InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Free Time ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


Kagome smiled as she looked at herself in the changing room mirror. She was more than a little excited about the events planned for the following evening. She couldn't help but be happy for Sango and Miroku. They were two of her best friends and they deserved to be happy together. While she was most excited about her friends pending engagement, she was sure her own evening would prove to worth smiling about.

Kagome stepped out of her stall, one hand clutched behind her back. “Sango, could you come zip me up?” she called. She went to stand between the three, angled, full length mirrors.


Sango stepped out of her own stall wearing a mid thigh length black dress. She tugged at the hem before coming up behind Kagome and zipping her dress. Sango eyed herself warily from behind Kagome. She didn't know why she had let Kagome talk her into trying the dress on in the first place.


Kagome noticed her friends less than enthusiastic expression and turned around. “Wow, Sango, that looks great on you!” Kagome said. “You have to get it.”

“I don't know,” Sango replied. “It's liable to give Miroku the wrong idea, and I really can't afford to spend this much on a dress I might never get the chance to wear.”

“Didn't Miroku tell you?” Kagome asked. “You and he are going to dinner with us tomorrow night.” It was a lie, but only a little one, and she had to make sure Sango would get the dress. She was sure Sango would forgive her.

“You don't think it's too much - too revealing?” Sango questioned.

“It's perfect. Miroku will love it,” Kagome insisted. “Let him sweat for change. You'll not only have his full attention, but that of every other man that gets a look at you. Well, except InuYasha, of course. He's all mine.”

Sango smiled. “You really think so?” she asked.

Kagome nodded.

“What the hell.”

“That's my girl,” Kagome said. “Miroku won't know what hit him.” And neither will you if he doesn't chicken out.

Kagome was pleased that things were going according to plan. Now she just had to convince Sango that she couldn't wear just any old thing under such an amazing dress, just in case.

Kagome looked in the mirror once more. Maybe I should get myself something too, just in case. She smiled at her reflection.

*****

Unfortunately, on the other side of town, InuYasha was not in such a pleasant mood. While it was true that his position and name held benefits, such as being able to set up a meeting with Kouga on such short notice, it also had its drawbacks. The necessity of dealing with the wolf demon, chained and currently seated across the table from him, being one of them.

“Come here to gloat, mutt face?” Kouga asked. “Or have you finally come here to kill me?”

InuYasha bit back his own insult and ignored overwhelming urge to reach across the table and rip the bastard's throat out. He clinched his teeth and took a deep breath. “Neither. I came here to talk,” He replied.

“Go to hell, dog turd.” Kouga snarled. “Spare me your bull shit. I'm not interested.”

InuYasha stood up. “I guess Sesshomaru was wrong about you when he said you might want to live,” he remarked casually as he headed for the door.

“Wait!” Kouga called, his tone now accommodating. “Let's talk.”

InuYasha returned to his seat. He hadn't missed the hint of desperation in Kouga's voice. I guess the wolf has survival instincts after all.

“You know, there's something different about you.”

“We're not here to talk about me,” InuYasha said. “Let me start by saying if this was only about me, then you'd be dead already, but it's not. People are dying, and more than that, for whatever reason, Kagome doesn't want you dead, so I am here to propose a deal. There will be no negotiating
. You either agree and swear a blood oath, or you can rot away in this shit hole. Is that clear?”

“Let's hear it,” Kouga replied.

“Your wolves have joined up with another demon to get revenge against me for you ending up in this place,” InuYasha started. “So far, two people have been killed. Sesshomaru is willing to forgive their attempt on his life and mine, as well as give them absolution for any other crimes up to this point, provided you can convince them to stop aiding out enemy. You will not be expected to join with us. Your only obligation will be to remain completely neutral.”

“What's in it for me?” Kouga asked.

InuYasha closed his eyes briefly before he answered. The vision of Kagome's terrified face flashed in his mind. He pushed it away before it caused him to reconsider. “If you agree, you live, and will be released with certain restrictions.”


“What kind of restrictions?” Kouga questioned, even though he knew he would likely to agree to almost anything. It didn't do any good to appear too eager.

“First, under no circumstances will you ever again come with in scenting distance of my mate. You will also be forbidden from ever attempting to court another human. If by some miracle you ever manage to find a female demon stupid enough to want to mate with you, you will have to get approval from Sesshomaru, so it can be proven that the female is willing,” InuYasha told him.

“Anything else?” Kouga asked.

“You lose all your standing among youkai; meaning you will longer be admitted to council events or involved in their decisions,” InuYasha replied. “The only standing you will retain will be over your tribe. All of this is, of course, dependent on your ability to control them and your willingness to turn over any who go against your wishes, to us.”

Kouga didn't need to think before he gave his answer. He wanted to live and he knew this was a one-time offer. He didn't have to work with the dogs after all. He just had to agree not to work against them.

“I'll take the deal,” Kouga said.

“You will swear a binding blood oath?” InuYasha asked.

“On one condition,” Kouga replied.

“I said you had to take the deal as it was, no conditions,” InuYasha interrupted.

“Just hear me out, mutt,” Kouga said. “It doesn't go against any of your other conditions.”

InuYasha remained silent and Kouga took it as a sign to continue.

“I don't want future generations of my tribe to be punished for my actions. I want your word that we will be permitted to earn back our standing among youkai.”


InuYasha considered it for a moment and then pulled out his phone. Sesshomaru told him to handle Kouga however he saw fit, but what Kouga was asking would require his approval as well. InuYasha stepped out of the room when the phone started to ring.

“InuYasha,” Sesshomaru said.

“I'm with the wolf,” InuYasha replied. “I made the offer and he took it, but he wants us to agree to give his tribe the chance to earn their standing back.”

“You would not be calling if you were not willing to entertain his stipulation,” Sesshomaru said. “Tell me what you wish to do.”

InuYasha thought about what Kouga was asking. He also thought about what Kagome would have wanted him to do. He knew that if it meant saving lives, Kagome would want him to agree. “I say we agree, but with a condition of our own,” he told him. “50 years or a new leader.”

“That is acceptable,” Sesshomaru replied. “The monk is with you to seal the oath?”

“Yeah, and I have the documents that need to be signed with me as well,” InuYasha said.

“Very well. See it done,” Sesshomaru finished and hung up.

InuYasha went back to where he had left Kouga waiting.

“You can start earning back status in fifty years or when a new leader is chosen,” InuYasha announced. “Well wolf, what's it going to be?”

“Let's get this over with so I can get the hell out of here,” Kouga replied.

InuYasha called Miroku, as well as one of Sesshomaru's lawyers, into the room. The agreement was signed amended with Kouga's stipulation added and he was presented with a restraining order. Then with his blood, Kouga bound himself to Miroku.

“You better keep up you end of the deal,” InuYasha said when it was done.

“You think I want to get purified, mutt face?” Kouga asked in reply. “I know what the consequences of a blood oath are.”

InuYasha left with Miroku hoping that he had made the right decision, but more than that, hoping Kagome would think he had as well. He wasn't worried that Kouga would come after Kagome. Part of the blood oath allowed Miroku to sense both Kouga's location and intentions when they went against his promise. He was concerned that he had let the wolf demon off too easy. Appearing weak was something they could not afford, especially not now. Knowing that his decision had been based on what was best for everyone assuaged his doubts somewhat, but he couldn't dismiss his instincts as easily.

*****

Kagome entered the house followed closely by Sango. Before she even had time to utter a greeting or set down her shopping bags, she found herself swept up in InuYasha's arms. She dropped her bags and wrapped her arms around him as he kissed her. When he broke their kiss she laughed.

“Well, hello to you to,” she said breathlessly. “Happy to see me?”

“Do you have to ask?” he replied.

“I guess not.”

“Can we talk?” he asked.

Kagome was puzzled by his abrupt change in mood. “Of course,” she replied. “What's wrong?”


Just as Kagome asked, Sango returned from taking her bags to the room she shared with Miroku. Kagome and InuYasha turned to face her. Sango noted their serious expressions.

“Oh, am I interrupting?” she asked.

“No, not at all,” Kagome replied. “Did you need something?”

“Not really,” she said. “Miroku wanted me to see if pizza was all right for the two of you for dinner, or if you'd rather we get something else.”


InuYasha didn't really care. He looked at Kagome and she gave a small nod. “That's fine,” he told Sango. Putting an arm around Kagome's waist, he and led her to their room.


Sango watched them go and was on the phone with the pizza place when she felt an arm come around her waist. The hand attached to that arm hadn't so much as grazed her backside
, causing her to turn in surprise to see who the man holding her could be, since it couldn't possibly be Miroku. He would never have held her in such a way and not taken the opportunity to grope her, but it was him. The look in his eyes was unfamiliar and she felt her stomach flip. Thankfully she managed to finish the order before she stopped being able to think all together.


Miroku saw his beautiful Sango standing talking on the phone, completely unaware that he watching her, admiring her. As hard as it was to resist touching her perfectly sculpted behind, he somehow managed and put an arm around her waist. Resisting the temptation had been worth it when he saw the surprise on her face. A strange feeling of calm came over him as he held onto the thought that in a day’s time he was going to ask her to be his wife.

He reached up and ran his fingers along the side of her face before tucking a stray hair behind her ear. He could see her confusion and knew that she was struggling to understand what had come
over him. They were close and had been in significantly more intimate situations, but rarely was he so tender without trying something sexual.

“Where are Kagome and InuYasha?” he asked, his arm still around her waist.

“They went to their room,” she managed to reply. “I think InuYasha is upset about something. I heard Kagome ask him what was wrong.”

Miroku nodded and noticed that Sango was having trouble holding his gaze. She was even blushing slightly.

“We saw Kouga today. It makes sense that he would have his doubts about the deal he made with the wolf demon,” Miroku told her.


Once in their room, InuYasha sat on the edge of their bed. Kagome sat down beside him and rested her head on his shoulder.

“Would you mind if I just held you for a little while?” he asked.

She smiled at him. “You can hold me for as long as you want.”

They lay on the bed together for several minutes. InuYasha held Kagome tightly, her face buried in his chest. He sighed heavily and at last broke the silence. “I saw Kouga today.”

“Oh,” she replied. “What happened?”

“We made a deal. He’s going to stop his tribe from planning anymore attacks and turn in any who go against his wishes,” InuYasha said.

“Well, that's a good thing, right?” she asked.

“That's what I wanted to ask you,” he replied. “Kagome, I had to let him out.” He watched her carefully for her reaction and it wasn't but a few seconds before he scented the one thing he had been dreading: her fear.

“Damn it. I knew this was a bad fucking idea. I`m sorry Kagome. Don`t be afraid.” InuYasha began cursing himself under his breath as he sat up against the headboard.


She had been afraid for a second upon hearing that Kouga was free, but only for as long as it took her to remember that she had nothing to fear as long as she had InuYasha . He protected her in all ways and knew that he would die before he let anything happen
to her. She moved so that she had one knee on each side of his legs and took his face in her hands.

“No, InuYasha. I'm sorry,” she said gently.

He stopped mumbling and looked at her. “Why?”

“Because, even if was only for a moment, I doubted you,” she replied. “I trust you to protect me. I always have. You did what needed to be done and I'm proud of you.” She began to rub his ears. “So, can you ever forgive me, koibito?”

He leaned up and captured her lips in a kiss. She moaned as he thrust his hips upwards and ground against her, laughing when his mouth left her lips in favor or her neck.

“Is that a yes?”

“That's a yes,” he told her. He groaned loudly as she continued what he had started by rubbing against him. “Fuck, Kagome.”

He was about to rip her shirt off and move things along when he heard a knock at their door. They both stopped and looked at the door.

“The food has arrived,” Miroku called. “Of course, if you are otherwise occupied, don't worry about joining us.”

“Damn pervert,” InuYasha growled. He was all set to pick up where they had left off, but Kagome was already getting up.

She straightened her clothes, looking back at him when he whined softly, “Can't we eat later?”

She laughed softly at his pout. “I'm hungry, but don't worry I won't forget that we have unfinished business,” she told him. “Just remember where we were and I'll be more than willing to pick this back up after I've eaten.”

He scowled and sighed but made no more protest. Instead he got up and followed her out of the room.


Kagome was fully prepared for Miroku to make a hentai remark when she and InuYasha came out of their room and he didn't disappoint.

“I wasn't expecting the two of you so soon,” Miroku said. “Tell me Kagome, do things between you always conclude so prematurely?”

Kagome blushed.

“Watch it, bouzo,” InuYasha growled. “Your one to talk since you never even get started.”

Sango and Kagome laughed at Miroku's indignant expression.

“Serves you right for talking about things that are none of your business,” Sango said.

“I am so misunderstood,” Miroku sighed. The other three just shook their heads. Some things never change.

The conversation was light as they ate together. It was nice to sit together and eat a meal in peace, not worrying about anything except enjoying each other’s company. With all that was
going on, they had far too little time to spend together as friends should. The pizza was gone relatively quickly, due mostly to the ravenous hanyou.

“It has just occurred to me,” Miroku started. “Since the four of us have been back together, we have not gone out for the purpose of simply having fun. Tonight would seem like the perfect opportunity. I know I could do with a break from thinking about fighting demons.”

There was a moment of silence following Miroku's suggestion. No one could quite believe that he had suggested something that actually might be a good idea, not involving anything perverted.

“It’s still early,” Kagome offered glancing at InuYasha. “Though I don't know exactly where we would go.”

“I might know someplace,” InuYasha said. “It's a youkai club. Humans can only get in if they have a youkai with them, since you don't have to wear concealments inside. They keep the music at a level that doesn't make my head want to explode. There’s also spells that keep fights from breaking out, and you get a nasty shock if you start trouble. I’ve never taken
any humans there before, but since you three aren’t intimidated by youkai, it should be all right.”

“Sounds good to me,” Kagome said.

“Well, Sango, what do you say?” Miroku asked.

Sango wasn't too crazy about gong to a club where there would no doubt be female youkai, since they tended to be both beautiful and exotic and Miroku would no doubt be distracted by them, but he would be distracted by beautiful woman any where they went. There was also InuYasha to consider. The music at clubs was often too loud for her liking. She could only imagine what it did to InuYasha's sensitive ears.

“As long as Kagome helps me find something to wear,” She replied, and Kagome jumped up grabbed Sango's hand.

Kagome bypassed Sango's clothes all together in favor of her own. She found Sango a black skirt that would reach just below mid thigh and a dark pink, sparkly tank top, and sent her to her room to get ready. Then for fun, she picked out a pair of black straight led slacks and a red muscle shirt for InuYasha. She called them into their room and searched for her own clothes.


“I guess I'm supposed to wear this,” he called.

Kagome stepped out of the closet wearing a black halter dress. InuYasha debated whether or not he could get away with demanding she put something else on. She looked amazing.

“Well?” she said.

He put his arms around her and growled softly. “Do we have to go out?”

She smiled. “Yes. Now, hurry and get dressed,” she replied, leaving him to get dressed, and went to the bathroom to do her hair.

Surprisingly, they found themselves waiting on Miroku. At last he came out of the bedroom. He had on a dark purple silk shirt and a pair of skintight black leather pants.

“Are we ready?” he asked, and everyone else nodded.

As they walked out to the car, Kagome leaned over to InuYasha.

“Why don't you have any pants like that?” she asked. “I bet the view would be amazing.”

InuYasha coughed a little. “What?” he replied. “I wouldn't be caught dead-”

“You wouldn't wear them, even for me?” Kagome interrupted.

He sighed. “Only for you, koibito,” he told her.

She smiled.

*****

It was nearly nine when they arrived at the club. InuYasha offered his hand to help Kagome out of the car. She looked around and saw that all the people waiting to get in where watching them exit Sesshomaru's limo, which left her wondering if she could ever get used to this kind of life. She hoped things would return to normal once they didn't have to worry about the demon that was after them.


Miroku followed Kagome out, but not before getting slapped by Sango.

“What was that for?” he protested.

“For thinking about groping Kagome when she got out, pervert,” Sango replied.

Miroku sighed and climbed out, offering his hand to Sango. She took it, and once she was out, they followed InuYasha to the door. As they approached the door Miroku felt a tug on his connection to Kouga. He decided to wait until he could speak to InuYasha alone, since he could feel no threatening intent.

The doorman gave a small bow as InuYasha approached, and Kagome could tell the man was a
boar youkai. He pulled aside the rope to let them pass. InuYasha inclined his head slightly in acknowledgement and ushered Sango and Kagome in just ahead of himself and Miroku.

Miroku caught his arm.

“I think Kouga is nearby,” he said softly. “But I do not think he realizes that he is too close to Kagome, since I cannot feel his intent.”

“Bastard must be here,” InuYasha replied. “There's so many youkai here I can't pick up his scent. Let's fond somewhere to sit and then split up and find him. I don't want Kagome to run into him.”

Miroku nodded.


Kagome looked back to see InuYasha and Miroku discussing something with serious expressions on their faces.

“Come on, Sango, let's find a place to sit. They'll catch up,” Kagome said.


Sango nodded. She had to admit it was pretty nice place, and though it was mostly youkai, she guessed about a fourth of the people must be human. The music was at the perfect level and no one really paid any attention to them as they walked toward the back of the club. Sango was jerked from her thoughts by Kagome, who bumped into her.

“Excuse me…” Kagome started. The man Kagome had run into turned around, and Kagome suddenly had a very tight grip on Sango's hand.


InuYasha and Miroku were just heading off to catch up to Sango and Kagome, when InuYasha took off with his youkai speed, pushing a few people out of his way.


Kagome blinked when all of the sudden she could only see silver and red. She relaxed some. InuYasha was here now, growling.

“Relax mutt,” Kouga said. “I didn't smell her until she bumped into me. I was just leaving anyway.”

“Damn right you were,” InuYasha replied.

Kouga called to the female wolf demon he had been dancing with. “Ayame, let's roll. The smell in here just became unbearable.” Kouga smirked at InuYasha as he made his way to the door.

“Hella mangy… fucking bastard,” InuYasha cursed. He turned around. “Kagome are you all right?”

She breathed a sigh of relief and smiled. “I'm fine,” she insisted. “What did he mean he didn't smell me?”

“He isn't allowed within scenting distance or 500 meters of you at any time,” InuYasha told her. “It was part of the deal. He has to leave anywhere you show up. If he doesn`t, or if he even thinks about hurting you, Miroku can sense it and purify him if he needs to.”

She frowned. “It would have been nice for you to have told me sooner. I wouldn't have been so worried,” she said. “Oh well, enough about Kouga; he's gone and I want to have some fun.” She grabbed InuYasha's hand and pulled him behind her. “Dance with me.”

InuYasha put his hands on Kagome's hips and pulled her against him. Miroku and Sango followed suit. The couples danced and were having a great time, unaware that their enjoyment was likely to be short lived.

*****

“Hello?”

“Bos s, I have some news,” a small raspy voice said. “The younger brother and his mate are here, accompanied by two humans.”

“Where is here, you fool?”

“Forgive me,” the small green demon pleaded into the phone. “They are at Club Youkai.”

“You shall be rewarded for this. I am sending them a surprise to meet them when they leave. You have done well.”

“Thank you, sir,” the toad-like creature said, but the phone was already dead.

*****

A/N: Now the action starts. (at last I know) I know it is a bad place to stop but it would have been a lot worse for me to leave off after the next scene, so I decided to put it in the next chapter.

Note the club they are at is in an a building that most think is abandoned to, it is referred to as club youkai by demons since it has no other name.

Sorry for the delay. In honesty this chapter changed quite a bit and I had originally intended to put in some Sango and Miroku fluff along with their engagement but I was otherwise inspired and decided it was time to speed up the story a bit. I am going to start the next chapter now and though I won't make any promises I will try to have it out in less than a week. It is going to be a crazy one so be prepared.