InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Chapter 1 A First Date ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(* ) a dream/vision
(~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


Kagome Higurashi sat in her usual seat in the second row of her anatomy class, for her final exam. She expected to do well.

She didn’t know if she wanted to be a doctor, or a nurse, or some other related profession, but she had always been drawn to healing. She supposed it was because of her powers as a miko.

She looked up as the teaching assistant passed out the exams.

He smiled at her.

Kagome didn’t know why, but she felt drawn to him. Of course it was just a silly fantasy. She didn’t know if he realized that she could see through his concealment spell or not. Since she had never learned to use her miko powers they were not often detected by demons, and he was only a hanyou.

He was about a head taller than she and had the most beautiful amber eyes. She knew many of the girls in her class had a crush on him. They were always asking him for private help after class, but to her knowledge he always declined their veiled invitations.

Kagome glanced up.

He was looking at her again.

She blushed a little and smiled, before returning to her exam. She wondered why he didn’t also conceal the color of his hair. It was silver and long… much longer than the fashion of the times.

Kagome shook her head to clear it. She needed to focus on her test. She was only a year away from completing her degree.

She needed to get the best grades or her scholarship could be revoked. It paid for every thing including her housing, which was an apartment off campus, because student housing was full. She paid the rent and her roommate Sango paid Kagome her share in cash, so that Kagome could have some spending money. To earn any other money she might need, she worked at the on campus daycare two days a week.


What is it about her? he wondered. Sure she was beautiful, but there were a lot of beautiful girls that weren’t students in the class he assisted in. InuYasha Taisho couldn’t understand why but he was drawn to her. There was no shortage of girls asking him out, but he almost always politely declined their offers, and since he had first seen her almost always had turned into always. He had spent the last four months waiting for the class to end, so he could ask her out without breaking the rules that forbid him from consorting with a student in his class.

InuYasha was more than a little nervous. Four months was a long time to convince yourself that you don’t have a chance, and that you’re not good enough. However he held out hope that her shy blushes and smiles she directed at him, when she caught him looking at her, meant that she at least felt some manner of attraction for him. She was the best student in the class and he hoped that she would be the last to finish her exam as she usually was.

Now all he had to do was wait.

*****

When she next glanced at the clock, letting her mind wander, she had finished her exam and saw that it was nearly time to leave. Most of the other students had finished long ago, but she liked to be thorough. One day it might be vitally important that she knew the answer to one of these questions perfectly. She got up and placed her exam on the professor’s desk.

“Ah, Ms. Higurashi it has been a pleasure to have you in my class. I am expecting exemplary work as usual,” her professor said.

Kagome blushed. “Thank you, but I fear I owe most of it to having such a good teacher.”

Coming from any other student it might have sounded false, but he knew she meant every word. “Thank you as well Ms. Higurashi. I hope to see you next term in my more advanced class.”


Kagome smiled and nodded. When she stepped out in the hall she ran into someone.

“I’m sorry,“ she said and looked up. At first she was shocked by his appearance before coming to her senses and remembering why he was there. “Mr. Tashio. Excuse me.”

He just smiled.

“It was my fault,” he said. “And you can drop that Mr. Tashio business, that’s my brother not me. We’re not in class anymore, so call me InuYasha.”

“I always wondered,” she said vaguely.

“What’s that?” he asked.

Her cheeks flushed. She hadn’t meant to say that out loud.

“It’s nothing. I just wondered what kind of hanyou you must be to have those cute ears, but I am assuming from your name that you are Inu Hanyou,” she rambled, and then slapped her hand to her mouth. Why was she telling him all these things she never meant to say?

“How did you... It’s not working?” he said. “I have to go.”

“Wait,” she called.

He turned back.

She realized he must have thought his concealment spell failed. “It’s working. I can just tell.”

“Are you a miko?” he asked.

“I never trained, but I have some spiritual powers,” she said. “It was nice talking to you, but I have to go. I am starved and I only an hour before I have to get to work.”


“Would you mind if I joined you?” he asked quietly. He had been waiting all semester to ask her out. Of course he hadn’t anticipated that she would know he was a hanyou. He braced himself for rejection.


Is he asking me out? He looks like he’s just waiting for me to say no, or laugh, or something.

Kagome supposed it was hard being a half demon. She rarely saw any and most often, they looked lonely. She suspected they weren’t really accepted by human or demons.

“I wouldn’t mind at all,” she replied.

“Well, okay then I guess...” InuYasha started. He looked at her. She was smiling. “You said it was okay, didn’t you?”

She saw his cheeks flush. “Come on. I don’t have much time, remember?” she laughed.

*****

They went to a small café just off campus. Once they had their food, they found an empty table by the window and sat down. He seemed to relax a little now that he was sure, she hadn’t been teasing him about lunch.

They started talking and both found the conversation pleasant. He was shy and a little awkward around her, but in an endearing way.

InuYasha listened mostly as Kagome carried the conversation. He felt different around her.

Since he had first seen her in class he had known she was special. She didn’t seem to care at all that he was a half demon.

*****

Kagome looked at her watch. Time had flown by and she was going to be late if she didn’t hurry.

She got up to leave. “I’m sorry, I have to go. I should have left five minutes ago,” she said. “It was nice talking to you.”

“Uh, Kagome,” he said, “do you think... Well, could I call you sometime?”

Kagome smiled. She pulled a piece of paper out of her notebook, wrote down her number, and handed it to him.

“I’d like that,” she said. “Bye.”


He waved and stared at the piece of paper in his hand and smiled. He was glad he had decided to put aside his doubts and ask her. Since it was the end of term, if he hadn’t, he might not have seen her again for a while.

*****

Kagome went to work with a smile that no one could ignore. She had gone out with several guys and they were all nice, except Kouga, but this time it had been different. She felt something when she was with him, like she had known him for a long time.

“You look like you’ve had a good day so far,” Yuka said, when Kagome came in.

Kagome shrugged.

“Oh no you don’t. I know that look. You met a guy.” Kagome didn’t deny it and Yuka persisted. “Who is he?”

“Well he was the teaching assistant in my anatomy class,” Kagome said.

“You mean the one with those strange eyes and that long silver hair?” Yuka asked.

Kagome nodded.

“Eri said her never goes out with anyone, and she asked around, a lot. What happened?”

“Nothing. We had lunch together and he asked if he could call me. It’s no big deal,” Kagome told her.

“Sure it isn’t,” Yuka laughed. “Well I have to go to my next exam. Have fun watching the little monsters.”

Kagome went in and sat with her group of kids. Yuka didn’t know how close to the truth she really was. Of the six kids in her group three were youkai.

“All right, who wants to read a story?” she asked.

All of the kids jumped to sit in her lap and Kagome laughed.

*****

Kagome got off work at six and went home. As usual Sango was out, probably at the college. She taught a self-defense class in the evenings. Kagome hadn’t gotten around to taking it yet, though Sango kept bothering her about it.

She went to her room and changed into a pair of sweats.

Kagome went to the kitchen, opened the refrigerator and decided on some left over oden. While it was heating she fixed herself a glass of water.

The phone rang.

“Hello,” she said.

“Um, can I speak to Kagome please?” a hesitant male voice asked.

“This is Kagome,” she replied.

“It’s InuYasha,” he said.

“Oh, hi. I wasn’t expecting you to call so soon,” she said. “Not that I mind. I was about to have dinner.”

“Sorry to bother you,” he said.

“It’s no bother,” she told him.

“I was just calling to see if you might want to go out Friday, if you’re free. I know it’s short notice and all,” InuYasha stammered.

It was short notice, but she wasn’t doing anything. “Did you want to meet some where?”

“I could pick you up, if you don’t mind,” he replied. “It’s up to you.”

Kagome gave him her address. “What time?” she asked.

“How about seven?” he suggested.

“All right,” she replied.

“Well, I’ll let you get back to your dinner. I’ll see you Friday. Bye,” he said.

“Bye,” she finished and hung up. She couldn’t help the smile that crossed her face.

*****

Thursday morning Kagome got up and dressed to go into work.

The day had been going well, when around lunchtime Kouga showed up. He strolled inside. “Ah, my Kagome, how are you doing?”

“I was doing great until you showed up,” she replied, turning away from him.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her to face him. “That’s no way to talk to your future mate.”

“Let me go,” she said.


InuYasha was on his way to his car when he saw Kagome through the window. He hadn’t known she worked on campus. He wasn’t sure he should stop in and see her until he saw that she looked distressed. Some guy was holding her hand and she was trying to pull away. He went inside.

“Kouga, let go of my hand,” she said.

“Not without a kiss,” he replied.

“She said hands off, wolf,” InuYasha growled.


Kagome felt relief wash over her at InuYasha’s appearance. She didn’t know why him being there would comfort her so much. She had dealt with Kouga plenty of times on her own.

“Mind your own business, mutt,” Kouga said.

InuYasha stepped between Kagome and Kouga, forcing him to release her hand.

“It is my business. She obviously doesn’t want you touching her like that,” InuYasha told him.

“Careful who you speak to like that, dog turd. I’m sure no one would care if the world was less one half-breed,” Kouga said.

“Ha, I knew wolves were stupid,” InuYasha laughed. “If you were with Kagome your own pups would be half-breeds as you so delicately put it.”

“This isn’t over, mutt,” Kouga warned. “I’ll be back for you Kagome. You’re my woman.”

When Kouga was gone InuYasha turned to Kagome. “Are you all right?” he asked.

“I’m fine,” she replied. “He’s always like that, but he’s been worse lately.”

“You need to be careful around him,” InuYasha said.

She nodded.

“Well, I won’t keep you. I just wanted to stop in and say hi.” He headed for the door.

“InuYasha,” she called.

He turned back.

“Thanks.”

He nodded and left.

*****

InuYasha drove home. He went inside and sat on the couch. A few hours later Shippou came home. The kid jumped on the sofa beside him.

“Oi, kid easy on the furniture,” InuYasha said.

Shippou was an orphan, just like him. The kid’s parents had been murdered, just like his own. The young kitsune’s parents had been close friends of the family and had named him and his brother guardians for the little boy. InuYasha didn’t know why but he had agreed to take the kit in. Shippou wasn’t really a bad kid, just a little annoying, but he knew he wasn’t always fun to live with, so they got along in a weird sort of way.

“Ken’s mom is sick, I can’t stay over at his house tomorrow,” Shippou said.

“Damn it,” InuYasha growled.

“What is it?” Shippou asked.

“I had plans,” he said. “I guess I’ll have to cancel.”

“I’m sorry,” Shippou offered.

“It’s not your fault his mother is sick,” he replied. “I just hope she’ll agree to go out with me again after I cancel our first date.”

“You have a date?” Shippou asked, and InuYasha nodded. “You haven’t gone out with anyone in a long time.”

“Rub it in why don’t you,” he said. “I just haven’t met anyone I wanted to go out with.”

“Then that means you must really like her,” Shippou said. “What’s she like?”

“Enough with the questions runt,” InuYasha growled.

He went to the phone and called Kagome.


Kagome was in the shower and couldn’t hear the phone, so Sango grabbed it. “Hello.”

“Is Kagome in?” InuYasha asked.

“She’s in the shower, who is it?” Sango asked suspiciously. The water stopped running.

“Uh, I’m InuYasha, but I can call back later,” he said.

“Hang on a minute,” Sango told him. He heard Sango talking to Kagome, “It’s an InuYasha for you.”

“I’ll take it, just a sec,” Kagome replied.

“Hello,” Kagome said.

“Hi, is this a bad time?” InuYasha asked.

“No it’s fine,” she said.

“Kagome, I’m sorry, but I have to cancel our date,” he told her.

“Oh...” she said.


InuYasha noted the disappointment in her voice. “I don’t want to but there’s this kid I take care of and he was going to be at a friend’s house for the night, but something came up and he doesn’t have anyone to watch him,” he explained.

“Why don’t you bring him along?” she suggested.

“You’re sure you don’t mind?” he asked.

“Not at all,” she replied. “I like kids. I work at a day care after all. So, will I see you at seven?”

“We’ll be there,” he said. “Bye.”

InuYasha hung up the phone.

“Was she mad?” Shippou asked.

“No,” InuYasha replied. “You know how you asked what she is like?”

The kitsune nodded.

“Well you’ll find out tomorrow. You’re coming with us out to dinner.”

“Really?” Shippou asked.

“Yeah. It was her idea,” he replied.


Kagome didn’t know it but she had just made a big impression on both Shippou and InuYasha. The reason InuYasha rarely went out was because most girls couldn’t handle him taking care of a kid, or they didn’t like Shippou, but Kagome hadn’t even asked why he had a kid. InuYasha would never admit it but he liked the kit and if a girl couldn’t deal with it then she wasn’t the one for him.

Shippou smiled. He had been worried before when InuYasha would go out with girls. They never wanted him around even though he lived here. He was always secretly afraid that one day InuYasha would meet a girl and dump him.

Once, InuYasha brought a girl home that he had been seeing a few weeks, which was a record. The first thing she did when she came over was try and boss him around, telling him to be good and go play in his room. InuYasha had gotten angry and taken her home. Shippou never saw her again.

This girl seemed different. She wanted to meet him, and InuYasha seemed to really like her. Over the next few days he seemed to be in a much better mood.

*****

The next afternoon Kagome spent going through her closet trying to decide what to wear. InuYasha hadn’t said where they were going, but since he was bringing a kid with him, she figured it would be somewhere casual. She really didn’t mind that he had to bring the child with him. He didn’t make it seem like it was his own kid; maybe it was a relative.

She put on a blue skirt and a red short sleeved blouse and decided to leave her hair down.

Kagome was about to put her sandals when she heard a knock at the door.

“Coming,” she called. She put one shoe on and headed for the door. She unlocked it and slipped on the other shoe. At last she opened the door.

InuYasha stood there wearing khaki slacks and a red linen shirt. Next to him was a boy of about ten with red hair and green eyes. She recognized him as a kitsune.

Kagome looked at the boy. “Hi, I’m Kagome. What’s your name?”

“Shippou,” he replied.

“Well Shippou, it would seem that InuYasha had temporarily lost the ability to speak. What do you say, you and I go out?” she said with a laugh.

Shippou laughed with her. He could see why InuYasha liked her. She was beautiful and there was an unmistakable aura of warmth around her.

“I don’t think so,” InuYasha said. “You look nice.”

“Thank you, so do you. So, are we ready?” she asked.

They went downstairs and got in InuYasha’s car.

“So Shippou, you’re a kitsune right?” Kagome asked.

“It’s all right,” InuYasha said. “She’s got miko powers. She can see through our concealment spells.

“So she knows that you’re a hanyou and I’m a demon?” Shippou asked.

“I sure do,” Kagome replied. “So how often do you stay with InuYasha?”

“I live with him,” Shippou said. “He’s my guardian since...” the kit trailed off.

“It’s okay, we don’t have to talk about it,” she said.

“No, I’m all right,” he told her. “It was a long time ago. When my mom and dad were killed InuYasha became my guardian.”

“I’m sorry,” she said sadly. “My dad was killed when I was young and it still upsets me sometimes.”

Shippou nodded.

“So, where are we going to eat?” She wanted to change the subject.

“You’ll see,” InuYasha said. “We’re almost there, anyway.”

*****

They parked and walked a short distance to a restaurant Kagome had never been to. It was called Koki’s House.

“I didn’t know what you liked,” InuYasha explained. “This place has several different kinds of food to choose from.”

They went inside and were seated immediately. The atmosphere was pleasant.

They looked over their menus and InuYasha wanted to see what she would order. He hated girls that always ordered water and a salad and then only ate half of it. He didn’t think Kagome was one of those girls.

She ordered chicken enchiladas, Shippou ordered spaghetti and InuYasha ordered a cheese burger.

As they ate, Kagome spent equal amounts of time talking to both InuYasha and Shippou. She laughed a lot and seemed to understand the teasing between them that was their way of showing each other affection.

By the end of dinner, she had thoroughly captivated both of her male companions.

The check was delivered at the table and Kagome went for her purse.

“Don’t even think about it,” InuYasha said. “I asked you, so I’m paying.”

She was about to protest but thought better of it. “Thank you,” she said.

It was nine by the time they got back to Kagome’s apartment. InuYasha would have like to stay with her longer, but he needed to get Shippou home soon.

Shippou stayed in the car, while he walked her to the door.

“Thank you,” she said. “I had a really good time.”

“Does that mean you’ll go out with me again?” he asked.

Kagome smiled.

He had his hand shoved in his pockets and was looking at the floor in front of him.

“Yes,” she said softly.

“Good night and I’ll call you soon,” he told her. He waited until he heard her lock the door and went back to his car. “Well kid, do I ask her out again or not?”

“You’re an even bigger baka than I thought if you don’t,” Shippou said. “She’s not like other girls.”

“No,” InuYasha said, “she’s not. I take it you like her then?”

“Duh,” Shippou replied. “She pretty and smart, and funny. She’s also nice and we don’t have to hide what we are because she already knows, and she doesn’t care. It feels like I’ve always known her.”

“You too, huh?” InuYasha asked.

“You really like her a lot, don’t you?” Shippou asked.

“Yeah,” InuYasha replied and looked back at the apartments before starting the car, “I do.”