.
 
Greedily, she started drinking like it was the elixir of life itself until she finally heard InuYasha say, “I think that's enough for now,” as he withdrew his arm. He lapped at the wound a few times to seal it and returned his attention to the young miko.
 
“InuYasha! Are you alright?” Kagome exclaimed softly. InuYasha looked very pale.
 
The hanyou chuckled. “I'm fine, wench. Though I thought you were going to try and drain me there for a minute.”
 
The miko blushed. “I'm sorry, InuYasha. I just suddenly felt so much better. When my body started to warm up and I felt my strength start to return, it was like I couldn't get enough.”
 
InuYasha blushed and leaned over to kiss her on the forehead. “Well, it wouldn't be the first time.”
 
“You-” But she was cut off as InuYasha kissed her again, this time on the mouth.
 
“I'm sorry,” the hanyou told her.
 
“For what? You didn't do anything wrong,” Kagome said softly.
 
“That tiger…I shouldn't-” he tried to say, but this time he was cut off.
 
“InuYasha, all of those others attacked at the same time. It was my fault if anything because I underestimated him. I have to remember your brother isn't the only youkai with that kind of speed and power. Please don't blame yourself,” she told him quietly, and then added, “But we really shouldn't talk about it here. And I'm still kind of cold. Will you warm me up?”
 
“Keh?” InuYasha responded. She was hurt. What was the wench thinking?
 
Kagome actually giggled. “No silly, just literally warm me up. There's room for both of us here.”
 
The miko moved over to the side of the bed that the drip attached to her arm was on. InuYasha carefully climbed on from the foot of the bed and stretched out alongside her and then tucked her into his side.
 
“Thank you, InuYasha,” Kagome said as she felt her body start to warm from the additional warmth of her mate. InuYasha reached down to tug the blanket up over them both and then let his free hand rest on her belly. He gently rubbed her with his palm as she drifted back to sleep. The hanyou's ears flicked under the cap that Souta had picked up somewhere to replace the ball cap - the boy said something about it matching his scrubs. Souta had also warned him to leave it on because the nurses would probably come in to check on Kagome sometime during the night. Still too worried about Kagome to sleep, the hanyou stayed awake to keep watch over her throughout the night.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru found himself concerned about what plot Naraku was attempting to hatch. Normally he wouldn't really care, but this time Rin was here with him at the village. However, as he considered the other humans that surrounded her, the child really was not unprotected when not in his presence or that of Ah-Un and Jaken. The Taiyoukai thought back on the times he had witnessed the group battle their enemies together. Though most of the group was only human, they were all strong and courageous. He had never seen any of them run from a fight, even when facing what seemed like insurmountable odds. All in all, the ragtag bunch was quite formidable.
 
Sesshomaru found himself near the hut of the old miko rather than back out at the well. It was dark and the others had retired for the night, having had enough excitement for one day. He stiffened as he felt a youkai approach him, but then relaxed somewhat when he realized it was the wolf. Kouga had sent his pack mates and wolves down near the river, away from the humans of the village, but the prince of the wolf tribe had returned to watch near Kaede's hut as the other's slept.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru,” Kouga said softly. He did not wish to wake the others asleep in the hut.
 
The Taiyoukai did not say anything, but waited for the wolf to continue.
 
“Was it he? Was it Keikaiyari?” Kouga asked. He was pretty certain to where the Demon Lord had disappeared.
 
“It was he. And this Sesshomaru saw that he did not come alone. It appeared that he brought many lower demons with him to attack. This Sesshomaru believes that it was no accident he came upon InuYasha and the miko.”
 
“Yeah, the two of them had to put up a pretty good fight from the looks of things. Mutt face sure tore the place up. Was Keikaiyari after the jewel shards? Is that why he went after Kagome? What was he up to?” Kouga commented, not really expecting a reply.
 
“We will probably never know unless Naraku tells us himself. Keikaiyari had to have learned about the miko and the shards from someone, and it was most likely him. However, the tiger youkai was also known for his greed, so he could have learned about the shards and come after the miko on his own. He would do almost anything for more power,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
Kouga sighed. “Well, at least that is one more enemy gone. I couldn't believe that mutt face let Kagome get hurt.”
 
Sesshomaru growled in response.
 
“I…I mean…I…oh never mind,” Kouga answered. “I don't suppose you'll tell me where they disappeared to.”
 
“No.”
 
“Well, in that case, I'll go back out to the river. We'll stay the night there.”
 
“Hn.” Sesshomaru watched the wolf as he took off in the direction of his pack mates. The Demon Lord then settled in to watch over the old miko's hut where Rin was sleeping.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama had returned home with Souta. The child was exhausted and had gone straight to bed. Mama told him on the way home how proud she was of him, helping with his sister and then with InuYasha. She shouldn't have been surprised that Souta had recognized the hanyou's transformation for what it was - a stronger part of the hanyou that had emerged to protect Kagome. Souta had wanted to run right to him when he saw his hero with his injured sister in his arms. It had not even occurred to the boy he should be frightened of InuYasha in that state. He had only wanted to help.
 
Mama shook her head as she looked at the pile of bloody clothes she had brought in with her. As she had promised, she carried them to the laundry room and threw them in the washing machine. Actually, she put the firerat and hakama in first. She would wash the light colored kimono separately from the red pieces, though at the moment it was difficult to tell them apart. Once the laundry was started, she went back to her room to survey the damage.
 
Mama cleaned up the remains of Kagome garments that InuYasha had sliced away from her body. They were not salvageable, so she threw the remnants of her top and bra away. As she was cleaning up her bedroom, she spotted the cloth bag that InuYasha had carefully set aside so that it would not get lost. Wondering what was in it, she looked inside and nearly fainted. The bag was full of diamonds. She then saw the other piece of cloth that was carefully folded and looked in it, and there were more diamonds. Remembering the conversation that she had with her daughter and the hanyou regarding his sword, Mama realized that they must have used that attack that they had told her about where Tessaiga made diamonds in order for Kagome to have an engagement ring. Not wanting to leave them lying around, she went and put them in the small safe that was hidden in the closet in her room. Mama breathed a sigh of relief as she spun the dial to lock the safe. She would let Kagome and InuYasha know where they were when they returned home; but for now, she wanted the precious stones in a safe place.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kikyou had finally reached near the outskirts of the village she used to consider her home. It was late, and she realized that Kohaku was exhausted from following after her. The undead miko decided it would be best to stop here for the night and wait until morning to approach her sister.
 
She looked at Kohaku and wondered what he would think about being in such close proximity with his own sister. She knew the demon slayer had tried many times to get him back, but at first the boy had no memory of her, and then was eaten up with guilt when his memories came back and he realized what he had done. For now, it might be best for them to remain away from the others. Kikyou would let Kaede know that she had come home, but then return out here to stay with Kohaku.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
The nurse came in during the night to check on Kagome and was startled to see there were two people in the bed. However, before she had a chance to wake the young man to tell him that he shouldn't be in the injured girl's bed with her and that he was supposed to use the cot that had been brought in, she realized his eyes were open and he was watching her. The golden eyes glowed eerily in the soft light that had been left on in the room as they followed her movements.
 
“You really shouldn't be there, you know,” the nurse said softly as she checked the drip attached to Kagome's arm.
 
“Keh. She was cold and couldn't warm up. She asked me to hold her,” InuYasha responded quietly, not wanting to wake his sleeping mate.
 
“That was from the loss of blood. But she seems to be doing much better than earlier,” the nurse commented. “You might sleep better if you used the cot over there,” she indicated as she waved at it with her hand.
 
“I wasn't planning to sleep, and her hands and feet are still cold,” InuYasha told the nurse. “I'll stay as long as she needs me to help keep her warm.”
 
The nurse just nodded as she checked the girl over. He was right, her extremities were still cooler than they should be, though overall she was much better than expected this soon after so much blood loss. Not wanting a confrontation that might wake up the entire floor in the middle of the night, the nurse decided to let sleeping dogs lie and go on about her rounds. The girl was sleeping peacefully tucked into the young man's body, and he did not appear to be doing anything with her other than trying to help keep her warm. She did make a mental note to herself to mention it to her replacement when the shift changed.
 
 
At some point during the wee hours of the morning InuYasha carefully climbed out of the bed to relieve himself. When he returned he discovered that Kagome had rolled over and was now snuggling up with the blanket instead. Chuckling to himself and not wanting to wake her, he sat in the chair next to the bed to continue watching over her. That is where he was when she jolted awake some time later.
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome exclaimed as she bolted upright.
 
“Shhh, I'm right here, wench,” the hanyou told her as he took her hand. “What is it?”
 
Kagome sighed as she relaxed. “You were gone and I thought you were here asleep with me.”
 
“Well, I had to get up, and when I came back you were hogging the bed. So I've been right here,” he informed her, making the miko giggle.
 
“Will…will you help me? I need to get up,” Kagome practically whispered as she flushed bright red. They may be mates, but there were still some things she preferred to do in private. However, she was going to need some help getting there.
 
“Keh, of course,” InuYasha responded. He thought she was probably going to need help getting to the bathroom since one arm was stitched up and the other had the weird contraption taped to it.
 
InuYasha helped her to carefully climb down from the bed. Then, with one arm around her waist and the other hand pulling along the stand the drip was attached to, he helped her to the toilet. Then she kicked him out of the bathroom.
 
“At least I didn't have to fight with underwear,” the miko giggled as she opened the door when she was through.
 
InuYasha took that as his signal to help her back to the bed and into it. After he made sure she was securely in place, he tucked the blanket back in around her and resumed his position in the chair.
 
“You don't want to join me?” Kagome asked mischievously.
 
“Feh. I'd better not. You've warmed up for the most part, and you're starting to move around more in your sleep. I'll stay here to make sure you don't tear anything open. Besides, a woman came in to check on you and I think I scared her being in the bed with you. She tried to get me to move over there, but I told her I was staying put until you had warmed back up.” InuYasha stood to lean over and kiss his mate on the forehead. “I'll be right here if you need anything, keh?”
 
“Okay, InuYasha. I'll try to go back to sleep. You can do the same, I won't mind. I know you're tired, too,” the miko told him.
 
“You know I don't need as much sleep as you do. I'll be fine, wench. Now, go to sleep,” InuYasha said softly.
 
“`kay,” Kagome replied as she closed her eyes.
 
 
That was how the nurse found them early the next morning; InuYasha was sitting in the chair next to the bed, his chin resting on his hand as he watched his mate sleep. Kagome was alone in the bed, and was starting to toss and turn a bit with an occasional groan.
 
“How is she?” the nurse asked InuYasha. She had been warned he might be in the bed with his fiancée, but was relieved he was just in the chair by the bed now.
 
“She's been thrashing about more and moaning some, like she's in pain,” InuYasha said with worry in his voice. “But I didn't want to wake her if I could help it.”
 
The nurse looked over her chart. “The pain medication she was given should just about be worn off. I'll give some more to help. It looks like she received some very deep cuts and they are probably extremely painful.”
 
InuYasha watched warily as the nurse filled a syringe with a fluid and then went to inject it into the plastic tube that led to Kagome's arm. However, he felt nothing from the lady other than the want to ease his mate's pain.
 
“There, that should help, and we didn't have to wake her. The painkiller will work its way through her system with the antibiotics they have her on. She should start to sleep more peacefully fairly soon,” the nurse told him as she marked the chart.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded, and sat back again to keep an eye on Kagome.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kaede was the first to awaken the next morning. She quietly got dressed and went outside to stir up the fire under the boar after stirring the one in the fire pit inside. It was a bit chilly this morning. Kaede smiled to herself as she saw that Sango and the houshi had managed to snuggle up together during the night. It appeared that Rin had moved closer to the fire, bringing the kitsune along with her.
 
The old miko was surprised to feel the aura of Lord Sesshomaru so close to her hut when she woke up. He usually remained some distance away; the closest he normally stayed was out by the well. Curious, she walked towards where he was fairly well concealed.
 
The Taiyoukai had been lost in his own thoughts when he felt the old miko approach him. It would be rude to leave now that she knew he was there, so he waited.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru,” Kaede called softly as she approached him in the mist.
 
The Demon Lord seemed to appear out of nowhere in front of her but did not say anything.
 
“You were keeping watch in InuYasha's absence?” she questioned.
 
Sesshomaru did not give any indication that he had heard her, but Kaede was not deterred.
 
“You are concerned about Naraku's plans,” the old miko commented.
 
“Somewhat,” he finally responded.
 
“I would thank you for staying near us for the night. Would you like to join us for breakfast? We still have a good portion of the boar left,” Kaede told him. She knew that she did not need to mention that Rin would like to see him.
 
“That is acceptable,” Sesshomaru responded and started to follow her, but stopped.
 
“What is it?” Kaede asked when she realized he had halted, but then she spotted what had attracted his attention: soul collectors.
 
Kaede sighed. “I will go and find out what she wants and why she is here.”
 
“This Sesshomaru will accompany you.”
 
“That is not necessary. She is my sister,” Kaede told him, hoping to dissuade the Demon Lord.
 
“This Sesshomaru must insist.”
 
“You do not trust her,” Kaede stated.
 
“No,” the Taiyoukai replied. “Not until this Sesshomaru hears from her own mouth why she is here.”
 
“If you must, let us go,” Kaede responded as she walked into the fog that lay thick on the ground in the pre-dawn light, followed by the Taiyoukai of the Western Lands. They both knew that the soul collectors would lead them to Kikyou.
 
 
To be continued…