InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ As the seasons change... ( Chapter 77 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 77 - As the seasons change...




“And then what happened?”

“Well…” Kagome explained behind a giggle, “There he was, hanging onto the lizard youkai by his teeth…”

“Mom…” was suddenly stressed in the universal tone for “You are embarrassing me!”

“Now now Shippo…” she waved off dismissively, “As your mother, it’s my job to tell your girlfriend embarrassing stories.” she laughed.

Rin and Shippo both sported equal blushes as they stammered “I’m not…” “She’s not…” at the same time.

“Yeah yeah yeah…” Inuyasha piped up, also waving his hand dismissively, “Don’t forget Kagome,” he spoke up on his son’s behalf, “Shippo sensed the Wind Scar for the first time that day.” He smiled with pride as he added, “Hurt that youkai something fierce. There was hardly anything left for me to kill.” he boasted, causing Shippo to puff up his chest in accomplishment.

“And you saved the girl, right?” Rin asked, fully engrossed in the story, and proud of her youkai friend that sat beside her, whom she addressed with the question “What about the jewel shard?”

“Well,” Shippo explained, his embarrassment gone, “It turned out that it wasn’t a real jewel shard after all. Her brother probably knew that, but had given it to her as a symbol of his love. He probably knew he wouldn’t return from the wars.”

“She finally agreed to move in with others in the village who wanted to take care of her.” Kagome elaborated, and Rin nodded thoughtfully, happy that that girl had lived in such a nice village.

An involuntary shudder ran through her at the memory of her own childhood, before Sesshoumaru came. To look at the happy and healthy thirteen year old in that moment, you never would peg her for having been an abused orphan in her earlier years. She tended to skip through those chapters of her life, often relishing in her earliest memories, glad that she could still in fact remember them. The times before the bandits came, when she still lived happily with her parents and brothers. Rin had been loved once, and even as the villagers beat her, and she scavenged for food in the forest, she knew that her life would not remain that way forever. She had had a family once, and something in her told her that she would have a family again one day. It was that belief that had kept her going, kept her outlook on life positive. The day she’d found Sesshoumaru in the forest, Rin had known he was a youkai, but she’d had no reason to fear him because it had only ever been humans that had caused her harm. She honestly hadn’t thought too much into it at the time. She hadn’t feared him, nor did she see him and think, here is my salvation. No, she’d seen him and thought… Oh no! He’s hurt! It was probably that purity and innocence that had made the Taiyoukai decide to allow her to follow him in the first place.

Rin never did ask Sesshoumaru why he’d revived her, or why he’d allowed her follow him afterward. All she’d known was that that youkai…that person…had been the first one to show any signs of caring about her well-being at all, even though he’d denied it afterwards, stating it was mere curiosity…regarding the bruises on her face. For the longest time, Rin had associated herself as being a servant, such as Jaken, until she grew old enough to understand her utter uselessness to one as great as her Lord. Yet she had unwavering faith that he would never fail to rescue her during the few times her life had come into danger, and he never had.

Even her weak human ears had picked up on the rumors spoken about her, and even when she was too young to understand most of them, she knew enough to know that some of the youkai at the castle did not appreciate her presence. It hadn’t really bothered her because she was used to not being wanted, and at least she’d known that she was wanted by Lord Sesshoumaru. That much was proven to her time and time again, when it was those youkai who had been “asked” to leave the castle, instead of herself. The day he chose her over some of his own staff was the day Rin truly realized just how much he actually cared for her. No one would put their ‘pet’ ahead of their loyal staff members. Sometimes the whispers still got to her, though, and on those rare occasions, Wenying had always done her best to soothe her human tears. That gentle panda-youkai was one of her truest friends, next to Sesshoumaru himself, and of course, Jaken.

Sure…the imp pretended he couldn’t stand her most of the time. It probably bothered him to high heavens when she had first joined their little group, his jealousy over her importance matched only by his own carnal desires as a youkai. It wasn’t until she had been traveling with them for a little over a year that Rin had learned that a kappa’s favorite food was the flesh of human children. A little bit of trivia about the amphibious demons rarely mentioned, it seemed. Another truth of kappa was that if you could get them to make a promise, then they would keep that promise for all eternity, and Jaken confessed to her one day that the first evening she had joined their group, Sesshoumaru had pulled him aside and demanded that he give his word to not harm her in any way, or face the consequences. It was truly a bonding experience for Rin and Jaken, when they’d talked that day. Having remembered the time that the girl had risked her very life to save his own, when Naraku’s poisoned insect had gotten to him, the kappa, for once, found it necessary to tell the girl that he “No longer disliked her”. The truth was, Jaken had grown very protective of her, and Rin knew that he loved her, in his own weird little way.

There were many people who loved her now, her new family having grown larger than she could have ever imagined. As she glanced around her uncle’s hut, Rin smiled. Her current visit was the second time now that Rin had come to their village, though the first visit hadn’t gone exactly as planned. She had traveled there with Jaken, per her original agreement with Lord Sesshoumaru, but the little youkai had started freaking out on her about halfway through their flight upon Ah-Un, when he had suddenly said that he could detect the scent of her blood. Rin, having had no injuries that she knew of, was confused to say the least, and Jaken’s panic succeeded in making her grow quite worried herself. Instead of happily running up to Shippo and the others upon her arrival, she had fled straight to Kagome, while nearly hyperventilating. Needless to say, an embarrassing conversation later, and the imp would hardly look at her the entire time they were at the village, though he also refused to let her leave his sight, saying that she would “attract youkai” in her “state”. Embarrassed, Rin had avoided getting too close to Shippo, though the kit, who was used to years of traveling with two adult human females, honestly hadn’t minded her altered scent in the least. Still, he sympathized that she felt uncomfortable, so it was quickly decided that her trip would be cut short, until she could return at a more appropriate time of the month.

Sesshoumaru had been momentarily surprised to detect Rin’s altered scent when she’d returned home, but rather than being uncomfortable in her presence, he merely acknowledged her passage into adulthood. Of course, that was done in strict Sesshoumaru fashion, the words he actually spoke being along the lines of “As you are no longer a child, you shall be expected to act accordingly.”

Needless to say, it was a bit of a bummer, at first, when she realized that the others wouldn’t tolerate her child-like behavior any longer. She was expected to act like a “lady” now, and Wenying was quick to start her on a new regiment of training, after a quick apology for not having prepared her for the natural transition her body had just undergone. There were some things about humans that the youkai had simply been unaware of. Rin had brushed it off, assuring her nanny that she wasn’t upset, understanding that humans were different than most mammal-based youkai in that aspect of their lives. Her sensei Nekobi had since explained to her that she, as well as the inu-youkai females in the castle, all went through estrous, just like their mortal animal counter-parts, instead of the menstrual cycle that human females experience.

A benefit to growing up, Rin discovered, was that when she had succeeded in her next level of training, earning herself another visit to Inuyasha’s village, Sesshoumaru had permitted her to make the journey on her own…if she felt she was ready. Rin had happily jumped at the opportunity. Not that she didn’t appreciate Jaken’s company, but the way he always glared at her and Shippo like a school chaperone was a little annoying at times. Sesshoumaru knew that Rin would be safe, as during the trip itself, Ah-Un provided all the security the young woman would need, and she would only be descending once reaching the safety of his brother’s village.

Smiling once more as the newly blossomed young woman continued to glance around her surroundings, she was definitely glad that the kappa hadn’t come with her. Shippo sat at her side, as close as possible without their legs physically touching, while he gazed at her affectionately as they spoke. Across the fire from them, Kagome sat with Inuyasha, their bodies linked together by the one year old who comically insisted on sitting in both of their laps - at the same time. That resulted in Kagome herself halfway sitting in Inuyasha’s lap as well, a position she didn’t seem to mind in the least, even in present company. Rin had blushed when Kazuki - uncaring of her presence as well - had made a grab for Kagome’s breast. His new subtle way of saying he was hungry. Kagome scolded his rude behavior while Inuyasha tried not to laugh, making a comment about that being another benefit of her chihaya being claw-resistant. That statement finally earned a blush on the miko’s cheeks, and when Rin turned a questioning glance in Shippo’s direction, she was surprised to also find a blush adorning his cheeks, as well.

Well…being a youkai himself, there was likely a lot of things he knew about his parents, that most twelve-year-old boys would rather not know.

```````````````````````````````````

“Sango, dear, are you all right?” asked Miroku, as he found his wife having once again paused in her work at plucking weeds from their garden, gripping her stomach as though its contents may leave her.

“I am fine, Miroku.” she insisted, “My breakfast is simply not agreeing with me today.” she chuckled, as she once again resumed her weeding.

Cradling Emi in a powder-pink sling she wore over her back, courtesy of one 20th century miko, Sango planned on taking advantage of every ounce of “hands free” time she could get. She knew that once Emi was too old for the thing, her days would be filled with chasing after the rambunctious toddler. Her garden may very well suffer dearly at that time…so she’d better cherish the remaining days of growing that were allotted to her.

It was weird, having most of the day to herself, because Sango had gotten rather used to a full house. But Kohaku, those days, spent most of the working hours over at Kaori’s hut. Apparently, he had caught wind that their hut was one of a few that Inuyasha was informed needed mild repair work done after a fairly resent storm. Upon hearing that little tidbit of information, the young Taijiya had insisted that he be the one to do all of the repairs. Inuyasha usually wasn’t one to back down from his duties, but he could read the determination in young Kohaku’s eyes, and had told him simply that if he realized later that he needed help, to not hesitate to ask. Kohaku had nodded his understanding, but insisted that that would not be necessary.

Miroku usually spent most days offering his council to those who sought it, wishing for advice from his years of training as a Buddhist monk, though he no longer officially followed that profession. It had also been decided equally by all, that whenever traders came to the village, he was the one assigned to handle the negotiations. Quite probably another reason why Kaede’s village had prospered so greatly as of late. Nobody could resist his charms…and that often included some of the women. But, Miroku was true to his word as a devoted husband and father, and never once allowed his hands, or usually even his eyes, to ever venture beyond the lovely figure that was his wife.

Without Kohaku staying at home to keep watch over Sango and Emi, Miroku was heading outward into the village less frequently, and for that, Sango was grateful. As he crouched down beside her then, while she continued to rid her vegetable garden of a few remaining weeds, he asked her again if she was sure she was feeling all right.

“I told you…” she replied sweetly, while concentrating on keeping the bile from rising within her throat, “…I’m fine.”

``````````````````````````````````

Rin held her sides while she laughed at the spectacle before her, the image of her kappa friend running around in frantic circles simply too much to bear.

“Lord Sesshoumaru! Lord Sesshoumaru! Help me my Lord! There is a shadow youkai chasing me!”

“That…” she tried to get out between her bellowing laughter, “That is merely your own shadow, Master Jaken.” she answered, playing along.

Suddenly, the panic-stricken youkai came to an abrupt halt, and glared at his human companion with an air of condescending disdain.

“Rin! How dare you question Lord Sesshoumaru?!”

Said girl fell over in laughter.

With a comical *pop* the image of Jaken was gone, instantly replaced with one of a big fluffy dog. A chow-chow, to be exact. Some of the paintings in the castle of nobles from the continent included imagery of the mortal beasts, and Rin often openly expressed her fondness for the animals.

Pouncing swiftly, Rin quickly found that she hardly had time to catch her breath, let alone move, as her face was suddenly bombarded with big wet kisses from a big black tongue.

“Hahahahaha Shippo! Stop! Hahahahahaha” she laughed into the afternoon.

The kitsune, changing back into his true form, wondered for the briefest of moments if perhaps he had overstepped his bounds, but the happy girl below him merely bound up to her feet, with quite the spring in her step, as she playfully said “Do me!”

“Pa…pardon?”

“Do me next Shippo! I wanna see!” she squealed excitedly, which caused a relieved chuckle to escape the kitsune’s lips.

“Okay…if you’re sure…” he answered suggestively, while reaching into his vest for another leaf…

```````````````````````````````````

“Ko haku-chan, dear, would you like to take a break?” Kaori’s mother asked the youth as she stepped outside.

“No thank you, Saito-san.” he answered respectfully, “I’m nearly finished with this last section.” he called from over his shoulder as he started to climb back up onto the roof.

“Kohaku-chan…” she started, “How many times do I have to tell you…?” she scolded playfully, “Please call me Kumiko.”

He turned, posed halfway up the ladder, and with a mild blush staining his cheeks, he answered “A-all right…Kumiko-san.”

Nodding, the older woman went back inside.

Kumiko had been widowed a few years back, when her husband fought along side a few other men from the village against a bear youkai that had suddenly attacked them. Inuyasha had still been sealed at the time, and while Kaede’s arrows were strong, and were ultimately what had brought an end to the beast, a front-line of fighters had been required to protect the women and children until the elder miko could be fetched from her shrine duties.

Kumiko’s husband, Kaori’s father, was one of three men who had fallen that day.

More recently, in the last couple of years - once Inuyasha became an official Lord, and took on full responsibility of his village as such - Kumiko and Kaori had been one of the families to receive special treatment, being that there was no ‘man of the house’. Inuyasha always made sure they had plenty of firewood, especially during the cold months, as well as plenty of food, and Kagome had also told them that they were welcome to come to them at any time, day or night, if there was anything at all that they needed.

Before that time, Kumiko had bravely tried to prove herself just as self-reliant as the single men in the village. She was still relatively young and healthy, but lacking in the physical strength department. Fortunately, her growing daughter had helped in that area, by taking on most of the more grueling chores that her slowly aging bones were having more and more difficulty with as time went by. All things considered, you couldn’t say that they weren’t extremely grateful for Inuyasha’s aid, once it was finally offered.

Some men of the village had offered their assistance in the past, of course, but not without the condition that Kumiko marry them, which was a rather commonplace proposal that day and age. It would have been a win/win situation, in a way. She would gain a new man around the house, to take care of the manly duties, while they, at the same time, would acquire for themselves a wife, to take care of the wifely duties. Regrettably, Kumiko had known that she may be forced to agree to their terms, one day, and was merely grateful that with Kaede’s influence, the men of their village all left her alone to make the final decision for herself, rather than merely making it for her. Kaede would not tolerate such a thing happening in her village.

Kumiko had just been nearing the end of her rope, and had honestly been starting to consider marriage the only option left to her, when fortunately for herself and her daughter, Inuyasha had suddenly stepped in as village protector before it had finally become necessary.

Kaori had grown unusually strong for a girl, considering she’d been chopping firewood since she was ten. Having no siblings meant that all of the responsibilities fell on her, and her alone, whenever her mother took ill. As a result, she was rather well toned, muscular even. Not to a ridiculous point, only what one would gain from fieldwork, chopping wood, fetching water, and hunting game. But for the men in the village who wanted a nice, quiet, subdued little woman, Kaori was simply not future wife material. She too had feared that she would be forced to one day accept a man’s proposition of a win/win marital agreement, believing love was simply not destined for her, until the day he arrived.

The entire village was in celebration over the defeat of Naraku, and even the hanyou had appeared happier than she’d ever recalled seeing him before, as he actually participated in the evening’s events. But one person in the group wasn’t celebrating…somebody whom she’d never even seen with that group before…

“Kohaku…” she called, as she stepped outside, her mother currently preparing dinner, “Would you like some water?” she asked the young man on her roof.

His heart fluttered as he heard her voice float up to where he worked, “Just one minute, Kaori.” he called down to her, addressing her just as familiarly.

“Thank you.” he smiled, taking the offered gourd. It was then Kaori’s heart’s turn to flutter.

Kohaku hadn’t judged her. Actually, he had hardly acknowledged her at all, at first. But sometimes it had been him who had delivered the hanyou’s firewood and food, saying it was his duty to help in any way he could, and those times had given them the opportunity to eventually get to know one another. When he’d found out that it had been Kaori herself who had previously done most of the labor her mother couldn’t handle, instead of scowling, and saying something along the lines of “Women shouldn’t do men’s work.” which she’d heard more than once, he had smiled at her, and said how lucky her mother was, to have such a tough daughter, to be able to help take care of her like that.

His reaction made a little more sense later, when Kaori learned that the female Taijiya, Sango, was his older sister, and that he’d grown up in a village that had treated women with equal respect when it came to their physical strength and abilities. He wasn’t threatened by a woman who could hold her own, but rather, to Kohaku, it only seemed natural. He managed to find a way to sympathize with her situation, and state that she shouldn’t have to do all that hard labor, while at the same time, voicing his opinion that women could do whatever it was they wanted to do. More and more often, it had become Kohaku himself, rather than Inuyasha, who had delivered the supplies to Kaori and her mother. She did express her gratitude over not having to chop wood any longer, but he could tell that something was bothering her in the back of her mind. Eventually, Kaori confessed that she’d actually gotten accustomed to being active and fit, and that she was nervous about the day she would become somebody’s wife, because she didn’t want to be some home body who just sat around serving tea, or anything else that most would consider woman‘s work. He had sympathized, but at the time, hadn’t really known what to tell her. It wasn’t until later that he’d wondered if she hadn’t actually been hinting to something when she’d said that. When Kohaku realized that the thought of her marrying some random villager brought a stab of pain to his heart, he knew he had some serious thinking to do.

The day Kohaku finally approached her regarding his desire to court her as his future wife himself, he had literally brought tears of joy to her eyes.

***Flashback***

“Kaori, may I speak with you?” he asked, his nervousness apparent.

“Of course Kohaku, what’s on your mind?” the girl answered with her own question, as they approached the village’s active well, where Kaori needed to fetch that day’s water.

“Kaori…” he started, smiling at how little effort she showed when placing the heavy pole upon her shoulders, full buckets hanging from each end. “Don’t think I’m suggesting that you can’t take care of yourself, but…”

She paused, quirking an eyebrow at his unusual nervousness…

“…I…I want to take care of you, if you’ll let me.” he finished hesitantly.

“Kohaku?” she blinked, “What are you saying?”

“I…I disagree with the men of the village.” he confessed, “I think you’d make an excellent wife.”

She stumbled, and nearly dropped the water. A cage of butterflies was instantly released inside her stomach, and as they fought to escape the confines of her being, she somehow managed to tilt her head up to look at him.

“Kohaku…I…” she started, unsure of what to say.

“I need someone strong…” he continued, as though she hadn’t said anything at all. “Someone whom I can teach the ways of the Taijiya, so that we, together, can then teach those ways to our children.”

She blinked.

“I will build you a big house…” he promised, then turning to meet her eyes, he finished with “…though you already live in my heart.”

She surprised him when she dropped her water buckets, half of the contents splashing out and onto the ground by the sheer force of gravity, as she rushed forward, embracing him in a tackle so fierce that they both toppled to the ground. Kohaku couldn’t help but to laugh, as he wrapped his arms tightly around the sobbing girl, moving a few stray locks of hair behind her ear in order to whisper…

“Am I to assume that you have been awaiting my proposal?”

Unable to form words, she merely nodded against him.

“You could have said something, you know.” he commented, while sitting himself up, repositioning her so that she sat in his lap.

“That would not have been proper.” Kaori mumbled, pouting childishly when he laughed out right.

“I’m friends with Inuyasha, remember?” he kidded, “I’m hardly one to care about propriety, and besides…” He hooked her chin with a finger in order to meet her eyes, “I’m used to being bossed around by women… Have you met my older sister?” he chuckled.

She knew he was just kidding, but with a frown, she quietly said “I don’t want to boss you around.”

“Nor I you.” he answered without hesitation, an unusual point of view for most men of the time period, “And besides…” he chuckled again, “I hate tea.”

***End Flashback***

Handing his fiancée the empty gourd, Kohaku thanked her once more, before stating he had one more small section of roof to fix before dark. She let him get back to work on the contingency that he promise to stay for dinner before returning to his sister’s hut, and laughing, he readily nodded his comply.

Though Kohaku planned on building her a newer, bigger home, the old two-room hut certainly could not go without repairs in the meantime. Those holes in the roof needed to be fixed before next rain, or they would be facing some serious trouble. He knew that Inuyasha could probably fix the holes a lot faster than himself, but he used the opportunity to prove himself a fit suitor to Kaori’s mother. It hadn’t taken much to convince the woman, though. She was a lot like Kagome’s own mother, the miko had said once, in that she wanted only what was best for her child, while at the same time fully believing that said child was perfectly capable of knowing what that was, all on her own. While most men found whom they felt would make suitable husbands for their daughters, Kaori was actually fortunate in that one aspect, that she did not have a father. Kaori’s mother had asked her one simple question, and one question only…

“Do you want him?”

She hadn’t meant it in a sexual manner, though Kaori would be lying if she said her mind hadn’t tormented her with certain thoughts from time to time, but more generally speaking…Did she want him? Want this? Want that person for her life partner? Want that life? If she said no, her mother would tell the young man as much, and that would be the end of it. They had done fine without a man so far, and if either of them ever needed to accept a proposal in order to get by, Kumiko knew it would be herself. She would never sacrifice her daughter in such a way. On the other hand, if love had found her child, then she could not help but to want to seize it with both hands, and never let go. Kumiko had been fortunate enough to love the man that she had married, which was why she was so reluctant to find herself a new husband now that he had passed. It still felt like a betrayal, to her.

Kaori had answered her mother’s simple question with an even simpler answer. “Yes.” she had stated, quite assertively, and quite without hesitation.

After speaking of their future plans, Kohaku had insisted that Kaori’s mother remain with them, as he did not feel it was right for a woman such as herself to remain alone. Kaori couldn’t protest. She knew all too well her mother’s strengths, as well as her weaknesses, hence her years of strenuous labor in the first place. Kaori was pretty sure she could survive on her own, but her mother? She had actually been a little worried, but reluctant to bring it up, since her mother had already assured her that she would be fine, with Inuyasha’s promised assistance, and insisted that she not waist time worrying over her. But Kohaku had merely said that he would hear none of that, when the woman tried to brush off his insistent invitation, claiming that he knew quite well that in her heart, she didn’t want to take another husband, and that he would be damned if she were ever forced to as a result of him so selfishly taking her only daughter away from her. As caretaker of the village, Inuyasha promised her firewood, food and water, and clothing if she needed it, but…what about family? What about companionship around the fire pit at night?

Kumiko had eventually relented, her own tears of joy managing to hold themselves back just behind the surface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A/N:

Kum iko and Kaori are both fairly common names. Kumiko means Eternal Beautiful Child, and Kaori means Fragrance.

As for Saito, I merely chose one of the top ten most common Japanese surnames, and am unsure what it means. They are of no relation to the Saito clan, which in real life ruled much of Japan during the Sengoku period.