InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Sword of Healing ( Chapter 85 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================







Chapter 85 - Sword of Healing






He didn’t know whom he’d been fooling, when he’d honestly thought that he could get any sleep on such a night. Besides the fact that maintaining Miroku’s physical appearance took some level of concentration, Shippo still could not help but to hear most of the goings on inside the elder miko’s hut. Miroku’s hut was a lot closer to Kaede’s than his parents’ after all, so even though everyone was being quieter, with as silent as the rest of the village was he could still hear almost everything being said, loud and clear.

It had been at least an hour since his father had come to retrieve Miroku. Probably longer, Shippo guessed, since Kohaku himself had also been gone for at least twenty minutes now. He didn’t have anything that he knew his mother called a “clock” but if he had wanted, he could have stepped outside to gauge the position of the stars, to tell how much time had truly passed. But even though he was wide awake, Shippo still chose to remain where he laid, mostly because of the human toddler that rested not a foot away in the same futon. He had to be there for her should she wake up. On his other side rested his younger brother, Emi’s senior by only a few months, though their physical age difference was much greater due to Kazuki’s more rapid development.

A sudden feeling of unease arose in the pit of his stomach, as every hair on the back of his neck stood on end. A very powerful youki was encroaching upon their village, fast. Little Kazuki whimpered awake after a moment, assuring Shippo that the hanyou pup had sensed it, as well. Concentrating, the kitsune relaxed again when he quickly realized who it was that was paying them a visit, though he admittedly questioned the reasoning behind it in his mind. They hadn’t sent for him, had they? There’s no way they could have. Not enough time had passed had they sent Myouga, and he knew for a fact that Kirara hadn’t left the village, since along with worried curses and prayers, he also heard the occasional mew from inside Kaede’s hut.

A piercing cry suddenly drew his attention back to the futon, as Emi bellowed, wide-awake once more. Would the kami truly not permit the child to rest on that night? But what had disturbed her that time? Shippo knew had scented no fear from her sleeping form, indicating that her dreams had not been troubling her, but now, the frantic child suddenly reeked of the emotion. Kazuki crawled to her side and woofed softly in inu that everything was all right, and even though Shippo knew that Emi did not understand inu, per se, she did seem to relax a little upon Kazuki’s attentions. Scooping Sango and Miroku’s daughter up, under the pretense of being ‘dad’, Shippo stepped outside to greet his uncle. The way Emi clung to him even tighter upon catching a glimpse of the descending youkai made Shippo wonder, had the child actually sensed his approaching youki? He hadn’t thought a human so young could exhibit such spiritual powers…but then again, she had seen a vision of what was currently happening to her mother, hadn’t she?

As Shippo hadn’t bothered even attempting to mask his sent or aura, not to mention the fact that two bushy tails were protruding from his backside at an angle Emi couldn’t see, Sesshoumaru knew without a doubt who actually greeted him in the clearing, and the reason for the kitsune’s guise was also apparent when the Taiyoukai took note of said human girl currently cradled in the boy’s arms.

“What has happened?” Sesshoumaru asked without addressing the kitsune by name, so as not to further upset the toddler by shattering her illusion.

“Sango.” was all Shippo replied, in a perfect copy of the monk’s voice. He didn’t wish to give too many details while Emi was awake, and listening to every word.

“Mama hurt…” the girl in question suddenly elaborated of her own accord, and Shippo responded by tightening his grip around the child, as she clung to him desperately in return.

Sesshoumaru knew of whom they spoke. The female Taijiya who had previously traveled along side his half-brother throughout their quest. She had been another who sought vengeance against Naraku. She was mated to the monk the kitsune was currently mimicking, and the human whelp Shippo was cradling he knew to be their daughter. Sesshoumaru clearly recalled how the Taijiya had been with child when she and her mate had been summoned by his own, to assist Kagome with tending Inuyasha’s injuries after the battle with Daikomaru. He had later been in her company again when he’d ventured to Inuyasha’s village after the birth of his son. Yes, Sesshoumaru knew of whom they spoke. She was a pack-sister, and whatever had happened to her was obviously quite serious. Shippo must have assumed the monk’s appearance so that the man himself could remain by his mate’s side, without the need to expose their fragile pup to whatever details were involved regarding her mother’s condition. He could easily sense the toddler’s tumult, and ascertained that she must have been inconsolable to anyone other than her ‘father’.

Sesshoumaru needn’t ask in which direction Sango was located, his nose instantly pointing the way. Without so much as a second glance in their direction, the Taiyoukai turned, and swiftly headed away.

Shippo was left gaping after him in his wake, a slow smile daring to form on the kitsune’s copy of the monk’s lips. Everything would be all right now.

Sesshoumaru quickly approached the old, run down hut, that he knew by scent contained Sango, as well as his half-brother and his half-brother’s mate. He knew that particular hut. He recalled it to be the dwelling of the elder miko of the village. He had been there before, and he knew that this was where Kagome had given birth. Suddenly, that realization, along with the simple fact that he had detected no demonic auras, scents, or other evidence that the village itself had come under attack, led him to believe he may know, to a point, what was wrong with the slayer. Scenting the air once again confirmed his suspicions, as he now detected the lingering odor of birthing fluids, along with much more blood than should be present during such an occasion, as well as the slowly encroaching scent of death. Yes, he now knew what tragedy had befallen his brother’s pack-sister. The slayer had whelped another pup, and something had gone seriously wrong.

```````````````````````````````````

Shortly after his friends had informed him of Sesshoumaru’s approach, Miroku began to feel the pull of the Taiyoukai’s aura himself. Not wanting to appear weak in the youkai Lord’s eyes, especially considering that he knew Sesshoumaru still thought of humans as somewhat weak to begin with, Miroku tried his best to wipe his tears and straighten his posture. Upon witnessing Kohaku break down, it hadn’t taken much for the monk to follow the lad’s example, but while he permitted his wife’s brother to continue his tears, Miroku felt it his duty to greet their approaching visitor with stoic resolve.

His struggle for composure was short-lived, though, stilled by his hanyou companion when Inuyasha made the understanding comment “You’re losing your mate. There ain’t no dishonor in being all fucked up over that shit.”

Ever tactful, Inuyasha still got the point across, as Miroku nodded his silent understanding and thanks, as a few more silent tears slipped down his cheeks after his failed attempt at keeping them contained.

It was only moments later that the reed mat was hastily pushed aside, as a rather agitated youkai Lord swiftly barged into the tiny hut. The various scents that permeated the air instantly assaulted his nose tenfold, and the first thought to process within Sesshoumaru’s mind was to wonder how his brother could stomach such odors. It wasn’t the scent of blood that bothered him, nor the general overwhelming scent of “human,” as he had become accustomed to that smell over the years. No, what truly irritated his senses was the unmistakable reek of infection, and encroaching death.

“Sesshoumaru.” his brother greeted with a solemn nod, tilting his head to then indicate Sango’s direction.

Sesshoumaru acknowledged the greeting and gesture with the tiniest of nods in return, before closing the distance between himself and the small gathering of humans around their fallen pack-mate. Taking note of all who were present, he could not help but to instantly recognize he whom he’d permitted the final deathblow to Naraku. Yes, he recalled now, that human boy he had previously resurrected was in fact this woman’s sibling, though he was unsure why such a detail had previously slipped his mind. It must have been that, at the time, he was far more preoccupied with having only just learned of his half-brother’s mating. But now that his thoughts were unhindered, Sesshoumaru recalled the brief family reunion in perfect clarity. He recalled the way Sango’s teary eyes had shown no fear while meeting his gaze. Never before had anyone’s eyes ever possessed such gratitude while meeting his own. Looking past - Kohaku, was his name - Sesshoumaru glanced directly upon Sango’s form. She was still clinging to life, however effortlessly. What he did not understand, was how the woman had come to possess such physical injuries in the first place. He had been under the presumption that her tragedy had struck during child birth, and the lingering odors of birthing would actually seem to confirm that theory, yet that would not explain the wounds she now possessed.

Scenting the air once more, he managed to filter through the familiar scents of all those he had encountered before, to find what he was looking for, a new scent he was unfamiliar with. Turning his head, Sesshoumaru took note of his brother’s mate, where she sat in the corner by the old miko, and there, cradled in her arms, was a human infant. Though it was a procedure he was personally unfamiliar with, it only took a matter of seconds for him to conclude the logical deduction that they had been forced to cut the infant from her body, for whatever reason. That was not a problem ever found in the youkai world.

An aptly timed moan of agony escaped the unconscious female, drawing the attention of both her brother and mate, as they each turned their backs on the Taiyoukai to grab at her hands and touch her forehead. Simultaneously, Sesshoumaru could not help but to notice a sudden increase in the feelings he had been steadily receiving from his half-brother. Turning in Inuyasha’s direction, the Taiyoukai observed as the hanyou’s mate approached him, attempting to offer whatever comfort there was to be found in the apparent success of having at least saved the infant’s life. Inuyasha, for his part, appeared to be listening, but the pained moans of his pack-sister nonetheless caused him to desperately clutch their father’s fang, in a frantic attempt at keeping mental control. Inuyasha literally reeked of the emotion Sesshoumaru knew all too well as guilt. Something suddenly caught his eye then, as he noticed the way Inuyasha clung to Tetsusaiga for dear life.

Aw, yes… The scabbard. That made perfect sense. One less mystery to solve, Sesshoumaru nodded, though he had been unaware that such a side-effect would be found in the merging of his youki within his brother’s weapon. Perhaps Totosai had taken creative license without his knowledge, but that would be something to discuss at a later date.

In the mean time, Sesshoumaru now knew why he had been more or less “summoned” here, and he didn’t feel that it was necessary to prolong the slayer’s suffering any longer. How funny, he thought to himself, that he could honestly say that he even cared about such a thing. How short a time ago it was, that the sight of a human in such a condition would be cause for him to merely turn his nose against the wind, as he passed the miserable creature by without so much as a second glance. He begrudgingly admitted that it was with his father’s wisdom that he had finally come to see otherwise. After all, had it not been for Inuyasha’s possession of Tetsusaiga, and that near fatal blast he had received courtesy of the Wind Scar, then he never would have found himself suddenly immobilized in the woods, under the impromptu care and guard of a then subdued, eight year old human girl.

What a difference a few years made.

It was also only thanks to his then unwanted inheritance of Tenseiga that he was able to restore Rin to life, otherwise the child’s destiny as the melter of his heart would never have come to be. Though he never saw Rin as a potential mate, as other had speculated in the past, Sesshoumaru would admit now that he had loved Rin as a daughter for some time. It was definitely she who had melted his heart, and introduced him to the notion of love - be it of family, or otherwise. His love for Rin as a daughter was unquestionably what then made way for his ability to come to love Kagura as a mate, and Inuyasha as a brother.

Gazing in the slayer’s direction again, as he placed his hand upon Tenseiga’s hilt, Sesshoumaru could not help but to think once more Father, I now know why you bequeathed me Tenseiga, only this time, he added Thank you.

The majestic fang pulsed under his hand, and all those capable of sensing demonic auras - in other words, everyone in the hut – instantly felt the increase in youki as Sesshoumaru drew his blade. Observing with the second-sight only he possessed while the sword was drawn, Sesshoumaru stared in detest as the servants of the underworld hovered around the slayer’s prone body, awaiting the moment her soul would be released with hungry eyes. So obsessed were they with her pending demise, as they greedily rubbed their palms in dark anticipation, that they failed to notice their nemesis until it was too late.

No one screamed as Sesshoumaru, quite without warning, violently slashed his glimmering blade across Sango’s still form. No one that was, except for the banshees whom he’d promptly banished back into the netherworld from whence they’d come. Instantly, the stench of death vacated the air, as “death” itself had been vanquished.

Inuyasha stared wide-eyed, with an expression meant to state that he hadn’t known his brother could restore Sango to life while she in fact still lived, having believed that it was first necessary to await her death. Sesshoumaru, in turn, offered his brother a glare meant to articulate: You dare doubt the abilities of this Sesshoumaru?

Within moments the scent of infection also showed signs of clearing, and as Kagome knew the other three humans in the hut lacked her demonic sense of smell, she quickly rushed to Sango’s side for visual confirmation. Pulling back the flap of the slayer’s yukata revealed pink tender skin in place of what was once a dark, angry red, and, if Kagome didn’t know any better, she’d even swear the wounds appeared to be healing right before her very eyes. It must be true, she realized, as Miroku, Kohaku, and Kaede all seemed to witness the same phenomenon.

“She will be fully restored.” came a statement that offered no room for argument, not that anyone was about to argue with the Taiyoukai. More like pledge their undying debt to his services.

Miroku, unashamed, moved to stand before the youkai Lord, and then, quite suddenly, dropped to one knee. “I am forever in your debt.” he stated low, almost a whisper, knowing the full-blooded inu could hear him perfectly.

“You are a member of my brother’s pack, and as such, are an extension of my own.”

The look in Miroku’s moist eyes seemed to reveal he did not feel worthy of such a response, so after mulling it around for a moment, Sesshoumaru conceded, and stated “You possess great powers of spirituality, though they do not surpass the miko. However, there may be a time in the future when this Sesshoumaru will be in need of such abilities, and if my brother’s bitch is unavailable, you are to report to the aid of this Sesshoumaru, without question and without delay.”

Miroku merely nodded, accepting the life-long pledge to the West without hesitation, as he then quickly returned to his wife’s side. With everyone overjoyed regarding Sango’s restoration, no one but Kagome noticed an offended Inuyasha follow his brother outside when Sesshoumaru vacated the hut.

“You know damn well that you’d never need Miroku. Not that he ain’t got what it takes, but Kagome would never be ‘unavailable’ for one thing, and two-”

“The monk required it.” he interrupted softly with a raised hand.

“So…” Inuyasha thought aloud, his offense that Sesshoumaru had apparently thought they’d be unavailable instantly gone, “You were just humoring him? To save his sense of honor?”

A minuscule nod was his only confirmation.

“Huh…” the hanyou chuckled, “Never knew you had it in you. To care about a human’s emotions, I mean.”

“There are many things regarding this Sesshoumaru of which you are unaware.”

Laughing out right at that, Inuyasha thought back to how Sesshoumaru literally healed Sango, without her ever having died, and responded the only way he knew how, under the circumstances.

“Indeed.”

```````````````````` `````````````````````

The remainder of the night passed by too slowly for those keeping watch, as Sango’s condition continued to gradually improve, right before their very eyes. She was almost healing as fast as a youkai, Kagome noted, as she observed her sister’s flesh slowly knit itself back together even faster than she herself could heal.

Tenseiga was truly remarkable.

Tenseiga’s wielder was truly remarkable.

She would never forget what Sesshoumaru had done for them on this night. Never. He had left shortly after, seeing no purpose in sticking around. Also, if her nose was working well enough considering all of the interfering odors, Kagome did believe their situation may have ‘interrupted’ something between himself and Kagura. They would undoubtedly be seeing the Taiyoukai again…repeatedly…so Kagome knew she would have ample opportunity to properly express her gratitude at a later date.

Sango’s physical wounds were all completely healed within a matter of hours, consciousness returning to her some time after morning. At first, she greeted those around her with a look of confusion, which quickly morphed into elation at the first glimpse of her son. It was then that Miroku informed her of all that had transpired, having promised her long ago that there would be no secrets held between them. The Taijiya had cried, while holding their new son even closer. There was no argument that Kichiro was indeed a fitting name.

Granted a bill of health from Kaede, Sango felt bad for all the fuss she had caused, and wished to no longer impose upon the elder miko, as she insisted to her husband that she wanted to go home. Miroku agreed, but only under the condition that she would continue to rest in the comfort of their own futon for at least another day or two, until he was convinced that she was truly healed.

Sango agreed to ‘take it easy’ as he had called it, spending most of her time either sitting or laying down, but truth be told, she felt great. Taking a moment to really think about it, Sango suddenly realized that she actually hadn’t felt better in her entire life. It wasn’t so much a physical comfort, though it was true that her previous pains now all ceased to exist, but truthfully, it was more like her soul had been healed. Rejuvenated. Perhaps that was what it had been like for Rin, she mused, knowing the resurrected girl had apparently changed from a subdued mute to an enthusiastic ray of sunshine, practically over night. It must just be something about coming to accept your own death, only to suddenly be granted the right to live once more. Who wouldn’t feel joyous after such a revelation? She felt like shouting “I’m alive!” from the rooftops.

Though, Sango knew that she had never actually died, and, understandably so, she felt comforted by that knowledge. As Miroku had explained it, Sesshoumaru apparently saved her, when she would have died otherwise. She knew she was forever in the Taiyoukai’s debt, but unlike her husband, who seemed to have forgotten that they were all “pack,” Sango knew Sesshoumaru had no intention of ever collecting. Any obligatory promises of service to the West were redundant, she thought, considering that they would have already rushed forth to the aid of Inuyasha’s family, anyway. She knew Sesshoumaru knew that, too.

Still, Sango would forever feel as though she were in his debt, and she would forever be grateful for it. Just as she was grateful for, and indebted to, her best friend and almost-sister, Kagome. Her and Inuyasha. They had saved her son. They had saved her son, and she herself had almost survived the procedure on her own, thanks to their wondrous knowledge. Nobody from her time could have pulled off such a thing, she was sure. She considered her own survival a perk bonus thanks to Sesshoumaru’s impeccable timing, because she knew she would have died were it not for his healing sword, but Sango was okay with that, because besides the fact that she was still alive, regardless of how that came about, what truly mattered to her was that they had saved the life of her son. She wouldn’t be able to stop repeating that phrase to herself for some time.

They saved my son.

She recalled all too well the moment before consciousness had slipped from her, as she deliberately met Kagome’s eyes with her own, begging her to forget about herself, and concentrate solely on her unborn child. All that had mattered was saving Kichiro’s life. She was expendable.

Okay…the kami, or at least, the Inu no Taisho, apparently disagreed with her, and for that, Sango was admittedly grateful. She had been crushed to know that she would never be granted the opportunity to watch her son grow up. Now…

Ah…hell with it.

“I’m alive!” she cried joyously, though granted, a little quieter than she’d have liked, not wishing to alert her husband to the possibility that something was wrong. She glanced down at the slumbering infant that had fallen asleep while suckling her breast. No, nothing was wrong. Everything was oh, so right.