InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ The Swords of Our Father ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


When she was sure they had all finished reading it, she removed her hands and all of the words faded away once again. Kagome didn’t know what she expected them to say, but anything would have been better than the silence that now hung between them. She knew it was a lot for them to take in but it was for her as well.


InuYasha watched Kagome as she looked to each of them. He could tell she wanted someone to say something, anything, to let her know that it was all right, that she hadn’t scared them all away, but as much as he wanted to, he couldn’t think of anything to say to her that would make it better.

Kagome came to her feet. “Uh... Well, I’ll just go make some tea, and if you want, you can come inside,” she said softly.

InuYasha jumped up beside her and put an arm around her waist. “I’ll come with you koibito,” he told her. He held her tighter as she leaned into him.

“Me too,” said Shippou, who hurried off after them.

*****

Kagome’s mother was in the kitchen. She looked at Kagome. “Is everything all right?”

“Would you mind making some tea?” InuYasha asked. “I think I need to talk to Kagome alone for a minute, and Miroku and Sango will be coming in soon.”

“Of course,” Asami replied, “it would be no problem.”

InuYasha led Kagome to her old room, and Shippou went to play video games in Souta’s room. Once inside, he shut the door and Kagome started to cry.

He held her close to him until her tears slowly subsided. “What’s the matter, koibito?” he asked gently.

“What if they hate me for changing everything, or for showing them things they were probably happier not knowing?” she replied.

He raised her head, forcing her to look him in the eye. “Do you really think that they might hate you? Kagome, you gave up your own life to give them another chance at theirs.”

“But they didn’t say anything!” she cried. “They wouldn’t even look me in the eye.”

“I didn’t say anything. Do you think that I hate you?” he asked.

“No,” she admitted.

“Everything is going to be all right,” he told her. “I promise, and no matter what, you’ll always have me by your side.”

He lowered his lips to hers and kissed her.


Kagome relaxed into his arms and into his kiss. She could feel it as his youki reached out to her, wrapping around her, through her, in an attempt to comfort her and assuage her fears. She welcomed it.

Her legs collapsed beneath her as she let him shelter her completely in his arms. He held her to him, supporting her as she accepted his strength and his love for her, showing him her complete trust in his ability to make everything all right once again.


He broke the kiss and nuzzled her neck softly. When he felt her take her weight back onto her own legs, he released her. “Better?”

She nodded.

“Good. I hate to see you cry. Now let’s go downstairs.”

*****

Sango and Miroku entered the kitchen and were greeted by Asami.

She told them that Kagome and InuYasha had gone upstairs for a moment to talk, and set the tea on the table. She then left them alone in the kitchen.

“Do you think everything’s all right?” Sango asked.

“Kagome did seem upset when she left to come inside,” Miroku replied. “We forget that just because she is the one who knows what is going on, it might be just as difficult for her to accept, as well.”

Sango nodded. “You don’t suppose she thinks that we will be upset with her do you?”

Before he could answer, Kagome and InuYasha appeared in the doorway. Kagome looked around the room nervously. It was obvious that she had been crying.

Sango got up and went to her friend, pulling her into a hug. “Are you all right?” she asked.

Kagome nodded.

“I don’t like to see my best friend so upset.”


When she heard that, Kagome finally found it in herself to smile.

InuYasha put his arm around her and led her to a place at the table.

“I guess we all have some things to discuss,” he started. “I think it should be obvious that Kagome and are in this together, but you both have a choice. We would love to have you with us, but we will understand if you’d rather not get involved, considering the danger.”

“I don’t know how I am going to get another Hiraikotsu, but I do know that I’m going to do whatever I can to help,” Sango said. “I would rather be helping than sitting by, hoping that this demon
doesn’t manage to take over.”

“Getting the weapons of my trade should be a simple matter,” Miroku said. “I dare say, my father will be pleased to see me taking a renewed interest in becoming a monk.”

“In that case, I think you both should continue to live with me Kagome,” InuYasha told them. “It’ll be safer that way since Sesshomaru has his own security team on the property. We’ll also need to arrange a meeting with him. I know you both already have jobs, but Sesshomaru may want to hire you for your unique skills. So what do you think?”

Sango and Miroku shared a look, coming to a silent agreement, and nodded.

*****

They left the shrine and headed home. Miroku and Sango went inside, but Kagome stopped InuYasha.

“We have to go see Sesshomaru,” she said. “He has something that belongs to you, and I’m supposed to show him something.”

InuYasha nodded and they made their way to the main house.

Kagura let them in and they went to Sesshomaru’s office.


He looked up when they entered. “Did you need something?”

“Yes,” Kagome replied. “InuYasha needs his fang.”

Sesshomaru stopped feigning disinterest and focused all of his attention on her. “What fang do you speak of?”

“The fang or your father. A blade made to seal the youkai blood of your brother, though he no longer needs it for that purpose. A sword capable of slaying one-hundred demons in a
single stroke,” she replied.

“The Tetsusaiga?” InuYasha asked.

Kagome nodded.

“It exists in this time?”

“Yes,” Kagome said, “and it’s somewhere close by. I’m sure you can sense it if you try. It’s yours and it longs to wielded.”

“How do you know of the sword?” Sesshomaru asked.

“The same way I also know of the Tensaiga. The sword your father left to you. The one you were going to use to revive InuYasha had I not healed him that night,” she replied. “Though I didn’t know that at the time. In exchange for the Tetsusaiga, I can offer you a deeper insight in to the true strength you possess that has been damped by your life in a less trying time.”

Sesshomaru considered the miko’s words. She must possess knowledge of things outside her own life to know about father’s swords. She is also offering an exchange out of respect instead of simply demanding the sword, though it is my brother’s to claim if he desires.

“Very well,” he said at last. “Tell me what you know.”

“I have to show you,” she replied moving to stand beside him. Kagome reached out slowly to place her hand to Sesshomaru’s head.

He nodded slightly giving his permission.

As with the others she, gave him aback his memories from the life he lived before.

Sesshomaru said nothing once Kagome removed her hands. He went over to the bookcase and moved several books. A few seconds later, the case swung open and a vault was revealed. Sesshomaru opened the vault and stepped inside.

He came out with a long narrow box, which he held out to InuYasha. “Here is your sword,” he said. “I will meet with your houshi and demon exterminator tomorrow. I also expect you to have gotten what information you are able before Friday. You will need to come downtown with me and share what you learned with the other clan leaders.”

InuYasha nodded.

“If that is all…”

*****

InuYasha and Kagome returned to their house.

Shippou was sitting on the couch. “Miroku and Sango went to their room.”

“I think I’m going to lie down as well,” Kagome said. She went to their room and shut the door.

“So kid are you all right?” InuYasha asked. “I know we’ve never really had the sit down and talk kind of relationship, but if you needed to or something, I want you to know you can talk to me.”

“I know,” Shippou said. “I’m really fine, though. Kagome was right when she said the things I’d see weren’t really that different, and in the end, I made a difference, even if it was a small one. Besides, I think Kagome needs to talk to you more right now, anyway.”

InuYasha reached over and ruffled Shippou’s hair. “When did you get so smart?” The hanyou got up and headed for his room. “Oh, and what you did was as important a part as any of us played that day. Without Kagome we would have lost, and you saved her. Your parents would have been proud of you. I was. Don’t stay up too late.”

*****

Kagome was curled up on their bed. She wasn’t crying, but he could tell she was thinking about all that they had learned. He stripped down to his usual bedtime attire and lay down beside her, resting his head against hers.

“I love you,” he said softly.

She turned in his arms. “I love you too,” she said. “I’m still sorry I showed you all those terrible things.”

“Please koibito, you have to stop blaming yourself for things you couldn’t do anything about,” he told her. “Besides, along with all the bad memories, you gave me gifts as well. I couldn’t even remember my father, and now I got to talk to him and hear him say he was proud of me. I can’t tell you what that means to me. My mother was always so sad in my memories, and now I have ones where she is happy, and I know that she and father are together again.”

“But is that really enough to make up for everything else?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied. “But even if it wasn’t, I have all my memories of you. I didn’t deserve you. You gave me everything, and in return, I hurt you over and over again. Every good memory I have is because of you. I mean, how many men get to remember making love to the woman of their dreams for the first time, twice?” InuYasha leaned closer and nipped her neck softly.

“I guess you and Miroku would be the only ones,” she replied with a soft laugh. “If he ever manages to convince Sango this time around.”

*****

The next day, InuYasha took Sango and Miroku to see Sesshomaru. The meeting went well. Sesshomaru, after testing Miroku’s powers, asked him to work for him and offered Sango a job as well, as long as she could demonstrate proficiency with a true exterminators weapon, one which she would have as soon as he acquired the materials she needed to construct her Hiraikotsu.

*****

As the days passed, InuYasha’s sense of dread grew. He had to go talk to Kikyou, and he could only think of one way to convince her to meet him. He also dreaded telling Kagome what he was going to have to do. He knew she wouldn’t like it.

*****

Wednesday evening came, and Sango and Miroku went out.

InuYasha figured that it would best to take care of this while they were gone.

He waited until Kagome went to their room after dinner, before picking up the phone. He hoped Kikyo would call back quickly, and wished he had some other way of contacting her, but she never gave him her home number so her boyfriend wouldn’t get suspicious.

He waited by the phone for it to ring. When it did, he picked it up quickly, hoping that Kagome was still in the bath and wouldn’t pick it up.

“Hello,” he said.

“You wanted something, InuYasha?” came a female voice.

He waited a moment to make sure that Kagome hadn’t also picked up the phone, swallowing the lump in his throat. “I miss you, Kikyou,” he said softly.

“Isn’t that sweet,” she said with a cruel laugh. “What is it, Yashy, life with you little miko bitch not turning out to be what you expected?”

“No,” he replied, adding, better, in his head. “I just can’t stop thinking about that night and how good you looked,” he told her. “I made a mistake, Kikyou.”

“Yes, you did,” she said.

“You aren’t going to make this easy for me, are you?” he asked.

“Not a chance,” she replied.

“Please, let me make it up to you,” he said.

“Tell me you love me,” she ordered.

That, however was the one thing he wouldn’t do. “How about you let me show you?” he suggested. “I’ll come over.”

“Can we meet somewhere?” she asked.

“I’ll get us a room at the Westin,” he said. “You will come, won’t you?”

“I wouldn’t miss it,” she said and hung up.

InuYasha laid the phone in the cradle and took a deep breath. Now it was time for the really hard part. He had to go tell Kagome. He went to their room.

When he opened the door, he nearly passed out. Kagome had sprayed their room with some sort of perfume. He put his arm over his face and noticed that the bathroom door was shut, and inside, he could only hear the sound of the radio blaring.

He knocked on the door. “Kagome, let me in!” he shouted, but got no answer. That’s when he became certain that she was hiding from him, and he prayed that he was wrong about why. Instead of knocking again, he simply threw his shoulder into the door and knocked it open.

The radio was so loud, and combined with yet another round of her perfume, it was making him dizzy. He shut it off. He could now hear her crying from the other side of the door that separated the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. Of course, it was locked as well, but to break this one down would mean he might hurt her, so instead he tried talking to her again.

“Kagome, please open the door.”

“Don’t you have somewhere to be?” she asked.

“Damn it, Kagome, open the fucking door!” he replied. “Won’t you at least let me explain things to your face?”

He heard the door unlock . He pushed it open and when he saw her, the look on her face sent a stab of pain right through his heart.

“What’s to explain?” she said softly. “This is how things have always been with us. I try to hide my feelings when you run off to Kikyou.”

He fell to his knees before her. How could I have been so stupid? I should have talked to her first. I should have remembered about Kikyou. He tucked his head under her chin and whined softly.

He’s sorry, really sorry. Kagome didn’t know how she knew, but she understood his gesture. “InuYasha, why?” she asked softly. “I thought... I thought...” she couldn’t finish as she started to cry once more.

“Koibito, it’s not what you think. I promise,” he told her still on his knees, looking up at her. “I should have explained first, but I didn’t want you to have to hear the things I was going to say.”

“But I did hear,” she replied.

“I know. I’m an idiot,” he said. “I had to convince her to see me. Remember what she said about her boyfriend not wanting us together and about Kouga?”

Kagome nodded.

“Sesshomaru wants me to see what information I can get from her, and it was the only thing I could think of to convince her to meet me. We think they are connected to whatever demon is causing all the trouble. I’m so sorry.” He lowered his head again and whined softly.

She pulled him up until his face was even with hers and leaned forward so that she could nuzzle
his cheek with her own. He wrapped his arms around her and sighed with relief. “I want to come with you,” she told him.

He pulled back. “Kagome, I don’t think-”

“InuYasha, I’m coming with you,” she said firmly. “If you think I am going to trust her alone with you, you have another thing coming. Who knows what she has planned.”

“That’s exactly why you shouldn’t come,” he explained.

“That’s exactly why I should, and you know it,” she said. “So let’s go.”

He sighed in defeat. There was no use arguing with her and he knew it. “Fine. I’ll get connecting rooms and you can wait in the other one in case I need you.”


*****

They went to the hotel and he got the rooms.

While Kagome went up to unlock the connecting doors, he went to the phone and paged Kikyou.

Soon, the hotel was paging him. He grabbed the phone.

“Kikyou?” he said.

“Who else?” she asked.

“You’re are coming, right?” he questioned.

“I’m in my way now,” she told him. “I should be there in ten minutes.”

“I can’t wait,” he said. “We’re in room 513.”

“You better make this worth my time, InuYasha,” she warned. “I want you ready and waiting when I arrive.”

“Trust me,” he said. “This is going to be one night you never forget.”

InuYasha went upstairs and knocked on the door to 515. Kagome opened it and he went inside.

“Well?” she asked.

“She’s going to be here soon,” he told her. “Promise me you won’t come in unless I call you.”

“All right.,” she agreed.

“I’m going to have to do something you aren’t going to like,” he told her. She waited for him to explain. “Well, you know why she thinks we’re here...”

“She thinks that the two of you are going to...” Kagome trailed off. “InuYasha, if you’re telling me that you are actually going to do something with her, then it won’t be demons you have to worry about.”

He took a step back from her. She really could be kind of scary when she wanted to.

“No,” he started. “I was just going to tell you that I think I should take my shirt off, so when she gets here she won’t suspect anything, but I can’t promise you she won’t try to touch me.”

“Oh,” Kagome said. “Well, I don’t like it but I’ll deal with it. Just promise me you won’t let it go any farther than it has to.”

“I promise,” he replied. He grabbed her roughly and kissed her. “I know you’ll be listening, so please try not to get upset by anything you hear. I love you.”

She nodded. “Go on, before I change my mind.”

InuYasha went to the other room to wait, but didn’t have to wait long as a knock came to the door. He looked out and saw only Kikyou, so he let her in. He tried to keep his expression neutral as she let her eyes roam across his exposed chest.

She slid one hand across his abdomen.

“I’m glad to find that you were serious,” she said in what InuYasha guessed was supposed to be a sexy voice. “Let’s get started. I’ve waited years for this and find myself impatient.” Kikyou stood by the bed and took off her coat.

InuYasha was a little surprised to find that under it she was wearing next to nothing. She had on a sheer black nightly.

“Uh... Listen, Kikyou, before we do this, I wanted to ask you something,” he said trying to stall.

“Fine,” she said.

“Did you mean that stuff you said on the phone?” he asked.

“Well not all of it, obviously,” she told him. “I was more than a little upset that you rejected me and believe me you are going to pay for that, tonight.”

“What about your boyfriend?” he asked as she led him to the bed.

She pressed her body against his. “What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him,” she replied. “Onigumo wants you and your brother dead, but if you prove yourself worth keeping around, I’ll convince him and his boss to let you live. Of course, that little bitch will still have to go.”

InuYasha felt himself losing control at her threat toward Kagome, but he managed to stop himself from reacting to her threat. Luckily, Kikyou took his heavy breathing to mean that he was turned on. She bent down in front of him.

“Kikyou...” he started.

She stood up holding something in her hand. “Remember what I said about you paying for rejecting me? Well it starts now,” she said.

Suddenly, she pushed him onto the bed and he felt her press something over his mouth and around his hands. Then, she bound his hands over his head to the headboard. He pulled against it and was shocked by what he recognized to be spiritual energy.

Shit, shit, shit. Think, baka. This was definitely not what he had in mind when he came here, and now he couldn’t call Kagome. He let her get the drop on him and now he was in trouble. Kagome was going to kill him for letting this happen.

“Now,” Kikyou said. “That’s better. I can’t have you getting away, or crying out while I do to you what I will.”


Kagome stiffened. Did she mean that? Has she done something to him? If he doesn’t say anything in two minutes, I’m going in there. He’ll forgive me for breaking my promise.

She listened more closely to what was happening in the other room.


Kikyou pulled open the button of his jeans and moved to straddle him. “You look so good I am almost tempted not to teach you a lesson first... Almost,” she laughed.

She opened a small knife that she had tucked beside her leg. “First, I want to make it clear exactly who you belong to.”

She took the knife and began carving her name across his chest. The cuts weren’t deep but they weren’t shallow either, and blood began to run across his chest.


InuYasha winced. The pain was bearable, but the thought of what Kagome was going to do to him wasn’t.

“Fmmkmng Wmmme,” he cursed through his bonds.


Kikyou laughed loudly and Kagome decided that was it. Kagome was sure she must have done something to him.

She threw open the door to find Kikyou straddling his hips, and saw the blood on InuYasha’s chest and the sutra over his mouth. She could also see that his hands were bound by some sort of spell. His eyes met hers.

Kagome turned
to glare at Kikyou. “Get your hands off him now, whore!”

Kikyou got off the bed. “Jealous?” she taunted. “Or did you want to join? I hate to admit it, but you are quite attractive. We could share.”

Kikyou approached her until their bodies were nearly touching. Kagome felt a hand gently squeeze her breast.

Then, Kikyou found herself unconscious on the floor.

Kagome was a little surprised too, seeing how she had never punched anyone before. She shook her hand. It really hurt, but she didn’t dwell on that. She had to help InuYasha.

First, she removed the seal on his mouth. “I didn’t... I tried...” he stammered.

“It’s all right,” she said. She went to the bathroom and got a couple of towels. She assumed the position Kikyou had been in moments before and cleaned his chest. The cuts had already started to heal.

“I’m glad you don’t scar,” she told him remembering the scratches from Kouga. “That would be a real turn off.”

He flushed. “Are you going to untie my hands?“

“I don’t know. I kind of like having you at my mercy,” Kagome replied.

“We can do this anytime you want, but I really would like to get up now,” he told her.

“Admit that I was right for insisting that I come,” she said.

“You were right,” he said.

Kagome untied his hands. The power on the beads was stronger than she expected, but not stronger than her own.

InuYasha hugged her once he was free. He glanced at Kikyou as she lay on the floor. “That really was a nice punch.”

Kagome blushed a little. “I never hit anyone before,” she admitted. “I think I hurt my hand.”

He took her hand in his own. Her knuckles were swollen and one was bleeding a little.

“I’m sorry. You wouldn’t have gotten hurt, if it wasn’t for me,” he said. “And I really am glad you were here.”

“I know,” she replied. Kagome got up and grabbed Kikyou’s coat and put it on her.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Help me get her on the bed,” Kagome told him.

He did as she asked.

Kagome went to the bathroom and returned with the belts from the two robes that had been inside. She used them to tie Kikyou up.

“Kagome?” he questioned.

“After what we both went through, we aren’t leaving without some information. We should have just done this in the first place,” Kagome said. She put her hand on Kikyou’s forehead and sent just enough healing energy into her to wake her up.

Kikyou’s eyes shot to Kagome as she struggled to free herself. “You bitch,” she hissed. “He was mine before he was yours. You’ll pay for this.”

Kagome glared at her. “He was never yours,” she said. “You couldn’t even begin to understand exactly what that means. Now, you are going to tell us what you know about this demon who is after InuYasha.”

“Or what?” Kikyou asked.

“Or we’ll hand you over to Sesshomaru,” InuYasha told her. “He doesn’t have the same fondness for humans that I do. I doubt you would survive the encounter.”

Kikyou paled a little at InuYasha’s words. “If I tell you, then what?”

“Then we let you go,” Kagome replied. “But if I find out you tell anyone what happened tonight or that you try anything like this with InuYasha again, I’ll hand you over to Sesshomaru myself.”

“Fine,” Kikyou said at last. “I’ve never met the demon behind all this. My boyfriend Onigumo just reports to him and carries out his orders. I think they met at the research company he used to work at. The wolf demons have agreed to work with him because you got their leader arrested. They are out for revenge.”

“Who planted the bomb in my car and at Kagome’s old apartment?” InuYasha asked.

“Your car was done by the wolves. I don’t know about the other,” she said.

“Do you know anything else that has been planned?” he asked.

Kikyou took a deep breath. “You promise to let me go?”

“Yes,” Kagome replied.

“I was able to come tonight because Onigumo was going to be on an errand. I heard something about destroying the Higurashi Shrine,” she said softly.

Kagome shot InuYasha a look of panic.

“Call them,” he said.

He went to Kikyou and untied her. “Get out of here before I change my mind,” he growled, and Kikyou ran out of the room without looking back.

Kagome turned to him with tears in her eyes. “There’s no answer,” she said softly. “Why aren’t they answering?”

InuYasha went to her and pulled her into his arms. “Come on. We’ll go there right now,” he said. “Everything will be all right.”

She nodded and let him lead her away. They only stopped long enough to check out.

*****

They were in the car headed toward the shrine when InuYasha’s cell phone rang.

“Hello,” he said.

“You two need to get to the hospital,” came Miroku’s voice.

“What is it?” InuYasha asked.

“There was another fire, at the shrine,” he said.

“Mama, Souta, Jii-chan, how are they?” Kagome asked through her tears, loud enough that Miroku could hear her.

“I don’t know,” Miroku told InuYasha. “It was Kagome’s mother who called, so I’m sure she’s all right. She just said to come as soon as you could.”

“Thanks, Miroku,” InuYasha said.

They made their way to the hospital in silence. InuYasha knew that nothing he could say would make her feel any better, and he couldn’t help but blame himself for what was happening. He wondered how long it would be before she decided she was sorry for agreeing to be with him. The thought that she might leave him crept into his heart and it terrified him.


Just before they reached, the hospital Kagome became aware of InuYasha’s fear. It was projecting off him in waves and it was making her even more upset to think that he was worried about something.

*****

They went inside and were directed to the third floor.

Kagome was greeted at the elevators by bother her mother and her brother. Souta, Kagome saw, with much relief, looked no worse for wear. Her mother, she noted, had both hands bandaged. She hugged them both.

“Mama, what happened? Where’s Jii-chan?” she asked.

“I’m afraid the fire was started at his end of the house,” Asami said softly. “He was burned and inhaled a lot of smoke. It doesn’t look good.”

Kagome burst into tears. “I’m so sorry mama. This is all my fault!”

Her mother’s arms enveloped her. “Kagome, this is not your fault.”

“You’re right,” InuYasha interrupted. “It’s mine.”

“Both of you come with me,” Asami said in a tone that brooked no argument. She led them to the waiting room, which was empty. “Sit.”

They did as they were told.

“Now I don’t want to hear anymore from either of you about whose fault this is.”

“But it is my fault,” InuYasha protested. “This never would have happened if I hadn’t dragged Kagome into my life.”

“First of all, no one drags my daughter into anything. Second, how do you know this wouldn’t have happened?” Asami asked. “Kagome has gifts of her own. Who’s to say that whoever is doing this wouldn’t have found out about her any way and then you wouldn’t be around to protect her. You already saved her from Kouga. I prefer to place blame on the one who committed the crimes. To blame the good for the acts of the evil is in itself a crime. Can either of you honestly tell me that you would change what is between you?”

They both shook their heads.

“And that is the way it should be. I don’t know everything about your situation, but I know enough to realize that you two belong together. Since we all agree, please stop blaming yourselves for things that neither one of you can change, and instead, focus on what is important.” She leaned down and hugged them. “Now let’s go see your grandfather.”


Kagome followed her mother to her grandfather’s room. She went to stand by him and he looked at her from behind the oxygen mask and through heavily medicated eyes.

“Jii-chan, I can help you,” Kagome said softly.

“No child,” he rasped. “The kamis have come to me. It is my time to pass into the next life.”

Tears started to pour down Kagome’s cheeks.

“Don’t cry child. I have lived a long life. Use your gifts to protect those you love.”

Kagome nodded.

“I have said my goodbyes, now I can rest.” Those would be her grandfather’s last words.

*****

While she and her family did grieve the loss of the old man, it was true that he had indeed lived a long and full life, and it was a blessing that he had been granted the chance to say goodbye.

InuYasha and Kagome both insisted that her mother and brother come home with them at least for the night.

Souta went to sleep in Shippou’s room, and InuYasha insisted that Kagome and her mother take their room, saying that he would take the couch.

*****

InuYasha was trying to fall asleep when the bedroom door opened and Kagome came out. “What’s wrong?’

“I couldn’t sleep without you,” she said. “Is there room for me out here?”

He smiled at her and opened his arms. “Of course.”

She went to him and lay down on his chest.

He wrapped his arms around her and they fell asleep together.