InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Challenge ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Veata; alright, but if you get struck twice, come inside.
Chapter 12
Challenge
Kagome groaned and rolled over. She sniffed, and grimaced as her eyes fluttered open. Kouga was at the door of the room, sniffing and growling. Kagome was full awake now, and sat up, rubbing her eyes.
“Kouga, what's going on?” she asked. Kouga's shoulders hunched down.
“Fire.” He muttered. He leapt out of the inn and dashed across the village. Kagome got up and shook Sango awake.
“Sango, wake up, there's a fire.” She whispered. Sango turned over and opened her eyes.
“Wha…?”
“Kouga smelt a fire, he ran off. I'm going to try and find him, get Miroku.” And with that, Kagome ran into the village to find Kouga. Some distant part of her mind noted that Inuyasha still hadn't returned.
The flaming house wasn't hard to find. The looming flames were rather noticeable against the black sky. It was the headmaster's hut, and as such, was larger then most of the huts in the village. A crowd had gathered outside the entrance. Kagome ran up to one of the villagers.
“Excuse me, have you seen a wolf youkai near the house?” she pleaded. The villager nodded.
“Yes, he just ran inside. The headmaster is still there.” He told her. Kagome gasped.
“Oh no, Kouga.” She whispered. Sango and Miroku ran up behind her.
“Kagome, where's Kouga?” Miroku asked.
“He ran inside to rescue the headmaster. Where's Inuyasha, did you find him?” Sango shook her head.
“No, he isn't around.” She told her. Kagome sighed. Then, Kouga ran out of the house, smoking and carrying a limp old man over his shoulder. He stopped and placed the man on the ground. The man sputtered and coughed.
“My…daughter.” He wheezed. Kouga nodded.
“Is she still inside?” he asked. The man nodded, and Kouga ran back in.
Kouga stopped as a falling beam cut his path. He cursed and pushed further into the hut.
“Hello?” he yelled into the hut. Then, a small scream cut the air. He followed the source to a small room. He pushed inside and found a small body. He turned the body over to find the throat slashed.
“Ah, poor little wolf. Too little too late.” A voice mocked. Kouga's head snapped up.
“Who's there?” he snarled.
“Tsk tsk tsk. Foolish wolf, did you forget me so soon? I'm hurt, I really am.” Kouga spun around as Kagemusha lifted his head. With his red hair and kimono, the flames had hidden him perfectly, as well as the smell of Naraku that he carried.
“Kagemusha. You're doing this?” Kouga snapped. Kagemusha sighed.
“And you and the hanyou have held back my master for so long? It's a wonder you're still alive. Is there another that could create a blaze as lovely as this?” Kagemusha spread his arms to the burning house.
“What do you want this time?” Kouga demanded.
“You're so ignorant it astounds me wolf. I want the jewel shards.”
“You got them last time.”
“In case you've forgotten, the miko is not the only one with jewel shards.” Kagemusha laughed. Kouga gasped, and his eyes darted down to his legs. “Now, there are two ways we can do this wolf. You can hand them over, and I can leave without taking another life this evening. Or we can do this the fun way, where I dig them out through your throat.” Kagemusha sneered. Kouga snarled and kicked Kagemusha across the face. The incarnation spun and fell on the floor. Kagemusha sputtered, lifted his head, and grinned sadistically.
“Alright then. You choose the fun way.” He muttered. Kouga leapt and aimed his knee at the back of Kagemusha's head. Kagemusha rolled and fired his flame. The jet raced past Kouga's knee and hit his bandaged chest. Kouga howled as the flame ate away the bandages and reopened his wounds. He hit with a thud, and lay on his chest, writhing in pain. Then Kagemusha slammed his heel into Kouga's throat.
“Even you should be smart enough to know what's next, wolf.” He leered. He lifted his hand and summoned another fireball. Kagemusha snorted and flung the flame. Kouga reacted instantly, and actually punched the fireball. The projectile went back and slammed into Kagemusha's face. He cried in pain and stumbled back. Kouga jumped up and gave him another kick, knocking him face-first into the wall. Kagemusha groaned and turned around as the two began to circle each other. Kagemusha's hair had looked like flame before, but now with the ends singed and a few strands still smoldering orange, it looked even more so.
“I really was trying to cut you a break.” He said to Kouga. “Master Naraku ordered me to bring him your head, you know. I really was going to let you live, and just take back the jewel shards. But now.” Kagemusha rubbed his jaw tenderly. “You've pissed me off.” His hands lit up in flame, and Kagemusha leapt at Kouga with a whirlwind of firey claws.
Kouga rolled away and punched Kagemusha in the side. Without even batting an eye, Kagemusha spun and fired a jet of flame at Kouga. The flame missed by an inch as Kouga ducked and slammed into Kagemusha's chin with a fierce uppercut. Kagemusha snarled and slashed. Kouga caught his claws and dug in as he flung Kagemusha across the room. Kagemusha hit the wall, slammed through, and lay sprawled in the headmaster's room. He stood up, turned, and growled.
“Do you really think you can win this fight?” he snarled. “You're in my element now, wolf!” Kagemusha slammed his fist into the ground, and a ring of flame leapt up around Kouga. The wolf cried out as the flames licked at his heel. Kagemusha snickered and summoned another fireball.
“Let's see you avoid this.” He laughed. He flung out his hand and shot the fireball at Kouga. “Doragon Bi!” he roared. The flame hurled itself at Kouga, twisted to form a flaming dragon head. Kouga gasped as the fireball zoomed at him. Then, it hit the air a few inches form his face, and exploded.
“Wha…?” he asked. Kagemusha growled and flung another fireball. It too disappeared inches from Kouga.
“You'll have to go through me!” a voice shouted. Kouga spun and gasped.
“Kagome!” he called out. The miko was standing in the doorway, her hands raised, glowing a soft pink. Kagemusha sneered.
“Oh good, I can roast two birds with one stone.” He yelled, firing another fireball.
“Kagome!” Kouga dashed through the flames and pushed Kagome to the ground as the flame hit him square in the back. Kouga fell on top of Kagome and went limp. Kagome groaned and rolled out from under him. Then, the roof started to shake. Kagemusha looked up and snorted.
“The wolf can keep his shards for now, but next time, I'll settle for nothing less then his blood!” he shouted at Kagome. His body wrapped itself in fire, and Kagemusha blasted through the roof into the night. Kagome watched him go, and looked down at Kouga. She grabbed his chin and jerked his head around.
“Kouga, wake up.” She pleaded. She slapped the wolf gently. “Come on, we have to go now!” she put his arm over her shoulders and tried to stand. But the youkai was dead weight, and Kagome fell down.
“Like you could lift him yourself.” A voice said. Kagome looked up and gasped in relief.
“Inuyasha, thank god. You've got to help him, he can't move, and I think the house is falling.” The hanyou snorted and picked up Kouga by the back of the neck.
“I'm getting tired of saving this wolf's scrawny ass.” He muttered. He slashed a hole in the wall, grabbed Kagome by the waist, and leapt through. He dumped Kouga on the ground and let Kagome go as she ran to his side. Kagome looked around. They were on the other side of the house, the crowd was on the other side.
“Inuyasha, I know you and Kouga hate each other, but thank you.” Kagome said. She looked up and was met with a dark look. She gulped and took a step back. “Inuyasha?” she asked. At the mention of his name, Inuyasha bared his fangs and pushed her to the ground. One hand grabbed her neck, the other covered her mouth as his eyes bored into hers.
“Do you really think your little wolf cub can protect you forever?” he hissed. “I swear to god you traitorous little bitch, the next time he's out, I'm coming for you.” Inuyasha stood, still holding Kagome, and threw her onto Kouga's chest. She looked over her shoulder, but Inuyasha was already gone.
Dorgon Bi; Dragon Fire