InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Cry Wolf ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 10 – Cry Wolf





Inuyasha and Kagome both ignored the stares they received from the Inn Keeper the following morning, as they headed outside. Sango and Miroku had passed them knowing looks as well, but their expressions were happy, mixed with slight embarrassment perhaps, but happy nonetheless. They’d both had over two months now to get used to the fact that Inuyasha and Kagome had come to terms with their feelings for one another, before they did, as Sango kept flashing Miroku a look from over her shoulder, quickly glancing away whenever she’d catch him returning her gaze. He smiled, knowing it was only a matter of time before she’d finally let that wall of hers drop.

Traveling through the village to exit on the side near where their ‘battle’ had taken place the night before, both Kagome and Inuyasha stopped dead in their tracks as they each proclaimed “I smell wolf.” at the same time. Inuyasha ran off to examine the remains of the youkai rabbit, confirming that it was in fact gone, apparently having been picked up by a stray wolf. A mortal wolf, not a youkai.

Everyone released a sigh of relief, while Kagome let go of the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. They were fairly certain that now that mating season was over, Kouga would be back to normal, but she was still in no hurry to see him again.


~Flashback~


It’d been over a week since that first, fateful night, when Kagome officially became Inuyasha’s mate. They’d coupled ever night since, and for the most part, the event was near identical to their first time. Kagome found that as they approached the middle of spring, Inuyasha seemed to be having a tougher time holding it together. Twice now, he’d had to run off into the woods for a few minutes, to ‘relieve’ himself during the day. Everyone was a little on edge since the village that was supposed to have held rumors about Naraku’s whereabouts turned out to be a wild goose chase. Even Miroku recognized that now was not the time to tease his hanyou friend regarding his ‘problem’.

Setting up camp for the night a little earlier than usual, they’d found another location near a stream that contained fish, and without argue this time, Inuyasha went to catch some for everyone’s dinner. When he asked Kagome if she’d like to accompany him, she readily agreed, and sprang to his side without hesitation. Miroku had to suppress a small chuckle at her enthusiasm.

Once they were alone, Inuyasha grabbed Kagome in a fierce hug, madly inhaling her scent. Rather than aggravating him further, the act seemed to actually calm his nerves.

“Inuyasha?” she asked timidly.

“Keh, no, not during the day.” he answered almost playfully, adding “I just wanted to hold you, without that damn letch sticking his nose into things.”

Kagome understood, and smiled, growing a little tired of the constant snickers and winks herself. Miroku meant well, and she figured the truth of the matter was probably that he was jealous. Not that he had feelings for Kagome, just jealous over their closeness, something he and Sango did not have. After all, the monk’s feelings for the youkai slayer were obvious to everyone but the slayer herself.

She was pulled from her musings when she suddenly sensed the approach of two jewel shards. Not truly wanting to abandon the warmth of their embrace, she tried to focus her energy for a moment, until she was certain whose jewel shards they were.

“Inuyasha…” she groaned reluctantly, once she was certain.

“I know…I smell him…” was his quiet, yet irritated reply.

“I don’t want you to start a fight.” she pleaded at a near whisper. “You know where my loyalties lie.” she added.

“Then you’d better go back to the others, Kagome.” he said seriously, “Tell that bastard what’s happened while I’m not there for him to attack, if you want to keep him alive.”

“I don’t think he’d attack you.” she protested.

“I know he would.” he argued, adding.. “Besides, they’re waiting on me to catch these fish, so I’d better get started.”

Kagome separated herself from her mate, and nodded her understanding. Inuyasha knew she’d be safe back with the others, should any other danger strike, and he didn’t consider the wolf a true threat, just a nuisance. He knew all too well how Kagome thought of the relationship in her mind, trying to put human standards of friendships on a wolf youkai. It simply didn’t work that way, but she didn’t understand. No male youkai would be willing to be her friend, unless they secretly wanted something more. He knew that, he was guilty of no less himself.

When Kagome made it back to camp, she was beginning to wonder why Kouga hadn’t already shown himself. Usually, they sensed his presence only moments before he appeared. It was as if he were deliberately keeping his distance, assessing the situation. Surely he knew that both Kagome and Inuyasha had already sensed his presence.

Settling herself back down sitting upon her sleeping roll as she pulled a school book from her bag, she figured that if he wasn’t go to show himself, then that was fine with her. She’d make use of the time to get some much needed studying done. But after only a couple of minutes, that infamous whirlwind finally made its appearance, as Kouga appeared kneeling right before Kagome’s form.

Closing her book with a snap, and standing up abruptly, Kagome didn’t pretend she hadn’t sensed him coming, even with the shocked gasps she was receiving from her friends.

“I’m glad you finally showed yourself.” she said rather nervously.

She had butterflies in her stomach, and wanted to get the hard part over and done with as quickly as possible. Keeping that in mind, she decided to do it fast, like a band-aid.

“Because I have something I have to tell you.” she added after taking enough breaths to calm herself down.

Seemingly ignoring her nervousness, he asked “How’s mutt-face been treating you?” Something about the tone of his voice didn’t sound quite right, and put everyone at camp on edge.

Did he already know? Probably. He could probably smell it on her, right?

“His name is Inuyasha…” she countered, adding “...and he’s been treating me just fine, thank you.” The words left her mouth with an air of authority, of matter-of-factness.

Suddenly, Kouga grabbed Kagome’s arm, rather firmly, yet not strongly enough to cause her serious harm, as he pulled her close, and sniffed at the mark on her shoulder, that though covered up by the fabric of her blouse, was invisible to human eyes only.

“Let go!” she demanded, as he sniffed at her, his face growing more and more hostile, until suddenly, the look changed, temporarily matching that of his everyday smug appearance.

“Come with me…” he said, adding “Now.”

“No, I won’t.” she answered calmly, attempting to push herself back away from him.

Both Miroku and Sango had moved in to help, but Kagome shot them both looks that told them to stay out of it. This was something that she had to do on her own. She was feeling an odd mixture of pity and fear that she’d never experienced before, but didn’t truly believe that Kouga would do anything to hurt her. She wanted to let him down gently, feeling a little sorry for him in a way, but yet, she didn’t like the way he was acting, at all.

“Yes, you will, you’re my woman, and though that filthy hanyou has put his mark on you, his claim will be of no consequence, once he’s dead.”

Kagome’s eyes shot open wide at his words, and a whole new feeling of uneasiness began in the pit of her stomach. She had no fear for Inuyasha, since she knew there was no way that Kouga could ever successfully kill him, but there was something about the gruffness of his voice that didn’t settle with her, any more than the feel of his erection settled with her when he pressed himself firmly against her body.

Realization struck Kagome harder than the Hiraikotsu. It was mating season, which meant, like Inuyasha, Kouga was likely feeling the pull of the season, allowing his lust to cloud his better judgment. Kouga was also a pure blooded youkai, so unlike Inuyasha, who could control himself a little because of his human blood, Kouga’s body was running purely on instinct. Maybe she had gotten herself in over her head, after all, and her eyes reflected her worry, as Sango and Miroku tried to think of how to help her. The ookami was swift, thanks to his shards, and if they made any wrong move, he could take off with Kagome faster than could blink. Even Kirara seemed to recognize this, as she transformed and growled at the wolf, but also did not make a move to approach him.

Kagome was just about to call out for Inuyasha, when she momentarily freaked out at what she saw from the corner of her eye. Kouga had bared his teeth, and was coming in to bite her shoulder, displacing Inuyasha’s claim with his own. It all happened so fast, that neither Sango nor Miroku had time to respond, and Shippo had long since run off to retrieve Inuyasha, back when Kouga had first grabbed her. Kagome gasped as she saw the large fangs approach her skin out of the corner of her eye, but pinching her eyes shut in a moment of utter panic, Kouga was burned when a barrier of purifying energy deflected him, that Kagome had somehow, on instinct, managed to erect around herself at the last possible moment. Kirara, who had been running to her aid by that point, managed to come to a halt before getting burned herself.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome cried then, another blast of energy leaving her body as she did so, completely throwing Kouga clear.

In no more than half a second, Inuyasha had crashed through into their campsite, grabbing Kagome and flinging her behind him.

“I’d really hoped, for Kagome’s sake, that it wouldn’t have come to this. ” he said while cracking his knuckles, his tone threatening, and aimed directly at Kouga.

“You dare force yourself on my woman, and then stand in the way of my rightful claim?!” Kouga bellowed.

Kagome shook her head at the nonsense, unconsciously gripping the back of Inuyasha’s suikan. She’d never feared Kouga before, but she was beginning to now.

“Kagome is mine wolf! Get it threw your head, she’s taken!”

Ordinarily, Kagome would have objected to being referred to as belonging to anyone, but under the circumstances she knew damn well to keep her mouth shut. Besides, she was Inuyasha’s; he’d told her as much the first night they’d coupled, but he was also hers. The memory made her smile.

Her smile quickly dropped at Kouga’s next words…

“Never figured you’d lower yourself to whoring with a half-breed, slut.”

Kagome’s head shot up from behind Inuyasha’s back, eyes gleaming with anger and hurt.

“Too far…” Inuyasha said, as he drew his sword.

Kagome backed away slowly, almost in a daze, as the battle waged on before her. In an instant, Inuyasha had lunged forward, but Kouga effortlessly dodged his attack. Inuyasha knew not to use a move like the Wind Scar when they were this enclosed within the forest, and his friends, and especially Kagome, were so close, that they might get injured in the wake. So instead, he used his sword the more traditional way, attempting to slice off Kouga’s head with brut force. If not the big one, then at least the little one.

It didn’t take Kouga long to get winded, the drain of the season weighing down on his body. He could have easily fled, but his greater instinct wouldn’t allow him to simply run away, because that would mean relinquishing his claim on Kagome. So he tried, best he could, to fight back, using mainly his fists, as he punch at his rival, occasionally landing a strong kick as well. On at least two occasions, Miroku and Sango both noticed, Inuyasha had an opening in which he could have instantly killed Kouga and been done with it, but apparently, for Kagome’s sake, he hadn’t used them, striking his enemy down with merely a left hook, or a right jab, instead of a demonic fang.

Battered and bloody, both males kept at it, one, ever increasingly becoming victorious over the other. Until finally, the time came, when Inuyasha had Kouga down on the ground, looking up at the tip of his sword, that was aimed right for his throat.

“I oughta kill you right now!” Inuyasha bellowed at the top of his lungs, as he prepared to pull back and lunge, but the sudden, near inaudible gasp from his mate, stilled his hand.

Looking back, he saw her turn her gaze away, tears streaming down her face. She hadn’t asked him to stop. She hadn’t interfered, hadn’t sat him as he was half expecting throughout the entire battle, and now, she hadn’t asked him to spare the wolf’s life. Yet he knew, he knew she didn’t want the bastard dead. But still, he had to get the point across somehow. It was an honorable fight, and Kouga deserved to die by his hand. They were fighting over a woman, and he’d won. So letting him live would only add insult to injury, he decided then.

Shifting his aim, he plunged his sword deeply into Kouga’s gut, and the wolf released a painful gasp that almost covered the sound of Kagome’s. Withdrawing and sheathing his sword, he looked down at the fallen wolf, and without shifting his gaze, said in a loud enough voice for the humans to hear…

“Pack up camp, we’re moving. This area stinks.”

Turning to stalk away, he passed Kagome, who wouldn’t look at him at the moment, and mumbled quietly “He’ll live.” before he went about assisting in the hurried relocation of their campsite for the night.


~End Flashback~


Looking back on that night, it brought a wave of uneasy shivers through Kagome’s body, which Inuyasha instantly picked up on. He remembered, just as she had, the unsettling feeling everyone had as they’d tried to sleep. It was the first night during spring in which he and Kagome had not gone off to rut, and also the first night in which he held her closely to him, at camp, in plan view of the others, all night long as she slept. The light growl he’d given Shippo had told him ‘not now’, and he’d understood, having snuggled against Kirara that night. So now, looking down at the runt who was currently looking over up at Kagome, as they walked on in silence, Inuyasha rumbled a low growl deeply within his throat, meant to symbolize acceptance, as Shippo smiled and leapt up into Kagome’s waiting arms, the miko having also heard, and understood, her mate’s low growl. Shippo felt like Kagome was his own mother in many ways, so now, that would make Inuyasha like his adoptive father, as well. Leaping himself effortlessly across from Kagome’s arms onto Inuyasha’s shoulder, the hanyou only turned his head to smile at the kit, then reaching across to take Kagome’s hand, the happy family walked on slightly ahead of Sango and Miroku, who were once again passing knowing looks to one another.

`````````````````

Not having another specific location in mind in which to travel, they decided to head for what the locals had told them was the next nearest village, in hopes that they might have heard a rumor regarding either Naraku, or one of the few remaining jewel shards. Along the way, they came upon a natural hot spring, and decided to stop there for the night, though it was still rather early in the day at the moment. Tonight was the night of the new moon, so finding a secure spot to rest overnight was important, and the hot spring was agreeably an added bonus.

“I could certainly use a bath after last night.” Kagome mumbled out loud. The light snicker from one of her companions forced her to turn her head, and add “I was referring to the rabbit.”

Miroku’s look was one of absolute innocence, which caused Kagome to shake her head, in order to hide the smirk that was forming on her own face. Inuyasha just rolled his eyes, while Sango blushed and tried to look away.

Sango needs to get a grip…Inuyasha thought to himself. Either grip the bouzu, or something… he trailed off in his mind, earning himself a light chuckle for his thoughts, which caused the others to raise an eyebrow at him.

“What?” he snapped, turning himself to walk back over towards his mate.

Shippo broke the awkwardness by happily bounding back up to the others, claiming that he found the perfect location for setting up the bedrolls. He was right, the clearing looked like it was designed for camping. If someone had come across a spot like this back in Kagome’s time, they would’ve naturally assumed it to be manmade. The clearing was a near perfect circle, surrounded by trees, except for one side that was walled with small boulders instead, and right on the other side of those rocks was the hot spring. It was close enough to camp so that as they took turns bathing they wouldn’t be too far away from the others, and potentially in danger, yet its view was still shielded to those who were at the camp thanks to the wall of boulders. The close proximity of the hot springs also helped to warm the air, although it was rather warm on its own at the moment, with the summer sun beating down on them. But come nighttime, it would likely prove very pleasant.

Recalling the evening with Kouga had triggered a series of memories to play across both Kagome and Inuyasha’s minds, and as they settled into their daily routine, Inuyasha building a fire while Kagome prepared the ramen, they functioned mostly on autopilot, as their minds remained in a daze.

Miroku, likely sensing their mental distance, attempted to pull them back with his comment of “It certainly has been an eventful last couple of months, has it not?”

His honest attempt at small talk, no matter how perverse, went seemingly unnoticed, until suddenly, after the fire was going and water reaching a boil, both Inuyasha and Kagome passed a series of knowing glances back and forth between each other, before they each answered at the same time with a soft-spoken “Yeah…”