InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die ❯ Answers and a Few More Questions ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the anime/manga characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
AN: Thanks to each of you who have taken the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die
 
 
Chapter 6: Answers and a Few More Questions ( ^~^ Warning: Lime)
 
Kikyou was still fuming. She thought she would be able to catch her reincarnate and take the shards of the jewel she had away from her while InuYasha was indisposed. The undead miko really did not care what happened to the hanyou at this point. He just kept getting in her way of her planned revenge for Naraku. If InuYasha died, he would simply be waiting in Hell for her when she finally stopped walking the face of the earth in her unnatural form. Maybe if InuYasha was not here, her reincarnation would go back home where she belonged in her own time.
 
Things had not worked out quite like she had planned. Kikyou had been too late to catch Kagome as she searched the woods for InuYasha. She had not considered that the girl would have the strength of will to go on for two days and nights without stopping. Instead, the young miko had run headlong into InuYasha's older, full demon brother, and he had actually helped her.
 
Helped her! How dare he! Lord Sesshomaru not only assisted her pitiful excuse for a reincarnation in finding InuYasha, he had aided them in returning to the village without interference. With no new leads to Naraku and nothing better to do, the undead miko started towards the village she used to call home.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama Higurashi had returned from Yokohama alone. Her cousin Hiroshi was having a difficult time getting away from Naples. He did have a family and business there after all, and he had to make certain that everything was in order before he could be away for an extended period of time. Grandfather had volunteered to stay and take care of his brother until the son could return home. Since it looked like it might be well into the start of the school year before Hiroshi arrived in Yokohama, Mama had come back to the shrine in order to get everything that Souta and Kagome would need for school. However, Mama had decided she might enjoy a day or two at home alone before she called Mrs. Akimoto to pick Souta up. It wasn't often she had the house to herself.
 
Mama was a bit surprised when she came in and saw the single bowl and pair of chopsticks on the table. The first thing she thought was that Kagome had another fight with InuYasha and had come back from the past, and that she must really be upset because it was not like her to leave dirty dishes on the table. Kagome always washed her dishes before she left them to dry and then put them away. Mama decided she would go upstairs and check on her and let her know that she was home. If Kagome was staying home all by herself, then she must be really distraught. She was probably upstairs either crying in her bedroom or the bath.
 
Mama started to climb the stairs slowly, not sure what she should say to her daughter if her heart had been crushed again. Mama knew that Kagome and InuYasha walked a fragile line. It was obvious the two loved each other, but both were afraid to admit it. They kept hurting each other without really intending to. Mama wished they could just confess how they felt and get it out into the open. She was lost in her thoughts as she ascended the stairs though she was startled when she thought she heard voices. Had Kagome started talking to herself in her grief?
 
Mama had just reached the top of the stairs when she heard the bedroom door start to open. She decided she would wait where she was so Kagome would see her, and she wouldn't startle her daughter. Shocked did not even begin to cover Mama's thoughts when a very naked hanyou came out carrying a very naked Kagome with her legs and arms wrapped around him. Wait a minute, they weren't…no…they couldn't…no…they were…Mama couldn't say anything. In her initial shock she just brought her hand up to cover her mouth but not hide her eyes which were wide open and locked onto the hanyou who now had his gaze locked onto her with an expression that clearly conveyed, `oh fuck.' Kagome sounded so happy when she asked InuYasha why he'd stopped. Her face had pretty much the same expression as InuYasha's did though she was able to choke out, “Mama!”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru strode alongside Kaede, returning to her hut where he knew the others waited. He wanted to hear their explanations of why they had abandoned their pack leaders himself, and he really wanted to hear what excuse the kitsune had for his behavior.
 
The Demon Lord only raised an eyebrow when the monk and the demon slayer carrying her huge boomerang, along with a transformed Kirara, came running towards him but then slid to a halt when they realized that Kaede was leading Sesshomaru their way. Shock and bewilderment crossed their faces as they looked at the stoic Inu Youkai, and he returned their glare.
 
Kaede broke the silence. “Lord Sesshomaru has confirmed that InuYasha has returned home with Kagome. However, he has some questions for you and Shippou.”
 
“Shippou? Where is Shippou?” Sango asked as she looked around. She thought he had been right behind them.
 
Shippou felt the tremendous aura approaching and knew it wasn't good. He had taken off in the opposite direction looking for somewhere to hide. He did not know why InuYasha's older full youkai brother was here, but he knew it couldn't be good news for him.
 
“Kirara, find Shippou and bring him back,” Sango said to the two-tailed cat.
 
Kirara might not could speak, but she did have some idea of what was going on. She roared and took off in the direction that Shippou had. Kirara caught up with him on the other side of the herb garden, snatched him by the back of his shirt, and hauled him back.
 
The others were all sitting in a circle, not saying anything, waiting for Kirara's return. She jumped lightly into the middle of the group and dropped Shippou before she returned to her smaller form and hopped in Sango's lap.
 
Shippou wasn't about to stay put. He scrambled over the monk and tried to get away again. This time he found himself face to face with an irritated Demon Lord, who lashed out with his whip and flailed the kitsune's rear, searing though his pants and taking a strip of hide right off of his butt.
 
Shippou started wailing, “Why me!! I'm just a little kid!”
 
“Enough!” Sesshomaru commanded. “This Sesshomaru wants to know why you willingly endangered the leaders of your pack. You may be young by youkai standards, but you are still older than any other here. This Sesshomaru demands to know why you allowed the miko and bastard hanyou to almost die!”
 
Sesshomaru grabbed the still crying Shippou by the scruff of his neck and brought him back to the circle.
 
Sango's eyes along with Miroku's were wide open. “What do you mean, almost die?” they said together.
 
“This Sesshomaru means exactly that. When InuYasha was gone for so long, why did you not go after him? And then why did you let the miko go after him alone? If she had not run into Ah-Un, she and InuYasha would probably both be dead now. She needed a good nose to help her find him, and you should have been there to help protect her. She killed numerous demons on her own in spite of not sleeping or eating for two solid days while she searched.”
 
“I…I do not understand. InuYasha is stronger than all of us. He always gets out of whatever he gets into. What could have possibly stopped him that he could not escape?” Miroku asked in all seriousness. He had been wracking his brain trying to determine what could have stopped the hanyou. But nothing ever really had, not when he was in his hanyou form. Only as a human had InuYasha truly needed their protection.
 
“Something that only someone of your profession could have done to him, Monk,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
“What happened?” Sango asked softly, wiping away a tear. Now she really felt badly.
 
“A priest tricked him by using a young girl pretending to be injured as bait. He sealed InuYasha in a cave with no food and water and left him there. It is only because the miko came that he was found and set free in time,” Sesshomaru replied. “They both nearly died because they had gone so long without food. The miko passed out cold when she finally stopped and would have been killed or captured by any number of demons in her weakened condition if she had not run into this Sesshomaru.”
 
“Oh, Kami. It is all my fault,” Sango started. “I convinced Kagome we should just wait for InuYasha, and then I convinced the monk that Kagome had probably gone home. He said she might have gone after InuYasha the morning after she left.”
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes and glared at the kitsune, who was still whimpering and rubbing his behind. “What this Sesshomaru wants to know is why the kitsune did not track either InuYasha or the miko. His nose is more than good enough to have told you that their trails led in the opposite direction of this village. Even though this Sesshomaru could not set InuYasha free from the cave, the hanyou's scent led right to it. The miko was able to walk through the ward to remove it to free him.”
 
Shippou started again, “I…I don't know… Ooowwwww! That hurts!”
 
Sesshomaru had lashed out and peeled another strip of hide off of the kitsune's now not-so-fluffy butt.
 
“Enough! Answer the question. Why did you allow Kagome and InuYasha to nearly die!”
 
Shippou started wailing, “InuYasha isn't good enough for Kagome! He keeps running off and leaving her for Kikyou!”
 
“No. You are lying. This Sesshomaru can smell it. Tell the truth, Kitsune,” the youkai demanded.
 
Shippou stared at the Demon Lord's right hand, that deadly right hand that had given him a very bare and painful butt. Shippou was not going to be able to sit or lay down on his back probably for days. Tears leaked as he tried to figure out how he was going to get out of this.
 
“Do you want another lashing? Speak!” Sesshomaru commanded.
 
“IcouldsmelltheirattractionforeachotherandIthoughtKagom ewouldn'twantmeanymore!” Shippou rattled off in a hurry.
 
“What?” Miroku, Sango, and Kaede asked.
 
“I thought that if InuYasha were with Kikyou, and then Kagome finally found him with her after he had been gone so long, she wouldn't want to be with him any more and, and, and…” Shippou said a little slower so they could understand him.
 
“You endangered your entire pack because you were jealous? Emotions do not do a youkai justice,” Sesshomaru said.
 
Shippou wailed, “Justbecauseyou'recoldandheartlessdoesn'tmeanIhavetobe!”
 
Kaede looked at the Demon Lord. “Lord Sesshomaru, obviously you understand what he just said. Will you explain it to us?”
 
“The kitsune could smell the attraction that InuYasha and Kagome had for each other. Apparently he thought the miko would not want him around any more if they were together. But this Sesshomaru does not understand what it would have accomplished if the miko did find InuYasha with the undead miko.”
 
Of course Sesshomaru did not know of InuYasha's previous relationship with Kikyou, just as the others, except for Kaede, did not know of InuYasha and Kagome's souls being bound together as two mates.
 
Miroku looked at Shippou. “Yes, Shippou - just exactly what did you think would happen if Kagome found InuYasha with Kikyou? What does she usually do when that happens?”
 
Shippou had not even thought it through that far; he just stood and stared. His plan would have backfired big time. Kagome would have run home through the well, and he might never have seen her again at all.
 
“It was not such a brilliant plan, was it Shippou? You endangered the lives of InuYasha, who avenged your father for you, and Kagome, who you proclaim to be your foster mother. You endangered this entire group with your selfishness and jealousy. If InuYasha and Kagome are meant to be together, there is nothing you can do to stop it. I am going to suggest to Kagome that she start allowing InuYasha to discipline you like he has tried to before. I know you always tell Kagome that InuYasha is being mean so he gets sat,” Kaede said seriously. “You have gone far too long without any discipline.”
 
Sesshomaru was still glaring at the kitsune for his reckless behavior. “That sounds like an excellent idea.”
 
Shippou continued to wail. His bottom really hurt. The others just glowered at him.
 
Kaede continued, “Lord Sesshomaru, we can never thank you enough for helping InuYasha and Kagome.”
 
Sango, Miroku, and even Shippou nodded in agreement.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, we will never let them down again. We have our own strengths, and we will make certain we use them if anything like this ever happens again. However, we will try to insure that it does not,” Miroku said.
 
Sango asked, “So InuYasha has gone home with Kagome?”
 
The Demon Lord nodded in response.
 
“Do you have any idea how long they will be away?” Miroku added.
 
“InuYasha had not eaten or had water in at least seven days, and the miko looked like she had not eaten for at least four or five. It will probably take at least as long to gain their strength back, if not longer, than they took to lose it. Both had lost a fair amount of weight in addition to being dehydrated,” Sesshomaru responded and then added, “Since the miko is human, she will take longer to recover than the hanyou.”
 
“I am just so relieved to hear that they are both safe,” Sango said before she decided a change of subject was in order, “Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded to acknowledge she could speak.
 
“Forgive me for asking, but don't you have a human girl that usually travels with you? Where is she?” Sango asked.
 
“Rin is by the river with Jaken an Ah-Un. They were supposed to stay away from the village and out of trouble,” the Demon Lord responded.
 
This time Kaede spoke, “We have plenty of stew for our meal if you would like to bring her here. You and she would be more than welcome.”
 
“This Sesshomaru does not eat human food, but Rin could use a hot meal. This Sesshomaru will retrieve her.”
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, if it would make the trip faster, you can take Kirara with you. Rin can ride her back,” Sango volunteered.
 
Kirara meowed in agreement.
 
“That is acceptable,” Sesshomaru said as he stood, and then rose into the air.
 
Kirara transformed and then followed him towards the river.
 
Miroku looked thoughtful as he watched the Inu Youkai disappear over the tree line. When Sesshomaru was finally completely out of sight, he looked at Kaede, “There is still something that you did not tell us - something that has happened to InuYasha and Kagome.”
 
“Yeah, I got that feeling, too,” Sango said.
 
“You have heard Kagome say, `what does not kill you makes you stronger.' Let us hope that it is true. In any case, it is not my place to say any more than has been said. Shippou, I hope you realize the seriousness of what you have done. Both InuYasha and Kagome nearly died because you thought you could drive them apart. And you also need to understand that you have got to stop tormenting Kagome. You hurt her as much as anyone when you keep rubbing my dead sister's name in her face. You must accept that she and InuYasha belong together, and that the only promise that InuYasha intends to keep to Kikyou is to kill Naraku to avenge her death and nothing more. Now, let us see if Kagome left anything behind that might be of use on that raw bottom of yours,” Kaede said.
 
Miroku and Sango couldn't help but to snicker.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama said hurriedly, “I'll be downstairs waiting when you two are dressed.”
 
She almost ran down the stairs to the kitchen, her hand still covering the broad smile that crossed her face. All Mama could think was, `It's about time!'
 
Mama put the bowl in the sink and then finally noticed the other bowls and plates that had been washed and left to dry. Just how long had the two been here by themselves? At least it wasn't too hard to guess what they had been up to.
 
Mama took the tea kettle and filled it with fresh water and put it on to boil. They would definitely need tea when the couple finally came downstairs.
 
Mama realized she would have to let the couple know that she was happy, no thrilled, that they were finally together. However, she did want to know what had finally made them see the light. Mama thought she also had better have a talk with Kagome about birth control if it wasn't too late. She wanted her daughter to be happy, but Mama really wanted Kagome to finish school before she starting having children.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha had just backed into the bedroom and was now sitting, somewhat stunned, with Kagome in his lap on the bed. However, he wasn't hard any more. Seeing Mama had just knocked the wind right out of his sail.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“I don't think she's mad,” Kagome said softly.
 
“You, too?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I don't know. I could almost sense that she is happy about this,” Kagome responded.
 
“How can you tell?” InuYasha was curious. That's what he was picking up from Mama as well.
 
“This may seem kind of weird, but I think you may have rubbed off on me a bit,” Kagome replied.
 
“I think it works both ways. I know I should be upset, but I'm not,” InuYasha said.
 
“Well, should we get dressed and face the firing squad?” Kagome asked.
 
“Keh?”
 
“It's an expression. We need to face Mama and tell her what has happened,” Kagome clarified. “I wanted to tell her, but I didn't plan for her to find out like this.”
 
InuYasha blushed. “I know what you mean.”
 
Kagome pulled on a pair of shorts and tank top, and InuYasha did the same. Kagome opened the bedroom door, took InuYasha's hand, and led him downstairs.
 
They entered the kitchen to find Mama pouring three cups of tea. Kagome and InuYasha sat across from her at the kitchen table and did not say a word as Mama gave each of them a cup.
 
Mama decided she would have to break the silence. “I'm so glad you two finally worked out your differences. Are you going to tell me what happened?”
 
Kagome and InuYasha both let out a sigh of relief. Neither realized that they had been holding their breath. Kagome squeezed InuYasha's hand to let him know she would go first.
 
Kagome told her mother most of the information about how InuYasha had been missing for a week and that the others would not help her go look for him because they thought he might be with Kikyou, and how she had left in the middle of the night and finally found him with the aid of his older brother. Because neither she nor InuYasha had eaten, and InuYasha had not had any water either, they both were starving and dehydrated. Sesshomaru sent them home to recover.
 
Mama asked, “That's not all, is it?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Sesshomaru told us that our souls had already bonded like two mates. Apparently our auras decided that we belonged together, so we were soul mates, literally, without realizing it. Sesshomaru told InuYasha that he needed to consider completing the ritual so that we truly would be mates and bonded together in every way. InuYasha did not think I wanted to be tied to him that way, but I did.”
 
“What exactly does it mean, that you are mates?” Mama asked.
 
InuYasha responded this time. “The closest thing that humans have to it is marriage, except that taking a mate is permanent. Kagome and I are now bonded together in soul, body, and blood. The only thing that can separate us is death.”
 
The seriousness of that statement took a few minutes to sink in before Mama asked, “So you are mates now? I assume that was the body bonding part you were working on when I came home.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome both blushed and Kagome muttered, “Yeah, we've been working on that part a lot.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
Kagome heard the seriousness in her mother's voice, “Yes, Mama?”
 
“What about protection?” Mama asked hesitantly.
 
“I'll always protect her,” InuYasha responded.
 
“No, InuYasha, that isn't what she means. She is talking about ways to keep me from getting pregnant,” Kagome said softly.
 
“Oh,” InuYasha said before telling Mama that the only time he could produce offspring, according to the journal his father left with Sesshomaru, was on the night of the new moon when he could produce a human child and that of the full moon when he could produce a hanyou pup. On top of that, he could smell when she was fertile.
 
Mama nodded, so at least they hadn't just gone into this blindly, without reason. But still... “Kagome, I would still feel better if you would let me take you for one of those shots. I know you did not want one before because you didn't think this would ever happen, but I would rather be safe than sorry.”
 
“Shot?” InuYasha asked.
 
“They have a shot that would keep me from getting pregnant. We could be together any time we wanted if I had one,” Kagome said as she blushed. She would not mind making love to InuYasha in his human form, too.
 
“You'd never have pups?” InuYasha asked sadly.
 
“No, InuYasha. The shot wears off. It's only good for a few months at a time. Besides, we already decided we needed to wait until Naraku is dead, and I have finished school, anyway,” Kagome answered.
 
“Oh, all right,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Mama?” Kagome asked quietly. “There is something else you need to know.”
 
“What is it, dear?”
 
“Not only are our souls bonded, but we performed the blood bond as well. It tied my lifespan to InuYasha's,” Kagome said softly.
 
“So that means that you will live…”
 
“For a very long time,” InuYasha answered. He did not feel the need to add, `unless we get killed in battle.'
 
“Is there a way for others to tell you are mates?” Mama asked.
 
“We marked each other,” Kagome answered. “Show her your forearm, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha extended his arm towards her mother. Mama looked at the symbols in wonder and asked, “You went and got tattooed?”
 
“No, Mama. That's where I bit him to draw blood. When the wound healed, it had turned into the Kanji,” Kagome responded.
 
“He marked you as well?”
 
Kagome nodded, and pulled her hair and shirt away from her neck. Mama had come around the table to look at the mark at the junction of her neck and shoulder, “I understand the Kanji, even though it is different than yours, but what is this other mark?”
 
InuYasha answered her, “Apparently my youkai half marked her as well. That is the symbol of my family's house.”
 
“InuYasha, I understand `Savior' and `Love,' but I do not really understand `Home',” Mama asked as she went to sit back across from them.
 
“Yeah, InuYasha, I never asked you exactly what that meant,” Kagome added.
 
InuYasha blushed again. “I realized a long time ago that I felt at home wherever we were as long as Kagome was by my side. As long as I am with her, I have a place to belong.”
 
Mama and Kagome nodded in understanding.
 
Mama did have one other question. “How did your marks end up where they are? I mean, Kagome, yours is on your shoulder towards the back, and InuYasha's is on his forearm.”
 
“InuYasha's skin was too tough for me to break, so he had to do it himself. He broke the skin with his own fangs and then I was able to complete my marking,” Kagome responded.
 
“And the one on your shoulder?” Mama asked.
 
“Well, Mama, he is half dog demon after all,” Kagome replied with a blush.
 
“Oh!” Mama said as what Kagome said sunk in.
 
“Mama? Where's Grandpa?” Kagome asked. Right now she was very glad he did not appear to be here.
 
“Cousin Hiroshi was having a hard time getting everything organized so he could come home, so your grandfather volunteered to stay as long as needed to take care of his brother. He told me to come on home so I could get Souta and then help the two of you get ready to start the school year. Any chance you will be here for the first day of school?” Mama responded.
 
Kagome groaned. “How much time do we have?”
 
“A week from Monday,” Mama answered.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru had returned to the group with Rin, who had both arms wrapped around Kirara's neck and a large smile on her face. Riding the furry fire cat was even more fun than riding Ah-Un.
 
They landed and Rin jumped down, rubbing the top of Kirara's head and telling her thank you as the cat transformed.
 
Rin turned to the group and politely bowed. “Rin thanks you for the invitation to dinner.”
 
The others looked at each other before responding. Shippou certainly could use some lessons in manners from the young girl.
 
Sango responded, “You are more than welcome, Rin. We have plenty and would like to share.”
 
Sango held her hand out to the young girl and took hers. Sesshomaru nodded and Rin followed Sango into the hut and the waiting pot of stew.
 
Kaede had waited for the others to enter the hut before she asked, “Lord Sesshomaru, are you certain you would not like something to eat? Or is there any other way we can help to repay you?”
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes at the thought. “No, this Sesshomaru does not care for human food, but would you be willing for Rin to stay here for the night? This Sesshomaru has something to attend to.”
 
“We would be glad to make room for her. What should I tell the girl?” Kaede asked.
 
“Tell her to wait here. This Sesshomaru will come to collect her when he has finished his business. She will understand.”
 
Kaede nodded and followed the others indoors.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha. “You understand what I told you about school?”
 
“Keh, it's important that you go. I understand that even though I don't like it,” the hanyou replied.
 
Mama interrupted, “Just where were you two headed when I came home?”
 
Kagome and InuYasha blushed again. “The shower,” they replied together.
 
InuYasha wrinkled his nose. “We still need one.”
 
“Do you want to go ahead and go upstairs to take one?” Kagome asked.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha replied as he stood. He could tell Kagome wanted to talk with her mother.
 
After InuYasha had gone upstairs, Mama finally asked, “Kagome, do you plan to get married?”
 
Kagome nodded. “I wanted to wait until I finished school if possible, since I don't plan to have children until after then. I told InuYasha that you would want a wedding, and that I did too. He said he understood. I would only want to have it earlier if we manage to defeat Naraku and complete the Shikon no Tama. I would want to be married here, in front of my family, before the jewel is purified in case the well is sealed and I end up on the other side.”
 
Both fell silent at that thought.
 
Mama finally spoke, “Well, I think this calls for a celebration. Why don't you go up and jump in the shower with InuYasha and then get dressed. We should go out.”
 
Kagome blushed. “Mama, did you just say…”
 
“Yes, dear. All I can say is that it's about time. I know you two probably will not have a lot of privacy once you go back. Don't mind me; go and finish what you started,” Mama said with a smile.
 
Kagome flushed bright red as she walked out of the kitchen but then ran up the stairs as fast as she could go.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru found himself back at the well. He was still puzzled why the hanyou and miko's scents abruptly ended somewhere inside. After standing at the side of the well and peering down for some time, the Demon Lord lightly jumped and landed at the bottom. Their scents were here as well, so obviously they did end up in the bottom at some point. Sesshomaru also noticed that from here, he could tell that at least the miko appeared to climb out. He knew his brother would have the power to simply jump. In addition, Sesshomaru noticed the strange tingling he could feel from the magic that filled this well. Deciding it might not be a good idea to linger, Sesshomaru jumped out. Why would his brother and miko go into this well? And where was the miko's home? Even though they had come to this village, neither was anywhere to be found. Their trails only led to this well or back to the old miko's hut.
 
As the Demon Lord looked up, the ancient tree caught his attention. Curious, he walked until he was standing in front of it.
 
`So this was it. This was where InuYasha was sealed,' Sesshomaru thought.
 
InuYasha had been sealed to the Goshinboku for so long that his scent still permeated the wood. Sesshomaru realized that the scent of this tree was part of his brother's scent as well. The Inu Youkai found himself rubbing his hand across the area where InuYasha had been sealed for fifty years. There were so many mysteries here. It was a mystery to Sesshomaru how InuYasha was sealed to the tree to begin with, another mystery how he was freed, the Bone Eating Well was a mystery in itself, and the young miko herself was another unknown.
 
Sesshomaru found himself sitting at the base of the tree. He did not understand it, but somehow it helped to clear his mind. The Demon Lord really did not understand everything that had happened. He did not understand why he had become concerned about his bastard hanyou half-brother. He had hated him since the day he was born for what he was. Sesshomaru blamed his father's death on the hanyou as well because he had gone to save InuYasha and his mother even though he had been mortally wounded by Ryuukotsusei. And yet, InuYasha had turned out to be strong. There was no doubt that Father's blood ran through his veins. The hanyou should have perished as a child after his mother had died, and yet he had lived. It was clear that there was a strong instinct for survival there and the intelligence to stay alive in the most difficult circumstances.
 
Sesshomaru also knew that his brother did not hate him as he had assumed he did. After InuYasha discovered the secret of the Wind Scar and used it against him, Sesshomaru eventually went to Totosai. He had every intention of telling the old youkai to take Tessaiga back and break it because InuYasha was too weak to use it and did not deserve it. That was when the master sword smith told him that InuYasha had admitted that he could not use it to its full effect against his only brother.
 
Sesshomaru shook his head to clear it of all of these new questions he had. He looked up at the spreading branches of the immense tree above him and thought `Damn you, tree. This is your fault.' However, Sesshomaru did not move from his spot. Instead, he fell asleep.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha was in the shower, mulling over what had just happened. He could not believe it - Mama Higurashi actually seemed happy about what had happened. She accepted him just as Kagome did. He was lost in his thoughts when he was surprised to find the shower door opening and Kagome joining him.
 
“What about your mother?” InuYasha asked.
 
“She told me to come up and finish what we started. Then she wants to take us out,” Kagome responded with a grin as she reached up with one hand and down with the other.
 
“Finish what we started, huh?” InuYasha replied as he leaned into her hands.
 
“Uh-huh,” Kagome answered as she put her hands on his shoulders, waiting for him to pick her up.
 
“So what are you waiting for?” Kagome asked.
 
InuYasha picked her up and quickly they were back in the position that Mama had caught them in, although this time they were under the streaming hot water. He reached down between them with one hand to add to his mate's pleasure while she bounced up and down along his shaft. InuYasha couldn't help himself and howled as he exploded into Kagome while her walls rippled around him, and she cried out his name. Still trembling, InuYasha finally set Kagome gently on her feet and kissed her then just wrapped his arms around her and held her. The hanyou still could not believe that all of this was real.
 
Kagome finally realized they would probably run out of hot water soon. “InuYasha, Mama wants to take us out, so I guess we had better get cleaned up. Thank you for being so honest with her about everything.”
 
“Keh. She's your mother; she needs to know,” InuYasha responded as he picked up the bottle of soft soap they had knocked to the floor of the shower.
 
“What about the others?” Kagome asked quietly while she soaped up her puff and started to scrub.
 
“What about them? It isn't any of their business what we do,” InuYasha said.
 
“They are going to know something is different, and they are going to want to know what happened,” Kagome responded seriously. “I don't want to go back to fighting with you because we are with them. I am also still a bit angry that they wouldn't help me look for you.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“Let's see what happens when we go back. You know there are some things I don't want them to know,” InuYasha said very quietly.
 
“I know, InuYasha, and they will never hear that from me. Still, they should have agreed to help me instead of making excuses why we should not look for you,” Kagome replied.
 
“But you know they ended up doing us a favor in the long run,” InuYasha responded softly.
 
“What do you mean? We both nearly died and probably would have if it hadn't been for your brother,” Kagome said with a bit of anger.
 
InuYasha kissed Kagome. When he pulled away he said, “I mean this might never have happened, or at least not for some time if they had come with you. We never would have had the time alone that we needed. If it had not been for Sesshomaru, we would never have known that our souls had already bonded. We might never have revealed how we truly feel about each other.”
 
Kagome sighed as she turned the water off. “You're right, but I still want to talk to them when we get back, at least about their behavior. But I promise I will never let them know what really happened to you. We'll just tell them you were tricked and sealed in a cave with no food or water and leave it at that. They never need to know the rest.”
 
InuYasha had Kagome in his arms again, nuzzling the side of her face as he murmured, “Thank you.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Downstairs, Mama heard the howl from the shower. She just smiled and continued sipping her tea. Somehow, she didn't think things would ever quite be the same.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Shippou did not know when he had ever been so embarrassed in his entire life. Suddenly, some of the things that he had done to embarrass InuYasha or any of the others had come back ten-fold. He had heard Kagome say, `What goes around comes around,' but had never really understood it until now.
 
Everyone was gathered around the fire pit in Kaede's hut. In addition to the usual group, there was the very cute girl that traveled with Lord Sesshomaru eating their meal with them. She was very nice, quiet and polite, speaking only when spoken to. Everyone assumed that came from traveling with the great Demon Lord. The adults were hoping she would rub off on Shippou.
 
Therein lay the kitsune's predicament. He always loved showing off to cute girls, trying to impress them with his foxfire or other fox magic. Unfortunately, it was difficult to be cute and entertaining when he was bottomless and sprawled out on his stomach because he could not sit on his little raw behind. He was humiliated, with two very clear strips of fur and hide removed from his butt by the whip of Lord Sesshomaru. On top of that, Kaede had tried rubbing on some ointment that Kagome had left behind that was good for burns or other open wounds, and it was gooped in his fur at the edge of the two bare strips of hide. When he thought he could roll over, he ended up with dirt in the goop. Shippou was trying to eat his bowl of stew while laying on his stomach, and it wasn't easy. It certainly was not impressive. This was not how he would have spent his time with a cute girl in the hut with him.
 
It was probably just as well - no telling what the Demon Lord would have done to Shippou if he thought he had any designs on his ward. He might not understand that the kitsune acted like that with every cute girl the group had come across. Shippou might have been embarrassed, but at least his life wasn't in any immediate danger.
 
To be continued…
 
 
* * ^~^ * *
 
AN: To Inu Hanyou Nikkie: thanks for the long reviews and the request for the red fluffy-butt flailing that just demanded it be written.
 
To kokoro no miko: Thank you for your multiple reviews and for noticing that someone is going to have to drag Shippou kicking and screaming to start to grow up a bit. And thank you for taking time from writing your own great fanfics to read mine.
 
To bluezinthos: Thank you for your multiple reviews, and as you noticed, you hit the nail right square on the head - Shippou was so jealous he endangered the entire pack.
 
Also, thank you to Inufan625 for your encouragement to continue writing these fics. It means a lot coming from someone who understands the characters as well as you do, and has your own outstanding fanfics as well.
 
Again, thank you to each and every one of you that have taken the time to leave a review. It would take another entire chapter to recognize every one of you and tell you how much I appreciate each review, and the readers that took the time to leave one.