InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Playing with Fire ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Chapter 20
Playing with Fire
Kagemusha threw his hands forward and fired twin streams of flame. Inuyasha and Kouga away as the fire missed them by inches. Inuyasha landed and drew Tetsusaiga. He jumped again and sliced at Kagemusha, but the dark hanyou backflipped and fired. The jet of flame hit Inuyasha near the feet, the force pushing him back onto his back. Kouga jumped over the well and landed a kick in Kagemusha's side, sending him spinning to the ground. Kagemusha growled.
“You've lived for far too long, wolf.” He muttered. He jumped to his feet and hurled a volley of fireballs. Inuyasha and Kouga dodged and charged at Kagemusha. Kagemusha sidestepped, grabbed Inuyasha wrist, and jerked the hanyou upwards. The Tetsusaiga sliced up and cit into Kouga's hip, drawing a deep cut.
“Watch that sword Inuyasha!” Kouga yelled, grabbing the cut. Inuyasha spun and gasped as Kagemusha landed and perched on the edge of the Bone Eater's Well.
“You two never seem to learn. How about you kill each other now and save me the trouble?” he chuckled. Inuyasha growled and tightened his grip on Tetsusaiga.
“I'm not going to let you hurt Kagome.” He muttered, raising his sword. “Kaze-no…” He started to bring the sword down, but Kouga grabbed his wrist.
“Have you lost your mind, you'll hit the well!” Kouga shouted. Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and lowered the sword.
“Damn, you're right. How are we supposed to attack him without hitting the well?” he snarled.
“Leave that to me!” Kouga said, jumping. He went to land a kick to Kagemusha's chest, but the hanyou easily knocked Kouga away with another burst of red-hot flames.
“So the puppy can't attack, and the wolf is too impulsive to do it right.” Kagemusha snickered. “I may yet wait to kill you, I'm having fun with you.” He threw back his head and laughed. Inuyasha looked at Kouga as he climbed to his feet.
“How are we supposed to beat him?” he whispered. Kouga smirked.
“I have an idea. It's worked before, it may work again.” He replied. He looked Inuyasha in the eye. “Inuyasha, I'm sorry.” Before Inuyasha could ask for an explanation, Kouga grabbed his shoulders and flung him through the air. Kagemusha gasped as Tetsusaiga sliced right through his shoulder as the hanyou sailed overhead. Kagemusha fell to the ground beside the well, clutching his shoulder. He stood and turned to glare at Inuyasha.
“You filthy…” he growled. He was cut off as Kouga's jewel-shard powered kick landed right in the middle of Kagemusha's back. Blood seeped into his kimono as Kagemusha flew forward and landed facedown.
“Inuyasha, do it!” Kouga urged. Inuyasha nodded.
“Right.” He jumped and sliced the Tetsusaiga towards Kagemusha. “Kaze-no-Kizu!” he yelled, slamming into the ground. Kagemusha screamed in pain as the attack consumed his body. His skin erupted in flame, and finally fizzled out. Inuyasha landed and sheathed Tetsusaiga. Then he turned to Kouga. “What were you thinking?” he asked.
“I needed a diversion!” Kouga protested.
“And you couldn't think of anything else then throwing me at him?” Inuyasha asked, walking up to him. Kouga avoided his gaze and laughed nervously.
“Nothing came to mind…” he muttered, Inuyasha stopped.
“Hey.” He said. Kouga looked at him, and Inuyasha held out his hand. “It worked didn't it?” Kouga smiled and shook his hand.
“Yeah. It did.”
- - - - - - - - - -
“So you had sex with Kouga.” Mrs. Higurashi said carefully. Kagome shook her head.
“So. I just kind of…promised him I would.” She explained.
“Ah. Well thank you, every mother wants her daughter to promise herself to a youkai.” Mrs. Higurashi said. Kagome groaned.
“Mom, please. I really need your help. I don't want to be with Kouga, I love Inuyasha.”
“Then reject his mark.” Mrs. Higurashi said.
“It's not that simple.”
“Yes it is, Kagome. If you love Inuyasha, but don't love Kouga, then you choose the one you love. I know you may have feelings for Kouga, but if you feel more strongly about Inuyasha, then you have to make him understand how much he means to you.”
“But what if he rejects me again? Then I'm just hurting myself and Kouga.” Kagome whispered.
“Kagome, show me where, in any book, it's written that love is fair. It isn't. It destroys the most honorable man and reduces him to nothing. I brings up the most unruly to the equal of a god. Love isn't fair Kagome, and most of the time, it won't be. But it is simple. We tend to complicate things that could hurt us in an attempt to find a way around the hurt, so everyone can be happy. But it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes, you can't make people happy, no matter how much you try. If Kouga can't make you happy, then don't be with him.”
“But he does make me happy. I think I have feelings for him too.” Kagome said.
“Kagome, if you have feelings for both of them, then figure them out on your own. I can't tell you who to pick. I will tell you to pick who you feel most about. Following your heart is all you can do in these matters. Tell the little voice in your head that doesn't want to hurt anyone to be quiet. If the gods had wanted people to find love with their brains, then their brains would have a heartbeat. Only the heart knows what it truly wants, who it truly loves. If you love Kouga more then Inuyasha, then be with him. I'll stand by you no matter who you choose. Although…” Mrs. Higurashi smiled. “If that's the case, I will miss the prospect of puppy-eared grandkids.” Kagome laughed and shook her head in disbelief.
“You always know what to say mom. Thank you.” Mrs. Higurashi got up around the table and pulled her daughter into a hug.
“I'm a mom, it's what I do.”