InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Senior Year ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 21 - Senior Year



Kagome spent the last weeks of summer back in the past, working on finishing her new hut with Inuyasha and their friends. Once it was time for her to go in for her first day of school, to collect assignments and study material for her upcoming tests, the couple departed from the bustling activity of Kaede’s village, dropping down into the well to emerge in Kagome’s time.

Inuyasha wasn’t sure what he was going to do with himself all day. In the resent past, when he’d started to always come with her to her time due to their blood bond, she’d always only been gone for just a couple of hours at a time, be it to go to the ‘clinic’ for her ‘shot’ or to go shopping for supplies. Half of the time when she went shopping, he even went with her. But she’d made it perfectly clear that he wasn’t to follow her to her school. Not so much out of concern for concealing his identity, which had been her main focus in the past, but rather, if he were there, she knew she wouldn’t be able to concentrate!

He just thanked the kami that Kagome would only be needing to go to her school a couple of times a month, so although she’d made it perfectly clear that he would have to allow her some time to study for her tests, that could at least be done in the feudal era.

Seeing him pacing the shrine grounds impatiently, Jii-chan suddenly had an excellent idea, and propositioned the irritable hanyou for his assistance. Inuyasha was all too eager for the distraction, and readily agreed to help the old man out with his shrine duties, which mostly consisted of heavy lifting and cleaning, categorizing and packing.

``````````````

The first half of Kagome’s day was rather uneventful, as she went from classroom to classroom, along with everyone else, gathering up what her assignments would be for the following month. At the end of each class, she was handed a stack of papers that were the subjects she’d be required to study at home, rather than in class, along side everyone else, and was given the dates that the tests would be given, which were the days that she was required to come to class. Throughout the morning, she bumped into Yuka, Tojin, and Ayumi. Hojo was around, but now that she’d made her intentions clear, his attention was finally at the level of ‘friendly acquaintance’ that she’d always wanted it to be. She didn’t see Eri until lunch, not that the girl had been trying to avoid her, they simply hadn’t shared any of the same classes so far.

“Hi Kagome!” Eri greeted happily when she spotted her friend in the cafeteria.

“Eri!” Kagome greeted as well.

“How…um…how have you been?” she asked, sounding a little solemn, perhaps embarrassed over her behavior at the carnival. Then again, maybe not.

“I’ve been good.” she answered honestly, and without even thinking about it added “Inuyasha and I have been keeping busy building our…” Quickly realizing what she was about to say, she quickly changed her last word to “…lives.”

The smile was instantly gone from Eri’s face.

“You really like that creep?” she asked harshly.

“What?!” Then realization dawned, and she felt like a few residual “duh” bricks had found their way to her forehead. “Oh!” She instantly blushed some, and it made Eri uncomfortable. What was Kagome thinking?

“Eri….we…we should talk. Why don’t you come by the shrine after school?”

“Why?” she asked skeptically. “Is that dog of yours gonna be there?” she asked sarcastically.

“Actually, yeah, he’s there, but don’t worry about him, you and I need to talk.”

A weird sort of smile crept up Eri’s face before she nodded, mumbling “Okay…”

The rest of her day was rather uneventful, just more collecting of assignments. Gazing dreamily out the window of her last period classroom, she wondered quietly to herself what Inuyasha had been up to all day.

`````````````````````

Sword detached and leaning up against the side of the structure, there stood a lone figure, dressed in fire-rat, the sleeves of his suikan rolled up past his elbows, a red bandana that matched his robes tied securely atop his head. His eyes gleamed with determination, as he prepared himself for tackling the task at hand. Raising his right hand, he glanced at it calculatingly, as he flexed his claws, popping his knuckles. Then, reaching to his left hip, he pulled his weapon. The small brown handle fit securely in his hand, while the conglomeration of feathers threatened to tickle his nose with the strong scent of dust they already contained.

Moving faster than most eyes could see, Inuyasha thoroughly dusted and cleaned every antique, every artifact, every ‘treasure’ that Jii-chan kept in that shed. The room looked as though it hadn’t been cleaned out in years, and it smelled like it, too.

Jii-chan was instantly impressed with the hanyou’s speed and agility. He hadn’t broken a single item, but then again, Kagome wasn’t around to yell Sit! for no apparent reason. After the storage shed had been successfully cleaned out, next was the task at hand of getting down, and emptying, some of the heavier boxes, that in his old age, Kagome’s grandfather hadn’t been able to move in years.

Inuyasha was impressed by the change of attitude in the old man. He’d gone from plastering sutras to his face, to graciously requesting his assistance with their family treasures. For a Shinto Priest to accept the fact that his granddaughter had a demonic life-mate, it really made his head spin. He’d even gone as far as to tell Inuyasha that he didn’t consider their mating to be dishonoring Kagome, since he understood (all too well, as he often boasted) youkai cultures, customs, and bonds, and understood that he and Kagome were, in a sense, already married. However, it had pleased him to learn that Inuyasha still intended to give Kagome a traditional human wedding, stating how he understood that displaying your love openly for your friends and family in such a ceremony was significant, to humans, and that he would do anything and everything he could to make his mate happy. That had earned him a pat on the back from the old man, before they got back to work. It wasn’t until nearly twenty minutes later that Inuyasha realized that was the first physical contact her grandfather had ever given him that wasn’t hostile. Even when he’d poked him in the chest, though it had turned out he’d just been joking, at the time, Inuyasha had cringed under that finger.

Around lunchtime Kagome’s mother came out and offered the two a bite to eat. Going back into the house, Inuyasha sat around the table with Kagome’s mother and grandfather, eating lunch as though he were truly a part of their family. In that moment, suddenly he realized…he was.

“Inuyasha?” Nodoka suddenly asked between mouthfuls.

“Yes?” he responded politely.

“I was just thinking about running to the store, and wondered if you’d like to go with me.”

“Really? You mean it?”

He was obviously surprised. He wasn’t used to being out in public in this time all too often, and on the few occasions that he had been, he’d always been with Kagome. Mrs. Higurashi wasn’t as used to him as her daughter was. That’s when it dawned on him, she probably wanted time alone to get to know him better. He’d like to get to know her better…too.

“Absolutely.” was her reply, which pulled him from his thoughts.

“Sure.” he answered.

After finishing lunch, he quickly dashed up to Kagome’s room, and changed into something modern. He’d ‘practiced’ with the buttons on Kagome’s clothing often enough that he’d finally gotten the hang of it, and effortlessly dressed himself in the same button-fly baggie black jeans he’d worn at the carnival, only this time, a dark blue t-shirt that said “Talk to the fist” completed the look, toped by a black bandana rather than the red one he’d previously been wearing. Mrs. Higurashi smiled at the sight. He looked good in other colors, and she was pleased to see how willing he was to adorn modern clothing nowadays.

She was also impressed to discover just how protective of her he seemed to be as they walked down the street side by side. She could tell, even though his ears were hidden underneath that black bandana, that he could still hear everything going on around them, and about twenty times better than she could, at least. They talked casually as they walked, mostly regarding the day-to-day life in her time vs. the feudal era. She knew fully well that they wouldn’t have any of their modern conveniences, and that had worried her a little bit, when it came to the happiness of her daughter. But he assured her that he would try to make his world as comfortable for Kagome as he possibly could, explaining how they had installed insulation in the walls of their hut, to help regulate the temperature, as well as how he’d planned on supplying them with more of a “real” bed rather than the flat, and sometimes uncomfortable, futons.

He paused, blushing profusely, when he realized he’d just mentioned their “bed” to her mother, but the time for posturing had long since passed. She knew they were mates, and she wasn’t stupid, she knew that that included “mating.” They’d already had the difficult conversations, so now, things were more laid back between them. That is, until Mrs. Higurashi confessed her one, true concern, regarding her daughter’s permanent relocation to the past.

“How often to complications arise during child birth?” she asked out of the blue. She knew that they still had a year left, at least, before they’d be leaving her world behind, but still, the subject had been bugging her, and she wanted to get it out into the open.

“Uhhhhh…” he mumbled, blushing tremendously, but then, when he realized the nature of her question, he got himself under control. “Don’t worry.” he said reassuringly. “She’s strong; she’s got my blood in her, remember? She’ll be able to handle it just fine.”

Nodoka nodded at that. That was true…she’d momentarily forgotten, but her baby was part youkai now, and a lot stronger than a normal human. Still…

“I know I’d prefer it if she gave birth in a modern hospital, although I know that won’t be possible.” She took a deep breath, and confessed…
“Souta’s birth was…complicated.”

“How so?” he asked, genuinely surprised.

“The umbilical cord had gotten tangled around him, and they had to do a cesarean-section.” At his confused expression, she explained. “They had to cut me open to remove him, otherwise, we could have both died.” He gasped but she quickly shushed him. “It’s a standard procedure…here…but-” She cut herself off when he placed a hand upon her shoulder, turning himself to look her in the eyes.

“I understand. There’s no such thing in my time, but…” He paused, thought for a moment, and then continued. “Though a normal human may not survive such a thing in my time, without proper medicines and ways to stop infection…” he forged on, “Kagome still would.” he stated with conviction. “I’ve had my brother’s poisonous claws shoved so far through my body that they came out the other side, and I healed without a scratch.”

She gasped at that. Though she’d seen the blood stained clothes, seen the scrapes and scars on her daughter from time to time, she’d never realized just how dangerous his world could really be. He’d been impaled? What made that even more remarkable, other than the fact that he’d survived such a wound, was the realization that he’d said that it was his brother’s own claws, his brother’s “poisonous” claws, that had done the damage. She really didn’t want to know about what sort of troubles they got themselves into on a daily basis, though she was fully confident that he would keep her daughter safe, even if it meant protecting her with his own life, which she realized in that moment, he’d already been doing for the last two years.

“When we’re ready to leave here for good, after the mission…” he continued out of nowhere, bringing Kagome’s mother out of her thoughts. “Have Kagome bring a bunch of books on that subject, about birthing pups and whatnot.” he said, rather confidently at this point. “That way, should there be any trouble, we’ll know what to do. If she needs me to cut the pup out of her to save it, and her, I’ll do it.”

She looked up at him with a single tear in her eyes, awed by how much this man truly loved her daughter. As a passing after thought, she mumbled softly, but obviously loud enough that he’d hear her… “She couldn’t really risk having your child in our world, anyway. What if…” She paused, not wanting to offend him, but though he’d understood what she was getting at, he hadn’t been hurt by her comment.

“What if it had my ears?” he asked knowingly. “I don’t know if our pups will have my ears or not, but Kagome says that she hopes they do.”

At that, Mrs. Higurashi chuckled, and tweaking his right ear quickly, through the fabric of the bandana he wore, she murmured… “So do I.”

Reaching the store, their conversations switched back to a more light hearted nature, as they selected several flavors of ramen, as well as potato chips. He suggested getting a present for Shippo, which surprised but pleased the Higurashi woman, as she knew how much Kagome adored the kitsune child that she talked about constantly. Picking up some strawberry pocky as well as some suckers, and some new crayons, Mrs. Higurashi finally lead Inuyasha towards the groceries that she needed to buy.

He startled her when, after picking up a dozen eggs, he sniffed at the closed container and suddenly grumbled… “Those are no good.”

Surprised, she opened the package to find that a couple of the eggs were in fact broken and spoiled. She asked if he’d care to select a carton for her, and he did so, sniffing at the rack, never bothering to pick one package up and open it to see what his nose could so easily already tell him. After a moment, he selected a carton that contained nothing but fresh eggs, and handed it to her stating that those were all good. She didn’t open it to check them out for herself, taking his word for it. She didn’t want to seem rude or disbelieving, while she was, to be quite honest, amazed.

He then proceeded to amaze her yet again, when on the walk back home, he quickly and quite suddenly flung her onto his back, somehow managing to catch all of her shopping bags in the process so that nothing got spilt, while they dodged out of the way of a car that came careening through the intersection that they’d previously been halfway across.

“Fuck! Your world is dangerous too!” he swore after the fact, when they were both safely across the street. He didn’t even realize that he’d cursed in front of her, something he always tried to avoid, out of respect (and fear of being sat should Kagome be within earshot).

Mrs. Higurashi saw how shaken up the boy was, obviously not having been prepared to be dodging speeding drivers. She couldn’t help but marvel at the fact that he’d reacted so quickly, on some sort of “react now, panic later” instinct that had caused her to find herself standing safely on the sidewalk before she’d even seen or heard that car’s approach. If she had gone to the store by herself, she could have easily been hit by that car.

A few other pedestrians that had witnessed the event approached the two asking if they were all right, a few of them asking Inuyasha how in the hell he had done that. Of course, he merely crossed his arms and Keh’d, allowing Mrs. Higurashi to explain that he was trained in marshal arts, leaving it at that. They then made their way back to the shrine, the rest of their walk, thankfully, being rather uneventful.