InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Secrets ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank you to all of you who read and reviewed. I try to be more punctual than I have been, so I apologize. Please keep reading and reviewing, I really appreciate the feedback!
 
 
Walking home later that afternoon Kagome was in a complete daze she was so exhausted. She had to stay after on classroom cleaning duties. Grumbling to herself, she kicked a stone on the pathway as she stared up at the shrine steps.
 
“Why did the shrine have to be so high up?” she groaned as she began walking up. And why didn't Inuyasha wait for me today? She thought as she trudged her way up. I know he didn't have cleaning duty today, but he normally waits for me.
 
Pouting at the thought Kagome silently entered into the house. Hearing murmuring from the next room Kagome walked in as she heard Inuyasha speak her voice.
 
“What about me?” she asked as the entire room jumped at her voice. Sitting around the coffee table her mother, grandfather and Inuyasha all looked very nervous at her entrance.
 
“N-nothing. They just wondered where you were.” Inuyasha replied, clearly struggling with the words.
 
“Okay...” Kagome replied as her brows furrowed at his reply. “I'm tired so I am going to take a nap before dinner. Just wake me when it's ready.” she added as she walked away and headed up the stairs.
 
Pausing at the landing, Kagome heard their conversation continue. Curiosity getting the better of her, she tip-toed back down the stairs and crouched along the wall and listened in.
 
“Absurd! There is no way that could be” her grandpa exclaimed at Inuyasha, keeping his voice at a whisper despite his excitement.
 
“I saw it with my own eyes. It was them.” Inuyasha argued back. “I don't know how, but she was drawing her parents today. Uh, her birth parents” he quickly replied, noting the look in Mrs. Higurashi's eyes.
 
“Well did you at least ask her what she was drawing?” her mother asked Inuyasha, clearly interested.
 
“No, I didn't get a chance. She snapped the notebook closed and stormed off.”
 
“There's nothing we can do for now. It could be her powers flaring up. It has happened before when she was younger. Inuyasha I want you to go see Kikyo this weekend and ask her” Kagome's mother finalized as Kagome heard them stand.
 
A small eep escaped her lips as she scurried towards the stairs. Pausing in his moments Inuyasha turned his head towards the doorway as he called out.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Squinting her eyes in frustration, she spun on her heel as she called back. “Yes?”
 
“Kagome, could you come here dear?” Her mother called as she nervously looked from Inuyasha to her father and back again.
 
Kagome entered into the room and sat down beside Inuyasha, and across from her grandfather and mother.
 
“Were you listening in on us Kagome?” Her mother asked rather bluntly.
 
“Yes I was. I want to know what you were talking about, and now!” Kagome demanded as Inuyasha scooted away, sensing her aura pulsing.
 
“What do you want to know?” Gramps asked in reply.
 
“What do you mean my birth parents? What miko powers, I thought you said all mikos died off years ago, and who is Kikyo?” She asked her eyes darting to a different person at each request, finally landing on Inuyasha as her eyes bore a hole in his head.
 
“Well, I can see this is going to be a long conversation.” her mother started as she stood up and walked to the doorway. “Souta!” she called out up the stairs.
 
“Yeah mom?” he yelled back from upstairs.
 
“Can you order pizza for dinner, I'm a little too preoccupied at the moment.”
 
“Sure.”
 
“Thank you honey” she replied as she walked back and sat down. Clearing her throat, she sat up straighter as she began. “Approximately 500 years ago, one of the most powerful priestesses in Japan ventured on a quest in search of a cure for an ailment in her village. Along her journey, she entered into the Western Lands of Japan. Each of the four lands were ruled by a powerful demon lineage at that time, you see.” she stated as Kagome jumped in.
 
“If you are going to tell me that legend of Inu no Taisho again you can save it. I stopped believing in fairy tales a long time ago” Kagome exclaimed, attempting to stand. She was stopped as Inuyasha lashed out his arm and placed a hand on her shoulder.
 
“Inu no Taisho is no fairy tale, if you wish to call him a fake and a fraud then he is a legend.” Inuyasha snarled, taking Kagome by surprise.
 
Sitting back down, she shrank away from Inuyasha as he took up where her mother left off.
 
“While journeying through the western lands the priestess was attacked by a powerful centipede demon. She valiantly fought it off, but her supply of arrows was beginning to deplete before she had even begun to make a dent in the demon's exterior. Relying on her miko abilities she attempted to purify the demon, but not before being entrapped by it's body. The centipede attempted to destroy the miko, but before he could a powerful demon lord from the lands came onto the scene and defeated the centipede. The woman was knocked unconscious by the centipede and was taken to shelter and care by the demon lord. The herb the priestess was after happened to grow within the lord's territory and he took her to the source to help her care for her village. After escorting her back to her village, the two had fallen in love. Unfortunately, a demon mating with a human - especially a priestess, was unheard of and despised.” Inuyasha explained, as his emotions got the better of him and he began to snarl again.
 
Attempting to relieve his anger her mother interrupted again. “Nevertheless, the two could not deny their love and around a year later they had a baby girl. Undoubtedly this baby was one of the most powerful creature ever born - human or demon. The Inu-demons would not hear of it, nor would the humans. As such, they had to send the baby away to protect it and they had to take her far beyond the reach of those who would harm her.” Pausing to regain her composure, her mother gulped as she began. “Using her miko powers, your mother opened a portal from the Feudal era to today using our shrine well. YOU are the daughter of an Inu demon lord and a priestess.”
 
A chuckle escaped Kagome's lips as she took in all the information. Looking around at all their faces, the realization that this was not a joke began to set in. “I'm sorry, I'm WHAT?!”