InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die ❯ Encounters ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the anime/manga characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
AN: Thanks again to the three wonderful ladies that helped me with this piece: Akikazu, inufan625 and knittingknots. I also wish to thank everyone who has left a review or sent an email. I greatly appreciate it and have read each and every one of them.
 
 
 Live and Let Die
 
 
Chapter 7: Encounters (Warning: Lemon)
 
Since Mama was taking them out, Kagome had decided they should wear a little more than the tank top and shorts they each had on previously. They weren't going any place too fancy, so Kagome decided that InuYasha would be dressed all right in his black jeans and a red long-sleeved silk shirt they had purchased for him at some point just in case he needed it (and because Kagome thought he would probably look pretty hot in it). It did have the result she desired, and InuYasha did not seem to mind the light weight, silky material at all. It was really too bad that he would have to wear a black bandana to cover his ears. Kagome hated when he had to cover them almost as much as InuYasha did.
 
Once Kagome had InuYasha ready to go, she sent him downstairs to wait while she finished her makeup. She was afraid that if he stayed in her room with her, they might never make it downstairs. Kagome giggled at the thought - who knew she would turn into such a hentai? But then again, she had been waiting for over two years. She had a lot of passion that had been kept bottled up and apparently InuYasha did as well.
 
InuYasha had come downstairs to find Mama sitting at the kitchen table. He stopped in the doorway.
 
Mama looked up at the hesitant hanyou. “Come and sit down, InuYasha. Would you like another cup of tea?”
 
“Keh. Thank you,” InuYasha responded.
 
Mama already had a fresh pot of tea made. She set a cup in front of InuYasha and filled it before she said, “It's all right, InuYasha. I am glad you two finally admitted how you felt about each other. I have known for probably two years or more that Kagome loved you, and it was obvious that you loved her as well, even if you could not admit it. I will admit that I was a bit shocked when I saw you, but I am happy for both of you. Kagome has come back crying so many times that I thought that was what had happened when I saw the single bowl on the table when I arrived home.”
 
InuYasha blushed and said softly, “I know. I never meant to hurt her, but I was afraid to let her get too close. I kept pushing her away, but I would have died inside if she hadn't come back.”
 
“InuYasha, just don't hurt her any more. You know how she feels about you now. You cannot protect just her body; you have to protect her heart and soul as well. She has never loved anyone the way she loves you,” Mama responded.
 
“I…I've never loved anyone the way that I love her, either,” InuYasha replied, his face matching the lovely shade of red of his silk shirt.
 
“InuYasha, just remember, no matter what, you will always be welcome here. If you ever decide to come here permanently, we will make a place for you,” Mama said with a warmth in her voice that could not be mistaken for anything other than the open affection for the hanyou that it was.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kagome came down the stairs in a pair of black dress pants and a soft blue scoop neck t-shirt. InuYasha was glad she had not put on much makeup - he thought she was beautiful without it.
 
“Are we ready?” Mama asked.
 
“We just need to get InuYasha to put on his bandana,” Kagome said as she handed it to him.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded when he had it securely in place.
 
In the genkan, Kagome pulled a pair of her lesser worn shoes out of the geta-bako to wear for the evening. Once Kagome made certain that InuYasha's sandals were fastened, she put her own flats on. Ready to go, Kagome took InuYasha's hand and followed her mother to the car.
 
“Kagome, why don't you sit in the back with InuYasha,” Mama suggested.
 
Kagome agreed since InuYasha was not really used to riding in the car. Besides, she would rather sit with him, anyway.
 
Kagome wanted to laugh when she saw where her mother was taking them. This only proved how much her mother loved the hanyou. It was a casual restaurant, almost fast food, which had numerous flavors of fresh Ramen. Kagome was certain that InuYasha would like it even better than the instant stuff she made for him both at home and in the past.
 
While Kagome and Mama were both content with noodles with chicken and vegetables, there were too many for InuYasha to make up his mind. He finally settled on noodles with chicken, pork, beef, and vegetables. The hanyou looked like he was in heaven as he dug into the bowl when it was brought to him. Mama and Kagome just looked at each other and grinned.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru was surprised when he woke up the following morning under the spreading branches of the Goshinboku. It was the most peaceful sleep he could remember having had in some time. In spite of all of the new questions that he had, he knew that he wished to remain in the area long enough to ascertain that his half-brother and the miko were well. The Demon Lord also wanted to see if the couple had taken him up on his advice. Even though he had told InuYasha to mark the miko as his own, Sesshomaru was not sure exactly what kind of mark a hanyou would make. Would it be strong enough to ward off any other claims by other demons? He would wait for their return.
 
Sesshomaru left his spot from under the great tree and went down by the river to check on Jaken and Ah-Un. Ah-Un was grazing in the sweet grass that grew near the river, and Jaken was flat out on his back, still asleep in the warm morning sun.
 
Jaken jerked awake when he felt the presence of Lord Sesshomaru. When he saw the Demon Lord without the little girl, his first thought was, `Good, maybe we are going to leave her in this human village.'
 
“My Lord! Are we leaving?” Jaken asked.
 
“No, Jaken. Stay here,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“Yes, My Lord,” Jaken said with a sigh.
 
Sesshomaru continued on to the village and to Kaede's hut. He entered it to find everyone sitting around the fire pit quietly eating their breakfast, including Rin. He almost smirked at the sight of the kitsune on his stomach, his bare behind still too painful for him to sit on.
 
The others would have been startled at his entrance if they had not felt his powerful aura approach. The Demon Lord had not made a sound as he entered.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, are you certain you would not like something to eat?” Kaede asked him.
 
Rin looked up from her bowl with a smile. “Lord Sesshomaru, is it time for us to leave?”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head to Kaede's question, then replied, “Not yet, Rin. Miko, may this Sesshomaru have a word with you when you have finished your breakfast?”
 
“I will be out in just a minute, Lord Sesshomaru,” Kaede replied.
 
The Demon Lord exited the hut as silently as he had entered.
 
With the exception of Rin, the others looked at Kaede with concern, so she said, “Do not worry. It does not feel as though he bears any of us ill will.”
 
Kaede slowly rose to her feet and followed Lord Sesshomaru through the door.
 
Sesshomaru led Kaede away from her hut so that they would be out of earshot of the others before he spoke, “Miko, is Rin giving you any problems?”
 
Kaede shook her head. “She is a delightful and well-behaved young lady. We are kind of hoping she will rub off on Shippou.”
 
“This Sesshomaru would prefer to remain in the area until the hanyou and miko return. May Rin stay with you until it is time to leave?”
 
“Rin is more than welcome. She will get plenty to eat and have a safe place to sleep,” Kaede said and continued, “You want to make certain that InuYasha and Kagome are all right and to see if they took your advice.”
 
“The hanyou is stubborn. He may want to go chasing after Naraku before the miko is fully recovered. This Sesshomaru also is not certain what kind of mark a hanyou will leave on his mate. There is nothing that this Sesshomaru knows of that has been recorded. Most hanyou never reach adulthood, much less take a mate. If the young miko carries a true mating mark, then she will be safe. If she does not, then InuYasha and she need to be warned that others may still try to claim her by force. They must be prepared for any possibilities.”
 
Kaede nodded in understanding. “And you will be able tell as soon as you see their marks?”
 
“This Sesshomaru will be able to tell when he feels their presence.”
 
“I understand. I will let Rin know she may be with us for a few days and that you will come to collect her when it is time for you to leave,” Kaede said.
 
“Thank you,” the great Demon Lord responded.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama was amazed at how much both Kagome and InuYasha were able to eat - well, maybe not InuYasha. Mama knew he had a ravenous appetite, even though he usually tried to show some restraint at home. However, here in this house of real Ramen, his stomach seemed to have no bottom.
 
Kagome was amazed at how much better she was feeling as well. She seemed to be healing much faster since they had mated and performed the blood bond, and Kagome was gaining back some of the weight that she had lost during her journey. InuYasha's weight was just about back to normal, too. Eating pretty much every time they were hungry had paid off. Kagome had explained that to her mother as well, since she was wondering how they had gone through so many plates and bowls in such a short period of time. Even washing and reusing them, there were still a lot of dishes.
 
The three had returned to the shrine, chatting about nothing of importance in the car. Kagome led them into the kitchen. She had something she wanted to discuss in the privacy of their home.
 
“Mama?”
 
“Yes, honey?”
 
“Do you think there is any chance that they will let me home school this year?” Kagome asked seriously.
 
“You don't think you would miss your friends if you do not go to school at all?” Mama responded.
 
Kagome shook her head. “I really don't have anything in common with them any more. I could still go in to take my tests, but it would be easier if I could have my assignments to do when I am here. I probably could get everything done faster if I didn't have to go to class with thirty other students. Besides, I'm always afraid I might let something slip that I shouldn't. I just think I would be more comfortable if I could home school. I guess I would still have to be there for the first day of school, but do you think you could get an application?”
 
Mama smiled. “I already have it filled out. I wanted to discuss it with you before I did anything, though. You would need to go to school the first day to collect all of your books to use for the year.”
 
Kagome came around the table and gave her mom a hug. “Thanks, Mama.”
 
InuYasha had remained silent. He did not want to interrupt, but now his curiosity got the better of him. “What's home school?”
 
“I'll only have to go in for tests and could do the rest of my work here between trips on the computer. I could still work on some of it in the past as well as long as I have my books,” Kagome responded.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Keh?”
 
“Speaking of the past, I would like to go back and check on the others. I'm feeling much better now,” Kagome said.
 
“You still don't have your full strength back yet. We can't go looking for shards or Naraku until you do,” InuYasha replied hesitantly.
 
“I'm not ready to travel yet, just go back and make certain the others are in the village and all right. Then we can come back here. I'll probably feel up to shard hunting again after school starts. But for now, I would just like to go back for the day or even a few hours,” Kagome responded.
 
InuYasha nodded. They probably should go back and check on the rest of their group. InuYasha also suspected that Kagome wanted to give them a piece of her mind.
 
“Would you like to go tomorrow?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Yeah, why don't we?” Kagome replied.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome both must have really needed a good night's sleep. They woke up in pretty much the same position they had gone to sleep in, bodies spooned together with InuYasha's arms wrapped protectively around his mate. The hanyou actually awakened before Kagome but was content to lie in bed and hold her, inhaling her scent as her body continued in the gentle, even rhythm of her breathing.
 
Kagome woke to feel something hard pressing into her. Pretty certain what it was, she rolled over and looked into InuYasha's amber eyes. “Morning, InuYasha.”
 
“Hey. You want to get ready and go back?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Not just yet,” Kagome replied as she reached down to stroke him after she kissed him and then lay on her back.
 
InuYasha leaned over his mate and kissed her softly before he moved down to lavish his affections on her breast as he reached between her folds and started to rub, dipping in to spread the heated moisture that was starting to emanate from her warm center. He moved his attentions over to the other breast while he continued to rub her pearl as she started to buck into his hand. The next thing she knew, Kagome could feel his tongue digging into her as well. Forgetting that her mother had come home the day before, Kagome cried out InuYasha's name as her inner walls started to convulse, and her juices started to flow.
 
When Kagome finally opened her eyes, she looked up to see that InuYasha was looking down into hers. Once he knew he had her attention, he started to rub up and down against her core, and then suddenly slipped inside to fill her. After he helped Kagome position her legs where she wanted them, he pulled out and thrust into her, hitting that spot deep within her that they had discovered together.
 
Kagome kept her eyes focused on InuYasha's as he drove into her body. There was no doubt, there was nothing except for the love he had for her in his eyes. He in turn saw the same as he looked into her eyes until she finally squeezed them shut as she approached another orgasm. Knowing that her pleasure would bring his own, InuYasha drove into her harder until she screamed his name again. This time, her rippling walls would be enough to help him reach completion, and he cried out her name as he poured his warmth into her. Though slower and gentler, he continued to thrust into her for as long as her body continued to react. When he could tell she wasn't going to be able to take much more, he finally came to a stop and helped her lower her legs. Once Kagome was lying comfortably beneath him, InuYasha lowered his mouth to hers and kissed her again. This time Kagome wrapped both her arms and legs around him, not wanting to let him go.
 
When InuYasha finally pulled apart so Kagome could catch her breath, he asked with a smirk, “Now do we want to get ready and go?”
 
Kagome giggled and kissed him again. “I guess we should take a shower first, but yes, then we should go. Afterwards, I want to come back here and have more time with you before Mama goes and gets Souta.”
 
“Do you think she heard us?” InuYasha asked, though he was pretty certain what the answer was.
 
“It would have been hard not to. Well, maybe on the other side of the well they didn't,” Kagome added with a grin.
 
“I guess we had better go and only take a shower if we are ever going to leave the house today,” InuYasha stated.
 
“Alright, but let's at least put a robe on this time, so Mama doesn't catch us naked again,” Kagome said.
 
InuYasha just grinned.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru walked back in the direction of the well and Goshinboku. He had just reached the area of the well when he saw the soul gatherers circling in the vicinity of the ancient tree. His eyes narrowed as he also caught the scent of graveyard soil. `So, the undead miko has returned here as well. What business could she have here?' the Demon Lord thought. However, something told him to not confront her just yet. Something told him it would be worth it if he just waited. Sesshomaru would wait for the return of his brother and the young miko. He wondered what they would have to say to the undead miko after her treachery towards InuYasha.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kaede knew that Kikyou had returned to the area. Thinking that it might not be a good idea under the circumstances for Sesshomaru and Kikyou to be in the vicinity of the well alone in case InuYasha and Kagome returned, she started walking in that direction. Kaede was also curious what Kikyou was doing back here after all of this time. What could she possibly want? Kaede feared that if Kikyou was here for InuYasha, there would be trouble.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha was once again clad in his firerat and hakama with Tessaiga at his side, though he had more trouble getting dressed than usual. Kagome kept trying to unwrap his fundoshi. InuYasha finally threatened to go down and get dressed in front of her mother if she did not let him get the undergarment wrapped. Kagome finally kept her hands to herself after the hanyou promised that she could remove it after they had returned home from the past. Kagome responded by giggling and kissing InuYasha.
 
Kagome was dressed in a t-shirt and khaki shorts along with socks and running shoes when they left the house and headed across the grounds to the well house. She did not have her backpack with her since they only planned to stay for a short while. The couple still had not decided what they would tell the others regarding their mating but had decided to play it by ear. The one thing that they had agreed on, however, was the story they would tell the others of how InuYasha was found. Anything beyond that, they really didn't need to know.
 
“Oi, you ready?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Ready as I'll ever be,” Kagome replied.
 
“All right then, let's get this over with,” InuYasha said as he picked Kagome up in front of him and jumped into the well.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru smelled the return of InuYasha and Kagome immediately. Their sudden appearance at the bottom of the well startled him. He also raised his eyebrows at what else he was picking up. There was no doubt about it - InuYasha and the miko had mated while they were wherever they were. Sesshomaru saw the old miko walk into the clearing by the well as he approached it. The Demon Lord saw the worry on her face when she saw him there and then felt the return of the wayward pair. Sesshomaru would indeed have to see if he could get an explanation of this.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“We're not alone,” InuYasha said after they had landed in the bottom of the well.
 
“Sesshomaru and Kaede,” Kagome replied and then furrowed her brow. “And that's not all. Let's go.”
 
InuYasha jumped out, holding his mate, to find Sesshomaru and Kaede in the clearing by the well. However, Kagome did not even acknowledge their presence as she took off at a run towards Goshinboku as soon as her feet hit the ground. InuYasha knew right away where she had run off to. The hanyou could smell Kikyou from here, as well as see her soul collectors trying to lead him towards her. Deciding leaving Kagome alone with Kikyou for any amount of time was not a good idea, much to Kaede's surprise, he hoisted her on his back and took off after Kagome. Sesshomaru followed after them. He wanted answers, but they could wait for now.
 
InuYasha was fast enough that, in spite of carrying old Kaede on his back, he made it to the clearing around the tree right after Kagome. InuYasha set Kaede on her feet just in time to watch Kagome run up to Kikyou.
 
SLAP!! Kagome slapped Kikyou across the face with so much anger and strength the crack could be heard throughout the forest.
 
“You fucking BITCH! I cannot believe you did that to InuYasha! All he has EVER done was try to protect you, to try to avenge your death by killing Naraku. I can't believe you left him like that. He would have DIED if Sesshomaru had not helped me find him. If you were not already dead I would KILL you!” Kagome yelled, stunning Kikyou and their onlookers alike.
 
Kikyou rubbed the side of her face. “It is not like I could actually feel that. Besides, InuYasha's life belongs to ME. He will be MINE. If he had died he would have been waiting for me to join him in Hell.”
 
“InuYasha is NOT yours. He belonged to NO ONE, but now he is MINE. InuYasha is MY MATE!! You will NOT take him to Hell or anywhere else,” Kagome responded heatedly.
 
You, what do you think that you can do about it? You are just a poor imitation. If I want to take InuYasha to Hell, there is not anything you can do about it,” the undead miko replied with a smug look on her face. Trying to prove her point, she had her soul gatherers wrap themselves around Kagome, thinking they would trap her there as they had been able to do before.
 
That was the wrong thing to say and do. Kagome glared at Kikyou before she closed her eyes and started to concentrate. Her hair whipped around her even though there was no wind in the still summer air. The soul gatherers that were holding Kagome and those nearby all vanished into a pile of dust, and InuYasha, Sesshomaru, and Kaede could feel the energy crackle around the young miko from where they stood. Kagome opened her eyes again to see that Kikyou's were wide open in shock and fear.
 
Kagome relaxed before she responded, “THAT is what I can do. I CAN call my soul back. I have ONLY allowed you to keep it because your death would have hurt InuYasha. Now you cause him more pain by being alive. If you EVER threaten him again, or me, I will call MY soul back and end your pitiful existence. InuYasha IS my mate, and I will allow NO harm to come to him. If he is ever in danger, I WILL know it. If I even THINK that the threat is caused by you, I will call my soul back to my body and reduce that clay shell to dust. So you had better make certain that InuYasha remains healthy and unharmed. Even if for some reason he did die, even though InuYasha is a hanyou, his heart is human and more pure than yours. I do not think Hell is what the Kami have in mind for him when he finally goes. And when you truly die, that piece of soul that you stole will return to me. It will not be going to Hell. Now, I want you to leave this village. We do not wish to see or smell you unless you have news of Naraku. LEAVE and get the fuck out of my sight before I change my mind and take MY soul back anyway!”
 
Kikyou looked towards InuYasha, but all he did was look at the ground and shake his head. This was not the Kikyou he remembered. At least he hoped the Kikyou that he had loved would never have left him to such a horrible fate as this one did. This Kikyou only caused pain. If Kagome had destroyed her, he would no longer be upset about it, or at least, not for very long. Kikyou had been cleared from his heart that day she left him to face what would have been a most horrible death.
 
Kikyou finally did say something else, “InuYasha, you were supposed to be mine. We were supposed to go to Hell together. I can not believe you chose her.”
 
InuYasha let out a sigh. “Kikyou, I did think I loved you once, but you never loved me, not the way that Kagome does. She has never asked me to be anything other than what I am. She chose to be my mate, and she chose to stay with me for the rest of my life. You wanted me to give up everything that made me strong, everything that allowed me to protect you. Kagome appreciates my youkai half for what it is. Not once has she ever asked me to become human for her. Kagome loves me as a hanyou, and that is what I will stay. And as a hanyou, I do not plan to die for a very long time.”
 
“And what about when she dies and leaves you all alone again?” Kikyou snarled.
 
“Unlike you, who wanted me to become human and shorten my lifespan, Kagome agreed to the blood bond and lengthened hers. She will live as long as I do,” InuYasha replied quietly. By now, Kagome had returned to his side and had reached down to hold his hand, giving him strength.
 
“Sister Kaede,” Kikyou started.
 
Kaede shook her head. “InuYasha and Kagome belong together in a way that you and he never did. You did not heed my warnings about Onigumo which led to Naraku being created, and you did not trust InuYasha enough to try to talk to him after you were attacked. By all rights, you should not even be in this world. I will always love my sister Kikyou, but your actions do not do her justice. If you wish to help rid this world of Naraku, then go on your way.”
 
Kikyou just gave a cold glare in Sesshomaru's direction, so the Demon Lord finally spoke, “If your plan for InuYasha to perish by such a cowardly act had succeeded, you would already have been returned to your grave. No one will kill my bastard hanyou half-brother but this Sesshomaru. You have been warned of that before. Leave before this Sesshomaru ignores the young miko's wishes and sends you from this world.”
 
Fuming, but having nothing else to say that might not make her reincarnation regret her decision to let her live, Kikyou's soul gatherers that had not been fried by Kagome wrapped around her and carried the undead miko off into the forest and away from the village. Kikyou would return to where rumors of Naraku were last heard and resume her journey. The undead miko would rejoin with Kohaku to start searching for Naraku and jewel shards again.
 
Kagome had tears streaming down her face as Kikyou left. She was afraid that everything that had happened had hurt InuYasha again. She turned to him, still holding his hand and giving it a squeeze as she said softly, “I'm so sorry.”
 
InuYasha folded her into his arms as he replied, “It's all right. Thank you.” InuYasha pulled back from her just far enough to wipe the tears away from her face.
 
Sesshomaru was startled when Kagome turned loose of his brother and launched herself so that she was wrapping her arms around him. “Thank you so much, Lord Sesshomaru. Thank you for helping me, helping us.”
 
When Kagome turned him loose, Sesshomaru said, “It appears that you followed the advice you were given.”
 
Kagome had returned to InuYasha's side, and they both nodded.
 
“May this Sesshomaru see your marks?” the Demon Lord asked.
 
InuYasha stepped forward and pulled his sleeve up from his forearm so that Sesshomaru and then Kaede, who had come closer, could see them clearly.
 
“So you did perform the blood bond; that explains a few things,” Sesshomaru commented.
 
“What do you mean?” InuYasha asked.
 
“It seems that you have rubbed off somewhat on the miko. This Sesshomaru does not recall her ever using such language before,” he commented dryly.
 
Kaede nodded in agreement.
 
Kagome blushed but said, “I may have picked up a bit of his temper, but I also seem to be healing faster now. All of my scratches and bruises were gone the next day after we completed the ritual. And I think, once I gain my weight and get my strength back, that I will actually be stronger. Nothing like InuYasha, but stronger than I was before.”
 
They were all silent for a minute as that soaked in.
 
“Keh, it works both ways. Kagome seems to have rubbed off on me a bit as well. I do not seem to get angry as easily as I did before. I feel calmer,” InuYasha commented, breaking the silence.
 
“Miko, what are your marks?” Sesshomaru was curious. He could tell they were more than strong enough to warn any youkai she was mated.
 
Kagome pulled her hair off of her shoulder and stretched her collar out of the way so that Sesshomaru and Kaede could see her marks.
 
Sesshomaru's eyebrows disappeared into his bangs.
 
Kaede asked, “What does it mean?”
 
“It means that InuYasha marked her with both his human and youkai halves. This Sesshomaru did not know such a thing was possible. At best, this Sesshomaru thought there would be a scar from the original bite mark, and nothing more. This mating mark is more than powerful enough to warn off youkai that your miko has a mate. It could be sensed when you reappeared in the well, which brings up another question.”
 
All four of those in the clearing could tell that the others were headed their way, so InuYasha spoke, “Kaede, would you go and head the others off? We need to talk to my brother first before we see them. I don't want to be interrupted by the others. You might let them know that Kagome has a few words for them when we're ready.”
 
Kaede nodded and headed in the direction the others were coming from. After she was out of sight down the path, InuYasha took Kagome's hand and said, “Let's go back to the well.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kagome was sitting on the edge of the well, with InuYasha beside her. InuYasha spoke first. “Sesshomaru, very few people know about this. If Naraku ever found out, it could lead to a disaster. The only ones who know are those in our pack and now you. You can never reveal this to anyone.”
 
“This Sesshomaru understands. How is it that you appeared in the bottom of this well as you did?”
 
“I…I'm not from here. I am from approximately five hundred years in the future,” Kagome started.
 
For the first time that any could ever remember, the Demon Lord's eyes showed shock and a bit of confusion as he said, “I do not understand.”
 
“This well acts as a time portal. We don't really understand how it works, except that InuYasha and I can travel through it. It doesn't work for anyone else, at least that we know of. I was pulled through it by the bones of a centipede demon that had its carcass tossed in here after it was killed. It was just after that when I somehow managed to free InuYasha from the Goshinboku, and he saved me from the youkai. Afterwards, I went back home, and we discovered he could also travel through it when he came to get me. There was a hair youkai who was using hairs to behead and control everyone, and no one could see them, so Kaede told InuYasha he needed me. He jumped in the well and came out on my side. We have been traveling back and forth ever since,” Kagome said softly.
 
“That explains a lot,” Sesshomaru commented. “There were too many things about you that just did not make any sense. But do they not need mikos any more? Why are you not trained in your powers?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “In my time, mikos and priests with true spiritual powers, along with youkai and hanyou, are just fairytales and legends. No one believes in them any more. I was not aware I had any kind of power until I was dragged back through this well.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. He still did not understand it completely but said, “Your secret will not be revealed.”
 
“Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru,” Kagome responded.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
The others had felt the return of Kagome and InuYasha but also knew that Lord Sesshomaru was waiting in the vicinity of the well for them. On top of that, Miroku had spotted the soul gatherers in the area. They were torn as to what to do. Shippou had immediately headed for the well, but Sango had sent Kirara to haul him back. Rin seemed to be the only one not dying to go and find out what was going on. Her Lord had told her to wait here, and here she would wait.
 
They heard the slap that echoed through the forest. Miroku looked at Sango and said, “That sounded like it hurt even more than yours do. What do you think happened?”
 
Sango just shook her head. “I do not know; do you think we should go and check?”
 
“Yeah, let's go see Kagome!” Shippou yelled and took off again, forgetting he had no bottoms and a bare butt.
 
Sango and Miroku looked at each other, shrugged, and took off after him, Kirara right behind them.
 
Rin, however, stayed right where she was. She knew better than to move from where Lord Sesshomaru told her to stay.
 
Shippou, Miroku and Sango were disappointed to run into Kaede before they made it all the way along the path.
 
“InuYasha and Kagome need to speak with Lord Sesshomaru. They will be along in a few minutes,” Kaede told them.
 
“I want to see Kagome now!” Shippou yelled.
 
“Have you forgotten about Lord Sesshomaru's whip? I doubt he would want to be interrupted,” Miroku reminded the kitsune.
 
Shippou responded by falling silent and following the others back towards Kaede's hut.
 
They did not have to wait long. InuYasha came running down the path with Kagome on his back. She had her arms wrapped around his shoulders with her cheek nuzzling the side of his face. She was laughing until she caught sight of the others. InuYasha slowed down as they approached.
 
Sesshomaru landed next to Kaede's hut. Rin ran out and immediately addressed him, “My Lord! You have returned. Is it time to leave?”
 
“Yes Rin, it is.”
 
“May Rin say goodbye?”
 
“Yes Rin, you may.”
 
Rin ran first to stand in front of InuYasha and Kagome. “Kagome-sama, you look much better! Are you well?”
 
Kagome smiled at the young girl. “We are doing much better, Rin, thanks to the help that Lord Sesshomaru gave us.”
 
Miroku and Sango did not miss the glance in their direction as Kagome said that.
 
“InuYasha-sama, you look much better, too!” Rin exclaimed.
 
“Yeah, pup, I'm getting better. Thank Ah-Un for us, will ya?” InuYasha responded.
 
“Rin will! Ah-Un was happy to help,” the energetic girl replied and then turned to the others. “It is time for us to leave. Thank you very much for the food and place to sleep.”
 
“Child, you and Lord Sesshomaru are welcome here any time,” Kaede said with a smile.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, would you like to borrow Kirara for Rin to ride back to the river?” Sango asked.
 
Sesshomaru looked down at the smiling girl, whose pleading eyes were gazing up at him. “That is acceptable.”
 
Kirara transformed and Rin climbed on. Grinning from ear to ear, she wrapped her arms around the fire cat's neck as far as they would reach, and then Kirara followed after Lord Sesshomaru.
 
Now that Rin and Lord Sesshomaru were gone, everyone turned to face Kagome and InuYasha. Shippou had run and launched himself at Kagome, but found himself landing on his already sore behind when she stepped aside with a frown on her face.
 
“OW! Kagome! Why'd you do that!” Shippou cried.
 
“Why didn't you help me find InuYasha, and why didn't you tell the others I had followed after him? I know your nose is good enough that you could have helped. Instead, InuYasha almost died, and then I almost did as well, Shippou. You are always going on about how you are a full demon, and yet you did not make any attempt to follow or help either one of us,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“I thought InuYasha had gone off with Kikyou!” Shippou declared.
 
“Yes, Shippou, you made sure to rub that in more than once while we were waiting. For that matter, so did all of you,” Kagome said.
 
Sango faced her friend. “It was my fault as much as anyone. Houshi actually never brought up Kikyou, and he was the only one who thought you might have followed after InuYasha the night you left. I convinced him you had probably gone home, so we headed back towards the village. We had no real way of knowing which direction you went in since Shippou did not tell us you had gone the opposite way. You have no idea how relieved we were when your bow and arrows appeared at the well.”
 
Kagome motioned for them all to sit. InuYasha sat behind her and pulled her to him so she could lean back against his chest. When everyone was settled she began to speak, “I kept telling you that I thought something had happened to InuYasha, and yet none of you would help me search for him. None of you had even noticed I had stopped eating, and all Shippou did was complain that I kept him awake with my nightmares.
 
"Shippou, if you had told any of us what I was saying, we would have known to go after InuYasha sooner. As it was, we barely found him in time. If I had not run into Lord Sesshomaru's dragon, we would most likely both be dead. Lord Sesshomaru was able to lead me directly to the cave that InuYasha had been sealed in, but he could not enter. I was able to walk through the ward and remove the sutra so that we could get InuYasha out of there. I was too weak to be of much use, but Ah-Un carried both of us to a safe place. I was finally able to get some liquids into InuYasha and Sesshomaru actually killed food for us to eat.
 
"When we were better, he sent us home to recover. We had both lost a lot of weight and were dehydrated. All I can say is how disappointed I was that when I really needed your help, you refused. If we are going to continue to travel together, some things are going to have to change.”
 
Sango wiped away a tear - Sango who never cried. “I am so sorry, Kagome. I should have known that InuYasha would not have left you for so long on purpose. I do not know why I thought he had gone off with Kikyou. I was afraid if we found them together, your heart would have been crushed, and I know you could not take a lot more. We saw the soul gatherers in the area and assumed the worst. I just could not accept that InuYasha has changed.”
 
Miroku was looking at the couple. “Something has changed, has it not?”
 
“Yes, but that isn't what we are talking about right now,” Kagome said seriously.
 
“Shippou, you could have done more than anyone to help locate him. You could have followed InuYasha with your nose. I want to know why you didn't,” Kagome stated.
 
“I don't know. I'm…”
 
“Shippou, enough of that. Lord Sesshomaru may have left, but I am sure I can find something to use on that bare bottom of yours,” Kaede said.
 
“Well, since Shippou probably will not tell you, I will tell you what we found out with Lord Sesshomaru's assistance. Apparently Shippou could smell the attraction the two of you had for each other. He was afraid that if you ended up together, then Kagome would not want him any more. He thought he could drive you apart if Kagome finally went after InuYasha and found him with Kikyou after so much time away,” Miroku told them.
 
“Shippou! You didn't…” Kagome said with great disappointment in her voice. “After everything that InuYasha has done for you, you endangered both of us?”
 
Shippou was looking at the ground and shuffling his feet in the dirt when he said, “I…I'm sorry, Kagome.”
 
“Shippou, I am not the one you need to apologize to. InuYasha nearly died. He probably would have if we had been even a day later getting to him. He was barely holding on when we found him sealed in that cave. How could you be so selfish?” Kagome responded.
 
Shippou was not saying anything, so Kaede spoke again, “Shippou has gone far too long without any kind of discipline. He was thinking only of himself and not the impact his actions might have on anyone else. Kagome, you must allow InuYasha to start correcting the child as he has tried to in the past. Shippou has become used to getting his way by appealing to your heart and getting you to sit InuYasha when all InuYasha was trying to do was teach him some manners. You need to correct him as well. He has turned into a spoiled brat who is not concerned about anyone but himself. You might also consider leaving him here for a while until he has started to show some consideration of others. His actions endangered all of you, and he still has not truly shown that he is sorry about it.”
 
“Shippou, you have no idea how disappointed I am in you. I think what Kaede says is a good idea. We will leave you here on our next trip so you can think about how you have behaved. You did not just endanger InuYasha, but me as well. Also, I will not be stopping InuYasha from disciplining you any more. Kaede's right, I have been too soft, and you've gone too long unchecked,” Kagome said softly.
 
“We did not endanger you! We were right there with you to protect you!” Shippou exclaimed.
 
InuYasha finally spoke with bitterness in his voice, “Like when she left camp in the middle of the night, alone, to follow after me? Like when she had to kill a bunch of youkai that came after her by herself? Like you protected her as she walked for two days and nights without stopping to find me? That is how you protected her?”
 
“We are sorry, InuYasha. We should have known. We have promised to not ever let anything like this happen again. We should have listened to Kagome when she was begging for us to help her. We should have known she would never leave and return home when she thought you were in danger. We are sorry for everything that we have put you through,” Miroku said.
 
“Yes, InuYasha, I can never tell you how sorry I am for my actions. After everything that you have done for me, I did not believe in you, at least not enough. I should have known you would never leave for so long on purpose without saying anything. I swear I will not ever let either of you down again,” Sango added.
 
Now, everyone's attention was turned to the kitsune, who finally spoke again, “I'm sorry, InuYasha. I was wrong. I didn't want you to take Kagome away from me.” This time Shippou burst into tears, for real.
 
Kagome held her arms out to him, and Shippou ran to her. “Shippou, I will forgive you, but you are going to have to stay here on our next trip. I want you to really think about the damage you might have done to all of us by your actions. It was only sheer luck that Sesshomaru was in the area and found me. And just because Kikyou's in an area does not mean that InuYasha is going to willingly go off with her.”
 
Kagome was still holding the sobbing kitsune when she finally noticed he had no pants and his bottom was a bit gooped up in ointment. “Hey, Shippou, what happened to you?”
 
Shippou started bawling louder, and InuYasha and Kagome heard distinct snickers from the others. The monk finally answered her question, “Lord Sesshomaru happened to him.”
 
“What?” Kagome and InuYasha asked together.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru was disturbed by the actions of the others that put you in danger, and especially by Shippou since Lord Sesshomaru knew the kitsune's nose was good enough to track either of you. Shippou would not tell the truth, so he flailed him in the butt with his whip a couple of times to get him to talk. That is how we finally found out the truth of what had happened,” Kaede responded.
 
“When did your brother become so interested in your welfare? Why did he help you?” Miroku asked.
 
Kagome and InuYasha both shook their heads, but Kagome responded, “I don't know. Even when he proclaims that no one will kill InuYasha but him, I don't really believe it. I also knew from before that that even if they had been fighting, Sesshomaru would not strike down InuYasha when he is helpless. And while Sesshomaru can be cruel, he also has honor. We had helped him save Rin from Naraku, so he in turn helped me find InuYasha. I think he has also changed since he started taking care of Rin. He can claim he hates humans all he wants, but you can't deny the fact that he protects that little girl. Lord Sesshomaru is far too complicated to even begin to decipher his motives.”
 
The others just nodded in agreement.
 
Miroku finally asked again, “So are you going to tell us about what else has changed?”
 
Shippou's nose had been working ninety miles an hour. “Yeah, you two sure smell alike!”
 
InuYasha spoke again, “Which is why what we have to say will not be said in front of you. You tend to speak without thinking. You have put us all in danger before with your mouth because of it. You say things out loud that have provided vital information to our enemies. We'll return to the well to finish this conversation before we return to Kagome's home. Shippou, you will remain here. Sango, will you leave Kirara with him to make certain he doesn't follow?”
 
Sango nodded. The firecat had returned from the river during their discussion.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
They returned to the clearing by the well, each lost in their own thoughts, no one saying anything to drown out the frustrated cries of the kitsune back by Kaede's hut. He had immediately tried to go after them and was now dangling from Kirara's jaws by his shirt so that he could not follow.
 
After everyone was seated, Kagome spoke, “First, what's done, is done. Second, no teasing or giving InuYasha a hard time. We have had a difficult time with this entire ordeal. I expect you to act as adults when we tell you this. We weren't certain how much we should let you know because some of you tend to act childish with this type of information.” Kagome was looking pointedly at Miroku as she said this before she continued, “Also, InuYasha was right. You cannot repeat any of this in front of Shippou. He has said things in front of our enemies that put us all in greater danger because he does not think before he speaks.”
 
It was funny, but without saying a word, Kagome and InuYasha had come to an agreement that they needed to let the others know of their bonds. To endanger one of them was to endanger them both, so they each felt the others should know of their new relationship.
 
“Thanks to Sesshomaru, InuYasha and I discovered that our souls had already bonded, like two mates would have. The simple fact is, that if InuYasha had died, I would not have lasted long without him,” Kagome said as she watched what she said sink into the others.
 
“So your nightmares were really InuYasha calling to you in your sleep?” Sango asked in wonder.
 
“Yes. That is how Sesshomaru figured it out, and why he went searching for InuYasha when I was passed out cold. Sesshomaru could tell that my words were not my own. It was also because of that tie that I was drawn towards InuYasha. I felt as though I were being pulled in his direction though I lost consciousness when I ran into Ah-Un, and my forward motion was finally halted,” Kagome responded.
 
“So what happened?” Sango asked quietly.
 
“As I said before, Sesshomaru was able to track InuYasha to the cave he had been sealed in but could not enter it. He came back for me and took me to the entrance after I was awake. I was able to walk through the ward and remove the sutra that sealed InuYasha in the cave. InuYasha had been holding on, hoping that I would find him in time,” Kagome replied quietly.
 
“I still do not understand exactly how you were trapped, though. What happened, InuYasha?” Miroku asked seriously.
 
“A priest was using a young girl pretending to be hurt as bait. Apparently they had sutra to hide themselves from me because I didn't feel, smell, or hear their approach. They were able to seal and leave me there,” was all InuYasha was willing to say. It was the truth even if a few things had been left out.
 
“But what were they really after? They must have been using the girl as bait for a reason.” Kaede spoke this time.
 
“Apparently, there had been a youkai grabbing girls from the village that had wandered too far into the forest. The priest intended to capture and kill the youkai that was taking the village girls,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Why did they not kill you, then?” Sango asked seriously.
 
“They were too cowardly to do it properly, so they left him sealed in that cave instead,” Kagome replied.
 
Miroku, Sango and Kaede all thought there was probably more to it, but would not ask for now.
 
“So what else happened?” Sango asked after they had sat in silence for a few moments.
 
“Sesshomaru suggested that we complete the mating ritual. Because our souls had already bonded, if another grabbed me and claimed me by force, I would probably die after being ripped away from InuYasha. He in turn would probably die without me. InuYasha didn't think I wanted to be with him that way, but I did. We completed the mating ritual while at my home. We also performed the blood bond. InuYasha and I are now bonded together in every way. We are bonded by body, blood, and soul,” Kagome responded.
 
Miroku suddenly understood why Kagome had made a point that he was not to make fun of InuYasha. Oh well... So instead he asked, “There is obviously something more we need to know about this, something that you did not want Shippou to hear.”
 
“It's like she said earlier, Monk. If one of us dies, the other will probably follow shortly afterwards unless there is a very strong reason to live. To endanger one of us is to endanger the other. I can no longer act recklessly, and you must help protect Kagome. She has picked up some traits from me, like she seems to heal faster and is becoming stronger. Still, you can't ever again allow something like what happened when she went off into the forest in the middle of the night alone to search for me. She's the head bitch of this pack and you need to pay heed to her,” InuYasha replied.
 
Kagome saw the surprise register on their faces. She knew what it was - InuYasha had just called her `bitch,' and Kagome did not sit him.
 
“There is something else you need to make certain that you understand. InuYasha is my mate. I trust him with my heart and my life. I will no longer hold the kind of control over him that I had. The truth is a lot of this may never have happened if I had been forced to speak with him before instead of sitting him and running home,” Kagome said, wondering if they would catch exactly what she had said.
 
They had. Now the three were staring at InuYasha, finally realizing what was missing when his face did not slam into the ground though he had flinched when he heard the dreaded word.
 
“So you finally removed the rosary,” Kaede said.
 
Kagome nodded as she squeezed InuYasha's hand.
 
“Good. He has not needed it in a long time. It will also probably help to put an end to Shippou tormenting InuYasha just so he can watch you sit him,” Kaede added.
 
“I can see that now. I don't know why I didn't see it before. I should have known that InuYasha would never really hurt Shippou,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“Kagome?” Miroku asked.
 
When she nodded for him to continue, Miroku added, “What was that we heard when you first returned? We heard a slap that echoed through the forest.”
 
“That was me giving Kikyou a piece of my mind,” Kagome said heatedly.
 
“For what? You have never confronted her that way before,” Sango asked softly, though she could only imagine. “Did Kikyou come for InuYasha?”
 
“Kikyou is the reason that InuYasha was sealed and left in that cave to starve to death. She passed by when the priest initially trapped him. Instead of telling them who InuYasha was, she told them that he was just a hanyou she could not bring herself to kill because of his human half. That was why InuYasha was left like he was when they had originally planned to kill the demon they caught,” Kagome answered, anger still evident in her voice.
 
“How cruel,” Miroku said sadly, before he continued, “But we also felt a surge in power right after that. What was that?”
 
“Kikyou made the mistake of telling me that I would not be able to do anything about it if she chose to take InuYasha to Hell with her. I basically showed her how mistaken she was. I showed her I could yank the rest of my soul back from her at any time and told her that if there was even a hint that InuYasha was in danger, I would assume it was because of her and would do so,” Kagome answered.
 
“So Kikyou will not be bothering you any more, or coming for InuYasha?” Sango asked.
 
“No, not if she wants to continue walking on the face of this earth,” Kagome replied.
 
Everyone fell silent as they processed what they had learned.
 
Miroku broke the silence. “I do have one other question. Do you know what happened to the youkai that was carrying off the village girls?”
 
InuYasha responded, “The youkai made the mistake of stalking Rin.”
 
InuYasha did not even have to finish. They all understood what that meant.
 
This time the silence was interrupted by the growling of Kagome's stomach. InuYasha looked at her and said, “I think that means we need to return, so you can get something to eat.”
 
About that time, InuYasha's belly was rumbling as well.
 
Kagome laughed as she responded, “I'm not the only one. You are hungry again, too.”
 
Kagome decided to explain to the others. “Since we lost so much weight, we have been eating a lot of small meals. At first it was the only way we could keep food down, but now we are trying to get back to our normal weights. InuYasha's almost back to normal, but I still have a ways to go.”
 
InuYasha stood and helped Kagome to her feet, and the others stood as well.
 
“So you are returning now?” Sango asked.
 
“Keh. Kagome needs to get her strength completely back before we go searching for shards and Naraku again. She has to start school in a few days and needs to be there for the first day. After that, we plan to return so we can start our search again. In the meantime, you could all use the rest. We had been driving pretty hard the last few weeks. We'll return in…” InuYasha looked to Kagome to finish for him.
 
“We should return in about ten days, maybe a little longer. Have everything ready to go, but make it clear to Shippou that no amount of whining and complaining will change my mind. If he tries it, I'll probably just get mad again and leave him here on the next trip, too. You might let him know that I have picked up a few traits from InuYasha, and he probably would not want to see them demonstrated,” Kagome said.
 
Kaede nodded her head in agreement.
 
Sango and Miroku decided they would ask Kaede what that was about after Kagome and InuYasha were gone.
 
InuYasha swept Kagome off her feet so that he was holding her in front of him. He said, “We'll see you in a few days,” as Kagome waved good-bye for now. They were surprised to see InuYasha quickly kiss Kagome on her lips before he jumped into the well and disappeared into the future.
 
Kaede, Sango, and Miroku all looked at one other. They each knew things would never really be the same again.
 
 
^~^
Terms:
Genkan = entryway
geta-bako = shoe cupboard
 
* * * ^~^ * * *
 
I know this one is probably considered short for me, but this is the last chapter of“Live and Let Die.” However, there is a sequel. Look for“Live and Let Die: Awakenings,” athttp://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/118908/1.In any case, thank you for taking the time to read my fanfic, and thank you again to those of you who took the time to leave a review.
 
Until next time,
 
doggieearlover ^~^