InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Memories Forgotten ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. I am not making any money from this.
-----------------------------

Inuyasha stared at the house in amazement. And it was a house, not a hut. It was larger than most he had seen in his era. From the outside he could tell it was at least large enough for three or four rooms. Why did he need such a big house for? He felt Kagome shiver in his arms and frowned. Better to get her out of the cold. He quickly entered the house.

His nose quickly confirmed that he was in the right place. Everything was bathed in Kagome's scent and it quickly put him at ease. He felt himself calming, like that time in her room when he had fallen asleep on her bed. It just relaxed him, making him feel that everything was right in the world. Also present was his own scent, though faded as though he had been gone for a few days. Which fit with what he had been told.

Kagome stirred in his arms. He glanced down at her before quickly searching for the bedroom. He found it easily and quickly settled Kagome on the large, thick futon in the center of the room. He turned and started a fire in the rooms fire pit. He frowned as he turned around. Kagome didn't look very comfortable in those clothing, not to sleep in. He thought about it, his face flushing a deep red, before he shook his head. Whether everyone thought he was her husband or not, he had no memory of it and didn't feel right undressing her. Instead, he merely tucked a blanket around her before settling against the wall near her head, Tessaiga propped against his shoulder.

He sat there, staring at her for an unknown amount of time, listening to her breathe as he wondered if he was doing the right thing. He sighed. “This is so confusing.” He froze when he saw her stir, her hands searching beside her. Her eyes shot open and her head turned when she didn't find what she was looking for. “Inuyasha?” she called sleepily, a note of worry in her voice.

He moved closer and her eyes immediately went to him. She gave him a smile. “There you are. What are you doing all the way over there?” She patted the futon beside her. “I had the strangest dream. Come to bed and I'll tell you about it.” Suddenly she frowned and looked down. “Why am I still dressed?” she wondered. Her hands automatically reached for the ties of her chihaya.

His face burned red at her question and actions and he turned his head away. He knew she didn't mean it that way but he couldn't help it. Kagome glanced up and saw his blush and averted eyes. Her hands stilled. “It...wasn't a dream, was it?” she asked as sadness and fear began to enter her scent.

Inuyasha glanced sharply at her as he also detected the salty scent of her tears. Not knowing what else to do he patted her on the shoulder. “D-don't cry.”

She tried to stop the tears but his actions only made her cry further as she thought about how her Inuyasha would have held her close instead of patting her on the back. “What else can I do?” she sobbed. “My husband doesn't remember marrying me. Doesn't remember falling in love with me. Doesn't want out baby.” She buried her face in her hands as sobs wracked her body.

Inuyasha began to panic. He never knew how to react around a crying female, and he hated that he was the cause of the tears. Suddenly he heard Kagome give a cry of pain and saw her hands go to her stomach. Kaede's words came back to him. He felt fear fill him. What if something was wrong with the pup?

He moved and snatched her up, holding her tightly against his chest. His actions immediately stopped her sobs, though tears continued to fall. She lifted her face to meet his worried gaze. “You have to calm down. Kaede-baba said stress is bad for you and the pup.”

His words soothed her. 'Pup, he's still calling the baby a pup. Does he maybe want it after all? Even if he doesn't remember?' Her tears ceased as a small hope began to fill her. 'Maybe everything will be alright after all?'

Inuyasha felt relief fill him when she relaxed against him and the tears stopped. He let his chin drop to rest on her head. “I may not remember but that doesn't mean I don't want things. And it doesn't mean I don't care.”

He felt her arms wrap around him and give gentle squeeze in thanks before releasing. He settled her back down on the futon and opened his mouth to speak when a growl filled the room. He blushed as he realized it was his stomach.

Kagome laughed at the look on his face until a second, quieter growl filled the air, and it was her turn to blush. He gave a knowing look and she mock glared at him. “I'm eating for two, what's your excuse?” Then she laughed as he tried to come up with one.

Inuyasha frowned when he saw her try to rise from the futon. “Where do you think you're going wench?”

She gave him a look. “We both need to eat something, I'm going to get food.”

“Keh. I don't think so. Kaede-baba said to keep you off your feet.” He rose instead. “Stay, I'll get the food.”

Kagome could only cast a worried glance at his back as he left the room. 'Does he even know where the food is?' she wondered.

As soon as he left the bedroom, Inuyasha frowned, unknowingly thinking the same thought as Kagome. He stared at the various doors, trying to decide which one might store the food. He didn't want to take too long, lest Kagome decide to get up anyway. Another thought occurred to him. “Shit, even if I find the food, will there be anything that I can cook?” He was tempted to just go out and catch a rabbit but knew that would take too long.

Suddenly, he sniffed. “What's that?” he wondered, following his nose to the delicious aroma he could detect. He entered the front room of the house and found a pot warming near the fire, the delicious scent of stew wafting out of it. He frowned, not remembering seeing it there earlier. He quickly sniffed and detected the recent scent of Miroku. A piece of paper caught his attention and he found a note in the monk's hand writing. He glanced over and found that the stew was from Miroku and Sango, and that they would visit in the morning.

He frowned again as he wondered how the monk had managed to deliver the stew without being detected. He quickly put that thought aside and found a couple of bowl, filling them and heading back to the bedroom.

Inuyasha glared when he found Kagome in the process of getting out of bed. “Oi, I told you to stay put.”

Kagome smiled sheepishly at him and settled back down. “Sorry, I thought you might need some help.” She noticed the bowls in his hands. “What's that?”

“Feh. Miroku must have dropped this off earlier.” He quickly handed her a bowl and sat down against the wall again with his own. “Left a note saying they would be by in the morning.” He started to eat, then paused when he saw that Kagome was merely holding the bowl. He scowled at her. “Eat wench.”

“Huh?” She glanced up at him, then saw him gesture at the bowl she held. She smiled again and took a bite. They ate in silence and quickly finished, even with Inuyasha retrieving a few more servings for each of them. Once they had both eaten their fill, Kagome turned to regard Inuyasha. She opened her mouth to speak, only to be interrupted as a yawn escaped her.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes at her. “Feh. Go to sleep wench.”

“But-” Another yawn escaped her.

“Sleep.” He ordered.

She shook her head. “Not in this. Can you get my yukata from the wardrobe?” She gestured.

He scowled but retrieved it and handed it to her. He quickly blushed and turned his back when she began to remove her clothing and change. A few moments later she said “It's alright, you can turn around now.”

He did and gulped. The thin white material did little to hide her curves from his eyes. He found himself unable to keep his eyes roaming her figure. They came to rest on the large swell of her rounded belly, and he stared for several moments before he was able, with great effort to tear his gaze away. He felt his face begin to heat and he glanced around, suddenly too nervous to stay alone with Kagome. His eyes landed on the door and abruptly began to move toward it.

His movements attracted Kagome's attention from where she was settling down. “Inuyasha?” she asked. “Where are you going?” Confusion clouded her face.

“It's too stuffy in here” he muttered. “I'm gonna keep watch outside.”

Her eyes widened at his response. He was going to leave her, alone? He never did that. Unbidden tears came to her eyes. “Wait!” she cried, seeing him about to exit the door. She struggled to lift herself up. He paused, whether from her words or her near hysterical tone was unknown. “Please, don't go” she pleaded.

“Feh, you'll be fine. Nothing's gonna get past me.”

“Please, Inuyasha, I don't want to be alone.” Something about the tone she used caught his attention and he glanced back. He felt his resolve leave him as he took in the desperate look on her face and the tears in her eyes. He sighed and nodded once, closing the door and moving back towards the wall.

Kagome calmed and allowed a small smile to come to her face. “Thank you” she said quietly as she laid back down.

“Feh.” But his eyes were drawn back to her rounded belly. Her movements had pulled the yukata tight across it, emphasizing its size.

Kagome noted the direction of his gaze as she made herself comfortable. She smiled at him and held out one hand to him while the other caressed her stomach. “Would you like to feel?” she asked, a knowing look in her eyes. 'He loves to feel the baby move. He can't resist it. If he could, he would lay with his head on my belly for hours, just listening to the heartbeat and the movements. Maybe it will help jog his memory?' She hoped. She smiled as she saw the look of wonder on his face as his hand began to move towards her swollen belly.

Inuyasha's eyes remained locked on her stomach as he imagined the pup growing there. He barely heard her question, it didn't really register until he saw his own clawed hand enter his field of vision. He suddenly realized what he was doing and snatched his hand back, crossing his arms across his chest and turning his head away. “Keh! Why would I wanna do a thing like that?” He sat back down against the wall and propped Tessaiga against his shoulder, refusing to look at her. But inside he was calling himself an idiot. 'Baka! What the hell did you go and do that for?!' He was conflicted. The one side of him wanted nothing more than to go back and feel the life growing there for himself, while the other felt it was a weakness he couldn't afford to show. He huffed as he tried to silence both voices.

Kagome stared after him in shock, unable to believe that he had refused. She tried to catch his gaze, to find some explanation but he determinedly avoided looking at her. She allowed a hurt look to cross her face as she muttered “Alright, good night.” She laboriously rolled over so that she was laying on her other side, her back to Inuyasha. She valiantly tried to hold back her tears, determined not to cry again.

Inuyasha sighed, ears drooping as his sensitive nose detected the tears Kagome was fighting back. 'Baka, all you do is cause her pain.' He cursed himself. “Kagome?” he called softly, unsure what he should say or do, only knowing that he didn't want to hurt her further. He sighed again when she ignored him, feigning sleep though he could tell from her breathing that she was still awake. He sat there, staring at her back and listening to her breathing as it slowly began to calm and even out.

Kagome had heard him call to her but was too weary to answer. She was suddenly very aware of Inuyasha's absence from her side despite how close he was. All she wanted was her husband back. She forced herself to calm down, slowing her breathing and felt her tense body finally start to relax as her exhaustion from the long day caught up with her. She began to drift off, only to cry out as a sudden pain flared in her stomach, jolting her back to full consciousness. Her hands immediately went to her side and she was grateful to feel Inuyasha's comforting, strong presence at her side.

Inuyasha was at her side before her pained cry had even been completed. Worry fueled his movements as he crouched at her side, his keen golden eyes taking in how her hands had gone to her belly. “What is it?” he asked, his voice rough with emotion. “What's wrong?” He watched her rub at her stomach and remembered Kaede's earlier warning that stress was bad for her and the pup. Panic set in as he feared that he had unknowingly caused harm. His strong arms snatched her up against his chest as he prepared to run to the old miko.

Kagome was shocked to find herself so suddenly cradled to Inuyasha's chest. She realized his plan a moment before he began to move. “No, it's alright” she managed to gasp out, despite the pain. Her words gave him pause and she tried to give him a smile, though it came out as more of a grimace. She could tell he was unconvinced and hastened to assure him. “I'm fine, we're both alright. The baby has just decided now is a good time to practice his kickboxing.” The pain was already receding as the baby responded to her hands rubbing against her belly.

Inuyasha let her words sink in, calming him with her belief that nothing was wrong. Then the meaning of what she had said reached him and he stared at her. “The pup... is moving?” He asked as he gently placed her back on the futon.

Kagome smiled at the wonder in his voice. “Yes. Here, feel for yourself.” She reached out and grabbed his hand, laying it against her belly where she felt the baby moving before he could stop her. She watched the look of awe and wonder fill his face as he felt the baby move for what was, to him, the first time. She hissed as the baby suddenly kicked again, right against Inuyasha's hand.

Inuyasha had been to shocked to react when Kagome had grasped his hand and placed it against her belly. Then he had felt the pup moving beneath his hand, and all thoughts of snatching his hand away had fled. He had never felt so full of awe as he did in that moment. Suddenly, he felt the pressure against his hand increase and fade away, accompanied by a pained hiss from Kagome. He glanced worriedly at her but she waved him off. “Just kicking again” she explained.

His eyebrows shot up as it happened again, surprised by the strength apparent in the movement. He smirked. “Keh. This pup's gonna be a strong one.”

Kagome smiled at the familiar line. Before she could think about it, her hand rose up and tweaked his ear as she said “What do expect considering who the father is?” Her smile faded when Inuyasha jerked away at her words and action. The moment was broken.

“Feh” he said as he moved further back, casting one last worried look in her direction. “You're sure that everything's alright?” At her nod, he settled back against the wall again and looked pointedly at the futon. “Then go to sleep wench. Kaede-baba said you need rest, so rest.”

Kagome sighed and settled back down, missing his presence. Her exhaustion soon overtook, and she fell into an uneasy sleep, wishing for strong arms to wrap around her and hold her close, reassuring her that everything would be alright.