InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Burying the Hatchet ( Chapter 75 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 75 - Burying the Hatchet





“Welcome!” Ayame greeted with mirth, as she rushed forward to embrace Kagome as Ginta and Hakkaku took their leave.

The she-wolf was never one for formality or protocol, and as far as she knew, neither was the miko.

Kagome eagerly returned the hug, before the redheaded wolf-youkai pulled herself far back enough to next face Inuyasha.

“Welcome…” she repeated, though a little softer, as she reached forward and cupped his upper arm with her hand, giving a light squeeze. She didn’t dare rush up and hug the hanyou, but she wasn’t one for bowing, either, and truth be told, they were all equals.

“Keh.” he verbalized with a small nod, as he reached up and briefly cupped her arm in turn, before they released one another. Ayame smiled.

Bending down slightly, she then greeted Shippo with a “Well, hello there.” to which he replied… “Keh”

Everyone chuckled.

“Hi…” Kouga greeted cautiously, relieved when he received a gentle smile from Kagome, as well as a nod of recognition from Inuyasha, before the miko took it upon herself to say “Hi Kouga.” with an air of forgiveness in her voice.

The male wolf shuffled his foot nervously.

“And who is this little guy?” Ayame asked quickly, cutting through the sudden awkwardness as she smiled down at the bundle in Kagome’s arms.

“Keh, his name’s Kazuki.” informed Inuyasha.

Gazing down at the miniature version of the adult hanyou, there was no doubt in Kouga’s mind that Inuyasha was a lot stronger than he had ever giving him credit for. He did recall that the hanyou could transform into a full youkai, but to the best of his knowledge, those transformations had only taken place against the mutt’s will, and during times of extreme danger, when his life had been on the line, and his sealing sword was outside his reach. The hanyou pup was unquestionably his, which proved that Inuyasha was capable of initiating his youkai-self during times other than a life-threatening battle. The appearance of his family’s crests upon his cheeks, which had not gone unnoticed by either ookami, would also seem to suggest that some measure of control had been achieved since the last time they’d met.

Kagome didn’t miss the way Kouga was looking Inuyasha over, with an expression of mild surprise, and resignation. She had been a little nervous that the two would start up their usual pissing contest, though Inuyasha had vowed that he would keep himself under control, for her sake, regardless of how Kouga acted. Not to mention the fact that their meeting was his first official assignment as secondary Lord, and he didn’t want to displease Sesshoumaru, either. But when Kagome recognized Kouga’s look for what it was, she released a silent sigh of relief at the realization that Kouga wasn’t about to start anything, anyway. After all, they’d already had their battle - a horrific one, at that - and Kouga had lost. Sure, he could challenge him to a rematch, if he wanted to start a conflict between the West and the North, but she seriously doubted that Kouga even had much of a desire to fight Inuyasha at all, considering that the reason for their continued squabbles no longer existed.

She was pulled from her thoughts when Ayame leaned in closer to Kazuki, ruffling his silver hair the same way Ginta and Hakkaku had done - ever mindful of the ears - before she cooed…

“We’ve got someone for you to meet, too.”

Ignoring her mate’s brief look of surprise, Ayame turned to face the deep opening of the cave behind her. “Come on out, Akiaka…” she called.

Kagome’s smiles widened when she and Inuyasha spotted the third little wolf, whom their noses had told them was hiding back there in the shadows. They hadn’t noticed at first, what with how strongly the scent of wolf, in general, permeated the era, but that particular cave also smelt strongly of fresh water, presumably from a flowing river located deeply within, and it seemed to cleanse the immediate area of most older smells, which then made detecting fresher scents a little easier. The third wolf scent they’d picked up, while unique in and of itself, was also distinctly a mix of both Kouga and Ayame, though not in the way that the adult wolves’ scents could have mixed through external contact.

“Ohhh…..” Kagome gasped at the sight of her, hand over heart. The little girl, not much older than one - though she appeared closer to two - was just about the cutest darn toddler the miko had ever seen.

Dressed in furs, as were the rest of the ookami, it was clear that this little angel was meant to grow up to be a warrior, not a palace lady. Yet, there was an innocence about her that made Kagome’s heart swell, and even brought a smile to Inuyasha’s eyes. She was wearing a mixture of white and brown furs, in honor of being the first child born from the union of the two clans. Her hair was a vibrant red, like her mother’s, and was also tied up in identical pigtails, though her hair lacked the same length as the adult she-wolf. A purple iris resting daintily in her left pigtail seemed the perfect finishing touch. Instead of green, her eyes were a piercing ice blue, like her father’s.

“Akiaka…” her mother addressed the small girl, “This is Lord Inuyasha and Lady Kagome of the Western lands…” she gestured to the two visiting adults, “…and their cubs, Shippo and Kazuki.” she finished, acknowledging the children.

“Hello…” the girl spoke softly, bowing in proper respect to her elders, her young mind harboring no prejudice toward the mortal and half-mortal, “…it’s nice to meet you.” she continued, her articulation remarkably advanced for someone so young.

Inuyasha inwardly smirked. He knew wolves were smart, though he’d always made an exception in Kouga’s case, but he had to applaud Ayame’s ingenious with having their young, impressionable daughter present for the evening’s negotiations. He knew that if he didn’t watch his tongue around the child, he would regret it the moment he and Kagome were alone, and…he figured that Kouga had been faced with a similar realization. No name-calling allowed in front of the young one. But Inuyasha wasn’t worried, anyway. He wasn’t nearly as hotheaded as he used to be, and even if Kouga taunted him just like how he used to, Inuyasha knew he could easily keep his word to Kagome, and remain calm. He briefly envisioned Kouga going off on him, calling him a weak hanyou, while he remained perfectly at peace, while simultaneously shifting himself into his full youkai form as he sat in comfort, Kouga promptly shutting up as a result, with a terrified look of death on his face. Then he’d simply glance up as if confused, and mutter “What?” as though he thought that perhaps he had some food on his face.

Everyone glanced at Inuyasha, wondering what he was suddenly snickering about, but the mildly embarrassed hanyou waved his hand dismissively, his daydream thoroughly destroyed, as Kouga apprehensively decided in that moment that they’d better get down to business.

Briefly going into the details of what he believed would be a beneficial alliance, Inuyasha had to give the boy credit; he knew what he was talking about. Technically, Kouga was actually above Inuyasha in rank, as he was the Ookami no Taisho, while it was Inuyasha’s brother Sesshoumaru that was the Inu no Taisho, but the wolf was respectful as he addressed the West’s second in command. He did not add any honorifics to his name, nor did any of them when they spoke to each other, truthfully, as they’d decided such formalities were not required among previously acquainted “friends”, though the simple fact that he referred to him as Inuyasha spoke volumes in and of itself. He couldn’t honestly remember a time when the wolf had referred to him as anything other than some form of insult or another, except for the very last time they’d seen the guy, when he’d apologized for…for what had happened.

Inuyasha wondered briefly if Ayame was even aware of what had taken place during that fateful month of spring, and decided then and there to let it remain in the past forever.

He surprised Kouga in turn, by referring to him as…Kouga…as he expressed his desire to discus certain matters further, and proceeded to extend invitation for him and Ayame to venture West at some point, so that they could meet with Sesshoumaru as well. A sudden flash of nervousness revealed itself in the Ookami no Taisho’s ice-blue stare, before nodding his understanding that a meeting in the West would eventually be unavoidable. It wasn’t so much Sesshoumaru himself that the ookami was worried about, but the Taiyoukai’s mate.

“Don’t worry…” Inuyasha assured him suddenly, as though reading Kouga’s mind, “Everyone knows that whatever happened in the past…” he paused, deliberately meeting the wolf’s eyes with his own, “…is in the past.” he finished, hoping he got his double meaning.

“Yeah…” Shippo piped up, “Rin is really nice, and I’m sure she forgives you…” he blurted, before the wide-eyed, confused looks on the wolves’ faces dawned on him. “Er…that is…”

“Way to go…” Inuyasha chastised, lightly flicking the kit’s nose. “This is why children shouldn’t be present for adult discussions.” he muttered under his breath, but Akiaka heard him, and being old enough to understand what he said, the young girl suddenly seemed a little uneasy.

“You’re perfectly all right, sweetie.” Kagome instantly soothed upon sensing the toddler’s discomfort. “Why don’t you show Shippo around the cave?” she offered, raising her eyes briefly to Ayame’s wintergreen orbs, seeking verification that what she’d just suggested was actually okay.

Nodding her agreement, Ayame turned to her young daughter and said “Go and show Shippo the fountain, okay?” A small woof that basically meant “Akiaka is good cub” alleviated any fears the toddler had that she’d somehow done something wrong and was being sent away.

“Fountain?” Kagome asked, smiling as Ayame briefly described their cave’s inner water source, which was a small waterfall that met an inner part of the river. The miko quickly decided that before they left, she’d like to see the fountain.

Meanwhile, the conversation Inuyasha was having with Shippo was a little different.

“Get outta here, blabbermouth…” Inuyasha scolded lightly, to let Shippo know that he hadn’t really done anything that bad, but he also still had a lot to learn. A bark that equaled “behave” followed after him.

“So…” Ayame started after a moment, “Rin?” she asked simply, recognizing the name as belonging to the human girl Lord Sesshoumaru had publicly announced as being his daughter.

Sighing, Inuyasha went into a brief account of how Kouga’s wolves had ‘injured’ the girl, which was how she’d come to find herself in Sesshoumaru’s care in the first place. He assured them quickly that the girl held no ill will, nor did she harbor fear, toward the Ookami no Taisho, or any wolf-youkai, for that matter.

A sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach told Kouga that he knew his wolves never just ‘injured’ anyone, though he didn’t ask. Those rumors about Lord Sesshoumaru’s healing sword suddenly didn’t sound so much like rumors at all. Though Kouga had not been alive during the time of the senior Inu no Taisho, Ayame’s grandfather had been, and he’d heard many tales since joining their clan about how Lord Toga could conquer death with his Sword of Heaven. A true testament to his power, when you considered the fact that the sword had originally been forged from his very own fang. That same power now flowed through the veins of the current Inu no Taisho, as well as the hanyou that currently sat before him.

Kouga gulped inaudibly. It had taken him two jewel shards just to come close to matching the hanyou’s power, and that was before…whatever had obviously happened between then and now. True, most of the mutt…er…Lord’s power was in that sword of his, but it took someone of his blood to even wield Tetsusaiga in the first place. It wasn’t like any ol’ youkai could just come along and use the thing, even he knew that much. Anyone would be a fool to disregard or disrespect someone of Inuyasha’s caliber, hanyou or no…and guiltily, Kouga suddenly realized just what a fool he’d really been.

In his attempt at keeping his cool, Kouga didn’t notice the way a pair of jade eyes gazed at him from across the room with a mixture of concern and determination.


``````````````````````````



Bellowing laughter echoed throughout the limestone cavern. The picked over remains of a decent sized boar remained warm by the fire, while two male youkai bickered halfheartedly over empty gourds of sake.

It had been Ayame’s idea. It was clear how nervous Kouga had become after realizing how intricate a part his past behaviors had played in Sesshoumaru’s life. Even after Kagome had tried to assure him that “all things happened for a reason” and attempted to get him to realize that, were it not for his wolves’ attack, Sesshoumaru would never have kept Rin in the first place, he still seemed unnaturally apprehensive when it came to discussions of taking their proposition for an alliance to the Taiyoukai himself. Kouga wasn’t a politician, he wasn’t a courtier, and he most certainly wasn’t a Taiyoukai worthy of equal status in chamber with one as great as Lord Sesshoumaru. Sure…he had been the leader of his own wolf pack, but the leader of an entire compass land? He’d never before even fathomed such a thing, and had more or less been thrown to the wolves, if you’ll pardon the pun.

But his unease didn’t honestly have so much to do with the discovery of what had actually happened to the human girl, though that had disturbed him somewhat, initially, but more specifically…it was the fundamental realization of just how powerful mutt-face had become. If there was one thing Kouga prided himself on, it was his survival instincts, instincts that were currently screaming at him that the half-breed that sat before him was the superior male. Something his pride as a ruler was having a little more difficulty accepting.

Ayame knew that, and she also knew that if her mate and Inuyasha could put their differences behind them, that the friendship that could potentially form as a result would be stronger than any “strategic alliance” established among ruling countrysides…

“Yeah…? Well you always just ran away with your tail between your legs!”

…The key was to figure out how to get that friendship to develop in the first place.

“At least I never got my face slammed into the ground by some bitch’s command!”

“Oi!”

Wincing, Ayame prepared to assure Kagome that Kouga hadn’t meant the term in reference to the way she knew humans took it, as an insult, but she was relieved to find the miko merely shaking her head in mild amusement, having taken no offense to the description whatsoever. Kagome had agreed with the she-wolf’s decision to bust out the sake supply, and was actually finding it rather difficult not to laugh at their boys’ current exchange.

Kagome knew she could trust Inuyasha to not engage Kouga in any serious combat; he had given his word, after all. Ayame knew she could trust Kouga to not engage Inuyasha, since it was clear the hanyou possessed more power than himself. The women trusted each other in their judgment of their own mates, and therefore, the decision was made to let the boys have it out with the words. Words each girl was sure their mate’s had been itching to shout since the moment they’d each started breathing the same air.

Ayame had put Akiaka to bed hours ago, with Shippo “standing guard” to keep the youth distracted should she wake, so she didn’t wander out into the main living area of the cave while the adults were “talking.” Kazuki, still too young to truly understand what was being said, remained in the main room with Mama, though the little guy was also tuckered out for the moment, and sleeping quite soundly, despite all the noise.

“You get on me for two measly shards and look what you did!”

Kouga was referring to Midoriko’s ‘assistance’ with Inuyasha’s current state of being, which the hanyou had proudly blabbed about after consuming his third jug of sake.

“She just gave me a little push…” said hanyou defended, as he proceeded to shift himself into his full-youkai form.

“Neat.” Ayame interjected under her breath, earning a smiling nod out of her human guest.

“…I would have done this eventually anyway.” Inuyasha finished, insistent.

Kouga sobered a bit upon registering the piercing stare of his companion’s crimson orbs, before breaking down into a new fit of laughter.

“Oi!”

“No wonder you were able to sire Kazuki!” the wolf managed to shout through his laughter.

Kagome had no choice but to interject there.

“Actually…” she pointed out, smirking at the way she instantly gained the attention of both men, as though they had forgotten the women were even present until that moment, “Inuyasha purified the jewel on the evening of Kazuki’s birth.” She proudly explained.

Inuyasha crossed his arms smugly at Kouga’s shocked expression.

“He assisted me with the conception of our son quite under his own power.” she continued, “As he himself stated, it was a power he was gaining, regardless.” she supplied, only the mildest of blushes present on her cheeks, which was understandable given the topic of discussion.

“Got anything else to say, wimpy wolf?” The hanyou-turned-youkai asked drunkenly.

“Yeah…” said wolf-youkai admitted offhandedly, comically adding “But I ain’t that drunk.” behind a chuckle. “Only a fool would incautiously posture in front of someone soooooo powerful…” he emphasized, adding with another laugh, “Kagome would totally kick my ass.”

“Oi!”

Ayame just offered Kagome another sheepish grin, while shrugging her shoulders. Kagome’s understanding smile, as well as dismissing hand gestures, indicated she fully understood where the she-wolf was coming from. Considering it was the woman in a wolf pack that held the higher rank, Kagome decided to take it upon herself to get further negotiations under way, while the men were…preoccupied. While she couldn’t speak for Sesshoumaru, she did know that the Taiyoukai had more or less given Inuyasha permission to speak on his behalf regarding the matter, and so she didn’t honestly believe it was necessary for the wolf pair to venture into the West, or at least not so soon…especially if it might create unease between the families. While she was sure Shippo had been correct in his rather blatant assumption that Rin would forgive the wolves, that wasn’t necessarily to say that the girl was ready to sip tea with her former attackers.

It was decided then that the alliance would officially be formed, on the word of Inuyasha’s judgment - as far as Sesshoumaru was concerned - and Kagome and Ayame shook hands to seal the deal. Offering the human girl some sake as well, Kagome politely declined. She hadn’t fully weaned Kazuki yet, and didn’t know if it was safe to drink while still breast-feeding her infant; the true nature of his hanyou metabolism still remaining somewhat of a mystery to the once-modern city girl when it came to matters such as those. She did take one sip, along with Ayame, to finalize their realms’ partnership, but that was it. With Kagome’s assurance that she didn’t feel “left out,” it wasn’t long before the she-wolf got as plastered as her mate.

Needless to say, she and Inuyasha would be spending the night.


``````````````````````````````````

One good thing about being demonic meant that hangovers were nonexistent, along with blackouts. The following morning, both Inuyasha and Kouga felt fine, recalling each and every precise detail of the previous evening’s ‘conversation’, and with brief glances flashed in each other’s direction, it wasn’t long before the men were chuckling again.

Looks as though my plan worked… Ayame patted herself on the back.

All Inuyasha and Kouga needed was to get out all their aggressions - without it escalating to the point of physical violence.

“You’re doing good for yourself, wolf.” Inuyasha admitted, as they walked around the maze of caves and waterfalls, touring their boarders, “I’m glad for you.” he confessed.

“You too, mutt.” Kouga complemented, “Bout the single strongest hanyou I’ve ever fucking heard of.”

“No shit.” Inuyasha chuckled in turn. “I’m the strongest hanyou anyone’s ever heard of.”

“Glad to see you haven’t let it go to your head.” the wolf chuckled sarcastically, “Wouldn’t want to make it too big, and not have room for those damn ears.”

“I’m sorry…” the hanyou grinned mischievously, “Are they making you uncomfortable?” he asked in mock concern, as he proceeded to shift himself into a seemingly human-like body.

“Wha…?” Kouga stammered, gazing across from himself at the apparently human Inuyasha. But something wasn’t quite right. He’d seen his human form before, after all, and knew that during his night of weakness, he smelled human. For all intents and purposes, he was human. But right now…*sniff*…he smelled exactly the same.

Mumbling something colorful under his breath in his confusion, Kouga had to laugh when Inuyasha brushed his hairs back behind his humanoid ear, and taunted “I can still hear you.” in a sing-song voice.

“Son-of-a-bitch…” Kouga whistled, impressed.

“Actually, my mother was human - hanyou, remember?” he teased.

“If you can make yourself look normal without losing your senses, why walk around looking like…that…?” Kouga asked sincerely, gesturing to the now once again hanyou-looking hanyou.

Shrugging noncommittally, Inuyasha answered “Kagome likes the way I look, I’m used to it, and Kazuki ain’t got the power to change how he looks, so I gotta be an example for the little guy, right?”

Kouga paused for a moment, smiling briefly at the back of the hanyou that kept walking toward the main cave without him when he’d stopped. Shaking his head in amusement, Kouga realized Inuyasha had more honor than he’d ever given him credit for, too.

Back in the cave, Kagome quickly informed her mate of the arrangements she and Ayame had agreed upon the night before. She was mildly worried that he’d be upset with her, since males were supposed to dominant in the Inu clan, but instead, he thanked her with a chaste kiss, acknowledging that he was glad that at least somebody had kept their head on right the previous evening. He wondered if Sesshoumaru would be disappointed to learn of the bumbling drunkard he had become, but…considering Kouga had become just as drunk, and it was their sake, and their idea to “toast” their unity, he supposed that everything that’d happened had followed within the parameters of what he’d set out to do. He was to play nice with the North, and play nice with the North he did.

Inuyasya was a little surprised though, when upon their departure, Ayame suddenly did take the extra step to embrace him in a friendly hug, as she’d failed to do the previous day, taking advantage of their proximity to whisper “Thank you…for everything.”

It was in that moment, when Inuyasha gazed into the she-wolf’s emerald eyes, that he realized that she was aware…of everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Akiaka...

I took a few liberties with the creation of this name. I don’t know that such a word would actually be considered a child’s name, but I think it’s cute.

“Aki” in and of itself can be used as either a male or female name, and means either “Bright” or “Autumn”

When used as the first part of a name, however, it usually means bright.

“Aka” is literally the color “Red”

Therefore, the young wolf cub bears the name “Bright Red”

I don’t know if because of the double-vowel, the “i” should actually be dropped, like in the name Akemi, making the proper name “Akaka” instead, but I like the sound of “Akiaka” better...so there. The vowels are pronounced separately and distinctively, not rushed together. You want to avoid a Y sounding “akyaka” type feel. Instead, it is pronounced the same way as in the English word “kiosk.”