InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Loving You ❯ And the truth is... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*Loving You*

Chapter Four: And the truth is...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome was just about done with her unpacking when she heard the front door open. She didn't bother to go downstairs to see who it was. Instead, she just stayed in her room and checked her email, while Wyatt watched cartoons. Kagome didn't expect the knock she heard on her door a few minutes later.

Kagome took off her reading glasses and shut her laptop. "Yeah?" Please don't let it be Mom or Akira.

When Rin's head popped out from behind the door, Kagome sighed in relief. "Hey. Can I come in?"

Kagome grinned. "Wow, you really have changed. You used to just barge in."
Rin blushed and stepped into the room and shut the door. "I didn't want to smother you," she said as she sat down next to her sister.

Kagome grabbed Rin and gave her a big hug. Which Rin gladly returned. "You're my big sister, and I haven't seen you in four years. I give you permission to smother me all you want, as long as I get to smother you, too."

Rin laughed and hugged her harder. "I don't think you know what you're getting into. I can be pretty annoying."

Kagome laughed as well. "So can I. Or have you forgotten about the year I followed you around everywhere?"

"Trust me. I didn't forget." Rin sighed and looked down at her sister, who was slouching to hug her. "I'm so glad that you're back."

"I don't think Mom and Akira share your happiness," Kagome said, untangling herself from Rin's arms. She leaned against the headboard before she continued. "They didn't look to happy at the hospital."
Rin brushed back Kagome's bangs off her forehead. "Aww, honey. You just need to give them time to adjust. They're not used to having you around."

"Yeah, I know. I just don't want you-know-who-" Kagome jerked her head towards Wyatt, "-to know how they fell about me. I just want them to accept him and not hate him because they're mad at me." She then thought of something that scared her. "They don't hate him, do they? And don't lie to me."

"Honestly, I don't know," Rin admitted. "They never really talk about you or him. Whenever someone brought you up, they changed the subject. Or if one of their friends or co-workers asked about you, they just said that you were having a wonderful time in America and you decided to go to college there, too."

"Oh."

"You sound so defeated."

"Yeah, well, that's how I feel at the moment. That and anger."

"Kagome, I'm sure that once they get used to him, and get to know him, they'll love him." Rin smiled. "Trust me. Everything will be fine." She got up and walked over to the door. "Are you coming down to dinner?""I guess. Call me when it's ready?""Sure," Rin opened the door, but before she stepped out, Kagome stopped her.

"Hey, um, does Mom and Akira live here still?"
"No, they moved out when Sango got married. They live in a nice little house just outside of the city.""Oh, that's good to know. At least I won't be running into them everyday."

Rin shook her head and chuckled. "I'll see you in a little bit," she said, conveniently forgetting to mention that their mom was over almost everyday to help with Sango and her dad stopped by sometimes after work to say hi.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An hour and a half later, Rin went upstairs to get Kagome and Wyatt for dinner. When they walked downstairs, they were surprised to see Miroku coming through the front door.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Rin asked.

"Yeah, I thought you'd be permanently attached to Sango while she was there," Kagome added.

Miroku hung up his jacket. "She said that I was smothering her, so she told me to leave. I was gonna go over to Yash's so you guys can catch up, but he wasn't home, so I came back here."When Miroku said Inuyasha's name, Kagome took in a sharp breathe and hung her head.

Miroku didn't realize what he said until he heard and saw Kagome. "Oh, Kagome, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"No, Miroku, it's fine." He and Rin looked at her, not believing what she was saying. "Really, it's fine. I didn't expect you guys to not talk to him after I left, I'm just not used to it, is all."

"Okay," Rin said. "So, are you guys hungry?" She looked down at Wyatt, "How about you? Are you hungry?"

"Yeah!"

"Then let's eat! She took his hand and lead him into the dining room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So, what are the color themes for the wedding?" Kagome asked after they sat down and started eating.

"White and navy blue," Rin said. "The bridesmaids are wearing navy blue dresses and the bouquets are made up of white roses and baby breathe flowers."

"Sounds pretty," Kagome said, after taking a bite of her dinner.

"Well, I'm glad you think so, because you're my maiden of honor," Rin told her.

"What?"

"You're my maiden of honor," Rin repeated.

"Why not Sango?" Kagome asked.

"Because I wanted you to feel that you are still part of the family," Rin explained.

"And because Sango doesn't want to walk with the best man," Miroku said under his breath.

"Miroku!" hissed Rin.

"Wait a sec, who's the best man?" Kagome asked. "Maybe I don't want to walk with him, either."

Rin glared at Miroku, who looked back at her innocently. I am so going to hurt him. I wanted to wait at least a few more days to tell her. Damn it!

"Well, um, Sesshomaru's best man is, uh," Rin started.

"Who?!" Kagome said, impatiently.

"Well, Sesshomaru'sbestmanisInuyasha," Rin said really fast. "Seconds?" She got stood up and took her plate into the kitchen.

Kagome jumped up and followed her. "What did you just say?"

"I asked if you wanted seconds," Rin said, putting her plate in the sink.

"Not that, what you said just before that," Kagome said, cornering Rin.

"I said that Sesshomaru's best man is Inuyasha," Rin said slowly.

"That's what I thought you said. Now," Kagome took a deep breath. "What are you thinking? How could you do this to me?" Kagome yelled.

"Well, I just thought that maybe you two could-"

"Could what? Get back together? Pretend that I didn't lie to him and kept him from knowing that he has a son?"

"Well, he's gonna find out soon anyway. I figured that it would be better for everyone if he found out from you, that's all."

"That's not the only reason, and you know it."

"Okay, so maybe I thought you guys would get back together," Rin said And stop dating that horrible girl he's with now. "I didn't think it would be a big deal."

"A big deal? Rin, come on," Kagome said.

"I'm sorry, Kagome, but you're gonna do this and you're gonna like it," Rin said sternly. "You're not going to mess up my wedding."

"Fine, I'll do it, but I won't like it," Kagome said, pouting.

"Good, just don't show it at the ceremony, and I'll be fine." With that said, Rin took the dessert out of the oven, double chocolate brownies, and went into the dining room, leaving Kagome in the kitchen with her thoughts.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome put Wyatt to bed and went upstairs to the attic, where she spent most of her time when she lived here. She had considered it her own place. No one hardly came up here, especially Akira. He said an attic was a place for storage. Which was exactly why she hung out up there, so that no one would bother her.

She stepped into the attic and walked over to the window and gazed out at the neighborhood she grew up in. Kagome would often look out the window when she was younger and dream about what life would be like once she got away.

"Kagome?"

She wiped her eyes and turned to see Inuyasha standing in the doorway. "What are you still doing here? I thought your dad picked you up."

"He called and said he's running late," he walked up beside Kagome. "What'cha doin'?"

"Thinking."

"About...?"
Kagome turned away from the window and looked at Inuyasha. "Don't you ever wish that you could just get away? Be free?"

"Free?"

She turned back to the window as tears formed in her eyes. "I feel like I'm trapped here. My dad's dead, I'm stuck living here with Mom and Akira. I just want to get away."

"Your dad's dead?" Inuyasha asked, clearly shocked at the news. "When did he die?"

"You know that trip to New York I went on two weeks ago?"
Inuyasha nodded.

"I went for his funeral."

Inuyasha gently grabbed her arm and turned her around to face him. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know," Kagome sobbed. "I thought that maybe if I didn't think about it, if I didn't say it out loud, then maybe it didn't happen."

Inuyasha pulled her into his arms and Kagome cried softly into his shirt. "Kagome, it's okay. It's alright."

"No, it's not alright. My dad is dead." She gripped his shirt tightly as more sobs wracked her body. "Oh my god, my dad is dead!"

Inuyasha rubbed her back and whispered in her ear, telling her that everything was going to be okay.

"Inuyasha, you're dad is here!" Hitomi called up to him.

He looked down at Kagome. "Do you want me to see if I can stay longer?"

Kagome wiped her eyes and shook her head. "No, it's okay."

"You sure?"

She nodded her head. "Yes, I'm fine." He looked at her skeptically. "Go. I'll be okay. I'll call you tomorrow."

He gave her one more hug and kissed her forehead. "Okay, bye."

"Bye," she whispered.

Kagome waited until she saw him leave with his dad before walking to the attic door and locking it. She walked over to a locked chest in the corner of the room, after opening it, she pulled out a large book, that had clearly seen better days, and flipped through the pages until she found what she was looking for.

The Book of Shadows, which was what the book was called, was given to her a little over a year ago for her thirteenth birthday from her father. He had told her that she was old enough to have it. And she studied it everyday.

She read over the spell and gathered the ingredients for the potion and the bronze pot to put it in. And last she grabbed the dagger she kept in the chest. After setting up the five candles and mixing the potion up, she sat in front of it with the book next to her.

Kagome held her hand over the pot and cut her finger and dripped some blood into it. "Blood to blood, I summon thee, blood to blood return to me," she recited. She waited and when nothing happened, she felt tears form in her eyes. She squeezed some more blood out and repeated the spell, and ended up with the same result. Dropping the dagger, she cradled her head in her hands and cried. A minute later, she heard the pages of the book moving. She watched until it stopped, landing on a ghost summoning spell. She read it carefully, so she wouldn't mess up. She put away everything except the candles, which were still lit, and arranged them in a circle on the floor. Picking up the book, she read the spell. "Hear these words, hear my cry, spirit from the other side, come to me, I summon thee, cross now the great divide."

Swirling white lights appeared in front of her and took the shape of a person. "Kagome."

"Grandma?"

Her grandmother, Maria, stepped outside of the circle and became corporeal. "Kagome, darling, come here."

Kagome set the book down, and practically threw herself into her grandmothers arms. She held Kagome tightly while she cried. "Oh, Kagome, you poor thing. How are you?"

"How am I?" Kagome repeated.

"What I meant was, how are you holding up?"

"Not good. Why didn't you come before, when I called you? I really needed you."

Maria answered slowly, "I was busy."
Kagome raised her eyebrow. "You were busy? With what, haunting people?"

Maria sighed. "No, I was with your father."

"You were?" Kagome felt more tears form in her eyes. "How is he?"

"He's dealing," Maria said. "We're more worried about you, though. How is everything with your mother?"

"She seems fine. She hasn't really talked about it since we got home. And I haven't talked to anyone about it, either." She paused. "Well, I did talk to Inuyasha today about it."

"I know, I saw."

"You were watching me?"

"Well, yeah. How am I supposed to know that you're safe?"

Kagome shook her head, not wanting to think that her grandmother spies on her.

"Kagome, I know what you tried to do," Maria said accusingly.

Kagome looked away. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You do to. You tried to bring you dad back."

"Well, do you blame me? I miss him so much, I just want him to be here, with me."

"I know, darling, I know."

Kagome blinked away the memory. Even after all these years, this window still has the same feeling of being trapped. She turned from the window and walked to the middle of the room and lifted the rug. Under the rug was a loose floor board that used when she was younger to keep the stuff most important to her. Prying open the board, she found the photo album she forgot to take with her when she left, and pulled it out. She blew off the dust before turning the cover.

Kagome flipped through the pages, stopping at each one, reliving the memory in her head. There was one right after her first dance recital. She was standing between Rin and Inuyasha with the brightest smile on her face. There was a lot of pictures of them growing up. They were always hanging out together, Kagome, Inuyasha, Rin, Sesshomaru, Miroku, and sometimes Sango. She noticed that in the pictures, as she turned the pages, that they were getting older. More of them were of her during and after plays, dance recitals, and talent competitions. And in everyone of those pictures was Inuyasha standing next to her, except for the ones of her on the stage. He went to every single show she was in. Kagome felt tears come to her eyes when she came to the last picture. It was of her and Inuyasha, as always, she thought. It was after the last talent show she was in here in Tokyo. She didn't know that Rin took the picture until she gave it to Kagome. The picture showed her and Inuyasha were kissing very passionately after she won first place.

Kagome quickly shut the album. She didn't want to look at the pictures anymore. Suddenly feeling very exhausted, she went back downstairs and went to bed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome felt someone shake her shoulder. She moaned and snuggled closer to her pillow.

"Mommy, wake up."

Kagome opened her eyes and saw Wyatt very close to her face and jumped.

"Hi, Mommy."
"Good morning, sweetheart," Kagome said after she yawned. "Is it time to get up already?"

"Uh-huh, I'm hungry."

"Mmhmm, I know, you're always hungry." Another thing he has in common with his father.

Kagome went through her morning routine and after brushing her hair and teeth, she went downstairs.

She sat Wyatt down at the kitchen table. "Okay, little dude, what do you want for breakfast?"

"Cereal!"

"Then cereal it is." She walked over to the cupboards and scanned the boxes. "Okay, we got Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, and Lucky Charms. What'll it be?"

"Lucky Charms!"

Kagome fixed Wyatt some cereal and made a pot of coffee and bagel for herself. She sat down with him at the table, both of them just eating their breakfast in their pajamas, as usual. Kagome in a tank top, loose pajama pants and socks and Wyatt in his footie pjs. They were halfway done with their breakfast, when they heard the front door open.

"I'm so glad to be out of that hospital."

"Sounds like Aunt Sango is home," Kagome said to Wyatt. She got up and walked out of the kitchen, through the dining room and into the foyer to greet Sango. "Hi Sango. How are you feeling?"

"Great, now that I'm home," she handed Miroku her coat and he hung it up in the hall closet, doing the same with his.

"Are you hungry? I can made you some breakfast."

"Thanks, but no. We stopped at a restaurant and got something," she said as she walked into the living room. She plopped down on the couch and turned on the television. "But I would like some hot tea, if you don't mind."

"Sure, any specific flavor?"

"Raspberry sounds good."

"Be back in a few." Kagome walked back into the kitchen, with Miroku following her.

"Mornin' buddy," Miroku said to Wyatt, who just drank the last of his milk in the bowl.

"Hi."

Kagome filled up the tea kettle and set it on the stove. "So, how is she really?"

"The doctor said she's fine. She just needs to take it easy, no over exerting herself."

"Do you think she can handle that?"

"What do you mean?" Miroku asked, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"I'm sorry, have you even met your wife? She's just like the rest of the women in this family. We're active, we need to be doing something. We can't just sit back, and do nothing."

"You're right. But what can she do that's active but not too active?"

"Well, I did yoga and took lots of walks." Kagome pulled the tea and a mug out of the cupboard and set them on the counter. "Does she like that stuff?"

"She likes to go on walks."

"Then, just make sure she goes on lots of walks. And don't make her just walk around the neighborhood, take her to parks in the car and walk around there. Just take her to different places. Walking around the same place gets boring after awhile."
"Lots of walks, different places. Got it." Miroku walked over to the table and eyed Kagome's half eaten bagel. "You gonna finish this?"

"No, go ahead." The kettle whistled and Kagome poured the hot water into the mug and put in the tea bag. "Didn't you eat at the restaurant?"

"I only got a couple bites, Sango ate most of it, plus hers."

"You let her eat your food even though you were hungry? That's so sweet."

"How is it sweet?"

Kagome just smiled and picked up the tea and her coffee and walked out of the kitchen.

Miroku rolled his eyes and looked at Wyatt. "Girls," he said, shaking his head.

Wyatt just giggled.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Here, Sango." Kagome handed the tea to her sister.

"Thanks."

Kagome sat in the armchair across from the couch and watched some tv with Sango, Miroku and Wyatt coming in a few minutes after her.

After about a half hour, Rin finally joined them in the living room, with her own cup of coffee. "Good morning, every one."

"Mornin'," they greeted back.

Rin set her coffee mug down and picked up Wyatt, who was sitting in Kagome's lap, and sat down with him in the other armchair. "And a special good morning to you," she said as she gave a him a big hug.

"Don't squish him," Kagome warned, a bit of humor evident in her voice.

"I won't, don't worry," Rin said before she kissed her nephew's forehead. "I love him too much to hurt him."

Kagome laughed silently and shook her head. She glance up and the clock on the mantel above the fireplace and noticed that it was almost noon. Why isn't Miroku and Rin at work? And asked them just that.

"I don't have a job," Rin said.

"I thought you said you worked at the hospital," Kagome said.

"No, I just volunteer there, when I can."

"Oh. And you?" She said to Miroku.

"I called the station this morning and told them I wasn't coming in today."

"Station? Oh, that's right, you're a cop."

"Yeah, been one for a couple years now."

"How do you like it?"

"It's okay. But me and I-uh, my partner are going to become detectives this year."

"You have a partner?" Kagome said, completely missing Miroku's stutter.

"Yeah."

"Do you have a women partner, like almost every cop show?"

"No, he doesn't," Sango said. "The only woman partner he has is his wife."

"And that's the way it should be," Kagome agreed.

"Oh my gosh!" Rin exclaimed.

"What?" The three other adults asked.

"Did you two just agree on something?"

"Very funny, Rin," Sango said, just as the doorbell rang.

Rin just laughed.

Kagome got up to answer the door. "I'm gonna get you back, Rin. Just you wait and see," she teased.

"Uh-huh, sure," she called back.

Kagome unlocked the door and opened it. She gasped, looking at the person who was at the door.

"Kagome?"

Kagome shuddered at the sound of her name and without even thinking, she slammed the door shut. Whirling around, she put her back against the door. "Oh my god," she whispered. "Oh, no."

Rin, hearing the door slam, rushed to her sister's side. "What is it?"

"Inu..Inuyasha's here," Kagome said, her voice shaking.

"Oh, Kagome. What are you gonna do?"

The door bell rang again.

"I don't know."

Then there was a knock at the door.

"Kagome, you've got to answer the door."

Then another knock, which sounded more like banging.

Kagome shook her head.

"Look, I know you didn't want to tell Inuyasha this early into your visit, but you got to open the door and face him."

Kagome felt like she was going to pass out. "Alright, but keep Wyatt with you. I don't want to tell Inuyasha with Wyatt standing there next to me."

"Okay."

After Rin walked back into the living room, Kagome smoothed back her hair and slowly opened the door. "Hi, Inuyasha."

"Kagome? What the hell are you doing here?"

Kagome stepped back and let him in, staying near the door. "I could ask you the same question."

"I came by to see how Sango was doing. Why are you here?" he repeated.

"I live here," Kagome said nervously, not even realizing what she said. The only thing that was going through her mind was her son and how he was going to be affected by this.

"Not anymore you don't," Inuyasha said harshly.

"I mean, I'm here for Rin's wedding and I'm staying here.""Is that the only reason you came back?"

"Yes," Kagome said softly.

"Good," he said coldly. Kagome's head snapped up when she heard the sound of his voice. She wasn't surprised, she just wasn't prepared for it. She at least wanted a few days, maybe a week, to think about what she was going to say to him. "Because you've been gone for four damn years, Kagome. And-"

"I know how long I've been gone, Inuyasha."

"And," he hated being interrupted, "don't think that you can just come back and think that everything will be like it was before you left."

"I didn't think that. I just came back for Rin's wedding, that's all."

"Oh, so you feel like you can be gone for years, then waltz back into everyone's life like nothing happened?"

"I didn't say that, Inuyasha! Stop putting words in my mouth!"

"Why the hell are you back, then, Kagome? You didn't come back for Sango's wedding, why come to Rin's, huh? Did you think that everyone was going to forget what you did? You hurt a lot of people when you left."

"I know I did! But don't you think that this hurts me, too?!"

"Damn it, Kagome. Then why did you leave? Why did you put everyone, including yourself, through that?"

In the living room, the other inhabitants inside of the house sat silently, listening to the conversation get louder and louder. Rin had tears in her eyes, and held onto Wyatt, who was desperately trying to get out of her hold. He wanted his mom. He started thrashing around more, until Rin's arms come loose and he fell to the floor. Rin tried to grab him, but he was faster then her.

"I didn't have a choice!" Kagome yelled.

"Mommy!" Wyatt ran out of the living room and hugged her leg.

Kagome gasped and looked down at her son. Eyes filling with tears, she slowly looked back at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha looked at the boy, who looked just like Kagome, in disbelief. Mommy? How can she have a son? Is she with someone now? He looked more closely at Wyatt. Wait a minute, he looks like he's older about three years old. Either she got with someone right after she left, which was something she wouldn't do, knowing that it could ruin her chances to be a dancer, or he's older than he looks and she cheated on me. "He's yours?" he questioned, his voice low.

"Yes."

"How old is he?"

Kagome's eyes widened. "What? Why?"

"Just answer the damn question, Kagome."

"He's four."

All the anger Inuyasha felt before was nothing to compared to what he felt now. "He's the reason you left, isn't he?'

"Yes."

"Kagome, how could you? How the hell could you cheat on me?!"

"Cheat on you?! I never cheated on you!"

"How can you stand there and lie to me?"

Kagome couldn't take it anymore. She threw up her hands and froze the room.

When Rin, Sango and Miroku didn't hear anymore yelling, they slowly walked into the main hall. They all blanched when they saw that Kagome had frozen Inuyasha and Wyatt.

"Kagome, unfreeze them!" Rin shrieked.

"No." She picked up Wyatt, which caused him to unfreeze, and walked to the stairs. "I'm not going to talk to him until he calms down." She made her way up the stairs, very quickly, and went to her room, locking the door behind her. She quickly cast an anti-shimmering spell to keep Inuyasha from getting in if he tried.

Rin sighed and walked over to Inuyasha. She shook his arm and he unfroze. Confused, he looked at the place where Kagome was and then to Rin. "She froze me, didn't she?"

Rin nodded.

"Damn it! Where is she?"

"Inuyasha, maybe you should calm down, then talk to her," Rin suggested.

"No, I need to talk to her now!" He yelled.

Rin jumped. "She went upstairs. She's staying in the guest room."

Inuyasha ran up the stairs using his youkai speed. He tried to open the door, but found it locked. He then tried to shimmer into the room, but found out he couldn't do that, either. "Kagome! I know you're in there! Open the damn door!"

"No! I'm not gonna talk to you until you calm down!" Wyatt started to cry, getting scared because of all the yelling. "Oh, sweetie, it's okay." Kagome started crying. This was not how I wanted Inuyasha to find out.

"Calm down! How the hell do you expect me to calm down? I just found out that you cheated on me and had a kid. And that you lied to me for four damn years!"

Kagome set Wyatt on the bed. "Just sit on the bed, okay?" Kagome walked over to the door. "I didn't cheat on you, Inuyasha."

"Kagome, just tell me the truth. Who was it? Why did you do it?"

Kagome was done trying to tell him, she was going to show him. She reversed the concealment spell on Wyatt. "Inuyasha, for the last time! I didn't cheat on you!" She threw open the door and stepped aside to he could see Wyatt. "He's your son!"


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A/N:
Well, here's ch 4. My longest chapter yet! I hope you like it.
Thank you to those who reviewed!


PLEASE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer:
I do not own Inuyasha.
I do not take credit for the "spells" writen in this chapter. They were written by the writers from Charmed.