InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Reviving The Past pt 2 ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change

This is a lemon chapter... The clean version on fanfiction.net
________________________________________________________ _____________


Kagome came out of her sleep to find herself still in InuYasha’s arms.

“InuYasha?” she asked, and his response was to start kissing and nuzzling her neck softly. “I never realized until today that there is so much we haven’t talked about.”

“Like what?”

“Like your family; like our family,” she replied.

“What’s really bothering you?” he asked.

“Your parents convinced me to return your lost memories,” she told. “I still don’t want to, but they said it was important.”

“Is it really that bad?”

“Worse,” she told him. “All along, I knew that you had suffered through horrible things, but you never talked about it. Now I have all these horrible images in my head of how they hurt you. It’s all I can do not to cry.”

“We can wait,” he said

“No, let’s get down so I can show you while the others are still gone,” she told him.

They jumped down and she had him sit across from her on the ground, as she had with the others. She put her hands to the sides of his head.

“Forgive me.”

With that, she released the memories.

**

It was all there - things he had told her and the things he had kept locked away.

One image of his father, as he saw him after his birth. Images of his mother, of the tears she shed when the other children refused to play with him, when he asked her what a half-breed was. The memory of hearing her impassioned pleas for the life of her son as he hid outside in the bushes. Her last words to him. “Run, koinu!”

Flashes of different times when he was forced to run for his life, from youkai. Times where he was only saved because he had been small enough to hide where others couldn’t go.

Worst though,
were during a famine. He was half starved and alone, though still no more than a child. Visions of him stealing food of running when he was caught, and one horrible memory of a time when he hadn’t managed to get away, and the villagers had beaten him with in an inch of his life. They had left him to die or to be killed by animals or the youkai in the surrounding woods, but he had managed to drag his broken body away and had hidden until he was healed.

All the while, the cries of both human and youkai sounded in their ears. “Half-breed! Abomination
! Worthless! Kill it! Kill it!” As he grew, all his memories remained of both violence and cruelty. Of watching children play and wishing he could be among them. Of fighting and killing lesser youkai. Of blood and of death.

Then of Kikyou and their past together. His quest for the Shikon no Tama and of her presumed betrayal.

Then blackness.

He saw Kagome, how she had freed him and their journeys together. The slow formation of his pack with the monk, the demon slayer, and the orphaned kitsune. His battles with Sesshomaru and Kagura. His fights with Kouga. He also saw the resurrection of Kikyou and the truth about Naraku.

Then, he saw the memory he knew he cherished above all others.

Kagome was sitting with him, cradled in his arms among the branches of the Goshinboku
. He would have been happy to stay exactly as he was at that moment forever.

He had spent countless hours arguing with himself about whether or not to tell the girl in his arms that he loved her; that she was the one thing that made his life worth living. He had decided not to, but he found himself unable to stick to his decision now that the threat of death was real and so near.

“Kagome, I have to tell you something,” he said.

She turned slightly to face him. The seriousness in his voice seemed to grip her and she looked
into his eyes. “What is it InuYasha?” she asked. “You know you can tell me anything.”

“If I die tomorrow, I want you to know that I...” he started. He swallowed the lump in his throat that at formed as he tried to utter the words he had never said since his mother was alive. “I love you.”

He saw the tears in her beautiful brown eyes.

“Why?” she asked. “Why did you wait so long to tell me?”

He had known she would ask, that she wouldn’t understand, but wasn’t that why he loved her, after all? His beautiful Kagome whose heart was so loving, so pure that she could never understand why he had thought he could never love her, that he didn’t deserve her. He knew that she didn’t see him for what he was, but instead, saw only the good in him.

“I am nothing but a hanyou. You deserve better than me, but I couldn’t die never having told you,” he replied.

She started to cry freely. “I love you too.”

Then, with a boldness he hadn’t known she possessed, she pressed her lips to his, and kissed him.

“Kagome, we can’t,” he said sadly.

“Why not?” she asked through her tears. “It may be our only chance. I want to be with you. Please, InuYasha. I want to share myself with you in a way that I never have before. Don’t you want me?”

“Of course I do, baka,” he replied. “But you don’t understand. To be with you is to make you my mate. Our lives would be bound together, and if I die, I’m afraid you would die as well.”

“I don’t care,” she pleaded. “Don’t you understand? I have no life without you.”

With that she kissed him again. “Please, InuYasha, make me yours. If I am to die then I want it to be as your mate.”

Her pleas were too much for him to ignore, and he gathered her up tightly in his arms and took off into the woods, to a special place known to very few. It was where he would hide on the nights of the new moon before he met Kagome.

When they stopped he laid her gently on the ground. She smiled softly as he looked down at her. He felt her small hands gently tugging at his kariginu and undershirt until they came free, and she pushed them off his shoulders.

She sat up and pulled off her shirt, and reached behind her to unhook her bra. She took her bra off and placed it beside her, blushing as he looked at her with and expression of awe but made no move to cover herself.

Tentatively, he reached out his hand to touch her. She seemed to sense his hesitance and guided his hand to her breast.

She moaned softly.

With her encouragement, he leaned down and kissed her deeply. He looked into her eyes and saw her complete trust in him and her love.

He trailed kisses down her jaw and began to lavish attention on her neck most, especially on the spot that would soon bear his mark, proclaiming to all that she was his. Her soft noises of pleasure gave him courage, and his mouth soon found its way to her breasts. He gently bit her erect nipple and garnered from her a loud moan.

Her hands came up and began to rub his ears gently, setting off a deep satisfied rumbling in his chest.

Soon, one hand left his ears and he hear a strange sound as she pulled down the zipper on her skirt. He stopped momentarily to pull it off of her, as well as her panties.

He stared at her, as she lay completely undressed before him. She was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. The warm summer night had a soft sheen of sweat glistening on her body under the light of the nearly full moon.

He barely noticed as she reached up and untied his hakama, until it fell away. His lips once again fell over hers as he kicked out of his hakama. He found himself trailing wet kisses and gently nips down her body until he was directly over the spot where her glorious scent culminated. He flicked out his tongue and ran it gently over the warm, wet place at the apex of her thighs.

She softly whispered his name.

He plunged his tongue deeply inside her and groaned.

“Kami, you taste so good,” he breathed.

It wasn’t long before he discovered that there was a certain place just above her core that caused her scent to spike and her moans to grow louder. He concentrated his attentions on that area, and soon she tensed calling out his name. He allowed himself to delve into her, tasting her once more, before positioning himself over her.

“Are you sure?” he whispered looking in to her eyes.

“Yes,” she replied without hesitation.

With that he pressed his fangs into her neck and he became one with her.

It was a reverent joining, as he made love to her under the stars. He couldn’t get close enough or be deep enough inside her. He never wanted it to end. Her body matched his; every move, urging him onward. He had never felt anything so right, so perfect. For the first time in his life, he felt like he was exactly where he belonged.

They found their release together, and as they lay together, he once again professed his love.

Then, he was shown memories that were not his own, but those of his mother and father. He witnessed how they had fallen in love and the happiness they had shared, during both lifetimes. Then he finally understood that even though they had died, neither would have changed a single thing about their time together. He knew that, because it was exactly how he felt about Kagome.

**

With that, Kagome pulled her hands away.

It wasn’t time to show him the rest. That was something they all needed to see together.

She looked at InuYasha, who had tear-stained cheeks. His defenses had not been as well built this time around and he was unable to mask his emotion.

“I’m so sorry,” she said softly.


InuYasha didn’t look at her or say anything. First, because he was too ashamed of the way he had treated her, and second, because it was simply too much to take in. He was soon assaulted by the scent of her tears.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I didn’t want to. I-”

He turned and grabbed her roughly, pulling her into his arms. “Don’t be stupid,” he said. “This is not your fault, and you have nothing to be sorry for. I just need some time alone.”


Kagome looked at him and did the only thing she could to help him.

“All right,” she told him. “I’m going to find the others and go inside for some tea. When you’re ready, let me know. There is still one more thing I have to show all of you.”

He nodded, and she watched him jump into the Goshinboku.

Kagome walked for the steps that led from the street to the shrine. Since she wasn’t sure where the others had gone, she figured she should just wait at the base of the stairs until they returned. There, she could sit and think about everything she now knew and try to sort through some of the feelings that plagued her.


InuYasha watched Kagome walk away. He could tell that she was upset, but how could he comfort her when it was all he could do to try and process what he had been shown? He understood why she had been more than reluctant to show him his past. While it was true that half demons were still not totally accepted, they were seldom hunted, except by the most extreme purists. They had protection, a right to exist under both human and youkai law. In his other life, he had barely survived, but that part of his life he could distance himself from.

He sighed.

His life had been one of loneliness, pain and suffering. He had been angry and lost for so long, and then he had met her. The guardian of an item of great power that could have given him a place to belong among youkai, and perhaps with his brother, but there had been something about her, and he had not been able to harm her. She too was a creature of such supreme loneliness, an outcast because of her power and duty. Perhaps he should have seen that, being so similar, they couldn’t offer each other what they really needed, but her soul had drawn him to her and he couldn’t ignore it.

Gradually, he had felt some manner of belonging and it bound him to her. But then,
his world had come crashing down, and he had been unable to see through the web of betrayal being spun by another. It had been a hard truth, coming to see that his first love had not been love as would come to know it, but a mere shadow compared to what he would come to feel for the one with which he truly belonged.

She had come to him and freed him in ways that he had never expected. A young girl from a different world had taught him trust, and given him complete understanding, true acceptance, and most importantly unconditional, all consuming love. When he considered how he had repaid her for the gifts she offered him without asking anything in return, shame swept over him and weighed down his heart.

He had berated and belittled her at every turn. He had run off to the memory of a pale shade of the real love before him, and in doing so time after time, broken the heart of the one woman who could bring him some measure of peace. He had been a fool - a blind, stubborn, undeserving fool, and in doing so, he had lost precious time he could have spent repaying her for all that she had given him. Only barely had he begun to correct his wrongs when everything was lost.

The only question that remained was what had happened so that he would have this chance to atone for the crimes he had committed against her.

A quick sniff to the air told him that soon his mate and their friends would be appearing at the top of the shrine steps. He was ready to finish this, to find out how it had happened and why it was so important now. He jumped down and went to meet them.


Kagome looked up to see InuYasha waiting for her at the top of the shrine steps. A soft wind blew past, and his hair fanned out caught in the breeze. One word snaked into her mind as it always did when she would see him standing alone like he was now - beautiful. He still looked upset, and she sensed a deep sadness within him, but he was obviously doing a little better than before.

The first thing he did when she was close enough was sweep her up in his arms. “Thank you,” he whispered.

She wondered what he was thanking her for, but when she went to ask, he simply shook his head and took her hand to lead her back to the sacred tree. He leaned against it and held her back against his chest.

“I’m ready now,” he told her.

Miroku, Sango and Shippou stood before them forming a semi-circle.

“If you are all ready, we should sit down and join hands. Then, I will show you what happened in the battle with Naraku and after,” Kagome said softly.

When they were ready she let the visions overtake her once again.

**

It was dawn as InuYasha and Kagome stepped out of the trees and back into the village that had been their home.

Miroku and Sango were waiting for them outside of Kaede’s hut. Shippou was perched on Miroku’s shoulder with tears barely contained in his usually bright eyes. Soon, they were all standing together.

“Why can’t I go with you?” Shippou cried.

Kagome gathered the kit into her arms. “I’m sorry, Shippou. I know you want to come and try and help, but you have to stay here,” Kagome told him, trying her best not to cry.

“Yeah, runt,” InuYasha said. “We need you to be here to protect the village for us while we’re gone.”

Kagome smiled gratefully at the usually gruff hanyou beside her for coming to her aid.

“Don’t worry, Shippou. Things will work out exactly how they are supposed to,” she added. It didn’t escape anyone’s notice that she had not mentioned anything about whether or not they would be coming back, not even the young fox demon’s. “Please, Shippou, stay here… for me.”

The kit didn’t answer. He ran into Kaede’s hut, where they could all hear him crying.

“Let’s get moving,” InuYasha said. “We don’t want that bastard coming too close to the village.” He took Kagome’s hand and led the way toward the bone eaters well. If Sango or Miroku thought it was odd that he had done so, they didn’t comment on it.

*****

They knew he was coming for them. He wanted Kagome’s two shards. The last two that kept him from having the complete jewel. For days they had felt him drawing near and now they were going out to meet him.

Kagome came to a stop in front of the well that had allowed her to journey here in the first place. She had already gone home and said her goodbyes in case she never returned. Of course, she hadn’t actually said the words, but she could tell her mother had known.

“I just wanted to say something in case...” she started, but she didn’t let herself finish. They all knew why, and they didn’t need to be reminded. “I just wanted to say that no matter what, I wouldn’t change coming here and meeting all of you.”

Kagome hugged Sango tightly. “I always wanted a sister and now I have one.”

She turned to Miroku to hug him as well, before looking back at InuYasha.

“Go ahead. Sango would kill him if he groped you now,” InuYasha said with a knowing smirk. “Even the monk isn’t stupid enough to give his mate an excuse.”

Kagome’s eyes opened wide as she took in Sango’s blush, and her soft smile. She hugged Miroku. “I can’t say you’ve been like my brother, since he never groped me, but you have been a very dear friend.”

“You honor me,” Miroku said. “I, for the first time in my life, can honestly say that I am grateful for this curse placed upon my grandfather, because it is the reason I met my brother, my wife, and a miko who taught me much about what it is to love.”

Both Sango and Kagome were, of course, in tears, and though they refused to fall, all could see the dampness in InuYasha’s eyes. Kagome knew that it was because Miroku had referred to him as his brother.


“Keh,” InuYasha said, his voice thick with emotion he couldn’t express. “Enough of this mushy stuff; we have a demon to kill. We’ll teach that bastard to mess with my family.”

Before they could react, he walked on ahead. Kagome and the others shared a smile before she ran to catch up with him.

*****

They stopped in a clearing not far from the well, and waited. It wasn’t long before Kagome felt several demons approaching, though they didn’t feel threatening. First to arrive was Kouga.

InuYasha started growling, clearly not in the mood to deal with the cocky wolf demon.

Kouga stood before Kagome and looked at her, a hint of sadness in his gaze.


“Relax, mutt face,” he said to InuYasha. “I’m not here to fight over...” Kouga paused, as if the next part was causing him great pain to say, “...your woman. I’m here to help get rid of that bastard, so what do you say we put aside our dislike for each other until after we send Naraku to hell?”

“Fine,” InuYasha growled. “But only because you finally admitted that Kagome belongs to me.”

Kagome elbowed InuYasha in the ribs. “Be nice. He came to help,” she scolded.

“Shit,” InuYasha growled. “Not him too.”

“Who-?” Kagome started to ask.

“I believe my baka brother is referring to me,” came the voice of the taiyoukai, Sesshomaru.

“What are you doing here bastard?” InuYasha growled.

“This Sesshomaru has come to seek his final revenge on the one who thought to force me to do his bidding by taking what is mine,” he replied.

“Still mad he took that human girl?” InuYasha smirked. “Or perhaps, a certain wind sorceress?”

“I see, though you have finally gained enough sense to make the miko your mate, and, at last, abandoned your hopeless pursuit of the dead one, you still haven’t gained enough to keep your mouth shut,” Sesshomaru said. “I shall overlook this for now, but should you somehow manage to survive, I will teach you some respect.”

InuYasha opened his mouth to goad Sesshomaru some more, but one thing stopped him.

“InuYasha…” Kagome said in a tone most often followed by that dreaded word. “Don’t make me say it.”

InuYasha crossed his arms and pouted, but remained silent. If he had looked, he would have seen a small smile turn up the corners of the taiyoukai’s lips.

“You should take care to learn from your mate, brother,” Sesshomaru commented quietly.

Then there was nothing left to do but wait.

They didn’t have to wait long. Soon, they all felt it, am aura of overwhelming evil.


Kagome could sense the almost complete jewel as it drew near.

It was time.

The cruel laughter of Naraku soon reached their ears. InuYasha grabbed Kagome suddenly, and pulled her into his arms. He kissed her deeply and with an unspoken desperation.

When he pulled back, she stared into his eyes. She touched his cheek. There was nothing they could say that hadn’t already been said. Somehow Kagome knew that his kiss had meant goodbye.

Then it began.

A hoard of lesser demons came at them and met with both the Tokijin and Tetsusaiga, as ,for once, the brothers stood together fighting side by side. Sango’s Hiraikotsu also joined the fray. Kouga stood in front of Kagome killing anything that came close to her.

All were so engrossed in the battle than none took notice of the small fox demon that had joined them and was currently hiding nearby in the brush.

Some much larger demons joined the lesser oni, and Kagome began using her arrows to defend her friends. She used them sparingly, knowing she would need to have some left when Naraku came out into the open. She was surprised when arrows, coming from another direction, joined her own. She looked towards the trees where Kikyou was standing, bow drawn back choosing her target.

Their eyes met for a moment before they both returned their focus to the battle at hand.

Occasionally, they would hear the familiar cry of Miroku unleashing his wind tunnel, but only for brief amounts of time, since Naraku’s poison insects were near.

At last, as the youkai diminished the hideous form of Naraku came toward them from beyond the horizon.

They were all surprised that Kikyou was the first to fall. Naraku had once again utilized a giant soul stealing youkai. InuYasha leapt into action, trying to slay the beast, but by the time he had killed it, the only soul remain in Kikyou was the part that had been stolen from Kagome.

Kagome fought back her jealousy and her tears as she watched InuYasha kneeling beside his former love. She couldn’t blame him for wanting to say goodbye.

“Kikyou...” he said sadly. “Hold on.”

“InuYasha,” Kikyo replied weakly. “We were never meant to be together. I know this now. My soul was simply not ready to love you as you deserve. She is the one you were
meant to be with. I must return the rest of her soul. She will need the strength to defeat him. Be happy.”

With that, Kikyou turned to dust and the missing piece of Kagome’s soul was returned to her. Her hand went to her chest where it had entered her. “I am whole again,” she whispered.

She turned her gaze to InuYasha. She could feel his fury, as he threw himself back into battle.

Kagome was the first to notice Shippou, but that was probably because
he was yelling her name as he ran out in front of her, only to be ripped apart right before her eyes by one of Naraku’s tentacles that had been intent on grabbing her. Kouga, distracted by one of the various oni coming for them, hadn’t seen the tentacle.

Kagome’s scream, as she watched the life fade from the little fox demon, garnered the attention of all and the fighting stopped momentarily.

She fell to her knees and held the little fox demon.

“Okaa, I did it,” he whispered. “I protected you like I couldn’t protect my real Otou and Okaa.”

Kagome cried freely. “Yes you did,” she replied as he slipped away. She set him on the ground, and came to her feet.

Naraku was laughing.

She readied an arrow. “Bastard. I will see you in hell.”

The malice in her voice caused Naraku’s laughter to cease.

“We shall see, miko,” he replied sending a tentacle out at her.

She ignored InuYasha as he yelled her name, and concentrated on hitting her mark. Just as she was about to release her arrow, Kouga pushed her out of the way and was impaled on a deadly spike meant for her. Her arrow hit Naraku, but missed where she had been aiming and merely severed several of his limbs.

In his distraction, Naraku sought to strike InuYasha, only to be thwarted by Sango’s giant boomerang. In a rage, Naraku lashed out at the demon exterminator, knocking her from Kirara. As she fell helplessly through the air, he impaled her, then flung her away. She landed at Miroku’s feet.

Miroku didn’t utter a word. He opened his wind tunnel. He ignored the poison insects as they were sucked into his hand along with countless other demons. Sesshomaru and InuYasha barely managed to move out of the way. Slowly, Naraku was being dragged into his own curse. The evil hanyou lashed out and removed the top half of the houshi’s head, along with the curse in his hand.

Kagome looked away. She couldn’t believe what was happening. They were losing. He friends were dead. How long would it be before InuYasha was killed.

Kagome didn’t see the demons Naraku sent at her. She didn’t see anything until a flash of red appeared in front of her and let out a familiar cry.


“Kaze no Kizu!” InuYasha called, unleashing the power of Tetsusaiga.

He had to protect her. There was no one else left. Whenever he could, he sent the various attacks of his sword at Naraku.


Sesshomaru continued to fight directly with Naraku. Thus far, his speed had protected him, but now, Naraku could focus almost completely on him. Naraku had gotten stronger as the jewel had grown.

Sesshomaru had spared a glance at his brother and had called out a warning, saving Kagome’s life. In that moment, Naraku managed to remove Sesshomaru’s remaining arm.


Kagome and InuYasha both watched in horror as the last of their allies was absorbed.

Recklessly, InuYasha charged at Naraku, only to meet several of his spiked tentacles. He wildly swung his sword cutting himself free. He unleashed the diamond spear blast, Kongosouha, but to no avail.

Kagome fired arrow after arrow, but couldn’t focus. She couldn’t seem to hit the place where he carried the jewel within him, to free it from his body. She ran forward as InuYasha fought against being absorbed. She couldn’t lose him too.

Naraku looked directly into her eyes as he sent one final spike through InuYasha’s body and then dropped him to the ground. She felt herself being lifted off the ground and was soon face to face with the demon who had ruined so many lives.

“Now I have killed all that you love,” he said. “Give me your shards and I will spare you.”

“Kagome,” she heard InuYasha whisper. “Do as he asks. Live.”

Kagome closed her eyes, and held her two shards tightly in her hand, but instead of giving him the shards she concentrated on directing her power into her hand. She plunged it deep into Naraku’s chest, ignoring his anguished scream, and pulled out the Sacred Jewel.

“Die, you bastard,” she said softly. “Die not for what you have done to me, but for what you have done to so many others.” A burst of power shot forth as she drew on the jewel in her hand.

She flew backwards as her world went black.

*****

Kagome opened her eyes. She prayed it had all been a dream, even though she held the now whole Shikon no Tama in her hand. Naraku’s evil energy was completely gone and she knew he had been destroyed. Slowly, she came to her feet and walked across the battle field.

She walked toward a small shape lying on the ground, gasped, and turned away at the sight. Her stomach turned. The small body was barely recognizable. It was Shippou. She had lost a son.

Kagome moved on, afraid to see more, but knew that it had to be done. Next, she came upon Sango, her dear friend; a sister. A gaping hole went through her chest and abdomen. She could see the blood-soaked ground through it. Kagome choked back the retch trying to escape.

She moved on.

She first saw a simple sandal, and above it, a monks robes. She let her eyes travel higher. This time she was unable to keep the contents of her stomach. She turned and heaved until there was nothing left. It had been Miroku - one lifeless blue eye looking at her, the rest of his head missing.

Then she heard it a soft whisper of her name. She knew who called out to her.

InuYasha.

Kagome made her way to him. The red of his clothes was covered with the even darker red of his blood. His usually silver hair now a deep crimson. The tip of one ear had been severed.

She fell to her knees.

He reached up weakly; his hand and arm dripping blood.

She took his hand and helped it to her cheek, and could not stop the torrent of tears that coursed down her face. He smiled, and she could see the blood on his lips. He tried to speak but coughed and blood splattered her chest as she held him. Once the coughing subsided, he found his voice, though it was raspy and weak.

“Don’t cry, koibito. I love you and I‘ll find you again. Live
for me.” His hand went limp in hers and she cried out. He was dead.

She screamed for him to stay. As she wept, the heavens opened and wept with her.


Her screams reached the village; they drove both animals and youkai alike out of InuYasha’s forest. A sense of profound grief settled over everyone and everything that heard her cries.

The villagers all ran to Kaede’s hut looking for an explanation. The old miko looked at them with sad eyes.

“I fear much has been lost this day,” she said. “I need the men of the village to come with me. I believe I will need ye to dig several graves this day.”

Kagome ignored the villagers and Kaede as they approached.

Kaede took in the scene before her. Kagome sat with InuYasha’s head cradled in her lap rocking gently. As she knelt next to the devastated young girl, she began to hear the words that she was softly muttering.

“Don’t worry, InuYasha,” she whispered, “I’ll take care of you. You’ll be fine. Sleep as long as you want. I won’t leave you. That’s right. Just rest and get well, and then we can be together. I know. I know it’s just a scratch.”

Kaede stood and moved away. She directed the men to dig a grave at the base of the sacred tree and to take the bodies of the demon exterminator, the monk, and the little fox demon to be placed there.

“What of the hanyou InuYasha?” one asked.

“Take care of the others first,” Kaede said.

They nodded and set about the task the old miko had given them.

Kaede returned to a spot beside Kagome. “ Child ye know he has passed on. Ye must let him go.”

Kagome looked at Kaede, and the old miko could see that Kagome knew the truth of
her words.

“I know,” she whispered.

When the men returned, Kaede signaled that it was all right for them to take InuYasha. Even as they carried him, Kagome never left his side. She kept his hand firmly grasped in her own. Only when they laid him in the ground did she release him.

She stood there looking at the bodies of her friends - her family - and clutched the jewel tightly in her hand. She closed her eyes and made her wish.

The villagers watched as the young miko fell to the ground and the Sacred Jewel hovered overhead. A small white orb rose up from Kagome and entered the jewel causing it to glow more brightly.

*****

Kagome opened her eyes and saw and expanse of soft light, and in the center was a woman with the manner of a warrior and the aura of a priestess.

“Midoriko?” Kagome asked.

“Yes, Kagome.” she replied.

“What is going on?” she asked.

“Your soul has joined mine in the Sacred Jewel,” Midoriko told her. “Before I can grant your wish, I must determine if you are certain in your choice. What you ask is great, but it can be done if you are willing to pay the price.”

“Anything,” Kagome said. “I will do anything.”

“Very well, but before you aid me in purifying the youkai that I have battled so long, I find I am able to give you a gift,” Midoriko said.

“Kagome?” came a familiar voice.

Kagome spun to see InuYasha standing before her. She fell into his arms.

What? How?” Kagome asked.

“It seems that his soul was very determined
not to leave yours behind. I have never seen someone bind their soul so tightly to another. He refused to move on,” Midoriko replied.

“InuYasha?” Kagome whispered.

“Don’t look so surprised, wench,” he said. “I told you I’d never leave you. That’s what forever means.” He leaned down and kissed her.

“I was worried his presence would hinder my ability to grant your wish, that his demon blood would make it more difficult to win this battle, but it seems the opposite is true. Your spiritual powers are stronger when he is near,” Midoriko said, “which is good, since I doubt I could make him leave.”

“Damn right, you couldn’t.” InuYasha replied. “What was your wish?”

“I wished that everyone who’s life was ruined by Naraku would get the chance to live the lives they would have had if he had never interfered,” she replied.

“What?” InuYasha yelled. “How could you?”

“What do you mean?” she asked. “I just wanted everyone to be happy.”

“If Naraku hadn’t killed Kikyou, I never would have met you and I’d be a human. I would be with her, not you,” he said.

“I never thought of that,” she whispered. “But that’s okay if it means you’ll get to be happy.”

“I think you are both overlooking something important,” Midoriko interrupted. “InuYasha, you were never meant to be with Kikyou. Onigumo would have killed her after you died. When you wished on the jewel, it would have been tainted by Kikyou’s hate for all youkai and destroyed you. You would have been born again and eventually met Kagome.”

“So this wish won’t make it so that I never get to be with Kagome?” InuYasha asked.

“On the contrary. It will almost assure that, one day, you do, but when you find each other, it will be up to you both to recognize that you belong together. You won’t remember anything about this life,” Midoriko told them.

“I will find you, Kagome,” he said with a certainty in his voice that gave Kagome hope.

“Now, the time has come to end this,” Midoriko said.

*****

The villagers gasped as the jewel above them glowed white and then turned clear before showering them in a layer of crystalline dust, but not before giving Kaede the first and only vision of her life.

“What do we do Kaede?” A man asked.

“Place her with InuYasha,” she said. “Then, find a large stone and polish it smooth. We must care a marker so that their sacrifice is never forgotten.”

**

Kagome released the hands she had been holding, and the group awoke as if from a dream. Everyone seemed to be at a loss for words. Kagome turned and began sweeping the dirt off the stone that now bore only a single word as a testament to what had occurred: Purity.

She felt the others come to look over her shoulder.

“Is that...” Sango asked.

“Yes,” Kagome replied. “Now, I’ll show you what it said.”

She ran her hand across the stone, and in the pink light of her miko energy, words appeared.

There were five columns, each with a name above it.

The first said...

InuYasha mate to Kagome
A powerful demon and an honorable man
A brother, a father, and a friend
He fought with unmatched bravery
to protect those he loved

Next...

Kagome mate to InuYasha
A powerful miko from another world
A sister, a mother, and a friend
She gave all of herself
And asked for nothing in return

Then...

Shippou
The bravest of all kitsune youkai
An adopted son
He brought us happiness
during times of great peril

Then...

Sango wife to Miroku
A proud demon exterminator
A sister, a woman, and a friend
She avenged her family bravely
and fought with honor until the end

Last...

Miroku husband to Sango
A powerful cursed houshi
A brother, a hentai, and a friend
He taught us all to live each day
as though it was our last

Underneath it all was a single passage...

Let these five stand for all time as an example that purity is found, not in the body or in the blood, but in the heart and in the spirit. Their sacrifice rid the world of a great evil that threatened to consume us all. Let us never forget.