InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Origins ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


Kikyou left the hotel as quickly as she could. Her head hurt and things had not gone at all as she had planned. She drove home and entered her apartment, leaning against the door as she shut it behind her. For some reason she hadn't been worried at all when InuYasha said that he would give her to Sesshomaru. She didn't really believe he would do it, but there hadn't been a doubt in her mind that his miko would. She overheard what the taiyoukai did to those who opposed him. Most recently, she had learned some of the more gruesome details of what had befallen a inu youkai spy that had been uncovered. She shuddered at the thought.

Kikyou suddenly found herself pinned to the wall by her throat. It was an all too familiar feeling since she had started seeing Onigumo.

“Where the hell have you been?” he asked.

“I went to see InuYasha,” she said. “I hoped to get some information to make up for screwing up before.”

“And did you?” he asked.

“I had him right where I wanted him but he had that little miko bitch hiding in the next room and she hit me. I think I was knocked out. When I got up they were gone,” she lied.

He narrowed his eyes at her. “So I guess that explains what happened to your face,” he said.

She nodded and he let go of her throat, and then he walked over to the couch and sat down. “I have to go see the boss in an hour to give a report on tonight's job. Come make yourself useful until then.”

Kikyou watched as he unbuttoned his jeans and waited. As she knelt on the floor
in front of him, she wondered why she put up with him in the first place. She fought her tears as he forced her over and over again to take him completely in her mouth causing her to gag, but she didn't dare stop or complain. Last time she had done that she ended up in bed for days recovering.

Onigumo pulled Kikyou to her feet. “I'm leaving,” he said. “Put some ice on your face. You look like shit.” With that, he grabbed his keys and strode out the door.


He drove to the outskirts of the city to what appeared to be nothing more than an abandoned warehouse, but was in fact far from it. It was actual a heavily guarded and secured building, shielded by both youkai magic and that of humans with spiritual power. It was a delicate balance designed not to attract the attention of those who would seek them out.

Onigumo opened the concealed keypad beside the door and entered the code as well as gave the required thumbprint scan to unlock the door. He was escorted through the building to the rear offices. Onigumo entered the dark office. He hated coming in and reporting directly to the creepy bastard he worked for, and usually he just phoned in the results of his various errands, but this time he had been told to come in person. He stood in front of the large desk and stared and the back of the chair that was occupied by his employer.

“Sit,” his employer said. It was an order, not a request, as were all the instructions he chose to give to those beneath him.

Onigumo sat down in one of the two chairs available and waited. The chair at the desk turned, and Onigumo shivered as the burning red eyes, with their
white pupils, bore into him. Even when he had worked at the research facility he had never seen eyes like those. Of course, he had been a janitor and his duties had not involved areas where the more secret experiments were being conducted.

On the outside, it had been a government research facility used to study demons. There was a lot of interest in demon anatomy, most especially their remarkable healing and reproductive ability - mainly the ability of youkai to consciously chose to conceive. The participants in these government-sanctioned tests were volunteers and well compensated, but there were other programs of a less well-known nature.

A few research programs were still for the government: the possibility of using demons as weapons and their ability to be controlled, the study and uses of the internally produced youkai poisons, and of the life extending nature of the mixing
of youkai blood with humans during mating. Theses programs, though less ethical and talked about, were still conducted without violating the rights of the participants.

Then there were private experiments of a far more sinister nature where the willingness of the participants was often over looked. It was strange how modern technology combined with a demon's youki, the very essence of what protected them, could be harnessed and used against them. New methods of genetic manipulation had been developed to be used specifically on youkai to allow the powers of one to be combined with those of another.

Researchers saw the many youkai deaths that resulted as sacrifices for the greater good of humanity. That's not to say some youkai weren't involved as well, but most were hanyou who had a fear or were jealous of pure demons.

Now sitting before him and waiting for him to speak was one such experiment. One of the first “successes” and greatest failures. One who had escaped control of his captors and was now filled with hate for all human kind and ready for retribution which he planned to visit upon humanity, as it was, extending far beyond those who had committed crimes against him.

Both chance and by Onigumo's assessment luck had brought him to the side of this demon. He had been at the facility that late night and had been given a choice when he came upon the slaughter that had taken place in a secure lab that whose door was standing open - serve and aid in the escape, or die. The choice had been clear. He had chosen to serve, and no one tried to hard to find and question him about that night, since technically, it never happened.

Onigumo tore his gaze from those disturbing eyes. “I did the job,” he offered. “I set the fire and made sure it was going good before left.”

“What of the family?” he asked.

“I don't know. The cops showed up so I split. I did see and ambulance taking someone away, though,” Onigumo replied. Something was wrong. He could sense it. All of this could have been handled over the phone. This was all leading up to what he really wanted to know.

“Why was your bitch seen meeting InuYasha Tashio earlier tonight?” his employer asked.

Then it all made sense. “She said she went to try and get information from him to make up for her failure before,” he replied. “She told me that the miko was there and knocked her out before she could find out anything useful and that they were gone when she woke.”

“Strange… My sources say that not only did she leave before the half-breed and his miko, but that she was wearing only a coat to cover almost nothing underneath. What would have been her purpose in that?” he asked.

Onigumo thought back to Kikyou and her dress when she had come in. She had been wearing a long coat though the weather was not damp or cool in the least. She also hadn't removed the coat while he was present…

That bitch. She lied. The whore went to fuck him.

“I see you have come to the same assessment as I as to her intentions,” the demon said.
“Now, on your life, tell me what she knows of my plans and how much the half-breed and the miko could have learned.”

His voice was even, but his tone made it clear that his life did indeed depend on his answer.

“Nothing really,” Onigumo said hastily. “I don't tell her anything she doesn't need to know. She knew I had a job tonight at the shrine and that you are working with the wolf demons, but that's all.”

“You do realize that she is rapidly becoming more trouble than any woman is worth,” he said. “Soon, if you are not able to remedy the situation, I will take it upon myself.”

“Don't worry, I'll make sure that bitch doesn't mess up again,” Onigumo assured him. “She'll know her place once I'm through with her.”

“Very well, but be warned if she disrupts my plan once more, you will both be held responsible,” he told him. “Now leave.”

Onigumo nodded and left the office. He became more relieved with each step he took that led him further away from his demon master. He let his thoughts turn to Kikyou and his anger grew. She knew better than to lie and she would have to pay. She was going to get both of them killed.


Red eyes closed and the knuckled of a pair of clawed hands cracked. Every day his plan was put in danger by the incompetents that served him. He picked up the phone and called his contact at the hospital. He was displeased to learn that the girl's mother and brother had both managed to escape unharmed. The only positive was that the old man was now dead, so it had not been a total loss.

*****

As a demon sat in a dark room across town coming up with another plan to drive the miko and her mate apart, Kagome began to enter a deeper sleep locked in InuYasha's embrace. A vision overtook her, and she gripped him more tightly.

**

Fierce red eyes with white centers stared at her from the darkness. A youki unlike any she had felt before surrounded her trying to get a measure of her power. She repelled it.

Slowly the demon's form became clearer. He had black hair, streaked with silver and red. His fangs and claws were long - longer than those of InuYasha when he transformed. She felt from him a hate so burning and so strong that she wanted nothing more than to escape its crushing weight.

As she tried to pull back she felt one thing more, something buried deep inside… sadness and pain…

**

Kagome jerked awake. She would have fallen off the couch had it not been for InuYasha holding her tightly. He sat up so that she was sitting in his lap.

“What's wrong?” he asked.

“I saw him,” she replied.

“You mean the demon that's behind
all this?”

Kagome nodded, saying, “His youki is so strange. I felt it. He is so angry, so full of hate.” She shuddered.

InuYasha hugged her to him and nuzzled her neck. “Don't worry, koibito,” he whispered. “I won’t let anything happen to you.” He laid back down pulling her with him and growled softly to sooth her. “Try not to think about it anymore just now. We'll talk more about it in the morning, after you've rested.”

He stroked her hair and soon she was sleeping once again.

*****

Asami woke early as she always did. It never failed that she woke at exactly seven in the morning, no matter how late she had been up the night before. After so many years of getting up to send the kids off to school, her body was simply too set in its routine to do otherwise. The first thing she noticed was that Kagome was not with her. She got up and looked out into the living room to find Kagome sleeping with InuYasha on the sofa. Smiling, she closed the door. She would wait a little longer before disturbing them.

*****

At half past eight, Asami left the bedroom, went into the kitchen, and started to make breakfast. The routine comforted her and it gave her something to keep her mind off the situation at hand. Despite her best efforts to remain quite, she woke InuYasha.

“Sorry to wake you,” she whispered when she noticed him watching her.

He shook his head dismissing her apology as unnecessary. As gently as possible, he removed Kagome from his chest and slid out from under her. She whined softly at his absence, but a soft growl and a kiss to her forehead calmed her and she remained asleep. He joined Asami in the kitchen.

“You don't have to do that,” he told her.

“I know,” she replied, “but I feel like I need to be doing something.”

He nodded.

“I would have slept on the sofa and let you and Kagome have the bed. It is your house after all.”

He shook his head. “It wouldn't have even been an issue as to where you were going to sleep if it hadn't been for me.”

“I thought we talked about this last night,” she scolded. “The only people to blame are those who committed the crime.”

“Still, I can't help but feel a little responsible, and that’s why I wanted to talk to you,” he said. “I haven't spoken to Kagome yet, but I'm sure she would agree. I want to send you and Souta away. Anywhere you want to go, just so that you are both away from here, and to ask if you would allow Shippou to go with you. I'll take care of everything.”

“I don't know,” she said.

“Will you at least consider it?” he asked. “Later, we can all talk it over again.”

“I guess there is no harm in thinking about it,” she replied.

“Think about what?” Kagome asked sitting up on the couch.

“Did we wake you dear?” Asami asked.

“No,” Kagome replied. A blush crept across her cheeks. “I missed InuYasha. I knew he wasn't beside me anymore and I wondered where he went.”

InuYasha crossed the room and gave her a hug. “Sorry, koi,” he said. “I wanted to talk to your mother.”

“What were you talking about?” she asked.

“Let's go get dressed,” he replied. “I'll tell you about it after.”

Kagome nodded and let him lead her into their room.

*****

About half and hour later, InuYasha and Kagome came out of their room. Breakfast was ready and Shippou who had woken at the smell of food and roused Souta with him were at the table. They all ate breakfast together, and when they finished, Kagome helped her mother clear the dishes.

“Mom,” Souta said. “Where are we going to live now? Are we going to stay here?”

“I don't know yet, Souta,” she replied.

“Mama, I think you and Souta should do what you and InuYasha talked about this morning,” Kagome offered. “I'd feel so much better knowing that you are safe.”

“What's that, sis?” Souta asked.

“That you, Mama, and Shippou should all take a trip somewhere - anywhere you want to go - like an extended vacation,” Kagome replied.

“Anywhere?” Souta asked.

Kagome nodded.

“Mom, I agree with Kagome and InuYasha.”

“I just don't know if it's a good idea,” Asami said. “I mean you have school…”

“Mama, I don't think that's really what you're worried about,” Kagome suggested. “Come talk to me in the other room.”

They went to the bedroom and shut the door.

“Mama, it's the money, isn't it?”

“I just wouldn't feel right,” she said. “What you are suggesting will likely cost quite a bit.”

“Mama trust me, you could go anywhere and stay in the most expensive hotel, eat at the finest restaurants and go shopping everyday for a year and InuYasha would still have more money than he could spend,” Kagome told her. “It has been hard for me to get used to as well. I mean, I never dreamed to be handed a credit card and told to have fun. He would rather know you are safe and be broke than have all his money and something happen to you when he could have stopped it. Besides, you always said that family takes care of each other and protects each other, that is all he's trying to do.”

“I know, but this is different,” she insisted.

“Is it really?” Kagome asked. “Can you honestly tell me that if you had more money than you could spend and it was InuYasha's home that was destroyed, that you wouldn't make sure he had a place to stay and more than that, anything he needed? Could you say that even as things are just being a simple shrine family, that you wouldn't have offered your home and anything you could spare? You can look at it this way: if it makes you feel better, by taking Shippou you are doing something for us in return. Please, Mama. I couldn't stand it if anything were to happen to you or Souta.”

“All right, Kagome, but I don't want anything extravagant, “ she agreed.

“Thank you, Mama.” Kagome said, giving her a hug. They went back to the kitchen and were met by several expectant faces. “It's all settled.”

“Good,” InuYasha replied. “As for school, I'm sure something can be worked out so Shippou and Souta won't fall behind.” Both boys groaned and InuYasha laughed. “Hey, you can't win them all, and school is important.”

*****

Kagome took her mother shopping for some clothes and other things they would need for their trip, while InuYasha set up all the arrangements.

They would be leaving the following day. He managed to get both Souta and Shippou permission to turn in their homework and take tests via the internet. He also gave Asami a credit card with no limit, since he knew she would be the one paying for the necessities, and since he knew she wouldn't take advantage of it as hesitant as she was to go in the first place. He then secretly gave cards with a weekly limit to both Souta and Shippou in case they saw something they wanted to buy.

*****

That night they all ate dinner together, and after, InuYasha took Shippou aside. “I wanted to see how you felt about going with Kagome's family.”

“I would rather stay here with you and Kagome, but I understand why you want me to go,” Shippou replied. “I mean, I can't really do anything to help, and more than likely, I`d just make things harder, since you both would be worried about me.”

“Going with them is helping,” InuYasha said. “It’s true that the main reason we want you to go is so that you’ll be safer, but you'll also be there in case some thing happens. They're humans and you're a youkai. Just like with my car, you'll know if something is wrong and be able to tell Kagome's mother and brother so they can get away. So, can I count on you to look after them for me?”

“I guess I can do that,” Shippou said.

Shippou went inside and Kagome came out. She put an arm around InuYasha's waist. “You know, you really are good with him,” she said. “Our children are going to be lucky to have such a wonderful father.”

“Our children, huh?” he asked. “How many?”

“Oh, I don't know,” she replied. “Three at least.”

“Sounds good to me,” he said. “Let's go inside. I'm sure you want to spend some time with your family before they leave tomorrow.”

Kagome nodded and let him lead her inside.

*****


The next day, they saw her mother, Souta, and Shippou off. Kagome, of course, cried, but she was also relieved that they would be less likely to be harmed.

Unbeknownst to all of them was that they were safer than they realized. Sesshomaru had taken it upon himself to make sure someone would be keeping an eye on them, both for their safety, and for the off chance that he might get some information, if anyone were to go after them.

Since it was Friday, both InuYasha and Kagome went from the airport to Sesshomaru's downtown office to tell him what they learned for Kikyou. It wasn't much, but at least now they had a hint about where to start looking for their unnamed foe.