InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Returning Home ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Koganadkagomeforever; if you're not a Kouga fan, then what's up with your penname?
MeanCritic; Hey, it's ok. Every story has low points and plot holes, mine are no exception. Thanks for the constructive criticism, and thanks for the grade. I'm usually a B-C guy.
Chapter 19
Returning Home
With the rumors of the shard-wielding fire youkai just being one of Naraku's traps, the gang had decided to head back to the village and consult Kaede about any new rumors. This time, Sango, Miroku, Kagome and Shippo were ridding on Kilala to save time. Inuyasha and Kouga were traveling by foot, and easily keeping up. Kagome had taken the time to fill her friends in on the events of last night, including Naraku's trickery. Miroku had caught on quickly to the sense of déjà vu Inuyasha must be feeling, and when Kagome had said that Kikyo claimed Inuyasha loved her, Sango looked over her shoulder with a `told ya so' look in her eye.
“So Inuyasha never even told Kikyo he loved her?” Shippo mused. “Boy, I knew he was stubborn, but even for him, that's bad.”
“So Kagome, will you reject Kouga's mark now?” Miroku asked. Kagome bit her lip. The million dollar question she didn't have an answer for. If she did reject Kouga, Inuyasha might break out his stupor a bit. It would also free her up to look into Kikyo's claims that he loved her. But if she didn't, not only was she leading Kouga on, she was closing the door on any chance she had of having a relationship with Inuyasha.
“I'm not sure. If Inuyasha doesn't want to be with me, then I'm just hurting Kouga for no good reason. There's no easy way out of this.” She said.
“Agreed. No matter who you choose, someone is going to get hurt.” Sango pointed out. Kagome nodded.
“I know, but Inuyasha's been hurt enough as it is. If I did reject Kouga for him, I'm not even sure he'd want me anymore.” Kagome looked up as the village came into view. “I want to head home. I need time to think away from Kouga and clear my head. I think Inuyasha does too.” Kilala landed, and Kagome hopped down as Kouga sped out of the forest. “Kouga, I'm heading home.” She said. Kouga raised an eyebrow.
“Why? We barely used any supplies.”
“I know, but I want to talk to my mom about, um…” Kagome reached up her hand and pointed a finger at her shoulder; Kouga's mark. Kouga caught on and nodded.
“Yeah, good point. You should make sure it's alright with your mother that we mate.” He said. Kagome nodded and blushed.
“Could you tell Inuyasha where I'm going when he comes back?” she asked.
“Sure, he's coming, but he's still a little down.” Kouga said. Kagome smiled. That was one good thing about the entire ordeal. She had taken the time that morning to explain the ordeal that happened fifty years ago with Kikyo, Naraku, and Inuyasha. The wolf had been surprisingly sympathetic about the situation. He had started to refer to Inuyasha by his name now, instead of dog-shit or mutt.
Kagome nodded and looked for Inuyasha once more, then turned and left for the well. She took a breath and jumped in, the blue glow of the time portal taking her to the future. She climbed out of the well and crossed the courtyard to her home. She entered the kitchen where her mother was washing dishes. Mrs. Higurashi looked up and smiled.
“Kagome, you're back early.” She said sweetly. Then she noticed the solemn look of her daughter's face, and frowned. “What's wrong?” Kagome pulled back her hair and closed her eyes tightly as her mother gasped at the sight of Kouga's mark.
“Mom, I really need to talk to you.” Kagome whispered.
- - - - - - - - - -
“It's hard to believe this well is a portal to the future.” Kouga muttered, looking over the side. Inuyasha had his hands behind his head and was reclining against the side.
“Yeah, but it's true.” He said. Kouga looked at him.
“And anyone can go through?” he asked.
“Anyone with a jewel shard.” Inuyasha told him. He looked back at the wolf. “When and if you return to your tribe, keep this quiet. If Naraku finds out, he could attack Kagome anytime he wants.”
“Yes, that would be a tragedy.” Inuyasha and Kouga snapped their heads up as Kagemusha walked out of the woods, grinning brightly. He was tossing a fireball in one hand, except it stopped and levitated a half inch over his palm. He stopped a few feet in front of the two males and chuckled.
“The miko is from the future, hm? Well, that is most interesting.” He snickered. Inuyasha growled and climbed to his feet. Kagemusha frowned and rubbed his chin. “Now, what to do? Kill you two and let my master deal with the miko in her own world, or destroy this well and keep from you two forever? Decisions, decisions.” He mused. Kouga sneered and cracked his knuckles.
“I'll solve that decision for ya.” He snarled. Inuyasha shot him a look.
“If he tells Naraku about the well, he can get through and attack Kagome's family. We can't let him escape this time.” He said to Kouga. Kouga nodded.
“Don't worry. He won't.” he said. Kagemusha sighed.
“So you want to fight? Very well. I'll be sure the miko sees your heads before I kill her.” He let his fireball hit his palm, and his arms were engulphed in flame. “Now then, let's play.”