InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ The Hot Spring ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Chapter 14
The Hot Spring
“We'll camp out here.” Kouga announced. He looked to his side and grinned at Kagome. “I smell a hot spring nearby. You and Sango can wash up if you want.” He offered. Kagome smiled back at him.
“Thanks Kouga. Hey Sango, want to go?” she called to her friend. Sango nodded and jumped off Kilala.
“Sure, provided Kouga keeps an eye on the houshi.” She replied, looking pointedly at Miroku.
“Not a problem.” Kouga assured her. Then he sniffed and growled. He looked over Sango's shoulder as Inuyasha vanished into the forest. “Where's the mutt going?” he snarled. Kagome watched the hanyou walk away, and shrugged. He was probably going off to brood. He had been doing that a lot recently, only to come back as a lustful monster. She shuddered as she remembered the events of last night.
“Sango, I am deeply offended by your implications.” Miroku moaned. “What would Kouga need to keep an eye on me for?”
“To make sure you don't try and spy on us!” Sango snapped. Miroku faked a pout.
“I do not see why you and Kagome must constantly yell at me. I am merely showing my affection for the human body.” He emphasized his point as his hand found it's favorite spot of Sango's backside. Sango replied by having Hiraikotsu find it's favorite spot on the back of his head. Sango stomped into the woods, followed by Kagome. Shippo hopped onto Miroku's back and poked the bruise on his skull.
“Is it really worth the trouble?” he asked the fallen houshi. Miroku groaned.
- - - - - - - - - - -
“I've really missed this.” Kagome sighed, sinking into the warm water. Sango nodded.
“But I thought you said that your time has hot water like this all the time.” She pointed out.
“Yeah, but one thing my bathroom doesn't have is all this.” Kagome said, gesturing to the trees and rocks. “This is natural.” Sango sighed in agreement.
“So, care to explain?” she asked.
“Explain what?” Kagome said. Sango raised an eyebrow and discreetly pointed at Kouga's mark. The bleeding had stopped and crusted over. Kouga said that over the course of a few weeks, the bruising would fade to leave a simple redish scar.
“I am a taijya, Kagome. I do know a few things about youkai, like what that is. So what's going on? Miroku and I leave for a few days, we come back to find Inuyasha moping, and Kouga marking you as his mate. What's up?” Kagome sighed as Sango mentioned the mark. That, coupled with the attempted rape, was going to confuse the hell out of her friends. The marking had already made the second part of the day edgy. Mostly because Inuyasha and Shippo, being youkai, even if Shippo was just a child, knew exactly what the mark was. And with Sango knowing, she had no doubt that Miroku had been told too.
“It's long story Sango. The day I left for the well, Inuyasha came to me.”
“Yeah, I know.” Sango said. “He ran off to you shortly after you left. We were wondering where he was going.” Kagome nodded.
“He knocked me out, and took me to a cave.” Her voice had dropped to a whisper as Sango leaned closer. He eyes were confused as Kagome mentioned Inuyasha hitting her. “And he…Kagome's chin began to quiver. “He touched me.”
“Touched you? Kagome…”
“Kouga came, and took me away.” Kagome's words were choked with sobs now as tears fell once again from her face. “If he hadn't come…”
“Do you really think Inuyasha would do that?” Sango asked. Kagome wiped her face with the back of her hand.
“For a while he denied it, he said he was sorry and that he didn't do anything. I was starting to think that maybe he had been under a spell or something else. But then, the night of the fire in the last village, he took me and Kouga from the fire, and said that he's take me once Kouga wasn't around.” She explained. Sango sat back for a moment and digested this new information.
“So you don't love him anymore?” she asked.
“I don't know.” Kagome sighed. The tears had stopped, but her face was still red and puffy from crying. “I used to, but…how can you love a man who would o something like that? How am I supposed to love a man that would rape me?”
“I don't know.” Sango admitted. “So does this mean you love Kouga now?” Kagome thought for a minute. Kouga hadn't once insulted her. He always complimented her, and had her right beside him as they walked, like an equal. Even just a few minutes ago, he had offered Kagome the chance for a hot bath, where as Inuyasha always complained about her bathing.
“I'm not sure.” Kagome replied. “He's a good friend, I know that.”
“The last time I checked Kagome, youkai don't mate for life with good friends.” Sango reminded her.
“I know.” Kagome muttered. “I know what he wants from me now, and what he's going to want in the future, and I'm not even sure I could give it to him. I still feel weird about it. He's always been just a friend to me that's been suborn to take a hint.” Kagome's thoughts drifted to Hojo, the naïve boy who was always bringing her herb and such to help her overcome her sickness of the month.
“I've seen him in a whole new way these last few days. I'm not sure if I love him, but…maybe I'm starting to.” Kagome said. “I still think of him as a friend, but he might be more one day. Or he might just be the rebound.” Sango frowned at the modern term.
“The rebound?”
“Oh, it's when someone is hurt by someone else, and ends up with a new person. It's like bouncing to one guy and rebounding off to someone else.” Kagome explained. “I mean to say that maybe I'm not thinking straight because of what's happened, and I might be feeling this way about any guy who would show me compassion after what's happened.” Sango pursed her lip.
“Kagome, I'm not going to play games. I really can't imagine Inuyasha doing something like that to anyone, especially you. And I think if he did, he must have had a damn good reason. But if you find that you love Kouga now, then do what you want to do.' She said, climbing out of the hot spring. “I'm going to head back to camp. Are you coming?” she asked, dressing. Kagome shook her head.
“No, I'm going to stay here.” She said. Sango nodded and walked away. Kagome closed her eyes and slumped against the rock she was leaning against.
Kouga was a good man, or youkai, as it were. She could grow to love him. She had once said that the idea of growing to love someone was ridiculous. You either love someone, or you don't. And if you don't, you aren't going to. Of course, she had already broken her own rules with Inuyasha. She hadn't loved him when they had met, and yet, before all this anyway, she had.
A twig snapped under a foot, and Kagome didn't even open her eyes.
“Did you forget something?” she asked.
“Yeah, I forgot to kill the wolf.” Kagome's eyes snapped open as Inuyasha came into view. “But he's occupied keeping Shippo entertained. So I have you all to myself.” His eyes darkened, and he drew back his lips into a hungry smile. Kagome gulped.
“Si..” she started. Inuyasha was in the spring and had his hand over her mouth.
“Shhh…don't do that Kagome.” He whispered. “The wolf will come if he hears you, so we have to be quiet.” He drew a claw over Kouga's mark, drawing blood from the fresh wound. He licked a drop of his nail and licked his lips.
“But don't worry. Next time, you can be as loud as you want.”
Quick poll here. Who should Kagome end up with?
Kouga
Inuyasha-provided he smartens up
Next chapter, it's all down hill as I reveal my final twist.