InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Growing Pains ( Chapter 80 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================





Chapter 80 - Growing Pains



Miroku couldn’t be happier. Not only did he have a beautiful wife, but he had a beautiful fertile wife. She was already starting to show the results of their second conception, the little brother or sister for Emi expected to arrive in less than half a year.

He still remembered how relieved he had been when she’d first told him of her pregnancy.

Considering what had happened immediately after she’d found out, with Rin and Shippo’s close call in the woods, her condition had honestly slipped her mind for the time being, having been too worried sick to worry about being sick, if that made sense.

Miroku hadn’t brought it up at first himself, either, when he took note of her seemingly improving condition, as she fretted over how Kagome must be fretting over her son. That evening, as they entertained Kaori, who had been scheduled to join them for dinner, they found the topic of discussion working its way to the children, and how she didn’t know if she would ever be able to permit little Emi from leaving their sight, and what if something ever happened to her…and so on and so forth. Kohaku’s two-cents on the subject was to remind his older sister that Kirara would be remaining with her when he moved out, and that their faithful youkai companion would never let anything befall any of her children. Said nekomata mewed her agreement with that statement, earning an appreciative smile from her mistress. The evening progressed from their, the conversation changing from worry over future dangers to happier news, such as future housing arrangements, and giggling at the way she could so easily make her little brother blush, Sango was thoroughly lost in her own little world.

It wasn’t until dinner suddenly decided to pay her a second visit some thirty minutes later, that she was rather vividly reminded of her current condition…a condition she guiltily realized her husband was still unaware of, as Miroku rushed to her side, asking her if she needed to lay down, and if he should fetch Kaede.

“I’m fine.” Sango had said, smiling at his disbelieving frown. “I’m sorry…” she added next, actually giggling with raising excitement as she rolled her news around and around in her head, “I didn’t mean to worry you.”

“Something is wrong with you.” Miroku stated matter-of-factly.

“Something is right…” she countered, “Oh so very right.”

Her huge smile was contagious, he found, as he was unable to cease a small level of joy from seeping into his being, as well. If Sango was that mirthful, then surely everything was okay, right?

She immediately went on to say how her earlier talk with Kaede and Kagome had gone, and what she’d sought out Inuyasha in regard to, just before he’d rushed off to save the children. A brief flash of relief washed over her as she once again relived those terrifying moments. It was only a couple of minutes, the time between when he’d rushed off, and when he’d reappeared, cradling Shippo’s unconscious form, while Rin clung desperately to his back. Sango had learned long ago how quickly one’s life could change…or end…as the case may be, but still…she had for some reason never imagined that such danger would ever befall their children, believing them safe. But what a foolish thing to believe, she snorted to herself. Just because Naraku was dead, didn’t mean the whole world was suddenly a happy ball of raindrops and butterflies. She wasn’t so naïve.

Neither was Miroku, knowing all too well the dangers of the world they lived in, himself. He knew that it was risky for a woman to bear children in their time, and that on many occasions, it led to the young mother’s untimely demise. He was suddenly reminded, ever so bitterly, of the fate that had befallen his own mother, whom he’d never had the pleasure of meeting. Yet, Sango was strong, and had already bore him a strong daughter, and he had faith in her ability to continue to bear him strong children for many years to come. Sometimes, you simply had to have faith…otherwise the worries of the world would surely be enough to drive any man to the brink of insanity.

````````````````````````````````````

Shippo sat quietly, resting near the base of Goshinboku, its thick canopy of leaves offering a slight reprieve against the summer heat. How times flies. It was hard to fathom at times, his parents sometimes seeming immune to the passage of time, yet there he was, another year older. It was only a few yards away from where he currently sat, that he’d lied upon his back last summer, gazing up at the stars by his mother’s side.

Time had certainly not passed him by unnoticed, not that year, as there were many distinguishable changes Shippo noted in himself from that night, vs. today. He was taller now, for one thing, that growth spurt he’d experienced the night Rin held him having apparently paved way for his youki to decide it was time for his body to become a lot bigger. Whereas before, he’d barely come up to past his parents’ thighs, and he was still small enough to occasionally ride upon their shoulders, now, he stood passed their stomachs. Granted, that was still short, but for him, that was a tremendous leap.

He’d had no explanation to offer Rin upon her curiosity, though Inuyasha had had a theory. The hanyou had proceeded to explain to the human girl how he’d slowly gotten stronger and stronger, even before Midoriko’s assistance, and actually ended up breaching a subject that Rin had secretly been wondering about, when he explained how it was possible that Kazuki was a true hanyou, himself, rather than merely one-quarter youkai. Without going into too many details that would have embarrassed the young woman, Inuyasha explained that before the incident with the jewel, whenever his instincts felt it was needed of him, he was able to harness his youkai side, triggering the transformation that originally only happened against his will, and during battle. He gave full credit of his growing control to Kagome, everyone having known for the longest time that he always fought better whenever she was near, and that once he had fallen for her, he was a total wreck whenever she was gone. While Inuyasha had admitted that he didn’t really know a lot of details when it came to the nature of kitsune, specifically, he had gone on to say that it was a fundamental truth of all canine youkai, to exude superior strength when they had “someone to protect.”

Inuyasha hadn’t wanted to embarrass them too horribly with the topic of “mates”, but he had gone on to say that due to the incident with the bear youkai, and Shippo’s exertion, that his inner being must have decided to release a greater amount of power into himself. The truth was that Shippo’s youki did feel stronger than it had before, and the kit himself even admitted to feeling more energetic, as if he now possessed greater strength. Rin was quick to accept that explanation, having grown accustomed to the fact that youkai, generally speaking, were magical beings, and did not necessarily follow the rules of mortality that humans were forced to abide by.

It certainly was true, Shippo had to admit, that one’s youki did in deed flare when feeling the need to protect those closest to you. Thinking back on it now, the kitsune could not help but to grin, especially when he recalled the “conversation” he’d had with his uncle a mere two weeks after Rin had returned home, and what had transpired as a result.



***FLASHBACK***



It was a fairly cool spring morning. Kohaku was once again over at Kaori’s hut, diligently working on reinforcing a few floorboards, while Sango, with keeping to her newly set schedule, was busily vacating her stomach of its previous contents.

The “incident” had happened about two and a half weeks ago, and after sticking around another couple of days to be sure that her friend was truly all right, Rin was finally convinced that she’d better return home. When Kirara had returned after delivering the girl to the West, she had bore no correspondence from the Taiyoukai, though she had been instructed to remain until officially dismissed after dropping Rin off, just in case Sesshoumaru had had a note he’d wished for the neko to carry upon her return. Upon seeing that there was none, Inuyasha had briefly speculated that, perhaps, his former “bastard of a brother” was actually willing to let the incident go. That theory was disproved, however, when on that rather chilly spring morning, the air suddenly grew even colder with the feel of heavy, powerful youki. Sesshoumaru was coming.

Some of the villagers screamed and ran, until they recognized the youkai Lord, and realized no harm would befall them. Miroku had emerged, staff in hand, until he too realized precisely who was gracing them with his presence. Inuyasha and Kagome had both sensed his approach even before the feel of his aura reached them, thanks to the special bond they would forever have with their alpha, and while Kagome was currently preoccupied with trying to convince Kazuki that it was in fact an excellent time for a bath, Inuyasha reluctantly stepped outside, rather slowly, mentally preparing himself for the verbal (and possibly physical) assault he was about to receive.

“My business here is not with you, brother.” Sesshoumaru spoke upon arrival, startling his younger sibling. “I will speak with the kitsune.”

Shit…he’s angry with Shippo?

“You don’t need to go tearing into him, he’s just a pup.” the hanyou defended his son, placing his hand upon the hilt of his sword, though the weapon remained sheathed for the moment.

“I’m the one who’s supposed to make sure everyone’s safe ‘round here, and I-”

“And you fulfilled your duty to the best of your ability, given the situation at hand.” the Inu-Lord answered, interrupting his half-brother’s self-incriminating speech.

“It was my responsibility to protect them, and I-”

“Set parameters which they ignored, directly disobeying your orders.”

“Damn it! Quit interrupting me!” he snapped, “We both know I screwed up, and I-”

“Inuyasha…” Sesshoumaru interrupted once more, the patience in his voice wavering ever so slightly, “Do not be foolish enough to believe I hold no disdain towards your delayed intervention regarding this…incident…however, the fact remains that no permanent damage was incurred. Another fact is that the blame here does not rest fully upon your shoulders, alone.” His eyes softened ever so slightly, only so that someone who knew him would recognize the difference. “I will speak with the kitsune.” he repeated.

Sighing, Inuyasha rubbed the open palm of his right hand down across his face. “He’s just a pup…” he muttered, but upon seeing his brother’s eyes harden once more, he reluctantly nodded consent, submitting to the wishes of his alpha. To fight him on this would risk displacing their entire alliance, and he knew it wasn’t as if he would truly hurt the kit. Still, he couldn’t help feeling sorry for the runt, knowing…personally…how his older brother held no sympathy for youth.

“I’ll go get Shippo.” the hanyou spoke after a moment of silence.

“That won’t be necessary.” suddenly came a tiny voice from off to the side.

Sesshoumaru successfully masked his surprise at having failed to previously detect the kit’s youki signature, which now, as he felt it, appeared much stronger than what he recalled from their last encounter. Was the kitsune actually able to successfully conceal his presence from even someone as powerful as himself? There seemed no other explanation, as suddenly, there he was, standing much taller beside his father than Sesshoumaru remembered, too.

“How long have you been there?” Inuyasha calmly asked the pup, as though having failed to sense him was not at all an obscure occurrence that warranted explanation.

“Since he first arrived, and you tried to take my beating.” Shippo answered, head bowed.

“You ain’t gonna get beaten.”

“Do not presume to speak for me.”

Inuyasha’s ears lowered as he cringed, feeling the harshness in his brother’s statement. He tried to think of something else to say to assure the kit, to at least promise him that he wouldn’t be hurt…too badly…but before he could even open his mouth again, Shippo spoke up once more.

“It’s okay.” was all he said, and with that, he turned away from his father, and headed towards the stoic youkai Lord, following him into the surrounding woods.

Inuyasha wanted to follow, to at least stay within hearing distance, but he knew that his presence would be seen as dishonoring his son. Shippo had to “take it like a man” as the saying went. Knowing Sesshoumaru would never seriously injure the boy, he merely cringed once more, and reluctantly turned back towards the house.

Shippo, meanwhile, was sweating bullets, though he tried not to let it show. He honestly didn’t care about how much physical pain he was about to endure; he could take it. What he couldn’t take would be Sesshoumaru demanding that he leave Rin alone. That was his greatest fear, and he knew Inuyasha knew that. He was pretty sure that Sesshoumaru knew it as well, which was why, despite his fear, he held his head high. There was no point in begging or pleading; issuing promises while on bended knee. Sesshoumaru undoubtedly already had his mind made up regarding his course of action prior to coming out there, and there was nothing, Shippo knew, that he could do to change the Taiyoukai’s mind. If he said he was forbidden from ever seeing Rin again...he honestly didn’t know what his reaction was going to be. He would much rather the Taiyoukai merely wanted to beat the snot out of him. That he could deal with, but taking Rin away? Would he stand for that? Was it even like he had a choice in the matter? Shippo knew Sesshoumaru was their alpha, but that didn’t mean he was content to be seen as the omega. He knew that there were times when you needed to submit, but Inuyasha had taught him that there were also times when you needed to stand up for yourself, no matter what. Sesshoumaru wanted the kit to show strength, did he not? Shippo had promised his uncle that he would become stronger, to make himself worthy, but if his momentary lapse in judgment now doomed him to failure in that regard, he knew that no amount of groveling would make him look any stronger, and appearing even weaker was the last thing he wanted to do. No, he would not beg. But he wouldn’t obediently submit to never seeing Rin again, either…

“You ventured beyond the borders specified by your guardian.” spoke the Taiyoukai, suddenly piercing through the eerie silence that had grown between them, as he got right to the point.

“Yes, sir.” was Shippo’s humbled response.

“I will ask why.”

Shippo looked up, confused and horrified. What kind of question was that? Who asked their children why they disregarded an order, and honestly expected an answer beyond the classic “I don’t know”?

Gulping, he knew feigning ignorance would never cut it.

“We were…” He paused, suddenly finding himself blushing at the memory, then quickly becoming intimidated by the way Sesshoumaru quirked an eyebrow at his blush, he gulped once more. “We were running…that is to say…I had transformed myself into a horse, while she rode upon my back.”

He looked down, suddenly very interested in a blade of grass. He couldn’t believe just said that! And to the girl’s father!

Sesshoumaru’s expression remained impassive, save for the brief raising of his brow at the kit’s sudden spike in embarrassment. It was faint, but accompanied by the feeling of general discomfort, there was something more…mature…with the way the kit’s scent had spiked just then. He waited patiently for the youngster to continue.

“We were having fun. She had not asked me to stop, nor did I wish to, so as we went further into the woods…I…” Shippo paused again, trying to find the right words, yet knowing he failed miserably, as he reluctantly confessed “I had thought I could protect her. I had not sensed any danger, at first, and had thought that everything would be fine.”

Honestly, Shippo just felt like shouting “I fucked up, okay?!” but somehow, he knew he needed to be a tad more diplomatic than that.

“You do not claim ignorance to the distance you traveled, distracted by your mirth?” the Inu no Taisho asked, trying once again - and succeeding, of course - to conceal his surprise regarding the kit’s odd behavior. Odd for a kitsune, anyway. They were not renowned for being truthful creatures.

“No, sir.” said fox-youkai nearly whispered, “I knew how far away we had traveled.”

“And you foolhardily believed you could provide Rin adequate protection.”

It was more a statement than a question, and seemingly knowing that, Shippo chose not to respond, but to lower his head once more in shame. While it was indeed Sesshoumaru’s intention to drive home the severity of what had nearly transpired, he was also secretly curious about what was currently happening within the kitsune, and decidedly felt a small test was in order.

Outwardly, the kit appeared reasonably subdued, yet Sesshoumaru could detect something within him, resting just under the surface. He was terrified, though not of Lord Sesshoumaru himself. The Taiyoukai guessed that what the kit feared was the possible outcome of their current discussion, which was easy to ascertain based upon the way the kit’s youki flared at the mention of Rin’s name. He could tell with the way the kit’s muscles unconsciously flinched with each movement he made, that the pup was imminently expecting a physical repercussion to his ignorance. Yet, at the same time, Sesshoumaru got the distinct impression that that was also what the kitsune was actually hoping for. If he could read minds, which he could not, the Taiyoukai would not be surprised to find the kit’s thoughts along the lines of “get on with it already” in regard to his presumed beating. But while Sesshoumaru could not literally hear conscious thoughts, he was an excellent judge at perceiving emotion, and was often able to accurately deduce what whomever in his company had been thinking, as a result.

Right now, Shippo was consciously trying to remain on his best behavior, but he was wound tighter than that wooden top he often carried. Say the right thing, and he would go off, just like his father.

“So in your arrogance…” Sesshoumaru continued after a moment, “You knowingly endangered Rin’s life.”

“What?!” Shippo gasped, “Never! I would never-”

“You admit to prior knowledge regarding the set barriers which you then willingly breached, showing clear disregard for her safety.” he spoke, his voice suddenly louder, yet amazingly even. Kagome would muse that he sounded like a lawyer interrogating a defendant during a criminal trial.

“I didn’t disregard anything!” he shouted in his own defense, “That stupid bear came out of nowhere!” he bellowed, only realizing how foolish such a statement sounded after the words had already left his lips.

Inwardly, Sesshoumaru smirked. Perhaps years of dealing with his half-human brother had finally gotten to him, but Sesshoumaru found that he actually preferred a verbal opponent who openly barbed back.

Rather than say or do something that would cause the kit to backpedal away from his newfound bravado, Sesshoumaru responded in kind, actually snorting, before he stated

“As most lower youkai tend to do, if you, and that appearing act of yours, was any indication.”

Shippo bristled, insulted at being referred to as a “lower” youkai, before he suddenly smirked to himself, grinning wider at Sesshoumaru’s clear (though brief) look of confusion.

“You mean to say…” he started, desperately trying to contain his laughter, “…that you failed to detect my presence, before I ‘appeared’?”

Sesshoumaru paused. He had not meant to confess that bit of information. Once again, he admitted, he found himself subconsciously influenced from years of dealing with his simpleton brother. Inuyasha would never have caught such a minor slip of the tongue. That went a great distance, Sesshoumaru suddenly decided, as far as assessing the kit’s true intelligence. Granted, the incident with the bear-youkai represented a terrible lack in judgment, one very nearly fatal, yet, he had to admit, the fox was not stupid. He decided to roll with it, as they say.

“Mastering powers of invisibility only aid those willing to hide from their opponents.” he stated, neither confirming nor denying the kitsune’s accusation.

Puffing his chest, Shippo snapped back “I don’t hide!”

Sesshoumaru raised a disbelieving eyebrow.

“I don’t!” the kit nearly whined, then quieted down when he realized it made him sound too much like a child. “Otousan’s been teaching me how to fight, and-”

He cut himself off, too busy dodging a glowing whip of youki to worry about completing his sentence. Not that Sesshoumaru would ever have permitted his whip to actually strike the boy, but preparing to retract the weapon had proven unnecessary when Shippo suddenly popped out of the way much quicker than Sesshoumaru had anticipated.

“Hey!”

“At least he has sufficiently taught you how to duck.”

“What if you would have really hit me?!” Shippo bellowed, aghast.

The Taiyoukai shrugged indifferently. “Do you believe this Sesshoumaru in so little control over his own abilities, that he would make such a novice mistake?”

“Well don’t think Otou’s not gonna here about-…Hey!” He dodged again, just barely, as Sesshoumaru’s whip had shown no signs of stopping.

“Bastard!” the kit shouted at a volume that would have made his father proud, right before he turned to his “uncle” and launched his spinning top.

The toy was dismissed effortlessly, causing a rather fierce growl to escape the kitsune’s lips. That had been his favorite!

Sesshoumaru suddenly found acorn after acorn being projected in his direction, all of which were easily deflected with a mere swipe of his clawed hand, though he was inwardly impressed with the effort the kit was making. It was beyond apparent that the kitsune posed no real threat to the Taiyoukai, and so therefore, his actions couldn’t truthfully be taken to heart as representing a genuine challenge. Rather, in true pack fashion, the kit was demonstrating his strength to his leader, in an attempt to dispel beliefs that he was a weakling. A sparring match, if you will.

“You will have to do better than that.” Sesshoumaru said with a bored tone, as he gathered all of the fallen acorns with a single swoop of his whip, quickly depositing them all in the kitsune’s direction. Shippo popped himself into his statue form while the acorns rained down around him.

“Such pitiful weapons.” the Inu Lord taunted, “How do you ever expect to protect Rin, when you cannot even defend yourself?”

“Shut up!” Shippo cried, popping himself into his multiples without even bellowing the command for it, something that Sesshoumaru was unaware kitsune could even do. Rather suddenly, he found that even he could not deflect every single acorn, and a few (only a few) successfully managed to strike his person. Still…

“Perhaps if I were allergic to vegetation, I would be threatened by such a pathetic excuse for an attack.”

He nearly laughed out loud when he saw Shippo’s face redden in anger, before the kit popped himself into a perfect replica of…himself.

That was slightly less amusing.

“Perhaps if you removed your head from your ass…” the kitsune said, in a perfect facsimile to the Taiyoukai’s own voice, “…then you would no longer have shit for brains.”

A kitsune’s tactic revolves around aggravating their enemy to the point of distraction. He reminded himself.

“Impressive.” he stated, slowly drawing Toukijin, “But just how accurate is your illusion?” he asked skeptically, while permitting the energies of his sword to gather.

Shippo *eeped* and popped himself back into his true form. Sesshoumaru, while he would never fire off a blast as powerful as Dragon Strike towards the youngster, did feel it was necessary to remind the child of his place, as he released the weakest possible attack his sword was capable of. If the kit failed to dodge the blast, a direct blow may break a bone or two, but would not be fatal, to a youkai.

But rather than simply leaping out of the way, as had been Sesshoumaru’s presumption, Shippo met the blast head-on, countering it with one of his own.

“Fox Fire!” he shouted, the stream of blazing youki projected from his outstretched hands successfully holding the weakened energies of Toukijin at bay.

While it was true that Sesshoumaru had subdued his weapon to the point where the blast emitted was practically nonexistent, by his standards, it was also true that the blast in question was still powerful enough to instantly pulverize a human being. Considering that kitsune, generally speaking, were simply weaker youkai, physically incapable of reaching Taiyoukai standards, and considering that this kitsune was still merely a pup… Shaking his head, Sesshoumaru thought to address him once more.

“You show impressive strength for one ordinarily so weak.” he half-complimented, before adding “Pray tell…precisely how long can you maintain such a feat?”

“Fuck you…” Shippo hissed out, already feeling the strain, along with an uncanny sense of déjà vu.

The blast from Sesshoumaru’s sword did not dissipate as he had thought it would, and remained ever steadily fighting against his blue flame.

“Such language.” Sesshoumaru tsk’d, “I do not think Rin would approve.”

“Rin…” Shippo whispered, becoming lost in a flashback of when he’d been fighting that bear. Only this time, something was different, his conscious had a voice.

“You cannot protect her.” his conscious told him, in a voice that sounded an awful lot like Sesshoumaru.

“Rin…I…”

All Shippo could see was the swirling energies of his blue flame battling against the pure white power of the blast that would surely destroy him were his flames to falter. Rolling beads of sweat plastered his bangs to his forehead, and stung his eyes.

“You failed.” Sesshoumaru spoke, approaching the kitsune, taking note that the pup seemed to be consciously unaware of his presence.

“No…”

“Yes,” he countered, “Were it not for Inuyasha coming to the rescue, Rin would be dead.”

“I will protect Rin.” he managed to rasp out, even as his weakening arm muscles permitted Toukijin’s blast to ever-so-slowly encroach upon him.

One reason why Sesshoumaru had gotten so close, so that he could pull the pup to safety once his youki finally ran out.

“You would put Rin’s well-being before your own?” he asked, knowing the question need not be voiced, but wishing to encourage the kitsune to speak more on his thoughts.

“I will protect Rin with my life.”

“You would die to save her?”

“Yes.”

“Were she in danger in your watch, would you willingly give her up, for her own safety?”

There was a genuine question. Was the kitsune’s strongest feeling towards Rin a selfish desire for her presence, or a selfless desire for her well-being?

Shippo paused, and for a moment, seemed to come back out of himself, even as he remained steadily concentrating on deflecting Sesshoumaru’s blast. To him, it felt like being in a room where the walls were slowly closing in, and he was pressing out against the walls with his arms and legs, in an attempt to delay being crushed.

“So long as Rin is safe.” he finally uttered, nearly a whisper, and Sesshoumaru could instantly detect the increasing scents of despair and loneliness that had enveloped him at that moment.

So lost was he in himself once more, that Sesshoumaru worried the kitsune may falter, and severely injure himself as a result, perhaps no longer caring for his own well-being, if he now believed that he had lost Rin forever.

“Rin is under your protection.” Sesshoumaru stated quickly, instantly picking up the increasing scents of relief and determination.

To his amazement, he actually detected the churning blast from Toukijin being pushed back, ever so slightly, so deciding to test a theory, he stooped lower than he had gone in over five years, when he tricked his brother into believing his mother was still alive.

Sesshoumaru was not without mild illusionary magic of his own, though it was a power he normally opted never to use. It was nowhere near as sophisticated as the talents of youkai who possessed magic as a natural born ability. His glamours were truly that, projections of the mind, and they took so much energy to create, and fooled so few, that it was an ability that he sooner forget he possessed. However, for the moment…

“Rin is behind you.” he stated, “You must protect her now.”

Shippo could barely turn his head, but when he did, he thought he caught, out of the corner of his eye, the terrified expression of his dear Rin, just as she’d appeared when they’d been battling that bear youkai.

“Rin is in danger.” his conscious told him, which still sounded remarkably like Sesshoumaru.

“No!” he shouted.

Sesshoumaru blinked in surprise.

The blast of Fox Fire instantly increased.

The blast from Toukijin was absorbed.

The combined youki force exploded.

Both kitsune and inu were thrown back several yards.

Sesshoumaru recovered after mere seconds, dusting himself off, before approaching the unconscious form of his half-brother’s adopted whelp. He was not overly concerned, because even from that distance, he could scent that the kitsune was not gravely injured, and his youki would rejuvenate within the day. However, as he approached, the Taiyoukai was surprised to find that he still detected the lingering scent of emotion. Usually, emotional scents were so faint that they faded the very instant the feeling itself did, leaving no aftertaste in their wake. But, the unconscious kitsune literally reeked of satisfaction, as if, even in sleep, he knew he had successfully protected his charge.

As Sesshoumaru closed the gap between them and lowered to one knee, he took in the kit’s appearance, second-guessing his memories of previous height, when, from his horizontal position, he was certain the kit appeared slightly taller than he had previously been. Perhaps three or four inches at the most, but a distinguishable difference, nonetheless.

It wasn’t until he scooped the slumbering fox-child up into his arm, to carry him back home, that Sesshoumaru was unable to restrain a most uncharacteristic, yet most warranted, gasp of surprise.

Shippo had two tails.