InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Failed Attempt ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 27 – Failed Attempt



Kagome could never get enough of that sensation, flying through the air in the embrace of the man she loved. When they finally reached a nice spot for camping, he gently set her down, and went to work at clearing a small area within the snow to build a campfire.

“Guess we should have brought Shippo.” Kagome mumbled thoughtfully to herself, as she realized that without his foxfire to dry the wood she was gathering, getting it lit wouldn’t be that easy of a task.

“Wouldn’t that defeat the whole purpose?” her mate half-chuckled, as he continued to lay small rocks around in a circle to form the outer border of their fire pit.

“I suppose you’re right.” she conceded with a sultry smile, and then plopping down in the snow, proceeded to dig through her bad for her lighter fluid.

She would’ve liked to take the credit for finally getting so smart, but it was actually Souta’s idea. He’d suggested that you just never know when lighter fluid might come in handy. They might have wet firewood, for one…(she was smacking herself in the forehead as she recalled his list)…though of course, Souta had also thought that it’d be cool if Kagome shot blazing arrows that were on fire. She scoffed at the idea, until she recalled one such battle in which they were fighting a creature that was weak to fire, and she had shoot it with a blazing arrow.

That was when I introduced them to modern fireworks… she recalled lazily in her mind.

Saturating the ground and collection of mulch she’d gathered within the ring of stones, she took heed to step back as she prepared to toss a match into the pile.

“What are you doing?” Inuyasha asked her upon seeing her pulling out a strange little paper booklet thing.

“What are you doing?” she asked in return, and a little shocked, when she saw him stick the edge of his sword into the pit and begin scrapping a flint rock over it. He stopped at her words, and froze there.

“I appreciate it, really…” she laughed, as she struck a match, not noticing the shocked expression that flashed on her mate’s face before he quickly wiped it away, “But fire-rat robe or no fire-rat robe, I don’t think you want to be that close.” she finished with another laugh, as she saw him scurry back away from the fire pit before she tossed the small magical twig into the mix.

*whoosh*

And now there was fire.

He couldn’t help himself, as he stared at her drop jaw, Kagome only now noticing the bizarre expression on his face, as he blurted out “That’s amazing!”

“Yeah well…” she began, thinking to herself, he’s seem much more amazing things than that, but then again, she never had used the fuel before, “Blame it on Souta…” she explained with a tease in her voice, “I was going over a list of essentials with him one day, and he just insisted that I bring the lighter fluid.” Thinking about it logically for a minute, something finally dawned on Kagome as she said “But you guys have burning oils in this time…what’s so amazing about that?”

He quickly realized he’d better change the subject, after having put his foot in his mouth. So slowly, with a silly look of seduction in his eyes, he approached her, murmuring

“Are you sure you’re not part fire-youkai?” before she could answer, he continued with “Because you’re hot.”

Hmmm, my first feudal era pick-up line… She chuckled in her head. She also realized he just used some of her modern slang, so she relaxed and snuggled her face into the hand that was cupping the side of her cheek.

Slowly, gently, he leaned in for a kiss, which she readily returned. There was a strange sense of urgency within him, but she chucked it up to tension from the villagers’ comments earlier that morning. The sensation of his bare hands on her back as he slid them up under her sweater sent a barrage of tingles throughout her system. Though the last time they’d mated was only a couple of days ago, it’d been a couple of days too long, as far as she was concerned. Slowly reaching up towards the top of his head, he rumbled low in his chest in approval at her movements. When her right hand found his left ear, she stroked it long and tenderly.

She broke the kiss when she gasped in surprise, a whole different gasp. She gasped when she realized she felt nothing from their bond.

He looked at her, blinking, some mix of confusion and hurt present in his eyes and in his scent, as he asked “What’s wrong koi? Why did you pull away?”

Shaking her head, she reached for his right arm, pulling back the blankets of sleeves that always hide his mark, and gasped again when she rubbed said mark, only to once again realize that she felt nothing from it.

Backing away from him in a mixture of denial and panic, she shook her head no slowly, as she whispered… “You’re not him…”

He grinned at her stupidly, and with a light shrug of his shoulders, said “Sorry.”

Turning to run, he grabbed her arm, and leaning into her ear, whispered “You weren’t supposed to figure it out until I was pounding it in you….but no matter…. We’re still gonna play.”

A new wave of panic washed over her as the implications of what this thing had just said sunk in. That sensation of panic only increased when what that thing was doing sunk in, as it’d moved one of its hands around to cup her breast. Struggling herself out of his grasp, she did the only thing she could think of, she scratched at her own mark, hard, nearly cutting the skin with her nails. It hurt. Hopefully her Inuyasha would be able to use the sensation as a beacon to find her.

```````````

He was running, no, change that, it’s not running if you’re feet never touch down, he was flying. Some imposter had his Kagome, and he had to save her! He had to get to her before…before they… He shook himself from that train of thought. How could he have been so stupid? They knew this could happen! But…they’d been preparing themselves to spot out of character behavior; they hadn’t expected an imposter to stay in character. What would be the point in that? Didn’t Naraku want to split them up? Make them hurt each other and taint the jewel with that hurt? Then he realized again where he was and why he was running so fast. If that bastard hurt Kagome…looking like him…but surely she’d realize…but then again, would it really matter? If that false Kagome hadn’t gone all emotional on him, and had instead agreed to go into the woods, he would have left with her. The thought made him shudder. He would have realized it wasn’t her as soon as he discovered he didn’t pick up any sensations through their mark, though. Is that why she hadn’t lured him away? No…she had lured him away, in a different way. She’d made him focus on finding Kagome within the village, while the real Kagome was being lead outside into the forest!

Fuck, fuck fuck fuck!

She has the jewel shards! But it could have taken the jewel shards from her while pretending to be Sango in the bathhouse. That train of thought brought him back to the whole rutting in the forest thing, again. Naraku wanted to taint the shards before taking them.

Shit, shit shit shit!

Suddenly, he was pulled from his thoughts as he suddenly felt a horrid scratching pain in his mark, and quickly realized that Kagome must be trying to contact him.

She knowsoh Kami, what’s happened?

One wouldn’t have thought it possible that he could suddenly move even faster than he already had been moving, but he managed it.

Hang on Kagome

```````````

“What do you think you’re doing?!” the imposter asked harshly as he grabbed her left hand away from the mark on her right arm. “Trying to call your filthy hanyou?” he teased. “I’m afraid he won’t come, he’s too busy looking for a runaway you in the village.” he added with a laugh.

“Who are you?” she demanded, but he only tsk tsk’d shaking his head, while eyeing her up and down like a predator.

“Right now…” he muttered, “I’m Inuyasha.” he said with a laugh.

“You are not Inuyasha!” Kagome spat, literally, as she hawked one at him when he tried to grab her again.

Wiping his face in disgust, he laughed again, and said “Come on now, don’t keep that beautiful figure hidden, I’ve already seen it once.”

That shut her up, as she began racking her brain. Kagome was not stupid, and quickly retraced her steps in her mind. Leaving the hot spring, this Inuyasha had ‘said’ he bumped into Sango, and thought her idea about them rutting in the woods was a good one. It quickly dawned on her that that must not have been the real Sango in the bathhouse. She shivered at the realization, feeling rather disgusted with herself. How could this have happened? How did she fail to sense that these were imposters? They’d already discussed the possibility that this very thing could happen. How did she not see it coming? Inuyasha wouldn’t have fallen for such a stupid trick. Suddenly, Kagome was feeling rather low with herself. This must have reflected in her expression too, because the false image of her mate took on a look of caring.

“Come here…” he said in a soft tone, opening his arms wide for her, “You can cry on my shoulder all you like.” His voice suddenly took on an amusing smirk.

Shaking her head and trying to get a grip on herself, she made a dive for her bow and arrows, but he was too fast for her, and landed on her, pinned her to the ground. She thought he was getting ready to rape her when he ripped the top of her sweater, until she realized he’d snatched the bottle of jewel shards she wore around her neck. In a sheer moment of terror, she closed her eyes and screamed, and the imposter upon her body went flying backwards, having been zapped by a bolt of her purifying energy. Unlike when she’d zapped Kouga though, when deep down she didn’t truly have a desire to hurt the wolf too severely, this time, she’d had every intention of purifying the thing to dust. Unfortunately it was already in possession of her jewel shards, and they apparently made him strong enough to withstand the blast of energy she’d sent at him.

Inuyasha will never forgive me if I let him get away.

Picking up her bow and arrows now that she was able to reach them, she demanded “Tell me, are you working for Naraku?” She tried to sound as cold and in control as possible.

The slightly burnt and dazed imposter stumbled to his feet, then placing a finger on his chin, looked thoughtful as he mumbled… “Naraku? Naraku…never heard of him.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Kagome hissed, as she notched an arrow.

Suddenly, they both heard what sounded like Inuyasha calling out her name.

“Kagome!” he screamed, as he broke into the clearing. Screeching to a halt, he saw Kagome, his Kagome, with an arrow notched at the false image of himself.

Feeling a wave of calm come over him at the sight, he realized his Kagome hadn’t been violated, or at least, not too badly, considering that aside from a small rip at the neckline of her sweater, her clothing was otherwise still intact. He watched in approval as he saw her arrow fly, only to have it deflected by the youkai who had grown ten times stronger with the aid of her jewel shards.

“Inuyasha!” she shouted towards the true Inuyasha, “He has my jewel shards!”

“What?!” he shouted in return, fear creeping into his scent, when he realized he’d been too late, or at least…partially too late. Protecting Kagome was, and always would be, priority number one, but that didn’t mean they could just let this thing have their jewel shards!

He felt comfort in the fact that Kagome was safe and unharmed, but now they had bigger problems. This was all his fault. Sucking it up, he drew his sword, aiming it at himself, for all intents and purposes. He hadn’t meant it, and hadn’t realized it, but the tone of his voice succeeded in making Kagome feel rather stupid.

Without hesitation he launched his Wind Scar attack at the imposter, who did not draw his own sword, most likely because he was unable to duplicate the strength of the fang. But he didn’t need to, they discovered, when the dust settled, to reveal the imposter was still standing proudly.

“The shards enabled him to withstand the Wind Scar!” Inuyasha bellowed.

“Try again.” he heard Kagome command, and turning to glance in her direction, he saw her preparing to notch another arrow.

This is all my fault, she thought, I hope he can forgive me.

“Right.” he answered, as he timed his attack to match that of his mate’s, as her arrow flew within the wake of his Wind Scar, combining the two attacks into one.

This is all my fault, he thought, I hope she can forgive me.

They were sure it would succeed that time, so it came as a genuine shock when the dust settled, to reveal the imposter still stood, only he didn’t look like Inuyasha any more. No, now he looked like the human they had rescued the night before, Hokori. Smelled like him, too. A sick feeling in the pit of their stomachs told them that he was the human Hokori they had rescued the night before. That sick feeling grew when they realized the reason why he’d survived their combined attack was because a barrier had been erected around him. Suddenly, they heard and felt the approach of something evil, something that laughed as it entered the clearing.

“Kukuku. Well done, Gensou.”

“Naraku!” Inuyasha yelled. “I knew it!”

Around this time their other friends all crashed into the clearing atop Kirara’s back.

“Kagome! Inuyasha!” Sango shouted.

“Naraku!” Miroku shouted instead.

“Hokori?” Shippo asked timidly. “You were helping Naraku?”

“My name is Gensou.” the false human stated emotionlessly.

Illusion? thought Sango, before she recalled what Inuyasha had been hinting before, about how Kagome wasn’t the real Kagome, and how there had apparently been a duplicate of herself, as well. Had this person been taking their forms one by one?

So the whole ordeal of rescuing him from Naraku’s lower youkai had been a charade, simply so that he could get himself within close quarters of those he would soon be replicating. It was most likely necessarily, in order to study their essence. They had all been tricked.

Kagome pulled everyone from their respective thoughts when she suddenly yelled

“Inuyasha! This isn’t one of his puppets! He has the jewel!”