InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Believe Me ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Sigh…now the sad chapter, even if it is a little short.
DM Jade; I mean I'll explain the first chapter around chapter 15 or so. Sorry everyone, but it's a while off. This story will be around 25 chapters.
Erik's Siren; yeah, sorry. It's just my style of writing.
Chapter 9
Believe
“I feel so degraded.” Kouga growled, looking down at the beads. Night had come, and everyone, minus the still absent Sango and Miroku, who were expected back tomorrow, were in Kaede's hut.
“Get used to it wolf. She likes using them a lot.” Inuyasha whispered. Kouga smirked.
“I didn't know you could be degraded anymore mutt.” Kouga snickered.
“Down.” Kagome said. Kouga, in a rather painful-looking way, was slammed down spread eagle from a cross legged position.
“You better take these off soon.' He muttered. Shippo giggled.
“That's almost as funny as sitting Inuyasha.” He laughed. Kagome looked at the hanyou. She had made ramen for him, which had gone on to Kouga when he had refused to eat. When he had come back from the well, he jumped into the branches of Goshinboku until nightfall. Then he had come into Kaede's hut, and sat down. He had barely spoken.
She had actually sat Kouga on the way to the hut, right in front of Inuyasha. She had hoped that the sight of the wolf getting sat, or `downed' as it were, would cheer him up. It had actually had the opposite effect. If anything, he had gotten even more sad and distant. When Kagome looked to see his reaction, he was looking at her and wolf with an empty look, before looking away.
“I'm glad to see you find this funny kit.” Kouga growled, getting up. “Remember that next time you want me to teach you to hunt.”
“If you won't teach me then Inuyasha will, right Inuyasha” the kitsune squealed, jumping in the hanyou's lap.
“I don't think so kid. Kouga can teach you better.” he muttered. Kagome's jaw dropped. Had he just said he was inferior to Kouga?
“Glad to see that the mutt recognizes the better man.” Kouga snickered. A quick word sent him down again.
“If ye continue to antagonize Kagome wolf, I will need to have the floor of my hut changed to dirt.” Kaede murmured. Kouga rolled his eyes.
“Well you should have thought of that before you made the beads, huh?” he growled, lifting his head. Kagome opened her mouth, and Kouga gulped and put his head down again.
“Take my advice Kouga, learn to hold your tongue.” Inuyasha muttered. Kouga actually caught on this time, and didn't snap back with the reply that came mind. He shut his mouth and sat back.
“Kagome, can I have another cup of ramen?” he asked. Kagome shrugged and rifled around in her backpack. Inuyasha sighed and got to his feet.
“Kagome, can I speak to you outside?” he said quietly. Kagome froze, amazed at his question. He wanted to speak. To her. Alone. She slowly nodded, and immediately heard Kouga growl.
“I said I don't want you around Kagome!” he snarled.
“Kouga, let him be. I'll be fine.” She said. “Let's go.” She stood up and walked outside. Inuyasha stood up, but looked at Kouga before he left.
“Think whatever you want, I won't hurt her.” He said solemnly. Kouga didn't respond, he just glared. Inuyasha turned and followed Kagome.
The miko was just slowly walking through the forest surrounding the village, looking down. She stopped a fair distance away and turned to watch Inuyasha walk up to her. He stopped at arms length away and looked his feet.
“Did Kaede make the beads for Kouga?” he asked. Kagome shivered and folded her arms.
“Yeah. I said he was coming with us, so I suggested it to keep him in line with you. You two do insult each other a lot.” She replied. `At least, you two did. He's been doing all the insults lately.'
“Well I provoke him a lot, it's expected.” Inuyasha said. He took a breath, and Kagome braced herself. An angry outburst, a tearful apology, Kagome was expecting a lot of reactions. “Kagome…did you really mean what you said in your house?” he asked. Kagome bit her lip.
“Which part?”
“The part where you said I…did that.” Inuyasha's voice was getting choked. Kagome felt a new onslaught of tears that came up.
“Inuyasha, you did. I saw you. You kissed me and you…touched me. Kouga and I both saw you. It was you, I know it was.” She whispered. The next reaction was one she wasn't expecting. Inuyasha flung his arms around her and drew her into a tight hug. Kagome gasped. Normally, she would have blushed and hugged back. But after what had happened…she stiffened and let him. She didn't hug back, but if she pushed him away now…he buried his head in the crook of her neck.
“Kagome, I didn't!” he pleaded. “I don't know what you saw, felt, or whatever, but I swear to god, I didn't!” Kagome closed her eyes and felt the tears begin to fall. I saw you…I saw you, she thought, she tightened her grip.
“Inuyasha…you don't know how I felt. You wouldn't let me go, and you just kept going…if Kouga hadn't come…you don't know how helpless I felt.”
“Kagome, I'm sorry for letting that happen, I'm sorry I could be the one to save you, but by god, believe me when I say that I would never, and have never done anything to hurt you!” he whispered. Kagome sighed.
“Let me go.” She moaned. Inuyasha withdrew his arms and stepped back.
“Kagome, I didn't.” he murmured, reaching to cup her cheek. Kagome reach up and pulled his hand away.
“Don't touch me.” She whispered. Inuyasha reached for her again.
“Kagome…” he begged. His hand touched her cheek, and Kagome lashed out and backhanded him in the face. Inuyasha's head snapped back, and his hand froze millimeters from her face.
“Don't touch me!” she wailed, tears streaming from her face. She pushed past him and ran into Kaede's hut. Inuyasha's shoulders slumped, and he turned to watch her run.