InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Guess who’s coming to dinner… ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 38 - Guess who’s coming to dinner…




The castle was like a maze, with corridors that twisted and turned in every possible direction, the halls literally adorned with countless doors, each leading to a chamber specifically designed for its own unique purpose, whatever that may be. It was an easy place to get lost within, if one did not have a decent sense of smell. Hopping down one of the many paths, a youkai that many considered nearly invisible due to his sheer stature, or lack thereof, came upon the room he was seeking, and without knocking, not that he truly had the ability to do so, he slipped himself below the crack of the door, entering the room. Its occupant had detected his approach, and was awaiting him.

“Inuyasha has arrived My Lord…” Myouga began, nervously.

“Do you enjoy wasting your breath with news of which this Sesshoumaru is already aware, or do you truly believe this Sesshoumaru so blind as to not take notice of whom passes through the gates?” he questioned, smirking internally at the way his late father’s vassal was so easily made to cower before him.

“A-apologies My Lord!” the little flea spat shakily, as he pulled his faithful handkerchief and proceeded to wipe his brow. “Do you wish for me to send him to your study?” Hesitating at the way his Lord raised an eyebrow at him, he nervously added, “Or do you have another use for me?”

“I have little use for a servant as cowardly and weak as you, you serve my brother well…” he stated, then standing up and away from his desk, he added “You may leave, do whatever it is you do until you uncannily sense that your limited knowledge and ability is once again required.”

With that, Myouga bowed, though such an act was hardly recognizable with his lacking height. Suddenly growing bolder, quite a startling occurrence in one as timid as he, he delayed his departure, leaping first upon his Lord’s shoulder as he voiced

“As a humble vassal to the great and passed Inu no Taisho, it is, as always, both a privilege and an honor to serve you, My Lord….” he paused, then added “The Great Dog General always saw fit to reward my accomplishments with an offering of bloo----” His sentence was never completed, as Sesshoumaru had, at that moment, chosen to flick him from his shoulder, and the flea youkai, who’d squished against the farthest wall, chose to remain as flat as possible in the Taiyoukai’s eyes as he then made his way below the crack in the door, again entering the hallway, muttering under his breath “Such is the life of a flea.”

Sesshoumaru, currently alone, chose to allow one of the most rarest of smiles to grace his features. It was true the flea youkai was weak, but he had a strength in his own right, and it was not unknown to Sesshoumaru that the flea had, in fact, saved his brother’s life, as well as the lives of his companions, both directly and indirectly, on several occasions. It was true he was a coward, and had left his hanyou charge truly alone for most of his young life, not that Sesshoumaru himself was in a position to place judgment on such an action, but Myouga had always been there when it mattered most, at least, when his life was not in danger as a result, and had, if nothing else, taught Inuyasha the essentials of being inu, a task that he, Sesshoumaru, was grateful had not befallen himself.

Thinking back to when he’d summoned the flea to serve as messenger in this instance, he found himself internally smirking again.


***Flashback***


“Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru?” the flea asked uncertainly, having “felt” his presence was requested at the Taiyoukai’s estate. Being as connected to the Inu no Taisho family as he was, he’d acquired quite a sixth sense of when his presence was either desired, or required.

“Myouga…” he began, “You will travel to my brother’s village. Inform the hanyou that as ruling partner of the West, his presence is required.”

Myouga’s little bug eyes literally bugged out of his head. Did he say ruling partner??? He’d never acknowledged Inuyasha’s rights to their father’s estate before. What in Kami’s name…

“Have you gone deaf?” he suddenly heard uttered in an air of heavy annoyance.

Pulling his handkerchief and wiping his brow, he quickly apologized, and proceeded to bow, preparing to depart.

“Myouga.” The voice of Sesshoumaru stilled his little feet as he stood, nothing but a speck, in the immense study they were currently occupying.

“Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru?”

“Have I dismissed you?”

Bounding back up upon his master’s desk instantly, he uttered “My apologies! I thought-”

“You thought nothing at all. Now,” Sesshoumaru interrupted, “you will remain until I state you may do otherwise, is that clear?”

“Yes Lord Sesshoumaru.” he sighed, feeling rather reserved.

Inuyasha never treated him in such a manner, and neither did their father, for that matter! Sesshoumaru treated the flea as though he were more lowly than the toad imp who ever so loyally obeyed his every beck and call. Myouga was not only Sesshoumaru’s elder, but there was a time, not all that long ago from a youkai’s point of view, when he was young Sesshoumaru’s care taker, and, per order of his father, had the authority to give Sesshoumaru orders. Granted, they were the orders a sitter would befall upon a child, and never ranged beyond when it was either time to eat or sleep, or when to listen to his studies, but even still…he sometimes found that he longed for the good ol’ days.

“You will inform Inuyasha as to the reason his presence is required.” Sesshoumaru started again after allowing enough silence to pass that the small youkai began to feel uncomfortable. Myouga waited as patiently as possible for Sesshoumaru to continue his thoughts, knowing damn well that the Taiyoukai was deliberately taking his sweet time as a means of torture.

Finally, Sesshoumaru sighed, an uncanny display of emotion for one as reserved as himself. He then stated in a rather calm voice

“This Sesshoumaru has chosen a mate.”

He raised his only hand to silence the disbelief he could feel preparing to ooze itself from the insect on his desk, as Myouga, against his better judgment, had indeed opened his mouth to state his astonishment. He stilled his tongue, however, at the look that suddenly spread itself across his Lord’s features.

“Before you start, Myouga-Ojii…” he said, reverting back to his childhood name for the youkai, “I am well aware of the amount of disbelief this sudden change in events has, and will continue to cause.” Taking a deep breath, he continued, his features once again as cold and stoic as all that knew him had become accustomed to seeing. “As Taiyoukai, it is my responsibility to one day sire an heir, lest any unforeseen disaster require that half-breed to rule in my stead.”

“How romantic…” could suddenly be heard as a new youkai entered the main room from one of the smaller side-chambers.

If Myouga hadn’t known better, he would have sworn he saw the Taiyoukai flinch before readjusting his stoic appearance, as he calmly (as calmly as possible) turned to the woman and said “I asked you to remain in the den.”

Myouga stared agape at the new youkai. He had not only wondered why Sesshoumaru would so suddenly choose a mate, when he had not even been courting, to his knowledge, but also why he would feel obligated to inform his younger brother of his decision. Even after digesting the “ruling partner” remark, which had surprised him only in the sense that Sesshoumaru acknowledged Inuyasha’s rights on their father’s land, for it was a fact that he himself had truthfully already been aware of, and had even informed the hanyou of on several occasions. Be that as it may, he doubted Inuyasha would have been offended if Sesshoumaru had ignored family custom when it came to consorting with his sibling prior to officially claiming his mate. Now, seeing the female creature that stood smiling before him, he wasn’t so sure.

“I understand.” the flea youkai said suddenly, and was greeted with what he was sure passed for a look of relief on the Taiyoukai’s stoic face.

“Good,” he said simply, and gesturing towards the door, he said “You are dismissed. Be sure the hanyou knows that this is not a simple request, and that his presence is expected without delay.”

Nodding wordlessly, the tiny being then scampered towards the door, and once outside, whistled for the first bird that would take him directly towards Inuyasha’s forest.

“If you’re really so worried,” the woman spoke suddenly, sensing an emotion that was not, in truth, visibly displayed, “Then why do you seek his approval? He didn’t seek yours.”

“Assuming he was even aware such a custom existed, he likely chose not to seek my approval because he knew I would not, at the time, have given it.”

“But you approve of Kagome now.” It wasn’t a question.

Sesshoumaru only nodded in response to the comment, then stated “And I have since entered into an alliance with them, and have given Inuyasha his rightful title to our father’s realm. It would be below my honor to not respect every right such a title secures.”

“And if he doesn’t approve?” she asked, a small amount of genuine concern present in her voice.

“He will.” he stated simply, adding in his mind The miko would never let him do otherwise, her compassion knows no bounds.


***End Flashback***


Bounding down another hall, Myouga found the bedchamber that had been assigned to his Master, as well as his mate and adopted pup. Slipping himself into the room undetected, at first, he gazed at the shocked and confused expressions of those present, as they observed the formal dinner wear that had been laid out for them.

“I see…” they all suddenly heard him say, and turned in the direction of the small flea, as he stood motionlessly on the polished floor.

Even with their advanced eyesight, he was little more than a speck at that distance, yet they all heard his voice rather clearly, as he stated

“I am pleased you have arrived safely, I shall be taking my leave of you now.” He turned to depart when…

“Hold on Myouga!” The flea turned around, gulping.

“Yes, Master Inuyasha?”

“What’s all this about?!” he spat, as he frantically waved his hand in the general direction of the formal kimonos all laying gracefully upon the ridiculously oversized and rather plush futon that rested in the middle of the room. There was even a children’s kimono the perfect fit for Shippo!

“It would appear,” Myouga began, “that you are to join him for dinner.”

“No shit…” Inuyasha trailed off, turning his eyes to again gaze upon the black and red silken kimono set, which featured an extravagantly detailed hand-painted pictorial of their father in his inu form on the back of the red suikan. Kagome’s yukata was hardly less radiant, the white silk having been painstakingly embroidered with literally hundreds of pink sakura blossoms, which were sporadically intermingled with the duel purple stripes of the Inu no Taisho family crest, the solid pink obi matching perfectly.

“Why?” he finally managed to breathe out, not at all pleased with the turn of events.

Why did they have to make an appearance to the House just to approve of his mate? A formal dinner had been the farthest thing from his mind when he’d journeyed there, not that he supposed a meal ever passed by that wasn’t formal in a place like that.

“It’s not like I care who he chose. If the bast-…if the guy’s found somebody, then I’m happy for him.” he quickly shifted gears, not wishing to have anyone possibly overhear him calling his brother a bastard. Not that he truly believed anyone would deliberately spy on him, he wasn’t that important, but in a kingdom of this stature, the walls had both eyes and ears. Attempting a quick recovery, he added “I don’t even know the girl!”

“Oh, you know her.” they suddenly heard the flea mumble, but after a quick “What was that?” from Kagome, sensing the apprehension in the small youkai, he could stand it no longer, feeling the approaching battle, even if it were to be a battle of wits, and nothing more. He quickly desired to be anywhere on that night other than where he currently was.

“I’m afraid I’ve said too much…” he said in an almost carefree tone of voice, though he fooled no one. “I’ll leave you to your dressing then.”

And before anyone had time to protest, he was gone.

````````````````

Seeing her mate unconsciously reaching, for the hundredth time, for the sword that did not currently rest against his hip, she reached across and gently took his hand in hers.

“Stop fidgeting.” she scolded with a teasing tone of voice, as they followed the grumbling Jaken towards the dining hall.

The imp had openly expressed his displeasure at having been ordered to escort them, but had failed in his many attempts to gain a rise out of the hanyou, or even the fox-child, for that matter, who walked proudly on Kagome’s left. His hakama were black like Inuyasha’s, but his suikan was green, accenting his hair and matching his eyes. It truly appeared to have been made for him. It did not, for example, feature anything remotely inu in its design, but rather, the painted scenery comprised of forest trees and songbirds, and when one studied closely enough, a burrow of fox cubs could be seen hidden within a thicket.

As they entered the grand hall, the silence that followed was a tangible thing. On any given day, one would assume that the sudden emergence of a hanyou, a human, and a kitsune, within the dining hall of the Inu no Taisho, would be cause for at least a few whispers. The lack of any such happening made it only painfully obvious that the group had not only been briefed of the trio’s arrival, but had also been strictly ordered to not say or do anything unruly. Inuyasha would almost have preferred for at least one of the youkai to mumble something under their breath. Inuyasha would have then at least felt more familiar with his surroundings. He was at least relieved to learn that the dinner wasn’t quite as formal as he’d feared. None of the neighboring Lords were present, for example. It was merely Sesshoumaru’s higher house staff, his guards, liaisons, bookkeepers and scholars.

Well, he thought, This shouldn’t be so bad after all.

Jaken motioned for the three to take their seats, Inuyasha in the spot just to the left of the head of the table, where his brother would obviously be seated, once he arrived, that is. Where was he? Kagome placed herself at Inuyasha’s left, and Shippo at hers. The runt had drawn unwanted attention to himself when a servant was required to fetch him an extra cushion, his small size making it hard for him to reach the table, despite the fact that it was a low table. The kit gulped audibly at the stares they were receiving, though to be honest most of the looks were ones of more curiosity beyond anything else. Guests or no, they were not the main focus of this evening’s affairs.

“Hi Kagome!” a friendlily chipper and familiar voice called, causing Kagome to glance up from her own fidgeting hands to notice the human girl that sat directly across from her at the table, a grumbling Jaken taking up his position to the girl’s right.

“Hello Rin, it’s good to see you again.” The miko addressed softly and politely, pleased that she had found a minor distraction for herself, as she observed the now eleven year old, who was also dressed much more formally that usual.

Rin was sitting to the right of an empty spot, which was sitting to the right of Sesshoumaru’s spot at the head of the table. This other spot, directly across from Inuyasha, was obviously meant to house Sesshoumaru’s intended. Well, we may as well just call her Sesshoumaru’s mate, since Inuyasha had no intentions of rejecting his brother’s chosen. This was all a formality, and an empty one at that, as far as he was concerned.

At the time, when he’d claimed Kagome, his head had been so clouded with desire that his brother had truthfully been the farthest thing from his mind. But he had already come to realize, in the past, when considering, or more daydreaming really, about the possibility of choosing Kagome as his mate, that Sesshoumaru would never approve. That fact had been simply one more thing to add to the list of reasons why he hated his brother. It wasn’t even so much that Sesshoumaru would have disapproved of Kagome, personally, it would have simply been about denying his hanyou brother anything. After the deed had been done, though, Inuyasha had looked at it from this point of view… His brother had banished him from the Western Lands anyway, he already didn’t acknowledge that he was of Inu no Taisho descent, he already swore that he would one day end his life by his own hand, so what difference did it make?

But Sesshoumaru approved of Kagome now, that much was obvious. He had called her strong, and considering she was a human, miko or no, that was a tremendous compliment coming from Sesshoumaru. They were now in an alliance, which apparently went beyond what he’d originally presumed, so for him to not honor his brother’s request that he travel here and give his formal approval, would be a disgrace even Inuyasha deemed his brother didn’t deserve. Even so, glancing around the room full of higher youkai, most of which were inu, Inuyasha couldn’t help but feel a little bit under the microscope, if he knew what a microscope was, that is. All he knew was that all eyes were on him and his small family, and while he could smell Kagome’s nervousness, he was sure the other’s could smell it too. He was also sure that they could smell her “condition,” and sense that she carried the jewel, and for a moment he wondered if he shouldn’t have come alone, after all. He was only thankful that while he knew all eyes (and noses) were on the pair and their kitsune child, they could also feel through their youki the immense spiritual strength that literally oozed itself from Kagome’s very being. Nobody would dare try anything, not that he supposed any of them would, with the wrath of Sesshoumaru already being an installed fear amongst the crowed. But Kagome could purify any of them to dust, something even Tenseiga couldn’t bring back, and they knew it. Many didn’t understand how that was possible, however. How a miko, mated and bonded to a hanyou, and carrying a hanyou pup, could still retain her powers of purification, and without posing a risk to either her mate or her unborn child, or her adopted one at that. What they did understand was what mattered the most, though. If something befell the hanyou, they’d have the wrath of not only Sesshoumaru to deal with, but also the miko as well.

As everyone suddenly felt the aura of the great Taiyoukai approach, the room grew even more silent, which was quite a feat to accomplish in what Kagome had mentally dubbed the vacuum chamber. It was as if all those present had ceased their very hearts from beating, and perhaps they had, waiting patiently until their Lord gave their hearts permission to beat once more. Inuyasha could hardly smell his brother’s arrival, considering the entire compound was literally drenched in his scent. However, he proceeded to sample the air irregardless, perhaps out of instinct, or perhaps out of curiosity as to whom was accompanying his brother. Any sneak peak before they rounded the corner would give him at least some time to prepare. Was she a fellow inu, or some other species? He never in a million years would have expected the scent that reached his nose.

“I smell Naraku.” he whispered low, ridiculously low, in fact, so that only Kagome was sure she had heard him, and despite the fact that she sat beside him, were it not for her enhanced hearing, she wouldn’t have.

Kagome tried not to audibly gasp at the information, instead quickly muffling her feeling of surprise by racking her brain as to what, or who was with her mate’s older brother. There was really only one possibility, wasn’t there?

Entering the dining hall, the couple took their designated seats, and in an instant, dinner was served. As quickly as the room had grown silent, it was once again flourishing with the bustle of activity. Servers scampered, dishes clattered, some voices whispered, while others grew louder, once the sake reserve started to deplete. The conversations ranged from mundane politics to grand escapades, and every once in a while, when one found themselves bold enough, or drunk enough, a comment or two was made in regards to the night’s company.

Kagome had never seen Inuyasha eat so slowly, and she couldn’t decide if he was truly trying to impress everyone with his manners, or if he was merely distracted by the youkai who sat across from him. He could not keep his eyes off of her for long, and despite the chatter in the echoing dining hall, he managed to keep his ears focused forward, as well. She caught his stare on several occasions, and on each she’d offered a small, genuine smile. He never shifted his expression much, but if one emotion would have been readable there, it would have been uncertainty.

Bowing her head after a moment, she addressed him in the simplest of greetings, a mere acknowledgment of his presence, and not much more. “Inuyasha…” she’d said, the way she’d raised her pitch at the last portion of his name giving away her meaning of the word to articulate “hello.”

“Kagura…” he greeted in return.