InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Visions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary:
 
What if Kagome wasn't really a Higurashi? What if her entire life was a lie intended to protect her from her real life? And what would she do if she found out?
 
Chapter 1: Visions
 
Her eyes snapped open as they darted left and right around her. She was moving, and fast! It was dark, the skies glittered with the thousands of stars.
 
I've never seen so many stars before Kagome thought as she attempted to sit up to look around.
 
Her arms were either pinned to her side, or she was immobilized. Someone was carrying her, bundled in their arms. They were moving fast, she heard the sound of twigs snapping beneath the person's feet as branches were pushed aside. She didn't know nor did she understand how, but she could sense the person's fear and apprehension. The running continued as they entered into a thicker forest, the treetops obstructing the night skies. The person carrying her was getting tired, Kagome could feel it as they began to slow down a bit, and stumble every couple of steps. They were running for their life, and she didn't know why. Kagome opened her mouth to speak, but all that issued forth was a cry.
 
“Shhh, sweetheart please be quiet” a woman's voice pleaded, obviously trying to soothe Kagome.
 
The treetops parted as Kagome assumed they entered into a clearing. The woman stopped running as she slowly stepped forward.
 
“Were you followed?” A deep voice - clearly male, asked the woman.
 
“I'm not sure, but I don't think so.” The woman replied as she hoisted Kagome up so that she could look over her shoulder. Kagome felt a pressure on her back, which she could only assume was the man embracing the woman.
 
“Are you sure about this?” The man whispered into the woman's ear.
 
“No, but do we have any other choice. She'd never be treated right here. She deserves to live freely.” The woman cried as they parted.
 
“You know that she'll be safe there? She's not to know then?” He asked again.
 
“They agreed it would be best if she didn't, and yes they will protect her and raise her.” She replied her tears subsided.
 
Pulling Kagome down from her shoulders, the woman held her as the two looked down into her face. Kagome stared up shocked as she saw the face of a woman - a priestess from what she could infer, standing beside a male youkai. The man held markings on his face, a crescent moon on his forehead and strips on his cheeks. Looking back at the woman, Kagome felt as if she was looking back into her own eyes. Before she could even decipher the situation the couple parted as the woman began to cry again. Holding Kagome out before her, she stifled a sob as she let go, and Kagome felt her fall into an abyss.
 
 
Shooting up in her bed, Kagome gasped. Her hand flew to her chest as the falling sensation subsided. Looking around, she realized she was in her bed and that it was 5:45 in the morning. Falling back onto her pillow with a sigh she covered her face with her hands.
 
“MRMMMMMMMM!” Kagome stifled as she grumbled into her hands. “I have to wake up soon anyway” she declared as she hopped back up and jumped out of bed.
 
Turning behind her she began to make her bed. Finished, she pulled up the bottom of the comforter as she reached between the mattress and box springs. Pulling out a journal she walked over to her desk and pulled out a pen. Flipping through the pages she sighed again as she reached the next open page. Dating her entry she began to jot down the events of her dream.
 
“The same exact dream again.” She mumbled to herself as she flipped through to find the last date she had this dream. “Just two nights ago. They're getting closer together too.” she thought as she entered into a reverie.
 
Her alarm clock blared behind her causing her to jump and scream. Regaining her composure she walked over to the clock and hit the off switch.
 
“No time to dwell on it now.” she declared as she began her normal morning routine.
 
Dawning her usual school uniform she bounded down the stairs, backpack in tow. Reaching the bottom she dropped her backpack beside the stairs as she entered into the kitchen.
 
“Good-Morning everyone” Kagome greeted as she hugged her grandpa, messed up Souta's hair and smiled at Inuyasha before turning to help her mother with the breakfast.
 
While Souta is her younger brother, Inuyasha and her relationship is more than just hard to describe. There he sat, long black hair pulled back into a pony tail and sitting there in his usual black school uniform. The two have known each other as long as they can remember. He's the orphaned son of the Higurashi's closest family friends. Both his parents and Kagome's father died in the same car accident when Inuyasha was just a baby. Inuyasha's family had come to visit the Higurashi's and on the way from the airport their car was hit. Inuyasha survived, but his parents and Kagome's father died on the way to the hospital. Seeing as his only family was the Higurashi's, he's lived with them his whole life.
 
Up until two summer's ago, the duo had never been apart. Inuyasha had received a chance to study his martial arts abroad and was gone the entire summer. Kagome has never forgiven him for leaving and not bringing back any pictures - his film all got destroyed by the heat.
 
Kagome and her mother sat down at the table as the group ate their breakfast in peace. As they finished Kagome, Inuyasha, and Souta headed out to school. At the first fork Souta took off towards his school as Kagome and Inuyasha continued on.
 
“Oye!” Inuyasha said as he waved his hand in front of her face.
 
“Hmm?” Kagome replied as she turned to look at him.
 
“You've been quiet all morning. You're not still mad at me for that Ami misunderstanding are you?” Inuyasha asked concerned as he paused and grabbed her shoulders to make her look at him.
 
“No, I'm fine. It's nothing” She replied with a smile as she shrugged him off and continued walking.
 
“I know you're lying. I've known you long enough to be able to tell.” He called after her, but trailed off as her three closest friends called out from behind them and ran past Inuyasha to her.
 
“Morning Inuyasha!” The three greeted as they flew past.
 
Thank Kami Kagome thought as she more than just appreciated her friends' perfect timing. She could always count on Eri, Yuka and Ayumi to arrive just in time to save her from an awkward conversation with Inuyasha. The girls continued to prattle on about the new clothes and boys and such as one more joined the group.
 
“Morning Tai” Hojo greeted as he walked up beside Inuyasha.
 
“Morning Hojo” he replied grumpily.
 
“Ooo, bad morning already? Don't tell me Higurashi-san is still mad at you about Ami?” Hojo guessed as he smirked at his friend.
 
“I don't know.”
 
“Well if she doesn't forgive you soon, at least keep it up so I'll have a chance” Hojo joked as he nervously laughed at Inuyasha's glare.
 
“Don't even think about it” Inuyasha threatened as the group approached school.
 
The day passed uneventfully until lunch. The bell rang signaling lunch as the class slowly began to pack up and head out. Walking up behind Kagome, Inuyasha gasped as he looked down at her paper. Whipping her head around Kagome stared up at him.
 
“What?!” she asked indignantly as she looked up at him. Seeing as Inuyasha was not even registering her response she followed his line of sight and saw he was looking at her sketch of the faces from her dream. “Okay so I doodle when I get bored, oh no I'm not the perfect student. Sheesh what's your deal?” she asked angrily as she slammed her notebook closed and walked right past him.
 
Remaining in his spot, Inuyasha was lost in thought a moment before her followed her, still in a daze.
 
How the hell could she know their faces? He thought as he walked on, nearly running into everyone on his way. I'll have to talk to gramps and Higurashi-san tonight He thought as he walked on to meet everyone for lunch.