InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ It’s just a harmless little bunny… ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================


Chapter 8 – It’s just a harmless little bunny…



Making their way back into the village, Kagome was greeted, as usual, by a flying ball of orange fur that had launched itself in her general direction.

Shippo was startled when, this time, Kagome reached up with her hands in time to catch him, rather than just absorbing the force of his launch with her body, as she’d always done in the past.

“Kagome! You’re back!” he exclaimed joyously.

“Yes Shippo…” she said, gently putting the child down on the ground. “I’m home.” she answered softly.

Shippo didn’t get the deeper meaning at first, merely nodding his approval. Then a subtle, yet noticeable change in her scent suddenly caught his attention.

*sniff sniff*

“You smell like…” he started hesitantly, not wanting to get in trouble if he said the wrong thing.

Inuyasha’s low, instinctive growl told him that he’d better not threaten, or insult, his mate.

“You smell like Inuyasha…” he finally ventured, “I mean…more than before…”

They could tell by his tone of voice that he wasn’t upset. He was simply confused, trying to figure out how her scent had changed to add the mix of inu-youkai to her human blood. The sudden look of understanding they saw stretch across Shippo’s face, along with his smile, told them that he’d figured it out. Inuyasha hadn’t been sure if Shippo would understand the bonding. Though kitsune are another breed of youkai that mate for life, Inuyasha was not aware of any that had ever taken a human mate. But with the way that Shippo had taken to a few village girls in the past, though, he quietly mused to himself that the runt would probably be the first.

Inuyasha had to suppress the color that wanted to rise up his cheeks, when Shippo suddenly turned to him, and, as serious as ever, said bluntly…

“You really mean it, huh?”

Inuyasha knew what he meant, since some youkai who take a human may stay with that human throughout their life, and then take a youkai mate at a later time. He hadn’t brought that up when he’d spoken with Kagome about the blood-bond, because the reasoning he had used in his argument had also been the truth, as many humans, his mother included, did know about, and reject the bonding. The few humans who remained unaware that such a thing was even an option, because their youkai partners failed to mention it, didn’t count. He hadn’t kept Kagome in the dark. He’d told her about the bond because he wanted to perform it, hoping, praying, that she wouldn’t reject him. And she hadn’t…Kagome was his forever now.

“Yeah, I do.” he replied in answer to Shippo’s statement, while wrapping an arm around Kagome’s waist in order to pull her in closer, but in an affectionate way, not a possessive way.

Shippo and Kagome exchanged smiles, before he quickly turned and scurried himself back towards Kaede’s hut, to let the others know that she was back.

`````````````

Upon reaching Kaede’s hut, it was the standard greetings, as the two miko said their hellos, then goodbyes, before the group headed back out on the road again.

“So, Inuyasha…” Miroku started up once they were on their way down the trail. “Stayed the night in Kagome’s time?”

He promptly received an elbow in the side for his question. Looking over at the woman whose beautiful elbow had just graced him with its presence, he managed to mutter through the sharp jab of pain “Why Sango…I was merely concerned for his whereabouts. When he didn’t return, I was worried, since-”

“Since you couldn’t grill me for details.” Inuyasha mumbled low, but loud enough so they’d hear him. Miroku instantly took on an expression meant to portray how innocent he was, and then Inuyasha mumbled something else that Sango and Miroku couldn’t hear, but had Kagome and Shippo trying to suppress their laughter.

“What was that?” Sango asked. Guessing by the reactions of two of her companions, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to know.

(Inuyasha had said that he wished Miroku would get some experience of his own, and leave him alone.)

“Any rumors while we were gone?” Kagome asked, quickly changing the subject.

“No current rumors as to the location of Naraku…” Miroku began, his voice currently void of any lecherous smirks, since he was perfectly capable of being serious, when the moment called for it.

“…but,” he continued, “there was a rumor of another jewel shard.”

It was Sango who then added. “A villager from the east past through here yesterday during his travels, and said that a village near his homeland has been suffering over the presence of a lower rabbit youkai.”

“Keh, a rabbit?” Inuyasha asked in almost a chuckle.

“Well, apparently…” Miroku continued. “…their village is near a burrow of rabbit youkai, who had never been much more than a nuisance, occasionally raiding the gardens, until one of them suddenly grew to a tremendous size, and now, practically eats the entire village, literally, and physically destroys it when it hops through.

“They’ve tried to shoo it away…” Sango added. “…but there’s no skilled slayers, and-”

“No skilled hunters either, apparently.” Inuyasha interrupted with a smirk.

Sango cleared her throat and continued… “And, the thing’s hide has grown so thick, that common weapons will not pierce it.”

“What are its attacks?” Inuyasha asked next. “Nose-twitch attack? Or blades of cotton-tail?” He was finding it very hard not to laugh at his own jokes.

“Okay, so we’re heading east?” Kagome asked, cutting off Inuyasha before he could come up with any more ‘attacks’ for the rabbit youkai. She didn’t dare look at him at the moment, or she, too, would have busted up laughing, just as Shippo had. But she knew it wasn’t really that funny, if the thing was causing that much damage. But neither Sango nor Miroku had mentioned anything about the creature actually being vicious¸ so hopefully they could just remove the shard without killing it.

Deciding that they’d better hurry, Sango, Miroku, and Shippo all took flight on Kirara, while Inuyasha ran through the forest with Kagome perched securely on his back.

Once they arrived at the village the traveler had said was the one under ‘attack’, everyone slowed to a walk, as they approached with an air of caution.

“I definitely smell the evidence of a rabbit.” Inuyasha commented matter-of-factly.

“I definitely see the ‘evidence’ of a rabbit!” Shippo suddenly spouted, laughing again.

“It’s as big as you!” Inuyasha commented in return, laughing as well.

“Focus…” Kagome piped up, while snapping her fingers in front of her mate’s face.

“Huh? Oh, right…” He looked like he was going to be serious for a moment, but then looked back at the giant rabbit pellet. “Damn.”

Well he’s useless… Kagome smirked to herself, deciding to take matters into her own hands. She admitted to herself that it was a nice change to see Inuyasha acting so amused; he had a nice laugh.

As the group walked through the village, they saw the villagers all attempting to restore some of the huts that were in various stages of disarray. Then they came upon the remains of the garden, which looked as though it’d been dug up by a dinosaur or something. This was actually rather serious; they could all starve without their crops.

Sniffing, Kagome followed the scent of the rabbit youkai as it exited the village on the other side. Had it recently rained, they could have all easily tracked the yard long tracks it would have made in the mud. At first, Sango had thought Kagome was leading them by sensing the jewel shard, but then suddenly, after she’d already been leading them for a few minutes, she then proclaimed that she could now sense the shard, since they were getting closer. Miroku had noticed Kagome sniffing the air, but had known better than to make a comment of it, at least right now.

Coming upon the burrow, which laid in the woods not too far away from the village, they found the rest of the normal rabbit youkai, which weren’t too far off from mortal rabbits, except that they sort of looked like tiny rabbit sized human/rabbit mutants of some sort. Imagine the humanized white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, come Halloween time.

Their front paws were hands, their front and back paws bearing horridly sharp claws, and their buckteeth were razor sharp as well. Of course, let us not forget the glowing red eyes. Gotta have glowing red eyes, right? But even as threatening as they looked, they weren’t about to go leaping at their throats. They were still herbivores…it was all for self-defense.

“Okay, so where’s the one who ate the village?” Inuyasha asked to everyone in general, including the other rabbits, should they choose to turn in their partner in crime.

“The shard’s getting closer, be ready for him.” Kagome said low, in almost a whisper.

“Him?” Miroku asked.

“Him…” Inuyasha confirmed. “HIM!” he suddenly shouted, as a giant rabbit fitting of a roll in a movie that involves destroying Tokyo suddenly emerged from behind the trees.

Kagome looked up at the rabbit, and thought of three words: “Horrible, Hideous, Fluffy”

(If you know where that’s from, then you get the visual. If not, I suggest you google it.)

The sudden cry of “Hiraikotsu” pulled her from her thoughts, as the giant boomerang went zooming by her, smacking the rabbit youkai square in the stomach, only to bounce right off, and fly off in some erratic direction.

The thing took a tremendous leap forward, causing everyone to scurry back from it a bit, including the other rabbits, who were all terrified of the monster their friend had become. When it came back down to earth, it landed with such force that the ground literally shook, causing everyone to tumble a little. Miroku caught Sango’s fall, and for once, didn’t attempt to cop a feel while steadying her back on her feet. He knew he was unable to use his Wind Tunnel while the thing possessed a jewel shard, so he quickly threw a ton of sutras at it, which burned and sizzled off in its fur, never touching its skin.

“Guess it’s up to me.” Inuyasha proclaimed, after settling Kagome back on her feet again. “Kagome…” he asked her, “Where’s the shard located?”

“I think…” Kagome said, hesitantly. “I think he ate it. I can feel it from within the thing, but can’t see it imbedded anywhere on the surface.”

“Guess that means we have to kill it after all, I’m sorry Kagome.” he apologized, as he drew Tetsusaiga.

Sango and Miroku passed quick looks back and forth. When had Kagome voiced aloud that she hadn’t wanted to kill the youkai? Though they both believed that she very likely could have felt that way, considering it was originally a harmless rabbit-like creature. But how would Inuyasha know how she’d felt? More importantly, though, even if he did know how she felt, why would he have cared enough to apologize? Sango knew that simply mating would not have given them any type of greater connection, but today, with the way they’d been acting, it was like that’s exactly what they had. She knew the mark on her friend’s shoulder only meant to show that she was claimed by him, nothing more, and unless something had happened that she didn’t know about while Kagome was back in her own time, she’d seen for herself during recent baths in the hot springs that Kagome bore no other marks.

Said miko nodded her reluctant agreement in response to her mate’s assessment, not seeing another way, herself.

When Inuyasha lowered his blade, he reframed from using any of his energy attacks, as the strength of the fang itself was enough to pierce the youkai’s thick hide. With a single, clean swipe, he loped off its head. Its size hadn’t decreased with its simple death, since the shard was still within its body. He instructed the others to keep an eye on the head, and make sure it stayed dead and didn’t attempt to reattach itself to the body, while he sheathed his sword, and proceeded to slice into the rabbit’s gut with his claws.

Once he had the stomach contents exposed, Kagome effortlessly found the shard. Inuyasha plucked it from the youkai for her, wiping it off with his sleeve before handing it over. As soon as she held the shard in her hand, it purified from the dark purple it’d been to a translucent white, and she then added it to her bottle of jewel shards. As soon as the shard had been removed from the youkai, it shrank back down to the size of a normal rabbit. They decided to leave it be, figuring that something larger was bound to show up and eat it.

Heading back into the village, everyone rejoiced that their troubles would now be over. Unable to pay any type of reward, they offered the travelers a free meal, and a roof over their heads. It was getting rather late, so taking a once through glance back and forth between each other, they all agreed, rather simultaneously, that they’d love to stay the night.

Only the huts closest to the garden had sustained the worst damage, and the Inn was quite intact, as they found when one of the villagers lead them through the street to where the building was located.

“Four rooms?” the Inn Keeper asked innocently.

“Just two will be fine.” Inuyasha replied, not revealing any type of emotion behind his voice.

“Of course.” the Inn Keeper agreed, presuming the youkai meant one room for the men, and one for the women.

He presumed wrong.