InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love Handouts ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!
 
A/N: Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.
 
 
 
 
Love Handouts
 
Chapter 19
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
His fingers were gently placed around her chin, holding her to him. They were just the right length away that they could reach out and embrace each other, but also far enough away that their bodies weren't touching.
 
His lips felt right against her own. They weren't perfect as she always thought they would be. They were smooth, but also a little chapped in areas.
 
They were soft. Soft and warm, and as much as she wanted to, she couldn't get her body to respond to this delightful action.
 
She was there. It was true, but in a sense, she wasn't there either. She couldn't be. InuYasha, was kissing her? It had to be a dream - a dream where she didn't divulge in it, a dream where, instead of closing her eyes and reveling in the feel, she stared straight ahead at him, trying to figure out if it was real.
 
These actions were so not like InuYasha. He wasn't forward or outspoken. He wasn't experienced or mature with his feelings. This just wasn't the man she knew, but at the same time, the gentleness he used with his fingers; the featherlike touch of his lips felt right to her. If InuYasha ever did kiss her, this is what it would feel like. It wouldn't be forced or demanding. It wouldn't be needy or without hesitancy, and with that knowledge at the forefront, she kissed him back.
 
It didn't matter how un-InuYasha this one action was, what mattered was that it was InuYasha. InuYasha was kissing her. InuYasha was pouring his heart out to her. InuYasha wanted to be with her. InuYasha -
 
He loved her.
 
She could see it clearly now. In the simple things he did, passed the cold shoulders or the Kikyo chasing. She could finally see that he truly did care about her.
 
The cold shoulders were just his way of distancing himself from her. When he didn't understand something, or he thought that he would be better off without her, he would distance himself. No talking. No looking. Fighting, when they did talk. She was an anomaly to him. She didn't make sense - a human girl, who openly and freely loved a hanyou like it wasn't a big deal… when all his life, no one accepted him except his own mother. His brother trying to ripe off his existence since the beginning, and his father was no longer alive. The only family that he could rely on was either dead, or trying to kill him.
 
Humans weren't much different. They made fun of him, told him he didn't belong, said that he would be better off dead.
 
Neither accepted him.
 
She thought of his mother. She was beautiful. That faceless demon took her form back in their early days. InuYasha truly thought it was her, but it was really only Sesshomaru out to get Tessaiga… like always, but she remembered how happy he was at the thought of seeing her again, and how crushed and hurt he looked when it was only Sesshomaru playing a trick on him, but even though the unmother had no relation to InuYasha, she gave her life for him anyway. The way a true mother would.
 
At the beginning, when he saw Kikyo's shinigami, he didn't hesitate to go, but the past year or so, before he would go, he would always look straight at her. He wanted to get her approval. He didn't want her to be upset with him if he actually did leave, and like a baka, she would let him go, and then get mad at him for it. How forgiving was she?
 
Tears started to gather around her eyes. She would like to think that she is the one who turned his life around. She would like to think that she helped them all in some way, but the truth was that if she never came back here, she would have missed some of the biggest lessons of her life.
 
InuYasha pulled away from her. She slowly opened her eyes to see him looking hesitantly at her. It only showed Kagome how much more of a man he truly was.
 
“Kagome,” he asked slowly.
 
He didn't want to think he did something wrong, that maybe the kiss upset her. Maybe she really didn't want him anymore. Maybe it was all over.
 
His ears fell against his head, “I'm sorry.”
 
He couldn't take it anymore. He had to get away. He had to -
 
Kagome rushed at him, wrapping her small frame around his body. He caught a whiff of her tears, and he was more confused than ever.
 
“Oh InuYasha,” she was crying into his haori. “You didn't do anything wrong. You deserve happiness just like everyone else. Don't forget that,” she told him in between her sniffles.
 
InuYasha was taken aback. Where was this coming from?
 
He was happy.
 
Happy wouldn't even cut it; he was joyful like he's never been before, and it was all because of this sniffling girl in his arms.
 
He looked down at the crying girl. He put his hand behind her head and brought her closer to him as he leaned down to whisper in her ear, “I am happy, wench.”
 
Such a simple statement, but the truth nonetheless.
 
Kagome felt more tears tickle her eyes, but she couldn't help the small laugh that escaped her throat as she whispered back, “I'm happy too.”
 
InuYasha felt his heart soar. She wasn't resisting him. She wasn't regretting loving him. She was embracing the opposite. The fact that she loved him and he loved her as well, but there was still something that didn't make sense. “Then…why are you crying?”
 
She could hear the concern in his voice. He didn't understand, but at times like this, neither did she. She waited a moment to answer him. Now that everything was there, all facts were out in the open, she was just enjoying the feel of this embrace. Yes, they might have just shared one of the best kisses she's ever had, but she felt closer to him now then she's ever felt to him before. Nothing was left in the dark, she knew how he felt, and things could move forward. Their life, one she's dreamed of, could finally happen with the hanyou of said dreams.
 
Life was good.
 
“Nothing and everything - the fact that I love you and you want to be with me, and the fact that you're too good of a man for me,” she paused for just a moment in her speech as she heard him disagree with that statement but brushed it off. There was one more thing to say, and it covered the truth in every sense of the word, “My life just wouldn't have been the same without you.”
 
She pulled away from him then, tear faced and all, and looked over him. She hated how she over reacted to every little thing, or how she never truly relied on her heart. She always knew this would happen, but at times, she wished it wouldn't have been so hard, wouldn't have been so sacrificing, but at the same time, if they didn't go down this road - if she didn't follow her heart, if she didn't react to every little thing…
 
If, if, if!
 
There was always the if.
 
If changes things.
 
But, if they had done things differently, if they had not had the struggles, if they didn't over-react to things, they might not be were they were today, right now, at this second.
 
She looked into his eyes. Still uncertain after everything, after all she's told him. She couldn't help the small smile that crossed her face, `I guess some things won't ever change.'
 
She leaned up slowly, barely having to move at all and placed her lips to his. She saw his eyes widen briefly and knew that he felt the exact same way she did earlier, but she also knew… that he would come to the same conclusion.
 
Yes, some things will never change.
 
*
*
*
*
*
 
 
A/N: Well that's it! All that's left is the epilogue! It's been an amazing journey, my first complete multi chapter story!!!!
 
Anyways, please review, and thank you so much for going through this journey with me.