InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Mark ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
And as the critical chapter of explanations nears, the plot thickens, and the reviewers (cough, Dreammistress Jade, cough) grow hostile!
Chapter 13
Mark
Early the next morning, the gang was back on the road. Kagome was leading the way, followed by Kouga with a freshly bandaged chest. Behind them were Miroku and Sango with Kilala. Bringing up the rear was Inuyasha, who had opted to believe Kagome's threat that she would spend an entire day sitting him if he came near her.
“I was almost starting to believe him.” Kagome thought bitterly. To say she was angry was an understatement. Inuyasha had come back at dawn, asking what had happened with the headmaster's hut. He had been answered with a dozen sits. Kagome had then told him to not bother talking to her that day, lest he be sat for the rest of the day. Of course, this hadn't gone unnoticed by the rest of the group, but no one had asked why Kagome was so hostile. And Kagome hadn't told anyone about the incident behind the headmaster's house, not even Kouga.
“It's mid day, we'll rest here.” Kouga announced. Everyone sat down and breathed easy. The sun had been hotter then usual, and the journey had been difficult. Inuyasha leapt up into the shade of a tree and lowered his head. Kagome slung off her backpack and pulled out the food she had packed.
“So Kagome, why so mean to the mutt today? Not that I'm complaining.” Kouga chuckled. Kagome gave the mentioned hanyou a dark look.
“Kouga, can I talk to you alone for a minute?” she replied. Kouga shrugged.
“Sure I guess.” He said, walking into the forest.
“Sango, do me a favor and make Inuyasha stays here.” Kagome said over her shoulder. Sango shrugged.
“Sure.” She said, puzzled. Kagome followed Kouga and looked back at the camp.
“Do you think we're close enough for Inuyasha to hear us?” she asked Kouga. Kouga frowned.
“I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Why?” he asked. Kagome took a breath.
“Kouga, when you asked me if I'd be your mate…how does that work?” Kouga cocked his head.
“What do you mean Kagome?”
“How do youkai mate?” Kagome said. Kouga blushed and rubbed the back of his neck.
“Um, Kagome, I'm not sure if you'd want me to explain that…” he said. Kagome caught his meaning, and matched his blushed.
“Oh. So if I became your mate, we'd have to…do that?” she asked. Kouga rapidly shook his head.
“Oh no, we don't need to yet, if you aren't ready. There's several different types of mates and claims.” He explained.
“What types of claims?”
“Well there's a scent claim, where I'd just imprint my smell on you to let other youkai know you're my intended. Then there's the marking, then there's the actual…mating.” Kouga replied.
“What's the difference between the claims?” Kagome persisted.
“Well youkai make scent claims all the time. The mutt actually had one on you when we met, but it's started to fade since after what happened.” Kouga said. Kagome nodded as she absorbed the information. Before, she would have loved the idea of Inuyasha claiming her, even in such a minor way. But after that incident in the cave, the idea of being his mate was almost scary if he was going to be like that to her.
“Youkai makes scent claims all the time.” Kouga continued. “Some make several scent claims on more then one female until they choose one of them to mark. Marking is when I bite you on the neck to make a bruise. It imprints my scent onto like a scent claim, but it doesn't heal as easily as normal bruises.”
“Can any of the claims be broken?” Kagome asked. Kouga shrugged.
“Well sure. Scent claims are broken all the time, since they're so easily made. Marking is more serious, but it can be broken by rejecting the marker's claim, in which case the bruise heals over time. Or another youkai can challenge the marker for the right to claim the marked female, or just mate with the female without fighting at all. If youkai actually mate, it can't be broken until one of them dies. I don't get it Kagome, why are you asking me all this?” Kagome sighed and sat down on a fallen log.
“Remember how I told you Inuyasha pulled us out of the house last night?” she whispered. Kouga nodded. “That's not all. He forced me to the ground, and said that the next time you weren't there, he'd take me.” The second the words were out of her mouth, Kouga was wide eyed and snarling. “Kouga, sit down.” Kagome said. Kouga gawked and slammed into the dirt.
“Sit down?” he roared, craning his head up. “Dammit Kagome, how do you expect to tell me something like that and expect me to be calm?”
“Inuyasha's going to hear you, alright? At least lower your voice.” She answered. Kouga sighed and pulled her up into a tight embrace.
“I'm sorry Kagome.” He whimpered. “I should have been able to beat Kagemusha on my own, I should have been awake to protect you from him. I'm so sorry.” Kagome nodded and started to hug him back.
“Kouga, do you remember what you asked me?” she said. Kouga pulled back and shook his head.
“Um…no.” he admitted. Kagome smirked. Kouga was sweet, but he was so dense sometimes. It almost reminded her of Hojo.
“In your cave when you rescued me, you asked me to be your mate.” Kagome reminded. “Yes.” Kouga nodded.
“Oh yeah, I did ask you that…wait what?” he did a double take. “Did you just say yes?” Kagome nodded.
“You've taken care of me and shown me kindness as long as I've known you.” Kagome said. “I did love Inuyasha at a time, but I can't be with someone who treats me like. I've made my choice Kouga.” Kouga pulled her back into a hug as he kissed her temple.
“I'm honored to be your chosen, Kagome.” He whispered. “Um, you said that you didn't want me to claim you yet? Because if you're not ready, what with all that's happened, and you being from a different time, and…”
“Not yet Kouga.” Kagome said. “We still have to deal with my time, not to mention Naraku. In my time, I'm still to young to be married, or claimed. I want to wait.” Kouga nodded.
“Alright, we'll take care of Naraku first. But can I at least scent claim you?” he asked. Kagome stepped back and pulled down the collar of her blouse.
“Mark me.” She whispered. “I don't want Inuyasha to hurt me anymore.” Kouga nodded slowly.
“Kagome, are you sure? If we do this, Inuyasha might kill me to have you.”
“He won't. I won't let him hurt either of us.” Kagome said firmly. “I don't want you to kill him, but if he does challenge you…do what you have to do.” Kouga hugged her at arms length, and lowered his head to her shoulder.
“Um, you might want to hold onto me Kagome.” He said tenderly. “I've never done this before, but it's probably going to hurt.”
“You've never claimed anyone before?” Kagome asked, putting her hands on his shoulders. Kouga smiled and shook his head.
“No Kagome. There's only ever been you.” He said.
“There's only ever been me…Inuyasha could never say that.” Kagome thought. She closed her eyes, bit her lip, and tightened her grip on Kouga's shoulders as his fangs pierced her flesh.
No, I haven't forgotten about Ayame! But Kouga claims he doesn't remember her.