InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ Happily Ever After ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Okay two issues to address before we start the chapter. The first is the one question everyone keeps asking: “Why can't Kagome fight?”
 
Well answer me this: Why does she need to? Sango can fight herself. True it wasn't “trained fighting” but she had the basics. If the soldiers didn't want to help the princess what chance do you think a servant had? The king did what any father would do. Make sure his little girl had non-stop guards regardless if she knew or not. The only reason she didn't have that many guards with her on the trip was because they couldn't spare any with the raids.
 
She was going to be with Sesshomaru. His kingdom, as mentioned before, is considered the most powerful in the continent. So unlike his human counterparts, Sesshomaru REQUIRED the servants that worked intimately with his family to be trained. And why do you think InuYasha is always going on about how Kagome NEEDS his protection? Because she “always gets in trouble” and she can't protect herself. Think of how different the storyline would have been if she could fight?
 
Two whole chapters would have never happened in this story. Does anyone recall the tea incident? What did they fight about? Her needing to be protected. “Warriors” have a certain level of confidence so Kagome would have told Koga where to stick it in a more direct way instead of her subtle hints. Ayame would not have gotten away with that push. InuYasha and Koga would have had to break up that fight instead of finishing their own. (Koga would not have seen that `intimate' moment her and InuYasha had after the fight. You know the thing that made him leave.) InuYasha would have gotten kicked for trying to pull her out of a tree. She wouldn't have been as clumsy as to slip on shoes to sprain her ankle (or she would have fell better and not hurt it so severely).
 
And let us not forget the mirror that shattered or the tugging over the mirror. She would have had better reflexes and strength (why do you think she resorted to kicking a demon girl?). Kanna might have targeted her instead of Kikyo so Naraku's plan could have worked. Kagome was barricaded with a HUMAN InuYasha. Do you honestly think he would have entered the throne room unharmed if she had been the puppet? (You see the changes in just a few of the chapters off the top of my head? I won't examine deeper…) Kagome was the one who came up with the plan. Kagome was the one that set off the bomb. People she used her brain power!
 
Was this not good enough? You want her to learn to fight too? If you will recall the “original Kagome” in the series could also not fight and later learned to. Perhaps THAT is why I keep her like that? Just do a bit of speculation. I am sure SOMEONE thought of these things. So this part of the note is not for you. Sorry if I sound a bit snippy but I am rather tired of that question and it is beginning to sound like people are whining about it. (Imagined or not that is what it feels like.)
 
Next I had someone mention that chapter 23 was short for the time in which it took me to write it and I would be forgiven if I was working on something else. At first I was just going to brush this off but the wording of the person's comment bothered me. They would “forgive me”? Is that what people are thinking?
 
Well I thought I was doing pretty good considering it was weeks between updates when I hadn't updated for months at a time. When I started this story I was happy. When I wrote the best chapters of this story I was happy…Guess what? It has just been recently that I am even able to label myself as anything associated with happy. When my friends would ask, “How are you?” The response was usually, “Living.” Or “I'm not sure.” Now while I was working on some scenes for my other story (4th installment of `The Promise') which I work on when I'm not happy, I feel that that is besides that point. Can we not just be “happy” that I'm updating or just plain writing things other than emotional poems? I think that taking 3 years (yup that's right! MM.org readers have been waiting for my updates a lot longer the FF.net readers) to finish a story is a bit long if the said story is not over 30 chapters. I am sorry it took this long but in real life we can't get the things we want. I planned to be done with this story a minimum of 2 years. (so much for that…)
 
So if anyone still feels the need to reply to either of these comments I have made email or PM me. I don't want a rant taking up web space. There is enough wasted on a daily bases. I have said no one's name so if you leave it there then you spotlight yourself. This was something I need to state for myself. And in a small way for the people that just don't/didn't understand. Now we are clear, yes? Don't be afraid to review, email, or comment. Like I said I need to say this so I feel I am being heard and understood.
 
Okay now that the negativity is out, I can say that I love this chapter a lot. There are so many things I liked about it I could not pick which part was my favorite! (I switched around the scenes so much I was dizzy!) And I know that some things I mention in this chapter are to modern but I honestly couldn't figure out how to described them any other way. So let us all pretend that it is normal. **Example: I know they didn't really have “restrooms”. **
 
Enjoy…
 
 
 
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
Chapter 25
 
He awoke to the sound of humming and soft singing; he knew that voice. The hand that was lightly combing through his hair made him think twice about letting her know he was awake.
 
"So, this is what a man has to do to get your attention? If I had known getting run through was all it took to get me in your lap and you in my bed I would have done it long ago."
 
She wanted to cry; he had just woken up and he was already at it. It was so good to hear his voice and she hoped this wasn't another dream. If she had fallen asleep then she did not want to wake up.
 
He let himself enjoy the softness of her body; his little minx was getting bold. Who would have thought that, “The Queen of Propriety”, would be here lying in bed next to him? He wasn't sure which Kami he had to thank, but waking up to find his head between her shoulder and breast was more than enough to make up for the fact that he ached all over. And she was singing; he loved her voice so much.
 
"How long was I out?" He asked with his eyes still closed. When she failed to responded he looked up at her. “Sango?”
 
Tear lines ran down her face, and he couldn't understand why his songbird was crying; this would not do. He sat up even though his body protested the action greatly. Using his bad arm he wiped the streams of sorrow seeping from her eyes.
 
“Sango, what's wrong?”
 
“You…shouldn't do that.” She whispered quietly as she reached across him to ease his left arm down. “You might strain yourself or worse reopen it. That wound took forever to sear close.” She swallowed hard at the memory. For the first time in her life she had fainted. When she woke up she was beside Miroku in the bed and it had given her a lot of time to think about how heartless her words must have sounded to him the day he walked out on her.
 
He repositioned himself to sit back against the headboard.
 
“If you tell me what's wrong I promise not to over do it.”
 
The Mayan princess couldn't take it anymore; she buried her head in his lap and sobbed while saying broken versions of “I'm sorry.”
 
His heart broke. Why was she upset? What was she sorry for?
 
“Shh.” He comforted her as best he could, seeing as he had no idea what was wrong. “You have nothing to be sorry for.”
 
A humorless laugh left her lips.
 
“Nothing to be sorry for? I told you I didn't want to get married and almost got you killed. I hurt you to much; `I'm sorry' doesn't begin to cover it.”
 
`Oh yeah…' He sighed. Leave it to him to forget the little things after waking up from unconsciousness. “Sango, it's okay. I understand what you want.”
 
She stayed pressed against him; for some reason she just couldn't get her body to respond. Part of her was still convinced that this was not real and when she looked up he would turn back into a struggling-to-breathe-bloody-mess. Regardless, she had to pull herself together. InuYasha had plainly told her that if she wanted Miroku back that she would have to clear up this misunderstanding. He wasn't pushing her away so maybe he still liked her? Or maybe he was too weak to push her off of him…
 
Taking a deep breath she moved out of his lap. “You don't understand.”
 
“What do you mean I don't understand? You've told me you don't want to be with me.” He was trying not to get irritated but how many times did she want to rehash this subject? This was what she had run to his room to tell him that night? He didn't need her to constantly remind him. “I understand. You don't have to keep shoving it in my face Sango; I get it.”
 
“No you don't! You don't understand anything. That's not what I wanted, not at all! And why do you keep calling me that? You hate me but you are trying to be nice aren't you?”
 
“I don't hate you.” Why did he keep calling her what? He hadn't called her anything. Was she mad he had implied she was a liar, because that's exactly what she was doing! Saying you wanted to be with someone then going back and saying you didn't really want to be with them was lying. Isn't that what she did? “I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings when I say you lied Sango, but you did.”
 
There you go again calling me Sango!”
 
He stared down at her.
 
`She is mad because I'm calling her by her name?' How many times had she specifically asked him to address her as such? Now she was mad that he was doing it? Was this woman NEVER satisfied? Miroku frowned in confusion. “You're mad because I called you `Sango'?”
 
“You never did before.” Her voice was so soft and quiet, like she was talking to herself. Did she forget he was in the room? “Before I opened my big mouth and said something I shouldn't have. I didn't mean it the way it came out Miroku.” She tilted her head to look up at him.
 
She looked so sincere. Wasn't it her that he had awaken to? The woman did seem slightly rumpled. She must have been with him for a while if not the whole time he was out. Maybe she had lied but perhaps it was just about the getting married part and not the part where she said she didn't want to be with him.
 
`Does she really mean it?' A small part of him felt lighter. `She didn't want to leave him?'
 
“I did like you, and I had hoped it would be enough to evolve into love later but…”
 
He sighed. Why did he get his hopes up?
 
“But what I realized was it couldn't turn into love because I already love you. It's just that we haven't been around each other very long. I didn't want to be some passing thing. Something that you would toss away later, from what I've heard and seen your desire can be dashed away by the next best thing. I wanted to wait, to see if you would get bored with me.” She swallowed back the physical pain in her throat. She was certain it must be her pride. Kami knew this would be more than a humbling experience for her and the worst confession had yet to leave her mouth. “I know I'm not as pretty, refined, or ladylike as other princesses but this is the first time I ever felt bad about that.”
 
Was that all? It was her turn to understand.
 
“Sango,” He hugged her as tightly as he could with one arm, “don't you know by now that you are what I want?” He'd say it until she believed it. “My temptress.” He kissed her forehead. “My goddess.” He kissed her cheek. “My heart.” The other cheek. “My love.” He kissed her lips. It had been so long since he kissed her. That was going to change.
 
He wasn't calling her by her name anymore. He did still care.
 
“But when you were in the kitchen with Koharu you said…and then sleeping with her…”
 
“Let's get something straight. I did not and have never slept with Koharu. As for what I said, well…I can't remember everything I said. I was more than a little-more than a lot drunk. The last thing I remember is Koharu telling me to get into bed before someone saw me. I don't know how I would have never made it to my room without her. Sadly I know from experience that waking up from a hang over is a lot nicer if it is done in bed. You wouldn't imagine the cricks you can get if you fall asleep in those kitchen chairs.”
 
`Drunk?'
 
(Flashback)
 
“Come on Miroku. If you aren't going to do some of the work at least give me enough room to open the door.”

“But I need you.”

“Yeah to get you in bed.”
 
(End Flashback)
 
Suddenly those words had a different meaning.
 
“So forget everything you thought. I love you because you are different. I want to know that when I ask you something you will give me your opinion, not say what you have been trained to say. I want to know that every time I start acting stupid you will be there to knock some sense into me.” She let out a whisper of a laugh. “I want be able to sit down and play a game of chess knowing that the person on the other side will be a formidable opponent. I want to be able to spar with you for hours and make love to you on the floor as soon as we're done.”
 
“Miroku!”
 
Her face became a shade of red that he would have to make up a name for. He was certain it had yet to be discovered. The prince smirked. The fact that he could still make her blush gave him more pleasure than he was willing to admit.
 
Caressing her arm he whispered, “You know I'll do it too. Don't ever think I want anyone else. I might have to do something just like that to prove to you I only want you. Do you need a demonstration right now?”
 
Franticly she shook her head while stuttering. “Nn-noo”
 
“Then you pick a date for our wedding right now or I'll do it anyway. I've gotten a lot of rest butterfly.”
 
Air. She needed air. No matter how hard she tried she just didn't seem to be taking in enough. She knew very well that Miroku was a bit of a joker but she also knew if she didn't give him an answer he'd make good on his threat. And that was a bad thing right?
 
Right?
 
RIGHT?
 
“Um, how about…um…-”
 
“Times up…”
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
“That was a nice ending, don't you think?”
 
He scoffed. “What was all that unnecessary stuff? All they had to do was tell us he finally got her back and they were happy.”
 
Kagome giggled while running her fingers along his scalp.
 
“Obviously you know nothing about happily ever after endings. The writer has to tie up all the loss ends. The who's, what's, and where's of all the characters. Weren't you happy to learn that he could open his shop? Or that her former betroth end up penniless?” He grumbled out affirmative sounds, perhaps he didn't want to say the actual words. “Well the author has to let us know those things otherwise we will be left wondering and that just isn't acceptable. Remember how you acted when you thought the scroll ended with her leaving?” More grumbles. “Were you not about to misuse your power to hurt the poor soul?”
 
“No one should EVER end a story like that! I want to talk about something else.” He stealthily twisted his head a fraction so she could rub his ears more.
 
“You want to check on him later?”
 
“Yes. I suppose that-…your friend will be there.”
 
She smiled at his change of words. At some point, without her knowing, Sango and InuYasha had formed a shaky truce. They tried not to overly insult each other or purposely start arguments. Maybe they were waiting until Miroku was better before they went back to their old ways.
 
Kagome poked him so that he would sit up. The half human frowned slightly, he didn't want to move. He was content with where he was but he still sat up.
 
“I just want to thank you for not fighting with Sango. I know she can be…”
 
“Loud? Bossy? Snooty?”
 
“Complicated. She has been through an emotional whirl wind lately. We all have. I'm glad you have both put your issues aside.”
 
“For now.”
 
He tugged her to stand up with him. If they were going to talk about her then his mood would be sour for a while, might as well take his, and her, mind off of it by eating in the newly built kitchen. He could stand to eat his snacks in there now that it was expanded and equipped with the latest furnishing. If he had known his tight assed brother would do that he would have blown the thing up long ago. Part of him was mad he hadn't thought of doing it just to spite Sesshomaru.
 
“You think we can make this permanent?”
 
“I don't know. We'll see. Can't spoil her by making her think I like her or anything.”
 
The moment she was up, Kagome hugged him tightly. After returning the hug he looked down at her.
 
“What was that for?”
 
She smiled brightly looking up into the branches. “I'm just happy. I'm happy being here with you. Not so long ago this moment would have been just a dream. Between our friends making us switch, Naraku, and Kanna…I'm not even sure how we manage to just enjoy this. I wish we could just freeze this moment, who knows what disaster is lurking around the corner.”
 
She took one last look in his eyes before leaning onto his chest.
 
`This was it wasn't it? Asking her now would be perfect. He didn't feel nervous and Miroku said the words would pour out of his mouth when he was truly ready. This must be it!'
 
“Kagome, I've been thinking-”
 
The sound of a throat clearing broke them apart. Not that Kagome got a chance to see who it was since InuYasha slammed her back against his chest, holding her in a firm grip like he thought someone was going to take her. Was he growling? That only meant one thing.
 
Koga.
 
“What the fuck do you want? Didn't I tell you to leave us alone?” He took the time to place Kagome between him and his tree while holding up a fist. “Or did you prefer I beat it into your head!”
 
The wolf lord merely uncrossed one arm to inspect his claws.
 
He began without looking up. “Don't you ever get tired of him Kagome?”
 
Before the prince could stop her she stepped around him.
 
“Koga, you're not here to make trouble are you?”
 
“Nope,” He replied simply; smiling down at her, “I just came because I was summoned but for some reason the King isn't here; something about getting the Queen. Anyway, his letter basically told me what happened. I'm supposed to get all the details from shit-for-brains which is okay since I have something to say to him anyway.”
 
It might have been her imagination but she could feel the infuriation radiating from her hanyou. She was unsure if it was Koga's name calling or that fact that Sesshomaru had left InuYasha to deal with Koga out of some twisted pleasure to vex him.
 
“Why I ought to-”
 
“You!” The ookami turned to look at his life long rival. “If Kagome ever tells me that you have hurt her, if someone hears that you have done her wrong, if I even think you made her cry I will knock you so hard your eyes will be in your ass to keep your brain company.”
 
A moment of silence passed as he realized that for once he didn't have to worry about fighting Koga. He was actually wishing them the best in his own way. For the first time both K-9s actually did something without harming each other; they shook hands.
 
To bad it didn't last…
 
“So I heard your woman had to beat Naraku for you because you were too weak to do it yourself.”
 
“Are you kidding me? I could have taken him on.”
 
“Yeah but I would have beaten him. You could have just run to me, I would have taken care of it.”
 
“You're joking right? What were you supposed to do?”
 
“Hey I'm the one that got this position because I saved the King.”
 
“I have beaten up more guys than you, and kicked your sorry ass more times than you can count.”
 
“In your dreams, dog breath.”
 
“I'll take you anytime anywhere maggot face.”
 
“Here and now!”
 
“Fine with me!”
 
“InuYasha!” She placed herself between them immediately.
 
“What? Someone's gotta teach the mangy wolf whose top dog around here.”
 
She tried in vain to push apart the males that were sandwiching her. “Where is Ayame when I need her?” Kagome groaned lowly.
 
Koga cut off the ball weighing match with InuYasha.
 
“What do you mean, `where is she'? She was right behind me.”
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
Sango rubbed out the non-existent wrinkles in her dress for the millionth time since she had stepped out into the hallway, a whole three seconds. Each time she carefully avoided her chest as if there was some sort of invisible barrier above her abdomen.
 
Maybe it would help if they weren't sore, delightfully sore, but sore none the less.
 
Stupid Miroku; not once did he say anything about a time limit, just that she had to answer. Which she was in the middle of doing!
 
The next thing she knew the top of her dress was off and the bindings of her under garments were gone. She barely had a chance to cover herself with her arms before her naked skin greeted the air. How he was so quick about getting her undressed? On second thought maybe she didn't want to know how he had gotten so fast.
 
(Flashback)
 
That injury didn't seem to be bothering him at all. It wasn't completely healed, she knew that, but from her point of view it looked like he wasn't worried about it reopening or that his muscles should have been sore from being immobile so long. He looked down at her from his straddling position. Nope, they weren't bothering him at all or something more important was overriding the pain.
 
“What are you doing?”
 
“N-not-nothing.”
 
“You look like you are covering the present I so carefully unwrapped.”
 
“I have to or you'll…”
 
“I'll…?”
 
“See…my…my uh…me!” Her blush was going to become a permanent, she just knew it!
 
“Isn't that the point?”
 
“You can't look at me…them! I need my under garments. Where did you throw them?”
 
“You don't need them and what's wrong with your breasts?” He said the word on purpose since it seems she couldn't.
 
Why did he always make her break things down for him?
 
“I'm not the busty beauties you partake in. I'm small. Well not small but it's still…I mean…it's not big like Kagome's or anything but…You know what this conversation is over, get up.” He raised an eyebrow at her but otherwise remained stationary. “Miroku get off.” She had the urge to kick him but that might cause her dress to slip further down. She could move her arms to slap him but then he would see her so smacking him was definitely out of question.
 
“My dearest Sango,” She stared into his eyes. What did that look mean? “You should be proud of what you have.”
 
He palmed her chest. When had he moved her arms?
 
“They are perfect.”
 
He slowly caressed the skin starting in large circles then gradually shrinking them until he was tweaking her nipples. A small voice in the back of her mind screamed warning that this was wrong. Another voice, the louder one, told her to enjoy this new sensation but that she should stop biting her lip so hard. Why couldn't she keep her back from arching?
 
“Just enough to be more than a handful but small enough to fit.”
 
`Fit? Fit where?'
 
“They are what I like to call the perfect suck-able size.”
 
It was getting hard to think. Suck-able, what was he talking about? Suck on what? Her breath hitched.
 
“Oooohhhhh.”
 
THAT is what he meant.
 
(End Flashback)
 
She blinked back to reality and felt even more self conscious than before. The princess ran her fingers through her hair. She had fixed it before she walked into the hall but surely something was out of place. Everything FELT out of place. Had her surroundings changed? Everything felt different. Or was it just her, oh Kami!
 
He chuckled as he watched her fidget. If she was like this now what in the world would she do after they actually had sex? He was tired of playing things her way. From now on he was going to take charge of how fast this relationship would grow. She was going to learn what it meant to be proud of your body and sex was a part of life, even more so in his family than any other.
 
Closing the door behind him he leaned down to whisper in her ear.
 
“Nervous about something?”
 
She jumped at the sound of his voice. Her hands paused in her hair momentarily as he hugged her from behind.
 
“You shouldn't have done…” How exactly do you label what had just happened? “, that.”
 
“Done what?”
 
He said it in such an innocent voice, if she hadn't been there for the mutiny he had coaxed her body into she might have believed him.
 
“We are not supposed to be doing things like THAT. It's not very proper.”
 
“Shush, koi. Nothing about you is `proper' and I will not treat you as if you are.”
 
Sango knew there was something about that statement that she was supposed to be offended by. She just couldn't think correctly. If this was anything close to what Kagome felt like when she got flustered Sango made a point to never pick at her again. It was NOT a laughing matter; she knew that now.
 
“I'm going to my room.”
 
She defiantly held her chin up, setting course to stomp across the hall to her room. And it would have been a wonderful exit if her fiancée wasn't messing it up.
 
“Miroku let go!”
 
“Um,” His face poised in mock thought, “no.”
 
He was trying to make up for a month or so of not touching her here! Stopping now would only put him further behind schedule. Sure what he had done earlier had put him closer to his quota but he still had a ways to go.
 
“Miroku!”
 
“I love it when you yell my name.”
 
She tried to push down the blush that was making its way to her face. She knew why he was saying that. She was hit with another flashback.
 
What the heck was wrong with him? He was acting like more of a lecher than usual.
 
“I'm going to my room.”
 
She struggled against his hold. She was trying to be careful because he was still hurt but he was more than pushing her.
 
“Oh, you want to finish in there? I'll show you how much fun we can have when you're completely naked.”
 
“No! Miroku,” She twisted in his embrace and managed to put a small space between them but she was still confined in his arms. “I'm not going to disappear. You did promise to take it easy. What about your wound?”
 
“The power of our love has healed me!”
 
“Then you won't mind if I start punching you again.”
 
And that is how Ayame found them.
 
The medieval Amazon propped her face up with her hand. They were quite entertaining. They made her forget she was supposed to be looking for Koga. She wasn't as antsy about him being around Kagome now that he realized she didn't want him. She didn't feel obligated to shadow his every step while in the castle.
 
“I take it you both are still engaged?” The pair froze. Well Sango stopped struggling. “I must say I am still a bit surprised your highnesses. I was beginning to think that neither of you would ever marry.”
 
What? Why you impertinent forest mole!”
 
Miroku was now holding her for less pleasurable reasons.
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
“So what are we eating to night Kaede?”
 
“I'm eating stew. You are going to eat lamb.”
 
The Queen shook her head. How many times did she have to tell her that she would eat what everyone else was having? She didn't want anyone to think that they had to go out of their way to prepare something special just for her.
 
“No, I'll have stew just like you.”
 
With that said Rin turned around to walk to get the proper fixings to set the table. She was indulging herself in these small “ordinary” tasks. It was strange how much enjoyment she got from doing little things like this.
 
At first she had been a bit shocked at where the oracle stayed. Unlike Jaken who had been horrified, she had not expected the old woman to live in anything her upbringing had accustomed her to. What she had expected to see was something a few steps above a shack. However it had been a nice surprise to learn that she resided in what could only be described as a very small temple.
 
Kaede had told her that several years ago she had been gifted with this place. A traveler's lodge had been converted into living quarters for her. Though most of the extra rooms remain empty they were still fashioned liked bed chambers. The main room still had the tavern look about it but it was modified to suit the older woman.
 
The bar was used to store things that would normally be in cabinets; cups, plates, bowls, and etcetera were left on the bar so that she would not have to bend down or reach up high to get them.
 
The kitchen, which was in a small room located behind the work station of the bar, was still in its original design. The extra tables that would have served to seat other customers were removed. Only two tables remained. One was for actual eating while the other was used for making concoctions of the mystical variety.
 
The entire place was full of candles of every color and size. It was the only way to light up a place that was intentionally built to be dark. At first the constant smell of burning wax had irritated her nose. True they did use candles at the palace but the candles they used were strategically placed so that the scent could drift out of the rooms. In areas where the scent could not be sucked out they had special made candles that gave off delicious aromas rather than the burning smell.
 
Most of the house was dusty. Her little inu had hated that most of all. Seeing that the oracle was old it was understandable that she could not keep things that were not regularly used cleaned. Rin had taken it upon herself to clean and air out a few things so that her son's nose would be granted some relief.
 
That too had given the toad a heart attack, something about the King killing him for letting her do manual labor. She rather liked this “keeping house”. Of course, Jaken had raced to clean the other rooms so that she could not. So she had to settle for daily sweeping and dusting of the main rooms. She did try cooking but that hadn't gone very well. She did despise laundry and washing dishes. Dirty things she could handle but dirty wet things were just not her forte.
 
She sighed as she began to place the silverware on the table. She might as well enjoy these things now because Sesshomaru would not let her entertain herself this way once she got back home. She would probably get a lecture about doing the little bit she was doing now.
 
It had been weeks since she left the castle. What was going on? When she asked Kaede if she could see what was going on the old woman would say that she did not see anything bad or that she needed to be patient. The only vision that she told her about was when she claimed to see white circles and blades painted in red. In the Queen's mind these were not things she should have been calm about. She demanded that she explain what those things meant. She did not like the answer she got.
 
“Sometimes a vision will be as clear as a living painting and other times one can only see clues or hinted meanings.”
 
And that is why she continued to clean things when little inu did not required her attention. When she was cleaning she felt happy and it occupied her mind.
 
“Your majesty what are you doing?”
 
Rin blinked out of her thoughts. “I'm setting the table.”
 
“Did I not tell you that you are eating lamb tonight?”
 
“Kaede I told you that you didn't have to make anything special for me.”
 
“I can not make what is not here. And I have no lamb to cook or serve.”
 
The lady laughed.
 
“Then why would you say that? I can't have something that's not here.” The soothsayer looked at her expectantly as the words began to sink in. “Oh my gosh! I can't eat what's not here because I won't be here!”
 
The old woman smiled softly. She was going to miss this demoness. Her house was cleaner than it had been in a long while and she was nice company, even if she was a package deal. That little imp had grated every second of her patience.
 
“Why didn't you say so sooner? I haven't a thing packed. When do I leave?”
 
“Now.”
 
The moment the words left her lips the door was opened.
 
“I shall start preparing to leave my King.”
 
A camouflage green and brown blur raced past the two women. Rin could scarcely wait for the few seconds in took for her mate to cross the threshold before she jumped on him, literally. If Kaede didn't know any better she would say he had actually wanted the intimate attack instead of scolding her for lack of decorum the way she had foreseen.
 
But then the future was never definite. She hoped that was the case for certain souls that were still hanging in the balance. A powerful influence was going to be needed to save them.
 
Would the powers that be send a miracle to rescue the three of them in time?
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
“Ayame!”
 
She turned around to face the sound of an upset Koga. Why was he upset? Sure he was coming in with InuYasha so that tone of voice should not have been a big shock to anyone but to be directing it to HER, well now it becomes a problem.
 
“What? What's wrong?”
 
“Ayame, recite the rules for when you have your hair like that.”
 
She unconsciously tossed her long locks over her shoulder.
 
`Was that is?'
 
She took in a big breath and began. “Um, let's see. I am not to go any further than five feet away from you. Should I require going any father than that I must inform you of such. During this time we should have eye contact at least every four to six minutes. If I must go out of your sight at any time I am to inform you of what I will be doing. After agreeing upon a reasonable time length I can leave. You will have the ability to make check-ins. Check-ins can occur every seven to ten minutes or when you feel necessary. The only time check-ins shall not be active is when I am taking a bath or using the restroom, all of which must be specified before I leave the five feet limit.”
 
During the whole time she spoke the wolf lord would nod his head here and there. Both princes were impressed at the well thought out planning. Maybe they should have something similar for their women.
 
What did the girls think? Well…
 
`Wow. And I thought InuYasha was strict about me running off getting into “trouble.” But that…I'm so happy that I'm not with Koga. I wonder why he never treated me like that.'
 
`Is she a prisoner of war or something? Why is she even bothering to comply with that? If Miroku told me some crap like that I'd make him regret it; although maybe I need to put some rules on him like that.'
 
“That is all correct. Now tell me Ayame, where are you?”
 
“Here.”
 
With arms crossed he continued the interrogation. “And did you tell me you where were going here BEFORE you left?”
 
`Oops.' The she-wolf peeked up at him through her bangs. “Um, no?”
 
He stared at her. “Anything could have happened to you!”
 
“I was just in the castle. There is no safer place to be. Nothing happened!”
 
“But anything COULD have happened.”
 
“Now, now Koga; I assure you that even with the incident that happened here this is still a very safe place.” The Prince of Fantasia slipped an arm around her shoulders. “She has been with us for quite sometime. Other than a few harsh words nothing bad has transpired.”
 
“Thank you Prince Miroku. See noth-”
 
Her eyes widened as the arm that was once on her shoulders slipped to her waist but the hand didn't stop until it was caressing her hip. In a flash three fist left there mark on the fallen royal.
 
“That is what could happen! That is the kind of perverted things I was talking about. You know what? Forget it. You aren't allowed to wear your hair down unless you are going to be with me the entire time.”
 
“You can't do that!”
 
“Watch me!”
 
She turned an angry face to glare at the man on the floor. “Thanks a lot Prince Miroku.”
 
Miroku secretly winked at her from his place on the floor. Her mind smiled and sang in a more cheerful voice. `Thanks a lot Miroku. You always know how to give a girl what she wants.'
 
Not that she got to savor the moment.
 
“Who do you think you are? You hit my fiancée! I should have you locked away!”
 
“You saw what he did!”, Koga shouted back.
 
“So? He is hurt!”
 
“You hit him too.”
 
“Your point? I can do whatever I want to him. Neither of YOU have that right. What if you hurt him more? He is human you know.”
 
“He was well enough to do that so he must not be too hurt. Apparently he felt good enough to do a few other things also.”
 
When Sango's eyes widened a fraction Kagome whispered to InuYasha.
 
“I wonder what he means by that.”
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
“Sesshy please?”
 
They had been having this same argument for weeks now.
 
“No. She was part of a plot to-”
 
“But she wasn't a willing party. She even told us where to get the ingredients to make the potion to get that thingy out of Miroku.”
 
After she had gotten back she made InuYasha tell her everything that happened. She even managed to coax the all the details from Kagome and Sango that they “forgot” to tell everyone else. What had happened was terrible and there should be punishments but the poor girl shouldn't have to die for being a pawn. True, Sesshomaru had a point about her over throwing Naraku but still…without his influence she would have never done such a thing.
 
Now that the girl was back to herself she had not spoken a word other than telling them that Miroku didn't have to die. He of course needed the medicine soon or he would die but plans for the trip were already being laid out. The concoction would need to be made and ingested immediately. That meant Miroku had to go on the journey. Sango had said she was going no matter what. It would do no good to make a grand production out of the fact that Miroku was going on the trip, if the people got wind of the reason for the quest in the first place chaos was a possible outcome. Taking along guards would only draw more attention to the fact that two royals were jaunting across the country. The only choices now were to send InuYasha or Koga. InuYasha would most likely go because he was Miroku's friend and because Kagome would be there. If Sango went she would probably take Kagome with her.
 
After telling them the antidote Kanna went back to blankly staring at the wall as tears cascaded down her face. Obviously the girl was in her own personal hell. Perhaps if she explained it that way then her husband would forgo killing her.
 
“I suppose next you shall plead that the execution be canceled as well.”
 
“No! He is the true evil here and should be punished accordingly. Just…” He stopped writing to watch her. The Queen fiddled with the corner of his desk before continuing. “Maybe you shouldn't torture him before executing him.”
 
It was official. His wife had gone mad.
 
“Are you certain YOU did not ingest something that would turn you against me?”
 
“Sesshy, I'm not against you. Would you at least good look at the poor little girl before you sentence her?”
 
He huffed in a manner the reminded her just how alike he and InuYasha were.
 
“So be it; I will reserve judgment on the accomplice for now.” Rin's inner self cheered at her victory. He would never come out and say `yes' but she was certain that after seeing the state Kanna was in he would not kill her. “The discussion on Naraku is closed.”
 
`Well it was worth a try.'
 
He expected her to leave but for some reason she lingered. Was she frowning?
 
“Is there something else?”
 
“Well…”
 
Frowning and avoiding eye contact. This was bad. Not once during their argument had she refused to look at him. What could she have to say that was worse than what they had just talked about?
 
“Rin.”
 
The demoness winced why did he have to use the I-am-the-King-do-as-I-say tone with her? She HATED when he used that tone to address her.
 
“Well Kaede told me something. You remember the seer?” He raised an eyebrow that warned her to stop stalling. “I want to tell you, I really do, but I don't think you are going to like it.”
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
“I'm sorry!”
 
“Kagome, you ruin my dress and burned my shoes I think that qualifies for something a bit more drastic than an `I'm sorry' when you have known for months!”
 
Okay so maybe she didn't expect Sango to find out about that dress she ruined when she had fallen on top of InuYasha. It's not like Sango ever really wore that particular dress anyway. She was certain Sango had forgotten it existed. Why she was requesting to wear it now was a complete mystery to her.
 
“The dress was an accident I explained what happened. And those shoes were evil! They made me trip twice in the same day. I fell on Miroku and completely embarrassed myself. Then I tripped on them again and sprained my ankle. If I were you I'd be thanking me.”
 
“Fine,” The princess stalked over the closet to shuffle through the garbs that had yet to be packed, since they were leaving today that didn't leave much to choose from. “I don't really care about the shoes but I need to find something to wear.”
 
“Sango what is wrong with what you have on now?” She pointed at the pink dress that her best friend was wearing. “You are going to be traveling I thought you wanted something comfortable but elegant.”
 
Much to Sango's relief, her back was turned to Kagome so she did not see the blush that burned her skin. Never, never, never could she tell Kagome her true reason for needing to change. This was all Miroku's fault! He was turning her into some kind of harlot. How did he keep making her do these things? The stuff she never dreamed of doing or saying she found her self doing without a second thought. Why? Because whenever she stared into those piercing purple pupils she became someone different. It was as if she saw herself the way he did.
 
If he told her she was strong she became brave. If he told her she was daring she became bold. If he told her she was exquisite she became graceful and refined.
 
That was the reason she was in this fix now. Miroku had begged and pleaded for her to wear something that showed off his third favorite asset on her body. She had been discomfited when he listed the other two after her sarcastic remark. Of course her rear had been number two. She was fully prepared to plug her ears to keep from hear the number one, since she was convinced that it was equally lewd. However he left her giddily flabbergasted when he told her that he loved her voice most of all, for when she sang even the purest angel would envy the sound.
 
How could she not agree to any outlandish request after a compliment like that?
 
It was the only reason she had the nerve to search through entire wardrobe for a garment that had a neckline that would leave her feeling self conscious all day. She had been nervous enough in the dress she had on now. The cut left the tops of her shoulders bare along with her neck and hints of her collar bone. When he expressed his disappointment she had been alarmed that he didn't think she was pretty anymore. However when he went on to insult her lack of daring, saying that if that was the best she could do then so be it; she became heated. She would show him!
 
Kagome went to answer the door while Sango looked through her closet.
 
“May I borrow my enchantress for just a moment?”
 
The servant stepped out of his way so he could retrieve the woman in question. He cradled her against him set off for a destination only known by him. Sango held her protest until he pulled her out of the door.
 
“But I haven't changed yet.”
 
“I know.”
 
“But-”
 
He continued in a low whisper. “I look forward to you keeping your promise but we well save it for when we meet again. I believe after being deprived of your intoxicating presence that I will enjoy the sight even more.”
 
She groaned. How was it possible to sound perverted and sweet all at the same time? When he halted their movement she looked at him and became suspicious as he grinned. She knew that evil grin.
 
“Now my dear I have a present for you. An early wedding gift you could say.”
 
“Well? What is it?”
 
He frowned. “Come Sango, you don't really think I'm not going to make you put your hands over your eyes.”
 
“Why? Just give it to me.”
 
“Nope, if you want your gift you must follow the rules.”
 
With an exasperated sigh she placed her hands over her closed eyes. Once that was done the prince lead her to a room and told her to open her eyes. A small gasp escaped her lips as she looked at his present resting on top of the table.
 
“But why?”
 
“You have to ask?” He gazed at her lovingly as she glided her hand across it. “When you lifted that hiraikotsu in the air and swung it I couldn't have been more proud of you.”
 
She smiled at the memory but soon sobered her expression.
 
“But I don't know how to use it.”
 
“You'll learn.”
 
“But I'm not sure if I can lift it again I was a bit perturbed when I did it.”
 
“So you'll train to build up your endurance and strength.”
 
“And what if this was a waste of your money and I don't learn?”
 
“Anything I spend is a waste compared to your priceless value. And it wasn't because you won't rest until you learn how to wield it.”
 
“You just have an answer for everything don't you?”
 
“As long as I have you by my side I do.” Miroku whispered as he hugged her close to him.
 
It was moments like these that she knew exactly why she loved him. Then she felt his hand softly stroke her butt. She let it go. At least he was just groping her and no one else. That was a start right?
 
They stayed like that, embraced in everlasting love.
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
They all waved. InuYasha, Miroku and Kikyo had followed the girls outside to bid them farewell. Sesshomaru had excused himself followed by Rin, saying he had business to tend to in the dungeons.
 
“So, Miroku when are they coming back?” InuYasha asked. He didn't know how long he could go without her presence. Her not being there was going to throw him off balance for a long time. He lived for the moment they returned.
 
“They're not.” Miroku replied, sadness playing on the ends of his voice.
 
“They're not! What do you mean they're not? Aren't you and the Bitch supposed to be getting married?”
 
“We decided not to. We formed an alliance. We signed the treaty this morning. If you had come to the meeting like you were supposed to you would have known that. As it is, I hope that maybe if I keep trying that one day I will win her heart, but I can wait.”
 
“What do you mean you can wait? If she's not here Kagome won't be either!”
 
“I can wait. Sango needs time and I'm giving it to her.”
 
“Time!” To say InuYasha was freaking out was an understatement. He pulled Miroku by his lapels. “How much time?”
 
The human prince calmly shrugged. “Weeks, months…years.”
 
“Years!”
 
The hanyou was chasing the carriage long before Miroku hit the ground.
 
“Miroku!” Kikyo rushed to help him up. “Are you okay?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“What's all this not getting married business? All three of you signed the new agreement this morning. I heard you tell Sesshomaru you wanted the wedding after you both came back from you quest to get the medicine.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“So then you just lied to InuYasha.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Why would you do that?”
 
“Someone needed to set a fire up under him. At this rate my songbird would be pregnant before he told Kagome he wanted to be with her.”
 
Kikyo couldn't hold in her laughter.
 
“But you do realize that he is going to be mad at you when he finds out you lied?”
 
The prince strained his eyes. Was InuYasha making a fist? Surly he wasn't threatening her not to leave.
 
“Yeah but as his best friend I'm supposed to see to his well being.”
 
“Speaking of well being, you know once he finds out you're dead right?”
 
He continued observing the couple. “I know.”
 
“So shouldn't you be getting a head start?”
 
His eyes widened. “Right.” He took off.
 
InuYasha ran for all he was worth.
 
“Whoa!”
 
The driver pulled the horses to a halt since the prince thought it was a good idea to stop in front of them.
 
“What's going on out there?” Sango shouted from the inside.
 
Kagome poked her head out with all the intentions of chewing out the driver. They weren't even well on their was an he was already messing up.
 
“Kagome!”
 
“InuYasha?” She opened the door and walked to him. “What are you doing?”
 
Focus, he needed focus. His thoughts were going haywire. It was taking all his concentration to summon his voice, let alone as her to spend her life with him. But he had to do this, no matter what. There weren't going to be anymore chances.
 
“Kagome,” He took her hands in his. “I can't let you leave.”
 
“But I have to leave.”
 
`Kagome, I love you. I never want to be without you. I can't see any future for myself is you're not in it. Will you marry me?'
 
Yes, that was perfect!
 
Kagome screwed up her face at his strange behavior. He was just standing with his eyes closed. She shook their intertwined hands to bring him back to her and asked him what was wrong.
 
That did it; when he looked at her his mind went blank and his perfect speech went out the window.
 
“Kagome, will you be my bitch?” (Beta reader laughs herself silly at this point! So cute!)
 
As soon as the words registered in his mind he wanted to take them back. His inner voice kicked him. `What the fuck was that? That wasn't what you were supposed to say you moron! Just great, now look at what you did. She took it the wrong way and now she's crying. Take the beating she gives you like a hanyou then go to your room to figure out how you can live knowing you hurt the woman you love so badly'
 
If anyone else had said that to her she would have beaten them until she could raise her fist no more. But InuYasha had said it. That meant…
 
While his ears drooped he closed his eyes and clenched his fists at his side. He heard her bring her arms up.
 
`Here it comes.'
 
The next thing he felt were her arms squeezing his neck tightly.
 
He knew she wasn't big on violence but strangling was not how he pictured her fury.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Yes.”
 
He cracked open an eye. What was she saying yes to?
 
`You asked her a question you idgit!' His brain screamed. `She didn't take it the wrong way.'
 
“You mean you will?”
 
She nooded. Crushing her against him he turned her until the world them became a blur.
 
Sitting her back down, “Okay so get your stuff. I don't care if Miroku is stupid enough to let her go I'm not taking that chance with you.”
 
“Letting her go? Of course he is. We have to go if we are going to come back next month. Sango needs to figure out what to take with her when we go on the trip. I know your brother hasn't asked you yet but I know you'll do it. We need to hurry up if they want to have the wedding in the new castle they are going to build. Even if the King sends the demon workers to help it will still take time build. Then of course there they still have to plan the wedding itself. I suppose I'll end up doing most of that though.”
 
“Trip? What trip? Wedding? But Miroku said…They ARE getting married?”
 
“Yes, why wouldn't they?” Was he growling again? “InuYasha?”
 
“MIROKU!!!!!” He whipped around to see his friend's retreating figure. “You'd better run! When I get my hands on you…!”
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
Kikyo looked out at the sinking sun from the hill top.
 
`I'm not sure what happened but it can't be true. And if it was he must have had a good reason. If I could have just talked to him…'
 
She just knew her Naraku would never do something so outlandish, so back stabbing…so…evil without cause. She had to talk to Kagome. She'd tell her the whole truth, not the `truth' everyone wanted to remember. If only she could have gotten her alone to talk before she left. She'd pull her aside the first chance she got when they came back.
 
Until then she had other things to worry about. She bit into the bitter root that would mask the scent she was trying to cover.
 
A smile slipped on her face as she rubbed her tummy. At least she'd have a little piece of her love to hold on to. InuYasha would most definitely freak once he found out. She supposed that InuYasha had been so preoccupied with Kagome that he hadn't bothered to take a good sniff at her. She even recalled him telling her that since he realized that she was sleeping with Naraku that he would try his best not to inhale her scent at all. The King would probably order the infant killed, he might even kill her for daring to carry it. She sighed. It was a good thing he was to busy to notice but that wouldn't last for to long.
 
The life of her unborn child was at stake. It was the only thing she had left of him and NO ONE was going to take it away. King or no king. Maybe if she got Queen Rin on her side she would stand a chance.
 
It didn't matter. She rubbed her abdomen once more. She would protect their child.
 
As soon as she made the silent vow the wind picked up and seemed to caress her skin. She'd like to think it was Naraku's spirit approving of her decision.
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
Well that was long! 27 pages to write and edit was hard. (Bless the person that enlightened the world to betas! I hope mine doesn't kill me when she gets this chapter.) I knew about 1/3 of the way through the story that I wanted to make her pregnant. Only one reviewer picked up on it. I wanted to spotlight them but I can't find their review. Well you know who you are. If I find it later I will change the author's note accordingly.
 
Speaking of reviewers, pokiepal inadvertently reminded me that I have forgotten to add the suggested readings at the end of the chapters. When the hard drive was erased I lost the picks I had selected. Since I have been reading a lot I have more than a few stories I'd like to highlight and I do make my own summaries of the stories. This chapter would have been unnecessarily long if I put all of them here now. I think I'll wait to post them. I probably won't get to it soon enough for my liking since I'm changing around the epilogue.
 
Consider this your holiday gift. Not promising that I'll sit down long enough to write. I'm itching to read. I am now officially a Shojo Beat girl! I feel a bit guilty since I started out with Jump. But I really, really, really want the next volumes of Punch! and Absolute Boyfriend. And Backstage Prince doesn't even come out until next year. *sniffs* I suppose I'll just have to sink my teeth into the new Bleach and Beat. Oh I meant to ask. Can anyone tell me if Crimson Hero, Vampire Knight, and The Prince of Tennis are as good as I think they are?
 
I want to know before I buy them. Boy all my notes all long today. I'll shut up now…well after I put a few suggested readings that is. Not all. Just some…
 
 
XX~*~*~*~*~XX
 
Suggested readings:
 
The Phoenix Blade by Fenikkusuken
 
A Dark Past by Sayo124
 
Waiting on a Wish by Quillwing717
 
Savvy by xbitternessx
 
(I know, no summaries. I will put summaries to them when I post all my picks.)