InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Back at camp ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================


Chapter 4 – Back at camp





It was a quiet, peaceful night. Although it was still early spring, the night air had a pleasant quality to it, void of any lingering winter chill. Slowly, groggily, a kitsune child drifted awake, his subconscious not so much disturbed by a lacking of familiar body warmth, as a lacking of familiar scent. Where was Kagome?

Blinking to clear his sleep-blurred vision, Shippo glanced around their campsite, the dying embers of their small fire providing his youkai eyes with more than enough light to see by. Kagome was gone. His first thought, that perhaps she had merely slipped away to relieve herself, was quickly squashed by the realization that her lingering scent was much too weak. It took time for scent transfers to fade to this extinct, and deeply sniffing the sleeping bag he rested on revealed that she’d been gone for at least thirty minutes. A more thorough glance around their campsite revealed that a second member was also missing from their group, and his slowly rising panic began to settle back down at the realization that Inuyasha was gone as well. He would never let anything happen to Kagome.

But then again, where was she? If she had merely gotten lost, wouldn’t he have retrieved her by now? He was reminded again of how long she had been absent.

Then another, more horrifying thought struck him. What if Inuyasha wasn’t the one who had left camp to follow Kagome? What if Kagome was the one who had left camp to follow Inuyasha? That stupid, insensitive baka! Kagome could be in real danger, prey for some nocturnal predator, all because he had to see his stupid dead ex-girlfriend! He had to be strong, Shippo told himself then, while puffing up his chest. If Kagome was in danger, then it was up to him to track her down. This was no time to act like a little kid.

His attention was instantly pulled to somewhere deep within the woods by the distant sound of Kagome screaming Inuyasha’s name. Apparently, he hadn’t been the only one to hear it, either, as Kirara, and even the two humans, began to stir.

“Did you hear that, Houshi?” asked a worried Sango. Her mind had also started running away with her upon the realization that her friend was no longer in her sleeping bag.

“That was Kagome!” Shippo said, grateful that the adults were waking up.

“Where is Inuyasha?” asked Miroku, as he rose to his feet, gripping his staff in a protective stance.

Despite the worry of her companions, Kirara remained untransformed, having detected no measure of fear or pain in Kagome’s cry. She knew the miko and hanyou had left camp together, after all, and given the circumstances, she had a fairly good idea what they were doing. The others at camp may have been blind to the lingering scents of arousal on both the hanyou and miko, but she was well aware of how the current season had been affecting their leader. Now, if only the other resident youkai in their group could think things through for a minute…

“Who cares where that baka is?” Shippo protested loudly. “Kagome’s in danger!”

With that declaration, he began running off in the direction he’d heard Kagome’s scream come from, although he had to stop at the edge of the woods to wait for his slower human companions to catch up with him.

“What are you waiting for!?”

Sango was confused by Kirara’s lack of enthusiasm, as she remained in kitten form, meowing to her mistress in a tone she knew the slayer would understand meant that there was no danger.

“Sango?” Miroku voiced, sensing his companion’s uncertainty.

“It’s Kirara.” she answered, worried but trusting. “She doesn’t seem to be concerned.”

Miroku relaxed a little at her words, and thought of the situation rationally. “Well, we did hear Kagome cry out to Inuyasha, so we can most likely assume that he was in the vicinity, and has since come to her rescue. I’m certain that were our companion still in immediate danger, Kirara would be the first to rush to her aid.”

At that, Kirara meowed at the monk in an acknowledgment of his statement. Of course she would never let any harm befall Kagome. While she was unable to communicate with her companions word for word, she was usually pretty good at getting her point across.

But suddenly, the sound of another short, pain filled scream from Kagome, rekindled the worry of everyone present. Even Kirara was somewhat concerned that time, and decided that it wouldn’t hurt to investigate after all, just in case.

Their kitsune companion was two steps ahead of them.

“Oh no! Kagome!” Shippo screamed as he darted off into the woods, no longer caring if anyone followed him.

The others were quick to give chase, but Kirara could not in good conscious abandon her human companions, and flying with them through the dense forest wasn’t really an option, so Shippo gained a bit of a lead. He was running as fast as his little legs would carry him, but thankfully, he had enough sense about him to keep his senses on alert, just in case something should think to snatch him up in his distraction, so he had his ears wide open to absorb all of the various forest sounds around him. It was when certain sounds not natural to the forest began registering in his brain that he came to a screeching halt, a deep blush staining his cheeks.

Uh-oh…

Fortunately, they were still too far away for the humans to hear what was going on with their weaker hearing. And speaking of humans, it was around that time that a panting Miroku and Sango suddenly caught up with him, a cautious Kirara by their side. They were definitely puzzled by the child’s embarrassed expression, or at least Sango was, as a perverted grin slowly started finding its way to Miroku’s lips, and a look of acceptance dawned in the neko’s eyes.

Ignoring both Miroku and Sango for a moment, Shippo addressed Kirara first.

“You already knew, huh?”

In answer, the fire-neko reverted herself back into kitten form and meowed. She could hear the same things Shippo could, now that they had traveled a fair distance from camp, so her momentary concern at Kagome’s perceived pain was well alleviated.

“Shippo?” Sango asked hesitantly, glancing back and forth between the fox cub and her neko companion. “Knew what?”

Miroku’s grin only grew wider.

“They’re mating.” he answered matter-of-factly.

Miroku choked on the bluntness of the kit’s statement, while Sango gaped at him in disbelief.

Shippo just rolled his eyes at their antics. For as young as he was, he was far more knowledgeable than anyone usually gave him credit for. Even though it was true that he was just a kid, youkai children learned of adult things such as mating at extremely tender ages. Or at least, all the children from species with decent ears and noses certainly did. After all, it wasn’t like his parents had stopped mating just because they’d had a son. Focusing again on the here and now, he found himself unable to hide his smirk at the taijiya’s current expression. He actually found it rather amusing, the number of times he’d played dumb to the monk’s innuendos, or allowed one of them to end a conversation with that stupid line “I’ll tell you when you’re older.” They just didn’t get it. Inuyasha understood; some things were just different with youkai. He may be hanyou, but apparently even he was still driven by his inu-youkai instincts. That much had become painfully obvious.

“Sh-Shippo!” Sango stuttered, horribly embarrassed. “What do you mean?” she asked, even though she knew exactly what he meant.

She only hoped that Kagome knew what it meant to be mated to an inu-youkai, or even half of one. She tried to push her worry aside, however, never in a million years believing that Inuyasha would be heartless enough to simply allow himself to give into his lust without first explaining the repercussions of their actions. Besides, she knew how deeply in love her miko friend was with the hanyou in question, so even if discovering that she was bound to him for the rest of her life came as a surprise, it would be a pleasant one, she was sure.

In answer to the slayer’s question, Shippo merely raised an eyebrow, suddenly looking much older than he actually was, as he asked her in return “What do you think I mean? It is ‘mating season’ after all.”

“I…” Sango started, hesitantly, before deciding to change the topic a little bit. “I hadn’t been aware that Inuyasha suffered from the effects of…mating season.”

“Me neither.” Shippo admitted, giving Kirara a nod before turning to head back the way they came. “Guess he was pretty good at hiding it until now.” Turning to look over his shoulder at the two stunned humans standing behind him, he added “Come on, let’s go back to bed. Kagome’s not in any danger.”

“So then, her screams?” commented the lecherous monk, a smirk in his eyes.

“Come on, letch.” Sango said behind a blush, while grabbing his arm and forcing him to head in the direction of their camp. She may have been shocked by the news, but she was not about to let him turn their conversation into something perverted. “Let’s just go. I seriously doubt they’d appreciated it much if we interrupted them.”

“Especially since this is their first time.” Shippo added.

“Oh, really?” Miroku’s grin grew even wider.

“Let’s go.” Sango insisted, practically dragging Miroku after Shippo and Kirara’s trail, as the two small youkai moved through the forest ahead of them.

But while the monk would admit to having a few perverted thoughts on the subject, what he was really thinking was It’s about time. He would have to ask Inuyasha to share his secrets, he mused, his hand beginning to wander along with his mind.

A resounding SLAP could suddenly be heard by both Shippo and Kirara, who turned around in time to see Miroku rubbing the red handprint on his face. Sango, blushing madly, walked briskly past the two youkai towards their campsite. The kit merely rolled his eyes at the hentai, smirking “You coming?” before turning and following Sango.

Not any time soon, I imagine he thought in dismay, before heading after his companions somewhat forlornly.

His demeanor instantly brightened, though, at the realization that he was just in time for a rather interesting conversation.

Sango, now laying back down in her bedroll, quietly asked Shippo “Uh, how did you…I mean…that is, how can you tell…about Inuyasha and Kagome? I mean, are you sure?

Miroku entered the clearing just in time to hear Sango’s question, feeling fortunate that he hadn’t missed out on the answer, as he settled himself into his own bedroll.

“Yes, Shippo, do tell.” he said behind a smirk, trying for all the world to appear innocent and curious. “Could you perhaps hear other…noises…that we humans with our weakened hearing were not privy to?”

“Houshi!” Sango scolded.

“Actually, he’s right.” Shippo admitted, and Sango’s scarlet cheeks made their third appearance for the night.

“It’s about time, if you ask me.” the kit added, and Sango thought her face couldn’t get any hotter.

“I agree.” Miroku, commented, proving Sango wrong. But for once, the hentai houshi wasn’t being perverted, as he added, “But Inuyasha never appeared to act as though he had any intention of approaching our beloved miko, so why all of a sudden?”

“Probably ‘cause it’s mating season.” Shippo reminded.

“Ah, yes, of course.”

Sango flashed Miroku a ‘Don’t get any ideas’ expression, before redirecting her attention back toward Shippo, a look of shock and disbelief clearly reflected in her eyes.

Shippo seemed to read Sango’s mind for a moment, seeing her expression morph into one of utter shock and bewilderment at his mature statements.

“Don’t worry,” he assured her, “I’m still too young for the springtime to effect me personally, if that’s what you’re wondering.” He saw her expression relax somewhat, although mild confusion was still present in her gaze, so he continued. “All canine youkai pups learn of such things at early ages.” he explained, while settling himself back down in Kagome’s sleeping bag, sprawling out over the larger space provided by her absence. “Our parents just don’t see fit to keep such things a secret.”

Sango seemed to accept the kit’s explanation, and could certainly tell that none of this seemed to be fazing him very much. Miroku looked a little too happy about everything, in a rather familiar and lecherous way, but she supposed that couldn’t be helped. Sango only hoped that the love she knew Kagome felt for Inuyasha was truly reciprocated, and that he hadn’t allowed his hormones to force him into a commitment he didn’t really want. She didn’t want to see her friend’s heart broken into a million pieces the following morning, which would surely be the case, if Inuyasha acted as though he were stuck with her against his will. After a few moments of quite, Sango actually started thinking that she would be able to drift back to sleep fairly soon, when she suddenly heard what sounded like Inuyasha now screaming Kagome’s name. Blushing yet again, she looked over at Miroku who she could tell was trying to pretend he was asleep, all the while sporting a rather perverted smile. If Shippo had heard it, he’d ignored it, as did Kirara. Well, she thought, it certainly sounded as though Inuyasha wanted her. After silence again dominated the air for a few more minutes, Sango finally drifted back to sleep.