InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Miroku's Lyric ❯ Session Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

.

.

.

 

 

Memoir of Inuyasha…

 

Do I believe in miracles? No. To me, you can't depend on "miracles" to survive. Where I live, it's "killed or be killed", end of story. The problem most people have, is that they rely too much on something else, not on their own asses. If a person survives a life-threatening disease, that's all it is, they survived, they weren't given mercy by some "higher being", something which I cut out of my life a long time ago. Why? Because the whole religion thing seems like some sort of propaganda. Take for instance, there are monks, priests, then there's this pope guy who's supposed to be the closest being to god or something. Why is that? I mean, we all pray, don't we? If god can hear us, why do we need to talk to one of those damn religious guys in robes to be forgiven for our "sins"? And the bottom line is, why are we sorry if we just have to go back and be forgiven for the same sins? And then there's my freakin' nurse, acts like she's supposed to be my damn savior of something, like I'm some puppy that needs comfort. Her problem is, she hasn't gotten a taste of reality, and how it stabs you in the back…

 

I guess that's why I envy her…

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

Chapter 5- Mezzo Piano

 

.

.

.

.

 

He laid down, taking a deep breath. He pushed the tray to the side, licking his lips for stray crumbs. He hadn't had these kinds of meals since what felt like forever. His eyes scanned the skies, their spectrum transforming as the sun set into the western horizon, his long tresses spread around him like a sheet of ebony silk.

 

"Inuyasha?"

 

He looked up. "What?"

 

Kagome looked down at him. "You've been here more than a week, Inuyasha."

 

"Am I getting an eviction notice?"

 

"No, it's nothing like that. It's just that… " Kagome looked at her clipboard, which sat next to her, "you've had no visitors."

 

"So?" was his blunt reply.

 

"Is anyone coming to see you?"

 

He looked at her for a moment. "I don't get visitors," he replied.

 

"Don't you have any family?"

 

"Define family."

 

"People who care for you and like you for who you are, of course!" Kagome replied.

 

"Never heard of them," he said.

 

"Inuyasha?"

 

"We're friends right?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"I'm your friend, right?"

 

He shrugged. "I guess."

 

"Good, cause I like you for who you are!" she replied cheerfully.

 

"Really?"

 

"Of course! That's what friends are for!"

 

 

***

 

"Doctor Takahashi, you're needed in ER immediately!"

 

Sango hurried down the hallway, her heels clicking against the floor, her white coat flying behind her as she came in the main hallway, where the ambulance staff was wheeling in a patient.

 

She stopped dead in her tracks.

 

She heard the sirens from the ambulance. She had seen the staff roll the person in to the emergency room. She was used to the procedure, it was common, especially in this city of malevolence. But she had never expected the unconscious victim to be him…

 

'Miroku…'

 

"What happened?!" she yelled.

 

"Found lying supine in alleyway," the nurse replied

 

"What's the MOI?"

 

"Gang-related injury, witness called and said he was ambushed by a group of about five."

 

"Level of consciousness?"

 

"Unresponsive to voice and pain."

 

"Any major wounds?"

 

"Large bruise on his left side, and bleeding from his left temple."

 

"How long has he been bleeding?"

 

"About twenty minutes."

 

"Come on, let's get to ER, quickly."

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Miroku? Can you hear me?"

 

His eyes opened slightly, looking up at the ceiling as he lay in the bed, the steady beeping of the heart monitor ringing slightly in his ears. He looked to the side, to the pair of brown eyes looking back at him, and he mustered at smile. "Tenshi…"

 

"Uggghhh…"

 

"Patient is responsive to sound."

"Sango…"

 

"Shhh… you need your rest," she said quietly, "you took a brutal blow to the head."

 

"I could've fought them off if they hadn't hit me with the pipe," Miroku replied.

 

"Don't worry about that," Sango ordered, "your chances of recovery are slim, you're lucky we have to do major brain surgery."

 

"Don't worry about me, Sango," he replied, "I'm a fast healer."

 

"Well in order to heal you need your rest."

 

"My… guitar. Did they get my guitar?"

 

Sango walked over to the closet, pulling out the guitar. "The ambulance said you were clutching it while you were unconscious, so they figured it was yours."

 

"The only possession I have to my name," he said, "I don't know what I'd do without. Handcrafted by my grandfather for my father on his sixteenth birthday."

 

"Family heirloom, huh?"

 

"So…" Miroku began, looking at the ceiling, "what's your diagnosis, doctor Takahashi?"

 

"You have a hematoma on your left temple, which caused slight intercranial pressure. There's a major hematoma on left mid axilliary, caused by fractured rib, slightly puncturing superior lobe of lung. Other than that, you only suffer minor hematomas on your chest, abdomen, and limbs."

 

"Umm… can you translate that please?"

 

She smirked. "You have a bruise on your left temple, broken rib, and minor bruises and lacerations on the rest of your body."

 

"So how long before I can get out of here?"

 

"I'm afraid you're going to be here for a while," Sango replied, "that broken rib punctured your lung. It needs to heal."

 

"I have another one," he said, "Besides, I don't have the money to pay for this."

 

"Not all doctors work for money," she replied, "you need bed rest and stay in the hospital in case you suffer a relapse."

 

"You do understand… that no one listens to their doctor, right?" Miroku asked, his eyebrow slightly raised.

 

"Something I've never understood."

 

"Well, when the prices of drugs on the street are cheaper than the medicines given at the hospital, one usually takes the cheaper alternative. We're charged to be born, to become sick, to give birth, and to die."

 

"Well, to give birth requires a lot of equipment," said Sango.

 

"Then how come a midwife doesn't ask for nearly as much money?"

 

"Because midwives don't have the equipment in case there are complications."

 

He smirked. "And if there aren't complications, do you give them their money back?" he asked.

 

She smiled. "I see you're back to normal."

 

"Sango…"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"About, what you said, the other day…" Miroku said, "What did that mean?"

 

"One cannot live on existence alone," Sango replied, "something my father told me when I was little. It means that you should do something with your life, live, make a difference, not just, well, exist."

 

"He must be a very wise man," he replied.

 

"Yes…" Sango answered. 'He was.'

 

A nurse peeked into the room. "Doctor Takahashi, you're needed in OR."

 

"I'm coming," said Sango, then turned back to Miroku, "promise me you'll rest."

 

"Of course," Miroku replied, closing his eyes, "I've got to heal so I can get out of here."

 

"Good night sweet prince, even though it's only five."

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Preview of Next Chapter:

 

"Excuse me, can I help you gentlemen?" Kagome asked.

 

The two men loomed over her like hawks, their broad shoulders and pointed noses giving the effect of a vulture looming over dying prey.

 

"We're from the police department," the taller one said.

 

"Is something wrong?"

 

"We're looking for an… Inuyasha."

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.