InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ The Skeleton In Miroku's Closet ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I got some complaints about my chapter update notice. I simple email you the name of the story and my name so you can find it easier by using the search. But this was not an official notice. The MM.org notices will give you the link and such for the stories on you fav' list. I can add the link to the new chapter in my notices if you want. If you do, let me know in your review/email.

Happy Birthday, Biganimefan1!

I put this chapter out today as your present.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 12

It seemed this month was full of first for this royal hanyou. After all his sleepless nights and silent beckoning, he cursed the sun for coming up to soon.

`Why? Why did it have to come up then? Why not a few more precious seconds? It never seemed to come up that quickly before. Why now?'

He had been in the middle of kissing her. She slipped her tongue in, much to his surprise, and then the sun came up. His fangs sprouted cutting Kagome's tongue. He could still taste her blood.

She panicked and limped out of the room. InuYasha was banging his head against the headboard.

Why was fate playing with him!

"It's nice to know it's not your parent's fault that you're an idiot. Do you do that often?"

"Shut up and fuck off, Miroku." InuYasha said not stopping his pace.

Miroku winced as he walked to the bed, eyes fixed on his friend. The simple repeated motion was making his head hurt. He physically stopped InuYasha from shaking loose the little brain he had left.

"Why does everything in my life go wrong?"

"What happened?"

`Why do females make things so complicated?', he thought.

"I hate women.", is what he said aloud.

Miroku backed up at once and gave him a slated stare. "What do you mean you `hate women'?"

InuYasha narrowed his eyes and side glanced the pony tail prince.

"Well someone feels better."

Smiling brightly, "You noticed, huh?"

"I'm guessing you're in a perky mood because the Bitch is back."

His smile slipped. "InuYasha I`ve told you a thousand times. When I get a wife please don't call her that."

"But that's-"

"I know. I know. We've had the lesson and edict on dog demons already. Just please don't call her that."

"She agreed to marry you then?"

Miroku focused his eyes else where.

"You didn't talk with her?"

"Not exactly."

InuYasha threw his hands up and climbed out of bed.

~*~*~*~*~

Sango was talking but it was falling on Kagome's deaf ears. She was sitting on the bed continuously rubbing her tongue with her fingertips.

`What was she thinking?'

`That's the problem. You weren't thinking.', her conscience scolded.

`I know. You don't have to remind me.'

`What are you worried about? He's available and obviously interested.'

`Yeah but I feel like I'm forgetting important something.'

"Kagome?"

She looked up a blank expression. Sango sighed.

"Kagome you've been bugging me about why I left all this time and here I am trying to tell you and you're not even paying attention."

"I'm sorry. It's time for you to eat breakfast anyway. Tell you what. I'll come back tonight and I swear you will have my full attention."

"Okay." Sango turned to leave.

"Sango?" She looked over her shoulder. "Good luck with your meeting to day."

She smiled. "Thanks."

"Oh, one more thing. Can you bring me back some of those rolls? They are so soft and flakey-"

The smile disappeared from Sango's face. Rolling her eyes she walked out of the door.

Calling after her, "Is that a maybe?"

~*~*~*~*~

She sat Indian style on the sunny cliff with her hand supporting her face while the other hand absent mindedly twirled a fire red lock.

`Where was he? It shouldn't take that long.'

Her eyes scanned the area again. Nothing.

She stood up to stretch her muscles. She must have been here for hours. In the middle of doing a few leg stretches something caught the corner of her eye.

"He's here!"

She walked away with her back turned to the cliff only the race straight towards it again. Without a second thought, she leaped of the several story cliff free falling. It didn't appear as if she was trying to prepare for a landing.

In the next moment she was surrounded by two arms.

"I wish you wouldn't do that. One day I might miss."

She was all giggles as he sat her on her feet. "What are you talking about? I trust you with my life Koga."

It was their ritual for as long as she could remember. When he would go away for a couple of days and come back she would jump off of the cliff and into his arms. Then he would tease her about missing. But she knew he was expecting it. It was her way of showing how much she truly trusted him.

"Is everybody okay?"

"There were a couple of bad scrapes but nothing that won't mend or heal."

"That's good."

She pouted. `That's good? Was that all he was going to say? Usually he gave her some kind of praise. Unless…'

Koga walked into the cave.

"Koga." She bounced after him. "You said the King sent you on a mission. Right?"

"Yup."

"What was it?", She asked with as much innocence she could muster.

"I was suppose to tell the princess it wasn't safe for her to come back. He would have sent someone else but he couldn't spare anyone. Plus it was faster for me to go."

Koga plopped down on his fur bed. Ayame kneeled beside him.

"I would have been back sooner but I had to escort them back to the palace."

`Them, huh?'

She tried to sound surprised, "Oh! Really? I hope princess Sango is well?" Then added quickly, "Did you see anyone else?"

"As a matter a fact I did. My Kagome was there. And I ran into that fowl mouthed mutt." The wolf girl hadn't missed the flicker of anger in his eyes when he said the last part. He yawned. "Ayame, I'm going to take a nap. Make sure I'm not disturbed unless necessary."

"Yes Koga.", she answered tightly.

`I knew it! Every time he sees her I can tell. I hate her. If I didn't love Koga so much I would have killed her long ago.'

Ayame didn't see what was so special about Kagome. She was just another human girl.

She huffed and walked out of the cave with her arms crossed over her chest. For once she was glad he had run into InuYasha. He must have stopped to wash the smell off and Kagome's scent was erased as well. She would cut off her nose before having to endure that fowl odor if she wasn't there.

Planting her fist on her hips she began. "Listen up!" She yelled to the pack. They were all lounging outside. "Koga's back. But don't bother him because he's sleeping. So don't make any noise! And if you want to talk to him, tell me what it is and I'll decide whether or not it's important enough to bother him with." She said the last part in a harsh tone. "Everybody got that!" She finished the order. No one was stupid enough to think she meant it as a question.

True women had no real say in the wolf pack but this was an exception. When it came to Koga she didn't play around and everyone was fully aware of this. This feisty flame had beaten down one of her brothers for touching his fur bed while he was away.

Ayame turned around to enter the cave again. The sound of the wolf lord's breathing let her know he was still awake. She kneeled beside him, instantly turning back into a cuddly canine.

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine. I just can't get comfortable."

She took the fur wrap off her shoulders and made a `pillow' for him.

"Better?"

"Yeah. You're so sweet." She beamed. "Sometimes you remind me of Kagome." Her world crashed.

She knew he meant it as a compliment but the fact that she hated Kagome made it feel bitter sweet. Would he ever notice she wasn't a child anymore?

~*~*~*~*~

" …afterwards they agreed to divide the land into two territories and rule their own half justly. But the Northwestern ruler became tainted with the same taste for power as the king they had overthrown. He tried to take over the other territory. But the Great Inu obliterated the evil ruler and took over both halves. That is why we have this kingdom today. And one day my son you will reign over this land."

"Are you telling him that story again?"

"And why not? It's his favorite." The little one gurgled in agreement.

Rin smiled and shook her head. Sesshomaru walked off of the balcony and into the bed chambers. He smiled down at the baby in his arms as he walked over to his wife.

"You're going to have to take him now. I have a meeting."

"No." The Queen whined. "He wants you. He's a daddy's boy. All he's going to do is whine for you when you leave."

"Gee, wonder where he gets it." She pretended to be shock. "He'll have you."

"Yeah, but you're so good at it.", she replied putting up a arm to curve around his neck.

With the baby in one arm and Rin hanging on the other side, they made the `perfect family' portrait.

He looked at her and cocked an eyebrow. "Is that all I'm good for?", he teased.

"No." she tiptoed while smiling. "I can think of a few other things."

He bent dangerously close to her face.

Smiling, "Really?"

"Really."

KNOCK! KNOCK!

She made a groaning noise as she titled her head skyward.

"Go away.", she whimpered in a low tone.

He kissed her forehead.

"I told you I had a meeting."

~*~*~*~*~

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT!"

She looked at him strangely. "I just cleaned the floor. You'll have it dirty again in no time."

"That is not what I'm talking about, and you know it."

She sighed.

"Just tell me why. Why him? That guy gives me a bad feeling."

"I don't have to answer that question."

InuYasha growled at her. "I order you to answer it."

She stopped her task and looked him square in the eye.

"I didn't ask you to tell me why you're sleeping with Kagome. So don't ask me about Naraku."

His eyes went wide.

"You didn't think I knew about that. Did you? Now move. I have to clean where you're standing."

`I hope he doesn't hate me. I know he doesn't like Naraku but that's no reason to stop me from liking him.'

She bent down and started cleaning the floor again.

"He's not all that bad you know."

"Did you do this to get back at me?"

`Oh great. He ignores me all this time and as soon as I get attention else where he is suddenly paying attention. I can't believe I have to justify my personal relationship.'

~*~*~*~*~

"I didn't ask you to tell me why you're sleeping with Kagome. So don't ask me about Naraku."

His eyes went wide. `How did she know about that? They were only asleep for a couple of hours at the most. She must have come in the room.'

"You didn't think I knew about that. Did you? Now move. I have to clean where you're standing."

`Maybe Miroku was wrong.'

(Flashback)

That morning after Miroku had gotten InuYasha to stop assaulting the headboard with his skull, they had finally sat down and talked to each other about their girl problems.

"I don't know what to do when I see Kagome now. And the worse part is every time I went to talk to Kikyo about it she was acting snippy."

Miroku put a hand to his chin. "InuYasha, did you ever stop to think that maybe all this closeness with Kagome was rubbing Kikyo the wrong way?"

"What do you mean? They had a conversation about me. That's the reason I had to carry the Bit-Kagome around because Kikyo felt sorry for her and was `punishing' me by making me wait on her."

Miroku shook his head at the hanyou's inability to comprehend.

"I mean, maybe Kikyo is jealous that you were spending all your time with Kagome instead of her. You said her behavior got worse after she caught you two in the hallway right?"

"But she was just mad because she thought I was forgetting the plan." InuYasha thought a moment. Then it dawned on him. "And that I was trying to take her for myself.", he finished slowly running a hand down his face.

"Mmhm."

(End Flashback)

She bent down and started cleaning the floor again.

"He's not all that bad you know."

`I'll give it one more try to be sure.'

"Did you do this to get back at me?"

"What do you mean?" She asked dryly, keeping her gaze fixed on the soapy floor.

"I mean did you sleep with him because you THOUGHT I slept with Kagome." He made sure to stress that word.

"Don't be so vain. Everything in my world doesn't revolve around you."

`At least not anymore.', she thought.

"And I know what I saw. It was bright enough to be daylight in there."

He was a little hurt by the fact that she was making fun of his paranoia.

"Did you see any clothes scattered?"

She paused to think about it. `No there wasn't anything on the floor.'

There was silence.

"That's what I thought."

He stomped off.

~*~*~*~*~

"…so I was hoping that we could reach some kind of agreement so you will send forces to help."

The King looked across the table at her. She had negotiated as well as any man, maybe better. She even kept her facial expressions under control. He was impressed which was very hard to do. But the `why' question nagged him. Why did she feel obligated to know how to do this? When she got married her husband or his advisor would handle such affairs.

"You present a good argument. But I have already given the order to send a platoon out of the kindness of my heart."

"Thank you very much. Our kingdom is in your debt."

She rose to leave.

"Please." He held up a hand to stop her. "I have a few questions for you."

She sat back down.

"Was there a particular reason you called off the marriage?"

"I don't like prince InuYasha. I know you probably consider him to be like a nephew to you but in my opinion he is a fowl mouthed jerk."

He was liking this girl more by the minute. But was this nephew business? `What in Kami's name had they told her? Didn't they tell her the truth like he told them to?'

"I see. What about prince Miroku? Would you be willing to marry him?"

Her neutral mask had cracked upon the mention of the human's name. But she rebounded, slipping back into her emotionless state. Well almost…

Her face was masked but her eyes showed hurt in their milk chocolate depths.

"Words can't express how I feel about prince Miroku."

`What had those idiots done?'

"So what do you plan to do?"

"I plan to rule the kingdom myself."

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome was bored. She hadn't realized how little there was to do. InuYasha had taken up so much of her time before. But when she saw Kikyo she was reminded why she was sad when they left. She had just been so happy to see him she had forgotten about Kikyo. It saddened her knowing he was playing with both of them like this.

Since InuYasha was no longer an option, what was she suppose to do all day?

"Kagome, here you are I've been searching for you everywhere."

This was one of the times she was glad to know Koga tracked her down. She'd rather be with a friend than feeling sorry for herself. There was a question she was itching to ask him anyway.

~*~*~*~*~

Sango was drained. That meeting had her more stressed out than she thought. Maybe it wasn't wise to skip lunch. But after his Highness's interrogation her stomach had this sick twisted feeling. She just wanted to lie down.

She was about to enter her room.

"Sango?"

She stiffened.

"Yes?" She refused to turn around, Looking at him meant looking in his eyes. And the last time she so memorized she was about to confess and the time before she had kissed him. No she wouldn't look at him.

He closed the door to his room.

"I was just about to go to lunch. You want to walk with me."

"No. I'm not going to lunch." She opened the door and started to walk in.

"Wait." She paused. "I wanted to talk to you."

"I have nothing to say to you and I don't want to hear anything you have to say either."

Miroku was getting impatient. If he didn't do something quick she'd continue to avoid him. It's a good thing he changed her room to the one across from him, otherwise he would have never caught her.

He pushed her into her room since she was so intent on going there. Now she wouldn't have an escape and would have to listen to him.

Sango looked back at him in shock. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Sango I now you're mad but let me explain."

"There is no way you could possible explain. And I don't want to hear it if you could."

He continued anyway. "It was before I knew you and now that I do I'm sorry that I ever did it. I should have given you a chance."

"So you admit it! At least there was some doubt in my mind that you might not do me like you did her but now…"

She let the sentence trail off because her eyes were starting to water. She turned her back to him.

`No. Don't let him see you cry. Be strong.'

Miroku was completely confused.

"What other girl? I'm talking about me and InuYasha switching places, like you did. What are you talking about?"

`Switching?' Now the King's questions were starting to make sense.

"What about prince Miroku? Would you be willing to marry him?"

`He was really the prince she was suppose to marry?'

She was semi-relieved and more heartbroken at the same time.

"I would never marry a man that did what you did."

"Sango it's not that bad." Miroku didn't see how she could say it was terrible if she had done it?

The tears started to dry up as her anger built. She turned to face him.

"Not that bad. Where are your morals and decency. If you don't consider what you did to her-"

`What is this `her' stuff?'

"Her? Who is her?"

"Yura. Princess Yura. Was she that insignificant you forgot her name?"

Miroku's insides twisted. So that's what Mira told her. No wonder she left in such a rush. She must have thought…

He tried his best to sound calm. "Tell me exactly what you were told."

"You slept with her and left her." She stated bluntly.

"Where did you hear that?"

She folded her arms. "I heard it from one of the other girls when I was a mere servant."

"So you believe a peasant rumor?"

"No, but every rumor holds some thread of truth. She and her mother came to visit our markets and stayed at the palace for a while. She told me herself, but it wasn't until M-someone else told me again that I figured out that the pig prince was you."

"Oh."

"So you don't deny it?"

"I didn't say that. Before I tell you what really happened, tell me what kind of person you think Yura is."

"Why should I d-"

"Just do it.", he commanded.

Sango was about to argue further but the look in his eyes made her stop.

"Fine." She pondered. "She was okay, I guess. I mean she wasn't mean or anything, but she was", Sango fumbled for the right word, "self absorbed."

"Stop right there. Hold that thought when I tell you this." He took a deep breath. "Yes it is true that she was one the many princesses I was suppose to marry and drove off. But she was the first to retaliate."

He was entering the part of the story he had tried his best to forget.

"Apparently princess Yura was used to getting everything she wanted and having countless men at her feet. When she learned that I didn't desire her, she took it upon herself to remedy that. One night after dinner I found her draped across my bed."

The princess's eyes widened.

"I told her to put on her clothes and be out of the room by the time I got back. Three months later I heard she told everyone that I took advantage of her and left her."

Mouth slightly parted the princess could not believe what she had just heard. The array of emotions that danced across his face was enough proof to her that he was reliving a bad memory. Was someone that sick? Why would she say that if it wasn't true?

"You could have at least asked me about it before you thought the worst. It's a shame that a woman as smart as you did something so dumb. I guess I'll leave now before I try anymore of my `royal seduction' on you."

~*~*~*~*~

"..I dashed out to get the intruder, but the King had already sensed him and was prepared for the attack. One tip about his majesty, just because he doesn't carry and weapons it doesn't mean that he doesn't have any. He used this green whip thing that came straight out of his hands."

"Tell her the best part Koga."

"Oh right. Since I was willingly putting my life on the line he rewarded me by making me lord over the entire forest region."

Kagome was impressed she knew he came to the Mayan markets to get things he couldn't get from nature but she never knew he travel this far away. And he had actually tried to save the King.

"Ayame, could you go get me something to drink."

She didn't want to leave Koga alone with that temptress but she didn't want him to be uncomfortable either.

"Alright."

She dashed off. If she hurried then she could be back before they got comfortable.

~*~*~*~*~

Miroku opened the door to Sesshomaru's private room. The last time he came here he was in trouble. The whole way there he had been reviewing what he could have possibly done this time.

Sesshomaru was sending Jaken on another personal assignment.

"Right away my King."

The amphibian sped out of the room.

"Miroku I would like to ask you something about the princess."

The prince sighed. He had had enough of that topic today.

"Rin told me you asked her for some advice. Is that true?"

"Yes. I came to her to ask her opinion on something."

Sesshomaru didn't have time to pull the information he already knew out of him.

"Do you want to marry her?"

"I'm not so sure anymore. But that doesn't matter because she doesn't want to even be in the same room as me."

The King rubbed his forehead. Why did humans make things so complicated? They were told by their parents who they were going to marry. What was there to do except do as they were told?

He looked at the hour glass.

"Look I have to go check up on my general shortly. So I'm going to tell you what to do. You like her and she has to like you to be so torn over whatever aspired between you. I don't care how you fix it but do it. I like her and expect to see her around here in the future. Maybe she can whip you into shape."

The day had taken its toll on Miroku's brain.

`He liked her? What the hell had Sango done in a brief meeting with Sesshomaru to make him like her?'

The demon king's brow crinkled.

"Why are you still here? Go fix your engagement."

~*~*~*~*~

InuYasha grumbled to himself.

`Where the hell was Kagome? She had a bad ankle, so she couldn't be to far.'

After his talk with Kikyo he went to search for Kagome, in hopes that she would help him feel better. Now he was giving up. Maybe she was with the bitch. He would sit in his tree to clear his mind.

InuYasha blinked and rubbed his eyes. There had to be something wrong with them. Because he was sure he didn't see Kagome sitting with that sorry excuse for a wolf under his tree. No, that couldn't be right.

`How the fuck does she kiss me and then sit with him under MY goddamn tree? Her ass better be glad I let her sit there.'

To this hanyou they had defiled his sacred ground but that was okay it would give him an excuse to pound the asshole. He was going take all his frustration out on Koga.

InuYasha cracked his knuckles and walked toward them.

~*~*~*~*~

"Koga, please. I told you to find someone that will make you happy. I can't-"

"What the fuck are you doing?"

Kagome went stiff. Even if she wanted to she couldn't turn around. She knew that tone of voice. And it seemed to get more growl in it when Koga was there.

"What do you want dog breath?"

"I want you to get the hell off my property."

Koga jumped up and began a face off.

"What did I tell you about Kagome?"

"I meant the tree jackass." He meant Kagome.

~*~*~*~*~

Kikyo winced as she watched InuYasha punch Koga to the out skirts of the forest. And pulled a face as Koga kicked InuYasha in the stomach. She could almost feel and hear each blow.

To think she was just going to dump her cleaning water.

"Hi Kikyo, whatcha looking at?"

She motioned her head towards the brawl.

"Come look at the afternoon entertainment with me, Ayame."

The wolf girl threw the cup down.

Her and Kikyo exchanged glances while thinking the same thing.

`What made her so great that she had two men fighting over her?'

Kagome looked like she was trying her best to run toward them. Then InuYasha slammed Koga into one of the trees and held him there by the neck.

"NO!" Ayame cried while running toward them.

~*~*~*~*~

Pain shot through Kagome's leg but she barely noticed. She needed to get to them before they hurt each other.

She doubled her pace as InuYasha slammed Koga into the tree. He pulled his fist back.

"InuYasha, no!" Kagome slid between them.

He immediately stopped his assault.

"InuYasha please don't." She begged and looked at him with pleading eyes.

Baring his fangs and growling InuYasha pushed his fist forward. Kagome closed her eyes yelping as she waited for the blow.

A cracking sound made it to her ears but she didn't feel anything. The tree InuYasha had pinned Koga to snapped in half and fell. He had punch just above the lord's head.

Breathing hard, he let go of Koga. By this time Ayame had gotten there and was hovering over him.

The blood was rushing to his head. He had been denied the pleasure of beating the hell out of Koga and wasn't thinking properly due to his battle haze. He fixed his gaze on the woman in front of him.

"Come on.", the prince said tightly while half dragging and lifting Kagome with him. "What the hell is wrong with you? You are never suppose to put yourself in the middle of a fight like that. What the fuck were you doing with him anyway?"

"I had to make you stop."

He began to slow his pace when they entered the castle. He started walking to the servant hallway. Still pulling Kagome along he continued to ramble.

"If I ever catch you with that bastard again I will punch his face in. How can you make out with me and then defend that asshole?"

"That was before I remember you were with Kikyo."

He stopped to look at her but didn't let go of her upper arm.

"What the fuck are you blabbering about? I'm not with Kikyo. She's my friend. And for your information Kikyo is with someone." He grabbed her other shoulder. "Kagome I don't care how you feel about me but I be damned if I let Koga have you either."

He started to pull her along again. Now Kagome was quiet. The last sentence kept playing in her mind.

When he got to her room he lightly shove shoved her inside. Then closed the door behind him.

"While you are staying in this castle I better not see you with that wolf again."

He turned to leave.

"You don't tell me what to do and where do you think you're going?"

InuYasha turned back around with a look of disbelief.

"Sit down so I can look at you wounds."

"Wounds? I'm fine."

Kagome drew up her mouth and limped up to him.

First she held up his hand, his knuckles were partly busted from hitting the tree to hard. Then she crooked a finger through the claws slashes of his clothes. Lastly she rubbed some of the blood off the side of his mouth.

"If this is fine I don't want to see bad."

She silently thanked the gods someone had left her plenty of supplies because of her condition. After patching him up she picked up his top to fold it and a scroll fell out.

She picked it up and turned to the half demon that was sitting on the bed.

"Why did you have this?"

"I was going to ask you to finish reading me the rest."

She sighed. She walked over to sit on the bed. After passing it back and forth in her hands, she unrolled the scroll. Just as she was about to read she felt him shift and his head went in her lap. She quickly debated with herself before timidly placing a hand to stroke an ear. He leaned in to the caress urging her on.

They slipped into their old routine as she began to read.

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: That's right I took that line from InuYasha. It's not my fault that InuYasha said it to the wrong girl in the show. Now that I have corrected this mistake I feel much better. Sorry about making your stomachs turn for the Kikyo/Naraku pairing, but I'm not through with them yet so you might want to bring a paper bag for future reading.

Thanks to all of you that felt my pain about my computer and my being sick, along with family-to-closeness. Here is a comment for cursed_jax.

cursed_jax - I applaud you for your ability to pick up on my context clues. And yes I made the teaser miss leading on purpose. Had to leave something for you to be shocked about. And I can't directly say whether you are right in some of your other guesses but you are dancing around the area. I'll put in twist here and there to make it interesting.

And I honestly didn't make Kagome and InuYasha's relationship the least violent on purpose. It just happened that way. Besides I think they both suffered enough internally to make up for it, ne?