InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ What do you Know? ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(** ) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


The next morning InuYasha woke before Kagome and left her room, to spare her any embarrassment she might feel.

He wanted to ask her what she had dreamed that had affected her so, but he figured she would tell him about it when she was ready.

*****

Kagome woke up. Her dream came back to her and she shuddered.

She was relieved that InuYasha was gone. She couldn’t believe she had asked him to stay with her over a nightmare, a silly dream.

But it wasn’t a dream.

It was a warning.

Kagome knew it.

It was the same way she knew that something was coming and she needed to remember this other life to prepare her for it.

She felt it hanging over her.

Kagome got up and took a shower in the bathroom that was connected to the guestroom. She dressed and went to living room, where InuYasha was sitting eating ramen. She wondered if he would say anything about last night, but he didn’t.

*****

He took her home, and walked her to her apartment.

The door was ajar.

InuYasha grabbed Kagome and pulled her behind him. “I smell wolf,” he said. “Stay behind me.”

He felt her put her hand on his shoulder and they went inside.

They didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

InuYasha was sure that Kouga was gone, but he wasn’t going to take any chances. He led the way to her room and opened the door.

Her clothes were all over the room and her mattress had been torn open. On top of the mess was a note:

~~I will have you. Don’t think for a moment that your half-dog can keep you safe. You’re my woman, Kagome. MINE. He can’t watch you all the time and then I’ll have you. Tell that mutt I’m coming for him too. No one takes what’s mine.~~

InuYasha shredded the note with his claws.

Sango came up behind them. “Kagome, how... What happened?”

“Kouga,” Kagome said. “Sango, I’m going to have to move.”

“Kagome, you don’t have to leave,” Sango told her. “I’m not afraid of that bastard. Miroku can put up some ofudas to keep him out.”

Kagome shook her head. “I think I should go live with InuYasha.”

InuYasha looked at her in surprise. “You don’t have to. Sango is right. Miroku has more than enough power to set up protection from Kouga.”

She shook her head again. “Then you and Shippou wouldn’t be able to come over, and he knows where I’ll be. Miroku can’t put ofudas around the whole area. Unless you changed your mind?”

InuYasha shook his head.

“Then it’s settled. I’ll start packing now. What’s left, that is,” she sighed.

“You’re really going to leave me at the mercy of that hentai?” Sango asked. “With you gone I won’t have any reason to tell him he can’t move in. Besides, I’ll need him to make rent.”

“I’m sorry,” Kagome told her, “but look at it this way: you can keep a closer eye on him now.”

Sango laughed. “I guess you’re right about that. Let me help you.”

Kagome nodded.

They packed her things and InuYasha loaded them into his car.

Sango hugged Kagome. “I’ll still see you, right?”

“Of course,” Kagome replied.

InuYasha stepped back inside. “Yeah, call us and we’ll go out to dinner- if you can get that pervert to behave in public.”

Kagome spent a few more minutes talking to Sango. She wanted to make sure that her mother wouldn’t find out just yet about the move and what happened with Kouga.

Finally, they got into the car and drove back to InuYasha’s house.

*****

InuYasha helped Kagome get her stuff inside and left her to unpack while he went to see his bastard brother. He hoped his brother’s vile mate wasn’t home. He knocked, which was more courtesy than he thought they deserved. He had to fight the urge to growl when she answered the door.

“Well, if it isn’t the half-breed. Come to mingle among your betters?” Kagura asked tauntingly. “What do you want?”

“Listen, I’m really not in the mood for your shit right now. I need to talk to Sesshomaru,” he said.

“I’ll see if he’s in for you-” she started.

InuYasha pushed past her and made his way to his brother’s study. He opened the door and stormed in.

“Ah, InuYasha,” Sesshomaru said. “To what do I owe the displeasure?”

InuYasha hated this, really hated this. He never asked his brother for anything if he could help it and the bastard always made things difficult. “I need to know what you can find out about a wolf demon called Kouga,” InuYasha replied.

“Why?” Sesshomaru asked.

“None of your damn business,” InuYasha growled.

“If I am going to expend my time and resources I want to know why,” Sesshomaru told him.

“He’s a bastard, that’s why,” InuYasha said at last. “He’s trying to take something that doesn’t belong to him.”

“It would not happen to be the human you reek of, would it?” Sesshomaru asked.

“You asked and I told you. Now are you going to do it or not?” he asked in reply.

“If I do this I will expect you to be attentive to your duties, which you have been neglecting. You will attend the formal banquet and act the part,” Sesshomaru said. “Half-breed though you are, you are still brother to the Lord of the Western Lands. It is this Saturday night at seven. Dress formal and you will have a date of appropriate standing. Agreed?”

“’Appropriate standing’?” InuYasha asked.

“Yes. This pathetic human girl will not be acceptable,” Sesshomaru said.

“Fuck that,” InuYasha replied. “I can’t take anyone besides my mate. Besides, she’s no pathetic human. She’s a miko.”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. “You have not mated,” he said. “I would be able to smell it on you.”

“She’s marked,” InuYasha replied.

“Since she is a miko, I will allow it,” he said. “I will let you know if I find anything about this wolf. Now leave. Kagura hates it when you are here too long. She has to have the whole floor cleaned to get rid of your smell.”

“Bastard,” InuYasha growled before leaving and returning to his own house, where Kagome was.

*****

She was sitting on the couch when he came in. “Where were you?” she asked.

“I had to go talk to my brother,” he said. “Come on. We have to go shopping.”

“What for?” she asked.

“I’m guessing you don’t have anything formal enough to wear at a black tie event, and neither do I,” he told her. She looked at him curiously. “I’ll explain on the way.”

*****

He took her to one of the finest stores in the city.

The clerk came up to them and looked them both over. “Are you sure there is something I can assist you with?” she said in a tone that clearly stated that she didn’t think they were in the right place.

“You can assist me by having someone more important than you come see to our needs,” InuYasha replied.

The woman looked like she had been slapped in the face. She went to the back and a different woman returned.

The new woman took one look at InuYasha and apologized for the clerk’s behavior. Kagome could tell that the woman was a youkai.

“Forgive her, Mr. Taisho,” she said. “I am Suki. I will assist you personally. What do you need?”

“We are both in need of formal attire for an event this weekend,” he said. “I don’t need to tell you what is expected.”

“Of course not, sir,” she replied. “If you’ll both follow me.”


InuYasha noticed Kagome’s obvious discomfort. He took her hand.

The clerk led them to a special room in the back reserved for their most important customers and made some selections for them to look at. She returned with dresses in a variety of colors and styles. InuYasha watched Kagome for any sign that she might like one of the dresses. When Suki came to a red halter dress with a short train he stopped her.

“Let’s see that one,” he said. “If it’s all right with you?”

Kagome blushed and nodded.


She followed Suki behind a curtain, where she helped her put on the dress. Kagome looked in the mirror and didn’t recognize herself.

“Don’t worry,” Suki said softly. “He’ll love it. It looks like that dress was made for you.”

Kagome stepped out. InuYasha didn’t say anything. “Well?” she asked nervously.

“Do you like it?” he asked.

She nodded slightly.

“So do I.” He looked at Suki. “Well take that one. I want a tux with a vest and tie to match, but not a bow tie.”

“Very well sir,” Suki said. “I assume you know the measurements you will require?”

*****

A short while later, they left the store with their clothes and returned to his house. Kagome made lunch for them.

“I just realized I never asked if you wanted to go with me,” he said. “I don’t really want to go but I have to if I want Sesshomaru to find out what he can about Kouga. So do you?”

“I don’t mind going, since I‘ll get to be with you,” she replied.

He smiled at her. “Do you think your mother would keep Shippou?”

“I don’t see why not. I’ll call and ask her tonight,” Kagome replied.

*****

They just hung out until Shippou got home, and later they ordered dinner.

When it got late, Kagome went to her room for bed.

She was glad that she had asked for the week off at work to give her face and arm time to heal. She did not want to get up early, and was surprised how tired she was.

Kagome guessed it was from all the stress she had been under lately, and she fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

*****

She woke up sweating with tears streaming down her face. She was glad she hadn’t screamed and woken everyone up this time.

That same horrible dream haunted her.

Kagome lay down, but every time she closed her eyes she saw the lifeless bodies of her friends. She couldn’t explain her motivation, but she knew it would all go away if she went to InuYasha. She hoped he wouldn’t get mad at her for waking him.


InuYasha heard his door open and a familiar scent crept in. He could soon smell salty tears and he sat up. “What’s wrong Kagome?” he asked.

“I had that dream again and I can’t get back to sleep,” she said softly. “Can I... I mean would you…”

“Come here,” he said knowing what she wanted. He moved over to make room for her beside him. When she laid down he put his arms around her and kissed her forehead lightly. She cried softly in his arms. “It’s all right now,” he growled softly and soon she was asleep.

*****

The next night he woke to the same situation as the night before and once again he held her until she fell asleep. The third night when she came in he decided to say something.

“Kagome, You don’t have to ask if you can come in here with me,” he said softly. “Remember: to me this is where you belong. It might help if you told me about it.”

I can’t,” she replied. “Not yet.”

“All right,” he sighed. “Try to get some sleep.”

*****

Thursday was the same as the previous nights, only this time she climbed into his bed without a word.

*****

Friday came and Kagome decided that she was being ridiculous. She couldn’t go on like this. She had to tell someone and she knew he would understand. She went to his room.

“InuYasha,” she said softly. “I want to tell you about it now. If that’s all right?”

“Of course it is,” he replied.

She told him about her dream. How terrible it was to go to sleep every night and see people you care about dead, especially in since they seemed to have died in such a terrible manner. He stroked her hair softly.

“The worst part is that it doesn’t feel like a dream at all,” she cried. “It happened. I know it did, and I think I have to remember to keep it from happening again. Something bad is coming. I can feel it.”

InuYasha wasn’t an expert on mikos, but he knew that a rare few were shown visions to aid them in their duties.

He also trusted Kagome. She wasn’t the only one who felt like something bad was going to happen.

“Everything will be all right,” he said, trying to convince both her and himself.

“InuYasha?” she asked.

“What?” he replied.

“I just wanted to thank you,” she said.

“Why?” he asked.

“For being so understanding,” she said.

This last week had shown her just how much he cared. When she had been upset and venerable he never once tried to take advantage of her. He never so much as tried to kiss her when she came to him. During the day, he would often come up to her and wrap his arms around her or kiss her, but never when she was upset.

“Keh,” he replied. “Go to sleep.”

*****

The next afternoon, they dropped Shippou off at the shrine.

Asami Higurashi had learned of the young fox demon’s fondness for pocky and she had a plan. She wanted to know exactly what was going on with her daughter. She led the kit into her kitchen.

“Shippou, I have a proposition for you,” she said. “I know that Kagome can’t possibly be out every time I call her at her apartment. I also noticed the scratches on her arm and the bite on her neck. I want you to tell me everything you know and I’ll make it worth your while,”

“I don’t know,” Shippou said. He didn’t want Kagome or InuYasha to get mad at him. To him they were his parents.

“Don’t worry about them finding out, I can keep a secret if you can,” Asami told him, holding out a box of pocky.

Shippou decided that if Kagome was his mother then that made Asami his grandmother and he could trust her. Besides, he really liked Pocky. He took the box and told her everything.


When InuYasha and Kagome got home, there was an envelope taped to his door. They went inside and he opened it.

~~The wolf demon is the leader of the wolf demon tribe. A weak clan with little power. His claim would have no standing over your own based on youkai rank, despite your tainted blood. I am calling him in to my office to see if he can be reasoned with.

Do not forget your obligation. Expect a car to arrive at 6:15 to take you to the banquet, and remember what is expected of you
.~~

It was signed with the seal of his family.

InuYasha was not at all pleased that Sesshomaru was bringing that wolf to his house. If he had any kind of nose he would know Kagome was some where close by. He growled.

“What’s wrong?” Kagome asked.

“Nothing,” he replied more harshly than he had intended.

“Oh, all right,” she said softly.

“Kagome, I’m sorry. My brother is a baka. He did something stupid and I was upset about that,” he told her. “We have to be ready to go by six, all right?”

She nodded.

*****

That night they arrived the banquet at exactly seven.

Kagome couldn’t help but notice as both humans and demons alike bowed slightly as their approach. She was surprised when InuYasha led her to the head table and they found their seats.

She couldn’t wait to ask him any longer. It had been bothering her since that day at the shop when they bought their clothes.

“InuYasha, why does everyone seem to know you and treat you so formally?”

“I hoped you wouldn’t ask,” he sighed. “My brother is the demon Lord of the Western Lands. He‘s the highest ranking youkai in Japan since the time my father was killed.”

“But that makes you-” she started.

“It makes me nothing,” he said. “I’m just his half-breed younger brother, a worthless hanyou that they are forced to accept. The only reason they act like that is because despite how much he hates me, Sesshomaru won’t allow anyone to dishonor our family.”

She looked at him. She could tell he really didn’t want to be here. “You’re not any of that to me,” she said softly and smiled. “To me, you’re just InuYasha.”

He looked at her. “I know and I can’t tell you how happy that makes me,” he told her.

Soon the tables filled.

Kagome noticed that most gathered were youkai, but that several were humans she recognized as government officials.

*****

At seven thirty, a tall youkai with silver hair nearly reaching the floor and InuYasha’s amber eyes, took a seat in the middle of the table. There was no mistaking him as InuYasha’s brother. He gave a short speech about the importance of continued cooperation between humans and youkai and the meal began.

She was more than a little uncomfortable to be sitting in front of everyone else. Sesshomaru was obviously considered the most important person in the room. InuYasha reached under the table and squeezed her hand gently. At least he doesn’t want to be here any more than I do.

After dinner the party moved into an adjoining hall for both dancing and mingling of those in attendance.

InuYasha pulled her off to the side. “We have to stay until at least ten and then we can go,” he told her. “I’m sorry to have dragged you here.”

“It’s all right,” she said. “I’m going to go to the bathroom.”

He nodded. “I’ll be over by the bar.”

Kagome went to the ladies room and it was empty when she entered. She went into one of the stalls and sat down. She didn’t have to go to the bathroom. She just wanted to get away from everyone for a few minutes. While Kagome was there, several women came in. She could tell by their auras that they were demons.

“Did you hear that pompous fool talking about youkai and human cooperation?” one asked. “As if having to live in hiding should make us happy.”

“I know,” another said. “And did you see that the half-breed actually showed up- with a human, no less! Disgusting. Though, he is handsome.”

The first woman laughed. “You did always like slumming. I suppose he’d be good for a fling. I hear Inus have great stamina. Though from what I hear, they won’t be around much longer for us to try and find out.”

“What have you heard?” the second asked
.

“A powerful demon is organizing. He wants to bring youkai out into the open and he’s preparing to fight for it. Soon, humans will be no more than house pets. It’s a shame he’s a purist. I could use a lap dog,” the other laughed.

Kagome waited until she was sure they were gone before coming out of the stall. She studied her own face in the mirror. She had a feeling that what she had just overheard was the key to what she was preparing for by reliving the horrible past in her memories. Kagome left the restroom to find InuYasha.

He wasn’t at the bar.

She started scanning the room when someone grabbed her and pulled her back into a dark corner. The hand over her mouth kept her from screaming