InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love That Dog! ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Love that Dog


Chapter 19

Note: My Beta is currently busy with things so I read over it with the best of my horrid English skills. I’ll get the correct version out as soon as I can.

The next few days in the Higurashi household were quite boring, Sango and Miroku went out on a date at least once a day, and Inu Yasha and Kagome were always thinking up of excuses as to why they needed to bake cookies. They assumed that their lives were just going to become normal from there on out, what else could happen? The four didn’t know, but a lot could.

Ring…

Ring…

Ring…
< br> “Is anyone going to get that?!” Kagome exclaimed, the phone rang once again, and then she realized that there was no one else to answer the phone, she was the only one in the house.

“Hello?”

“Kagome darling! Its been such a long time, I’m sorry we never contacted you, but my job was very hectic for the first few years, but now it’s settled down and I wanted to see how you were doing!.”

‘Gee thanks mom,’ Kagome thought. It had been three years since she had talked to her mother, her brother and grandfather would call periodically, but her mother would never call. “Well mother, I’m just fine-“

“Kagome! We’re home!” Sango’s voice echoed into the room from the foyer. “We thought we’d ask you if you wanted to go out to dinner with us since Inu Yasha went to visit his brother today.”

Who is that Kagome? Was that a female voice?! And who is this Inu Yasha boy? Did you finally get a boyfriend? I always wondered about you, always turning down Hojo, he was such a nice boy.”

Kagome sighed, “No mother, he is not my boyfriend, just one of the borders.”

“Hmm, well I see. Kagome this is an order from your mother, I’m calling the airport tonight and reserving ten seats for the next available flight for you to come see me. I expect you to get on that plane, no questions asked, see you tomorrow Kagome darling.”

There was a small ‘click’ and Kagome new her mother had hung up the phone. Her face turned pale. Well wasn’t this lovely? She now had to bring everyone with her to go see her mother. It would be a nightmare. “God save us all…”

“Kagome? What’s wrong? Who was on the phone?” Sango walked into the living room and sat down on the couch next to Kagome.

“It was my mother; she wants us to come visit her.”

Sango didn’t understand why it was such a bad thing. “It’ll be fun Kagome, I’m sure it will be fine.”

Kagome shook her head. “Not when it’s my mother we’re seeing. She used to be so calm and nice, but after my father left her, she’s turned into some wild woman! She used to work as a librarian, and then all of a sudden she moved to America and is the chief editor and staff of the Playboy magazine!”

“Did I just hear you say that your mother works for Playboy!? Oh please take me with you Kagome!” Miroku dropped to knees and began to beg for Kagome to take him.

Sango whacked him on the head with her purse. “I’m sure she’s still a nice lady, it’ll be fine. So who’s all coming?”

“Well, let’s see,” Kagome began to count on her fingers. “Me, you, Miroku, Inu Yasha, Naraku, Koga, Kikyo, Kaede, Sesshomaru and I guess there is no tenth person, I’m sure my mother will be fine with that.”

Kagome could already tell that this was going to be one of the oddest experiences in her life. She was taking all of these people to go visit her mother. It would be one thing if they were just going on vacation or something like that, but actually having to spend time with her mother was another. This trip would be a gamble; she had no idea if all of them could even stay on one plan that long.

She began to start packing when Sango spoke up. “Before you leave Kagome, just where does your mother work? Where at in the country does she work?”

Kagome let out a sigh, “That’s the thing; it’s in California, which means a long plane ride. Our plane leaves at 4:25 PM from the Tokyo airport and will arrive at the airport in Los Angeles at 10:10 AM. So almost a ten hour plane ride.”

“I’m going to have to buy a better battery for my portable DVD player,” Miroku said with one of his mischievous looks on his face. “My current battery only has a life span of four and a half hours…”

Sango glared at Miroku, knowing what he was planning on watching, “Unless you plan on watching Blues Clues or Barney, you will have no reason to bring your portable DVD player along.”

Miroku gulped. “Yes ma’am!”

Just what Kagome thought, it was already turning chaotic.


Later on that Day…


Kagome sat on one of her lawn chairs outside and looked up at the sky. Tomorrow at this time they would be up in the air, headed towards America. She wasn’t sure what they were supposed to do about passports; Kagome almost knew for a fact that none of them had ever gone out of the country.

It was still very cold outside; of course with it being winter, it did make sense. Kagome hated winter, she hated how it seemed to drain the life out of everything and all of the trees besides the evergreens lost their leaves, ridding the surroundings of green. She would often sit outside and long to feel the suns warm rays on her face.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of air. It was cold and hurt her lungs. Kagome continued to sit there with her eyes closed, just listening to the sounds of winter.

“Keh, do you plan on sitting there to you freeze?”

Her eyes quickly flew open and she looked up to see Inu Yasha’s face peering down at her. She formed a light blush on her cheeks and she quickly jumped out of her chair, managing to knock her head into Inu Yasha’s, causing a loud thump as their foreheads met.

Inu Yasha rubbed his forehead and glared at her, “Watch what you’re doing with that empty hole on your head. Clumsy wench… Keh.”

“Hey! It’s not like I meant to!” Kagome moved closer to him to yell in his face. “If you hadn’t been standing over me, I wouldn’t have jumped out of my chair resulting in our heads hitting!!”

What came next utterly surprised her.

He hit her playfully on the arm. “Keh, can’t you take a joke? I wasn’t really mad.” She looked into his eyes, and she could tell that he was telling the truth.

“Well, it’s just not like you to joke around, I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you joke around before. Are you trying to turn over a new leaf or something since it’s the beginning of the New Year?” Maybe Inu Yasha made a secret New Year’s resolution that he didn’t tell her about. Could it be that he was actually going to try to be nicer to her? Kagome thought about it. Nope. That would never happen.

“No!” He exclaimed, “Just because I joke around once doesn’t mean that I have to be nice to you! Besides, I don’t believe in those stupid resolutions, they are for losers with no life!”

If Inu Yasha was going to joke around, she figured she would too. “So are you telling me that I’m a loser with no life? Thanks Inu Yasha, you just made my day!”

Realizing what he had just done, he tried to find his way out of a long going verbal argument. “T-that’s not what I meant! I mean the other people who have resolutions and never end up fulfilling them and I’m sure that you do! God damn wench! Why do you always have to make things so damn difficult!?”

“Well I’m sorry Inu Yasha,” She began to walk away, snickering under her breath, “I was just joking around.” Kagome continued to walk away from him, leaving him dumbfounded.

He stood there, startled by her come back. Never had he expected that to Kagome from Kagome’s mouth, but then again, he was thinking of Kagome here. There was only one thought in his mind.

Damn did that wench get him good.


House meeting, later that day


Not long after Kagome entered her house, she had called everyone together for an important house meeting. Eventually, they all managed to arrive and were sitting down in various spots in her living room, wondering what was going on.

“For those of you who don’t know,” Kagome started out, “We are going on a vacation.”

Koga gave Naraku a hi-five. “Like you know what this means man! Road trip to find some good-looking gals!”

“Your right… Maybe we can spots in a porno movie!”

Koga cringed, “Like dude, I don’t think I want people watching me make out with a girl man…”

Kagome cleared her throat to get the two to shut up. “That’s the thing; we aren’t going on a road trip. Actually, we are leaving the country; we’re headed to America to visit my mother in California.”

Inu Yasha sat on the couch, not very interested. So they were going to America, big deal? Before the meeting started, Kagome was so worried and she looked like she had to tell them something bad. “Keh, you make it sound like that’s going to be some bad thing wench.”

“That’s because you don’t know the whole story yet…” Well, she figured that Sango and Miroku handled it alright, so hopefully everyone else would too. “We are also staying with my mother, and she wants us to visit her where she works… There’s only one tiny problem with that…”

“Do tell Kagome,” Sesshomaru said, “You’ve got me intrigued.”

Well, this was it. “My mother is the chief editor for the Playboy magazine, and well let’s just say it’s a very interesting place, not that I’ve ever been there before, but my brother has said it’s really weird.”

Everyone, besides Miroku and Sango who already knew, was extremely amazed that Kagome’s mom worked for Playboy. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, it was just really odd.

Inu Yasha sat there, trying to imagine Kagome sitting behind a desk working for playboy. It just didn’t happen. He just couldn’t put two and two together. Maybe Kagome inherited more of her fathers gene’s that her mothers. At that point he sure hoped so. “So, when are we leaving?”

“Tomorrow,” Kagome replied.

“Are these boneheads coming along too?” Inu Yasha asked, pointing to Koga and Naraku.

She nodded her head, “My mother insisted that I bring everyone who was currently living with me. Of course I do have one extra ticket if you know anyone else who might want to come.”

No one knew anyone else and the ticket was about to go unclaimed, but then Sesshomaru spoke up. “If no one else is going to claim it, then I will. This peak of my company’s sales and I don’t want to be clogged with work on this vacation, so I was wondering if your mother would mind if I brought my secretary.”

Kagome shrugged, “I don’t know why she would mind. I’d be more than happy to take her along with us.”

“What an interesting trip this is going to be,” Inu Yasha mumbled to himself, Kagome managed to make out what he was saying.

‘Yes Inu Yasha, this is trip is going to be very interesting…’


Later that Night. Sango’s room

Sango stood next to her bed trying to cram her clothes she had gotten from her parents house into a suitcase Kagome let her barrow. She was only bringing everything she would need, except that since they were staying in California for a week and a half, it was a lot of clothes and other personal belongings to bring alone. Not to mention she was going to need a lot of things to do with their horridly long plane ride.

Her thoughts were soon interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Come in,” Sango said, not asking who was at the door because she really didn’t care who it was.

She heard a person walk over to her and then put their arms around her waist from behind. Sango chuckled knowing exactly who it was. “What did you want Miroku?”

Miroku didn’t answer her. “If you are mad because I would kiss you earlier it’s because I ate too much garlic but I’ll pay you back now.” She turned her head to face his.

She screamed.

“Ha! Ha! I got you Sango!” Kagome exclaimed, “I made Miroku stay outside. I always wanted to do that to somebody.” Sango watched as Kagome skipped out of her room like a little child.

She stood there wide-eyed, trying to process what had just happened into her brain, but she was unsuccessful.

Not quite sure what had just happened, she continued to try and stuff everything into her suitcase. Why was it so hard to fit a weeks worth of clothes into a suitcase? Sango was getting so frustrated that she climbed up onto her bed and sat on top of her suitcase, hoping that it might help her to close it.

Still no luck. She was going furious, she had been yanking at the stupid zipper for the past fifteen minutes and still she couldn’t get the damned cover closed!

“Who knew suitcases could be so evil,” Sango muttered to herself still trying to figure out a way to get her suitcase closed. She thought about maybe wearing lots of layers, but she figured it would be hot and she might look a little suspicious.

She continued to whack away at the luggage until a small bite on the cartilage of her ear made her jump. This time, she turned around first before she talked, just to make sure it wasn’t Kagome or anyone else playing a trick on her again.

Fortunately, it was Miroku who bit her ear; she wasn’t sure how she would’ve reacted to someone else. “Did you need something Miroku?”

“No, not really,” he eyed her situation, “You seem to be having a fun time with your luggage there, got tired of me already? Never guessed that you would be the type to be with luggage.”

A blush quickly crept across her face. What was it recently with everyone? First Kagome and now Miroku. “That’s not what I was doing you pervert! I was just trying to get my luggage closed, and then you went and turned it into something perverted-“

His lips quickly covered hers and she became silent. It drove him crazy when she would ramble on, and he knew that this was one of the only ways to stop her. Not that it bothered him though. He pressed his mouth harder against hers and put one of his hands on her shoulders.

After a few more seconds, Sango broke the kiss, knowing that she had to get her suitcase closed. There would be no way to close her suitcase if she didn’t stop kissing Miroku. “Not now,” She quickly said and began to try to work at her baggage some more.

Her fiancée pouted, “Why? I was a good boy today.” Miroku quickly hugged her from behind. “Can’t you just take five minutes out of what your doing to be with me?”

“I’ve been trying to close this stupid suitcase for the past twenty minutes! If I stop to kiss you, then I know I won’t have the self control to pull away after five minutes is up, then the next thing I know, it’ll be morning and almost time to leave!” Why did he always have to act like a stubborn little child?

He bent over towards her ear. His breath tingled her ear until he finally whispered, “Am I really that irresistible? I never realized that I could make you loose all self-control so easily…”

She pulled away from his grasp and began fussing with her luggage some more. “God damn luggage… If I didn’t need you I would go throw you into the fireplace!”

Miroku took Sango’s hand and moved it off the zipper, and then he took his other hand and without any problems, closed the luggage like it was just like riding his bike.

Sango just stood there, both in amazement and slight anger because she knew that he closed her luggage just so she would thank him with a kiss or something else along those lines. Well, she wasn’t going to pay him back.

Nope, she wasn’t going to pay him back at all.

Even though he looked so cute standing there…

And that she could stare into his eyes forever…

The warmth of his hand in hers...

‘Ah hell,’ she thought, ‘Screw the no payback idea.’


Living Room 4 Am


Kagome sat on the couch staring at the clock. In less than twelve hours they would be arrive at the airport getting ready to get on a plane to go visit her mother. The whole phrase just scared her. ‘Visiting her mother,’ was she supposed to feel so worried about this? Just because she hadn’t seen her mother in a few years didn’t mean that she was a completely different person. Did it? Just because her job changed didn’t mean that she wasn’t the kind mother who made her sack lunch and tucked her in at night, right? There were just too many thoughts going through her head. Would everything turn out okay? Maybe she should try and get some sleep… But how could she sleep?

She wondered if her mother realized how much stress this was causing her.

“Kagome? What on earth are you doing up at this hour?”

Her eyes looked over to see Inu Yasha and they followed him until he ended up sitting on the couch besides her. She thought it was odd that Inu Yasha was up at four in the morning. Maybe he was thirsty or something. “I should be asking you the same thing.”

Inu Yasha gave a light shrug of his shoulders, “Keh, I don’t know, I usually only sleep three to four hours every night any way. I’m never tired.”

Kagome studied his face. It was true, he sure didn’t seem tired to her. Maybe he just really didn’t need as much sleep as a normal human needed. She was about to let it slide until she looked harder and noticed the dark bags under his eyes. How could she have missed them?! Now that she looked hard enough, he looked really exhausted. Why did he lie to her?

“I thought we said that we were going to be friends…”

He was confused, what on earth was she talking about? He just told her that he was never tired. “You need to make more sense when you speak. What the hell did I do wrong?”

“You lied to me,” Kagome said no higher than a whisper. “Just by looking at your face I can tell that you aren’t getting enough sleep.” Most of the time, she knew the answer to why a person acted the way they did, but this time, she couldn’t.

Inu Yasha for once in his life was speechless and not sure what to say.

“Friends are supposed to tell each other everything, why don’t you want to tell me why you aren’t sleeping?” She was willing to do everything in her power at that moment to get an answer out of him.

Why was she being so damn persistent? Couldn’t she just leave him alone and let him suffer with his own problems? “It’s because it’s embarrassing! That’s why!”

“Come one,” Kagome begged, “You can tell me, I promise I won’t laugh, or tell anyone else.”

Inu Yasha mumbled and cursed under his breath and then finally answered, “I’mafraidofthedarksoIsleepwiththelightonwhichkeepsmeup.”

Kagome thought she heard right, but she wasn’t too sure. “What did you say? All of your words were scrunched together.”

He started to growl. “I’m afraid of the dark! There! Are you happy now!?”

This came as a shocker to Kagome. Inu Yasha just never seemed like the kind of guy who would be afraid of the dark. It was perfectly normal to be afraid of the dark, but when it was Inu Yasha as the one who was afraid, it was just down right weird. Though, at the same time, it was kind of cute because it showed that Inu Yasha had a worse bark than his bite.

Inu Yasha tried to study how Kagome was taking what he said but he couldn’t read her. “You can stop keeping it in. I don’t care if you laugh.”

She shook her head; “I’m not going to laugh,” Kagome reached over with her right arm and tweaked his ear, “I actually find it quite cute.”

“What?!” Inu Yasha’s face turned into a cherry tomato. “How do you find me being afraid of the dark cute!?”

“I just think it is. Is that a problem for you Inu Yasha?”

“Keh… No you stupid wench.”

Kagome smiled. “Good.” She rested her head on his shoulder and continued to stare at the clock. “To be honest, I don’t want to go visit my mother.”

“Why not?” Inu Yasha asked.

“What if she’s really different from the last time I saw her and she’s not like the mom I used to know. Plus with her job and everything being so strange, I just want this to be a normal trip. I just find her job embarrassing.”

Inu Yasha slipped his hand into hers and stared at the clock along with her. “Keh, you worry too much, don’t worry about what’s going to happen later otherwise your going to become a nasty old lady some day who’s constantly worrying.”

A small smile appeared on the corner of Kagome’s face; she tightened her grip on his hand and replied. “Your right Inu Yasha thanks.”

The two sat on the couch, and both eventually fell into a peaceful sleep, not realizing just how chaotic their lives were about to come.

TBC!

Sorry for not updating in a while, if you didn’t know I updated the 3rd chapter of Revenge is Sweet, I felt bad for those people who read it and have been wondering why I hadn’t updated since October 2003…