InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Run ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome lay in her bed, staring up at the ceiling as the events from the night swirled through the mess that is her mind.
 
I'm sorry, I'm What?!” Kagome exclaimed, clearly freaking out.
 
Kagome, you are the daughter of an Inu demon lord and a priestess.” Inuyasha said as he reached over and placed both hands on her shoulders to try to settle her.
 
Okay, so let's say that I believe you and don't think you've all flipped. Why does Inuyasha know and why have you kept this from me for so long?”
 
Well honey,” her mother began, but was halted when Inuyasha held up his hand to stop her.
 
Let me” he simply stated as her mother nodded in understanding. “Kagome, please don't be scared, and please don't freak out.” he whispered to her.
 
Confused, Kagome just looked on in awe as Inuyasha reached up to his necklace - a silver dog in the shape of a crescent moon on a silver chain, unhooking the necklace, he took it off. The necklace shone brightly as it fell limply in his hand. Kagome opened her eyes after the necklace calmed down and gasped at the figure sitting before her. Inuyasha's hair was silver, pointed ears perched on his head, fangs, and claws.
 
Wha-what is this?” Kagome asked calmly.
 
Kags, it's me. It's still me.” Inuyasha replied looking in her eyes as he reached out his hand to grasp hers. Hurt was evident in his eyes as Kagome flinched at the touch. Pulling back his hand the two avoided eye contact as Inuyasha explained. “I know because I'm half-demon, half-human. Unlike you, I don't have a priestess side to subdue my demon side. I have heightened senses, strength, healing and speed. I had to learn how to control these. You have them all as well, but your priestess training your gramps has been giving you since you were little has controlled them. I had to learn - learn to fight, to defend myself and that's where I really went last summer.”
 
How long have you known?” She asked, not looking at anyone in the room.
 
Since we were four.” he whispered. “whenever you went away for the weekend when we were little, every camp you went to that I couldn't go to, I went back. I went to learn to control my demon side.”
 
And what about me?! You got to meet your parents, you got to see the world we belong in, and you got to learn from those who should teach you! Why have I been hidden away here?! Why was I never told?!” She exclaimed, jumping up from the couch to face them all at once.
 
They asked us not to, not until the time was right” her mother replied.
 
Who did?”
 
Your parents. Not until you began asking about them were we to tell you. They knew you'd return to them eventually, but not until you were ready, physically and mentally. Not until your miko powers were strong enough to protect you.”
 
How can they protect me when I don't even know who I am?” she whispered as she spun on her foot and ran out of the room, tears brimming from her eyes.
 
A knock on her door jarred Kagome out of her thoughts.
 
“Kagome, can I come in?” Inuyasha's voice called through the door.
 
“Go away!” Kagome yelled back
 
“Kagome please.” Inuyasha begged as Kagome sat up, swung her feet over the bed and walked over to open the door.
 
Turning the knob she lightly pulled the door open as she immediately spun on her heels and walked back over to her bed. Crossing her arms, she leaned back and stared at Inuyasha as he entered.
 
“Kagome, I wasn't trying to deceive you. I was told long ago that we had to wait, but now that you know we can go back sometime soon. I have to go back first and let them all know so they are all there for you, but soon.”
 
“Whatever.” Kagome replied nonchalantly. “Just please, leave me a lone.” she asked as she laid down on the bed and turned her back to him.
 
“I understand you're angry, but please forgive me someday.” he whispered as he walked forward and kissed the top of her head before walking out, closing the door behind him.
 
Once he was gone, Kagome continued to get lost in her thoughts until she heard everyone head off to bed. Standing she grabbed her yellow backpack and began to throw clothes and things into it. Turning her head to listen out her door again, she opened her window and hopped out onto the roof and into the tree.
 
Thank Kami for all those years of self defense training from Gramps Kagome thought as she stared up at what she just did. Running off towards the well house she entered and closed the door behind her.
 
If they expect me to sit here and wait until they're ready to let me meet my life head on, they're out of their minds. She thought as she stared down into the depths of the well. Maybe I'm the one out of my mind.
 
Sitting on the lip of the well, Kagome closed her eyes as she pushed herself off. She nearly screamed as she felt herself falling, then instantly she felt like she was floating. Opening her her eyes, she was engulfed by a bright pink light and was transported back to the feudal era.
 
As the bright light flashed through the well doors, Inuyasha stood in Kagome's room looking out the window.
 
I should have known she do this. I've got to go protect her! He thought as he ran to his room to grab his Tetsaiga before pursuing her.
 
The lights faded away as Kagome stood at the bottom of the well and stared up to see the night sky, glittered with stars.
 
I'm definitely not at the shrine anymore she thought as she grabbed on to the vines and began to climb her way out.
 
Taking in her surroundings, she found herself standing in the clearing in a forest. Seeing smoke off in the distance, she decided it must be civilization and headed towards it, unknown to her that a pair of eyes watched her movements from the forest.
 
Walking on through the woods the hairs on the back of her neck began to stand on end as her pursuer began to catch up to her. Closing her eyes, she relied upon the skills gramps had taught her to listen for her predator. As she heard a twig snap behind her, the creature leaped out at her. Spinning on her heel she turned around holding her hands out as a forcefield erupted from her hands stopping the creature in its tracks.
 
“Inuyasha what are you doing?!” she screamed as she saw the figure, now plastered to the forcefield.
 
“Protecting you! Turn around!” he yelled as she let down the forcefield and spun around to come face to face with a nest of centipede demons. “Kagome run!” Inuyasha screamed as he jumped between the demons and her.
 
“I can't just leave you here!” she screamed as demon after demon lunged at Inuyasha and he barely deflected each blow.
 
“I promised both of your families I would protect you. Now go!” he screamed as the demon caught him off guard and he flew back against the tree.
 
The demons began to circle in on him, seemingly forgetting Kagome was standing there. As the demons got close to Inuyasha, the leader prepared to strike.
 
“INUYASHA!” Kagome screamed as she reached out towards him. A bright light exploded out as a whip of pure energy formed from the tips of Kagome's right index and middle finger nails.
 
The whip lashed out and wrapped itself around the centipede leader. Gaining the confidence she needed and getting over the initial shock at the appearance of her “weapon”, Kagome threw her arm to the side as the demon flew back and slammed into a tree, a burst of energy flowing from her fingers to the demon, purifying it instantly. Seeing their leader killed the rest of the demons rushed towards her. Realizing she could not destroy them all, Kagome's confidence dissipated immediately Erecting her forcefield again, the centipede demons lunged at her. One by one the demons crashed into her shield, and one by one they were purified by contact with the shield.
 
Opening her eyes, Kagome saw Inuyasha standing back away from her slightly afraid of her.
 
“Inuyasha?” she asked as she let her shield down and stood up.
 
“H-how did you do all that?” he asked, still in shock.
 
“I don't know, it just happened. What did I do to them?!”
 
“You purified them, but with your protective shield and with a whip like the one my brother uses, but yours is pure whereas his is poison.”
 
“Your brother?”
 
“uh yeah, he's a powerful full demon so he's my half-brother. But only really powerful Inu-demons have attacks like that, powerful full demons.” he mumbled as he continued to stare at her.
 
“It's her miko side.” A voice called from the shadows.
 
“Who's there!?” Kagome called as she raised her hands in defense.
 
“It's okay Kagome.” Inuyasha called as he sniffed the air. “Kikyo, come out.”
 
“So you're the bastard child” she snarled as Kikyo stepped out of the shadows, arrow notched in her bow pointed at Kagome.
 
“Kikyo, stop!” Inuyasha called as he ran forward.
 
“She's a loose cannon. She shouldn't have even been kept alive!” she screamed as she released her arrow.
 
The arrow flew straight at Kagome as it was encased in Kikyo's miko powers. The shot seemed to move in slow motion as it flew towards Kagome and as Inuyasha's heart stopped.