InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Message in a Bottle ❯ Happy Ending ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 6 – Happy Ending






“Oh, Inuyasha!” Kagome stated joyously once the hanyou placed her feet upon the earth. “I-” The rest of her words were quickly cut off, however, as said hanyou abruptly pressed his lips upon her own.

Kagome immediately returned the kiss, doubling the passion. Reaching up and placing a hand upon the back of Inuyasha’s head, she edged his lips with her tongue, encouraging them to open. They obeyed, and soon, the hanyou and miko were lost in a deep, hungry kiss, as they explored each other to the fullest.

With his hands now also pressed firmly against Kagome’s back and neck, Inuyasha was the one to eventually end the kiss, offering a final nibble to her lower lip before pulling away completely.

Panting heavily, it took Kagome a moment before she tried to speak again.

“Inuyasha…I-”

“I love you Kagome!” he blurted out suddenly, needing to say it fast before any sort of hesitation might cause him to become tongue-tied.

“…I know.” the miko replied with a smile. Glancing down, Inuyasha followed her gaze, quickly noting the strip of his suikan that she still held in her grasp.

Flashing Inuyasha a look of both joy and confusion, the hanyou knew he had some explaining to do and signaled for her to sit down on the grass beside the well. Quickly following suit, Inuyasha joined Kagome on the grass, plopping himself down so close to her position that their knees were almost touching. For once not feeling the hesitance he usually felt whenever it came to opening up about his feelings, Inuyasha was quick to explain to Kagome everything that had happened from the instant she had disappeared into the well. He told her how he had loved her, even in that moment, and that the reason he hadn’t said anything at the time was because he had felt it was simply his duty to die with Kikyou, and that his love for her didn’t matter. Except, his love for her had mattered, because it had been his heart’s desire to be with Kagome that had physically prevented Kikyou from being able to cast her spell over him in order to drag him into Hell with her

He then went on to say how the concept of burying a message had been Kaede’s idea, and that Sango had been the one to physically write it, although it had been his words. Kagome thought in that moment that she would have to thank them both about a million times over. Inuyasha then surprised Kagome by confessing how he’d been slowly going crazy for the last two weeks, wondering if he was ever going to see her again. Apologizing for what she had inadvertently put him through herself, since she’d had no idea that the well would stop working for him, the miko admitted in that moment to the deep depression she herself had been experiencing, having been outright convinced that she would never see him again.

“Well, you’ll never have to worry about that again.” Inuyasha assured her in that moment, as he then went on to ask her to be his mate.

“W-what?” Kagome stuttered in total surprise.

“Will you be my mate?” he repeated, trying not to feel uneasy at her reaction. There was no repulsion in her scent, only shock.

“You mean, like your wife?” Kagome asked for clarification in that moment. She didn’t want to risk misunderstanding him, even if the word ‘mate’ was fairly self-explanatory.  

“Basically.” the hanyou confirmed. “Since inu-youkai mate for life.” he added, his slight feeling of trepidation immediately leaving him at the new wave of happiness that flooded Kagome’s scent. So it was with a huge grin that revealed his fangs that he asked playfully, “How do humans say it again? Oh yeah… Will you marry me?”

“YES!!!!” she exclaimed at such volume that it frightened off the rest of the birds, before quickly lunging forward for another kiss.

Knocking Inuyasha off balance so that he fell backwards, Kagome landed on top of him, and paying no attention to the somewhat compromising position, she continued to bombard him with kisses. He was quick to respond as she felt his arms wrap up and around her body, holding her to him as he returned her passion kiss for kiss. Eventually ceasing her assault, Kagome pulled back only enough to gaze into his eyes. Surprised to note how dirty his face had suddenly become, it only then dawned on the miko just how grimy she was herself, having run straight there right after unearthing his buried message.

Blushing at the thought of her disheveled appearance, Kagome immediately jumped to her feet and attempted the best she could to brush herself off. Giving up after a moment, she proclaimed in embarrassment how much of a mess she was and how she’d better go get herself cleaned up.

“Keh, you look fine.” stated in reply, conceding, “But come on, we’ll get you a change of clothes back with Kaede-baba.”

“Oh, but nobody even knows I’m here.” Kagome commented while worrying her bottom lip with her teeth. “I went outside to the Goshinboku after everyone had already gone to bed, and then after I found your message, I ran straight here.”

“Okay then…” he relented easily enough at her explanation, not wanting the girl’s family to get worried. “We’ll go back to your home.”

“We?”

“Ain’t no way I’m lettin’ you out of my sight again, woman.”

“Baka!” she teased behind a chuckle. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.” she replied with a heartfelt smile.

The two went back through the well together in that moment, Inuyasha being able to pass through so long as he held onto Kagome’s hand. Via the miko’s favorite method of travel, hanyou-back-riding, they silently leapt up into her bedroom through the still open window. After getting herself cleaned up, Kagome invited Inuyasha to stay the night with her, and he offered no resistance to the suggestion, figuring that it wouldn’t hurt anything to wait until tomorrow morning to return to Kaede’s village.

Besides, Kagome needed to tell her family the good news! Not only of her recent engagement, but that Inuyasha was still alive!

They embraced each other all night, but didn’t do anything beyond a few scattered kisses and ‘over the clothes’ touching, each of them both agreeing that they should wait until after Kagome was finished with her schooling to make the commitment official. She wanted to be able to devote herself fully to her new life with Inuyasha, but just as he had had some previous obligations, so did she. She had to finish school for her honor’s sake, and for that same reason, she couldn’t show up at school pregnant, either. He grinned to himself at the idea of Kagome carrying his child.

They also decided, since he’d never really be able to fit in in her time, that she would be the one to make the Feudal era her true home. At least since the jewel allowed her to continue to travel through the well back and forth, then it wasn’t like she would never see her family again. If she had to choose between Inuyasha and her family, Kagome knew she would pick Inuyasha, but the miko was definitely relieved that she did not actually have to make such a decision. They would visit from time to time, just like any other grown-up child would visit with their parents once they’d left the nest.

Everyone took the news exceptionally well through their tearful reunion with the hanyou, except for Kagome’s grandfather, of course, who needed a little more time to adjust to the idea of quarter-youkai great-grand-children. He eventually came around, though.

Having decided that it was important to her, and since Inuyasha had finally agreed that it was all right, Kagome ended up telling her three best school friends the truth about her hanyou, and about where – or more precisely when – she would be moving away to, once they were finished with high school. Kagome figured there was a good possibility that she’d never see any of them again. Yuka and Eri were a bit nervous, at first, but reluctantly decided that if that was what she truly wanted then they were happy for her. Ayumi thought the whole thing was hopelessly romantic, and was perhaps even a little jealous of the fact that she had no mystical magical lover of her own. Kagome figured that poor Houjou would probably end up giving himself a heart attack worrying about her well being if he knew the true nature of her situation, so she simply told him that she was engaged, and that she would be moving away after graduation, leaving the more vivid details to his simplistic imagination.

Heading back to Inuyasha’s time, there was another tearful reunion – that time on Kagome’s behalf – as she reunited with Miroku, Sango, Shippou and Kaede. Informing their friends of their engagement, the hanyou and miko received an equal round of excitement followed by congratulations. Perhaps it was due to the bliss of the moment, but Inuyasha even told Shippou that he could stay with them, once they got themselves a hut of their own. His words surprised everyone, including Kagome, but the hanyou merely shrugged. He’d never really minded Shippou all that much; he was just the runt of the pack, which was precisely why he picked on him all the time. If Inuyasha truly hadn’t wanted Shippou around, then the kit wouldn’t have been allowed to join the pack at all. With his chest puffing up in pride, Shippou proceeded to state how he could repay Inuyasha and Kagome for their kindness, by self-proclaiming himself future babysitter of their pups, when they eventually had some. His words made Inuyasha and his bride-to-be both blush tremendously, while everyone else broke into a fit of laughter at the sight of the couple’s embarrassment.  

“What?” Shippou questioned innocently, causing Kagome to forget her embarrassment in favor of smiling at the boy, assuring him that she was sure he would make a very good babysitter, indeed.

“May we employee him also?” Miroku asked slyly in that moment, causing his bride-to-be to blush as well.

“Hentai…” Sango muttered under her breath, even though she was smiling.





~ Fin ~





Converting /tmp/phpQzSkBK to /dev/stdout