InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ What Freud Would Say ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(** ) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


The next morning Shippou was picked up by his friends to go to a birthday party. He would be gone all day and was staying the night after.

InuYasha wished he had a reason to go see Kagome. He couldn’t very well ask her out for tonight could he. She might think he was desperate.


Kagome got dressed and was going to go down the street to get some lunch from the deli, but she looked around and realized that she couldn’t find her purse. She searched the apartment before deciding to call and see if she had left it in InuYasha’s car.

She laughed at herself.

They say when you forget something like that it means you really want to see that person again. She guessed that it was true.


InuYasha got up to answer the ringing phone. “Hello.”

“InuYasha, its Kagome,” she replied. “Did I leave my purse in your car?”

“Hang on, I’ll check,” he said. Sure enough, he found it under the seat. He thanked Kami for the excuse to go to her house.

He picked up the phone. “Yeah, it’s here. I can bring it by, if you want.”

“You don’t have to go to any trouble,” she said.

“I’m not doing anything else,” he told her. “I’ll be there in about half an hour.”

*****

Kagome sat on the sofa to watch TV until he arrived. She wondered if she should ask him if he wanted to go to lunch with her. She got up when he knocked.

He handed her the purse and she asked him to come in when the phone started to ring.

“Just have a seat while I get that,” she said.

He nodded.

“Hello... oh, hi... no, I can’t. I have plans... all right... bye...” she said and hung up. She gave and exasperated sigh.

“What was that about if you don’t mind my asking?’ InuYasha said.

“Just this guy, Hojo. He won’t stop asking me out. I hate having to lie to him but he won’t take a simple no for an answer. The worst part is he got my number from my grandfather, who keeps trying to set me up,” she told him.

“Well, you wouldn’t have lied if you went out with me today,” he suggested. “After all, I planned on asking you if you wanted to do something when I got here, but the phone rang first. What do you say?”

She smiled. “I’d like that.”

*****

They went out to lunch, and once again, Kagome tried to help pay, but InuYasha refused. After they went for a walk in the park. They found an empty bench and sat down together. Right after they sat down a large black bird flew right past them.

Kagome shivered.

There had been something vaguely familiar about being next to InuYasha and the bird, but she couldn’t quite grasp it.

She looked at him, and he seemed to be thinking about something. “What is it?” she asked.

He turned to her. “Nothing,” he said. “You’ll just think I’m crazy.”

“I won’t,” she assured him.

“Well, since we’ve been spending time together I’ve been having these strange feelings, like just now when the bird flew by; it was like I’d seen it before with you,” he told her.

“You felt it too then?” she asked. “It’s not deja vu, but more like a forgotten memory.”

“Exactly,” he said. “I feel stupid telling you this, since we hardly know each other.”

“But it doesn’t feel that way does it?” she asked.

He shook his head. “Shippou noticed it, too. He told me last night that he felt like he knew you. He really likes you.”

“I like him too,” she said. “What happened to him?”

InuYasha sighed. “Five years ago his parents were murdered. Two men were after his mother. They killed her. His father came upon them and died protecting Shippou. He was there the whole time. His parents were friends of my brother and they named him guardian, but he didn’t want the kid, so I agreed to take him.”

“Five years ago... How old were you? You can’t be more than 25,” she said.

“I’m 23,” he told her.

“You were 18,” she said. “That must have been a big responsibility for you. Why did you do it?”

A pained look crossed his face.

“You don’t have to tell me.”

“It’s all right. It was a long time ago,” he said. “I guess I did it because I didn’t want him to end up like me. You probably don’t know this, but there are still those among youkai that don’t think demons and humans should mix. My father was killed protecting my mother and me when I was only baby.

“Mother and I went away. I didn’t know but she was hiding us. They found us when I was five and killed her too. My bastard brother had no choice but to let me live with him. My father had put it as a clause in his will. Even though I was provided for, I was always alone.”

“That’s terrible,” she said.

He realized he could smell her tears. “Don’t cry,” he told her. “It was a long time ago.”

“No one should have to be alone,” she replied.

“I’m not alone anymore. I have the kid,” he told her.

“Well, now you have me, too,” she said.

He looked at her. “Do I?”

She smiled. “Of course.”

Kagome laughed suddenly. “Well, I sure know how to ruin a wonderful day, don’t I?”

“You didn’t ruin anything. It is nice to have someone to talk to,” he said. “Is there anything else you want to do today?”

“Do you mind if we stay here for a while?” she asked. “I don’t come here enough. Something about being under the trees feels right to me.”

“We can stay as long as you like,” he told her.

*****

They talked for a while and simply enjoyed spending time together.

When it got later and they both got hungry they went out to dinner. InuYasha hoped Kagome was enjoying spending the day with him as much as he was enjoying spending it with her.

“Where is Shippou today?” she asked.

“He went to a birthday for a friend and is sleeping over,” InuYasha told her.

“So you don’t have to leave anytime soon then?” she asked.

“Are you trying to get rid of me, wench?” he teased. He stopped. “I don’t know where that came from.”

“What?” she asked.

“I called you wench,” he told her.

“You did? I didn’t even notice,” she said. “I guess it could have been worse, though. You could have called me something else.” She laughed.

He joined her.

“Nobody has ever made me laugh like you do,” he said abruptly.

She looked at him and smiled. “I guess you’ll have to keep me around then,” she teased.

“Count on it,” he said.

She blushed. “Well, before you insulted me, I was going to ask if you wanted to watch a movie at my place,” she said changing the subject.

He couldn’t tell if she was teasing him, until she smiled. “Maybe you are a wench,” he said. “A sneaky one. If you’re serious about the movie, though, I’d love to.”

*****

They stopped and picked up a movie and went back to her apartment. Sango was just about to leave for her defense class, when they came in.

“So you must be InuYasha,” she said. “I’m Sango, and if you hurt Kagome I’ll hurt you.”

“Sango,” Kagome groaned.

“What? Maybe if I had said that to that bastard Kouga he wouldn’t keep bothering you,” she said. “If he really likes you I won’t be able to scare him off.”

InuYasha laughed. “It’s all right,” he said. “It’s good to know there’s someone looking out for Kagome.”

“You see?” Sango said. “He’s not scared. Well, I’m off, and Kagome, I better see you in my class the next time it starts.”

“All right. Have fun,” Kagome said and Sango left. “Sorry about that. She teaches self defense.”

“Don’t be sorry. She’s your friend and she’s looking out for you,” he said. Then his look turned dark. “I think you should take her class, especially with Kouga after you.”

“Not you, too,” she groaned.

“Kagome I’m serious - Kouga could hurt you,” he said. “No matter what happens with us, I don’t want to see you forced to be with someone you don’t want to.”

She looked at him. “What do you mean?”

“Kagome, if he marks you, you’ll be his forever,” InuYasha said. “Forced mating is frowned on, but it still happens.”

“You think he would...” she trailed off.

“I didn’t say anything before, but I smelled it on him, and you,” he said. “He was scent marking you as his intended when I came in.”

“Can we not talk about this now?” she asked. “I’d rather not think about Kouga when I’m supposed to be enjoying my time with you.”

“Of course. I’m sorry,” he said. “I’ll put in the movie.”

Kagome got a couple of cokes and turned off the light, before sitting beside him on the sofa. He had his arms spread out over the back.

She leaned against him.

He looked at her and saw she was blushing at her own bold gesture. He slid an arm down around her.

*****

Half way into the movie Kagome was asleep. When the movie finished, he didn’t have the heart to wake her. He didn’t think she would be mad of he accidentally fell asleep as well.

**

She was standing in front of a tree. There was a bare spot and in the center was a small hole. She recognized it was the tree that stood at the shrine her family lived in as she grew up, but none of the buildings were there.

She touched the trunk, and a vision flashed in her mind. She was standing a few feet away from the tree and InuYasha was there, pinned to the trunk by an arrow. She went to touch the tree again but it was gone.
**

InuYasha found himself in blackness. Even his hanyou eyes could not discern a trace of light. He couldn’t move. It was as if he was suspended in time. Then there was a light it was growing stronger and he could hear a voice. A girl.

He opened his eyes.

She was there.

Kagome.

He started to speak but the vision disappeared.

**

InuYasha woke with a start, and in the process woke Kagome.

“Did I fall asleep?” she asked.

“I must have, too,” he told her.

She switched on a lamp.

He looked at his watch. It was after midnight.

“Something is bothering you,” she said.

“It was just a dream,” he said, as if he was trying to convince himself of that very thing.

“What was it about?” she asked.

“It was strange. At first it was dark and I couldn’t move, but then I saw a light. I opened my eyes and it was you standing there looking at me. I went to say something and them I woke up,” he told her.

“No stranger than mine,” she said. “I was standing in front of the sacred tree at the shrine my family lives at, but it was before the shrine was built and when I touched the tree I saw you pinned to it, like you were sleeping. It felt like a memory.”

“Maybe it was,” he said.

“How?” she asked.

“I don’t know, but I do know that with mikos and demons, stranger things have happened,” he told her. “Well, I should go.”

He got up and headed for the door.

She went with him. “I had a great time today.”

“Me, too,” he agreed. “I’ll call you. We can go out this weekend if I can find someone to watch the kid, or I guess he can tag along.”

She nodded.

“Kagome, I...” Just do it, baka. He put his hand to the side of her face and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

He was worried that she’d be mad, but she looked up at him and smiled. She was blushing deeply.

“Good night,” she said.

“Goodnight,” he replied and he left.


Kagome closed the door and locked it. She turned around and sighed. How could one small kiss make her feel so overwhelmed? It had hardly lasted a second, but it had scent a chill down her spine. She stood up from the wall and went to bed.

*****

She got up the next morning and dressed for work. Summer classes were starting and she had volunteered to have a rotating schedule at the day care to get more hours over the summer.

She was working at the front desk when the door opened. She stood without looking up. “Can I help you?” she asked.

“What, no hello nice to see you?” InuYasha teased.

She looked at him. “Oh it’s you,” she replied.

“Happy to see me then, are we?” he asked.

“Sorry. It’s been a rough day. Someone didn’t show up, so I’ve been busy,” she told him. “So what brings you here?”

“I was dropping off the graded exams for you class,” he replied. “I saw you and decided to say hi. I guess you’re too busy for lunch then?”

“Unfortunately,” she said. “I doubt I’ll even get to take a break before I get off.”

“Do you want to know what you got on the exam?” he asked.

“Are you supposed to tell me?” she asked.

“Not really, but no one will know,” he told her.

“All right,” she said.

“Well, the professor will review the grades I assigned but you scored a 96. The highest in the class. Though, the professor will probably raise your grade. I’m tougher than he is,” InuYasha told her. “Well, I’ll leave so you can get back to work, but I’ll talk to you later.”

Kagome went back to work. Yuka better really be sick. She sighed, as her stomach growled. To think I could be having lunch with InuYasha and instead I have to be here, starving.

She started as a bag landed in front of her and she looked up. “You scared me.”

“I thought you might be hungry,” InuYasha replied. “I brought what you ordered when we went to lunch that first day. I hope that’s all right.”

She smiled. “You didn’t have to do that, but thank you. I was just thinking about how hungry I was. I almost forgot. I have something for you.” She handed him a list of names and numbers. “Everyone on that list came recommended by one of the parents as a good person to watch kids. They might already be busy this weekend, but I thought you might find it useful in the future.”

“Thanks,” he said. “I’ll call you later.”

She nodded.


InuYasha found himself no longer disappointed that she couldn’t have lunch. She had gone out of her way to find him people who could watch Shippou, which meant that at least sometime, she wanted to go out with him alone.

*****

That week, Kagome and InuYasha went to lunch twice and made a date for Saturday, on which Shippou would be joining them.

They showed up at her apartment at one and went to lunch.

“What do you want to do today?” InuYasha asked as they finished their meal.

“I did need to stop somewhere and get a present for my younger brother’s birthday next week,” she said.

They went to a few stores so Kagome could find something to get Souta, and she finally ended up getting him a video game that he had been wanting. After that, Kagome finally managed to get to pay for something when she suggested ice cream, though only for her and Shippou.

They decided to walk around some more, since no one could think of anything specific to do. Finally, they came upon an arcade.

Shippou looked at InuYasha.

“Shippou, I don’t think-” InuYasha started.

“Why not?” Kagome asked. “It could be fun. I don’t remember the last time did something like this.”

“Well, can we?” Shippou asked.

“I guess since I don’t seem to have a choice,” InuYasha grumbled. He handed Shippou some money and the boy ran inside.

“Come on,” Kagome said. “I bet I can kick your butt at every game here.”

She pulled him inside.

*****

True to her word, Kagome beat InuYasha almost every time she played him.

When Shippou ran out of money, he went to watch Kagome and InuYasha. Occasionally, Kagome would bump him while they played, and InuYasha would say something about her cheating.

“You know, Kagome,” Shippou said, “you’re pretty good. I get tired of playing InuYasha. He never wins.”

InuYasha, defeated again, quit. “Maybe I’m nice and I let you win?” he offered.

“I don’t think so, or else you wouldn’t get mad and quit all the time,” Shippou said.

Kagome tried not to laugh.

“If you’re so good runt, you come play with her,” he told him.

Kagome and Shippou were about equally matched.

“Souta my brother is really good at these games, maybe you should come to his party with me, if it’s okay with InuYasha. He’s a little older than you, but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind,” Kagome suggested.

“Can I?” Shippou asked.

“You know InuYasha if it isn’t too weird for you to meet my family so soon, you could come too,” she said.

“When do we pick you up?” He asked.

Kagome smiled. “The party is next Sunday at three, but I was going to try and get there early to help my mother. If we could leave by one that would be great.”

“One it is,” he said.

*****

After the arcade they went to dinner and then back to InuYasha’s to watch movies.

Halfway through the second movie both Kagome and Shippou were asleep. InuYasha looked at them, and something tugged at the back of his mind.

Shippou had fallen over and his head was in Kagome’s lap. One of her hands was laid across Shippou and her head was resting against his chest.

InuYasha couldn’t help but feeling like they had all been together like this before.

Shippou started whining softly and Kagome’s arm tightened around him, distress clearly written across her face.

“Kagome,” InuYasha said softly, putting his hand to her face. “Wake up.”

She stirred slightly.

“Kagome.”

She opened her eyes. “Did I fall asleep again?”

“Yeah. I guess I’m not very good company,” he teased.

She shook her head. “You know that’s not it.”

“Are you going to tell me?” he asked.

“What?” she replied.

“What you and the kid were dreaming about?” he asked. “You both looked upset, that’s why I woke you.”

“Have you ever heard of something called Shikon shards?” she asked.

“No,” he replied.

“I was with Shippou. He was younger - about five - and we were going after two demon brothers who killed his parents. They said something about wanting Shikon shards and they were going to kill us, but we were saved by a blue fire,” she told him.

“The blue fire could have been fox fire,” he told her. “It’s part of kitsune magic.”

Kagome looked at the time. “I should go,” she said.

“Of course,” InuYasha said. “I’ll wake the kid and we can go.”

“I don’t want to wake him,” she said. “I’ll call Sango and see if she can come get me.”

“You could stay in the spare room and I’ll take you home in the morning,” he told her, “or you can take my car.”

“I don’t think I can drive,” she told him.

“Come on then,” he said. He led her to a door across from the living room. “You can stay in here. I’ll be back in a minute with something you can change into.”

Kagome nodded.


She felt a little uncomfortable staying at his house. They had only been seeing each other a short while. She knew he wouldn’t do anything, but it still seemed like she as doing something wrong.

InuYasha came back and handed her a pair of cotton shorts and a T-shirt.

“Thank you,” she said softly.

“I won’t be offended if you lock the door,” he told her. “I’m sure Shippou won’t mind if I wake him to take you home.”

“No, it’s all right,” she replied. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” he said, and she shut the door.