InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Miroku's Lyric ❯ Session Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

Memoirs of Sango...

 

It's the saddest thing, to be surrounded by people, and still feel alone. Despite my social efforts, my popularity, I still managed to make myself into a wallflower, though no one could tell. I kept myself closed, keeping my own solitude wrapped up inside myself, denying it and yet feeding it at the same time. I told no one of it, because I told myself that no one would care. We live in a world were one death is a tragedy and million deaths are considered casualties. No one thinks of the people affected by the wrongdoings of the world. And so, I sat in a dark corner, keeping everything inside. No one would ever really love me for who I am, because no one would really know I am...

 

Even so, who'd really care?

 

 

 

-

 

-

 

Session Eleven- Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

 

-

 

-

 

-

"And sleep,
Perchance to dream'
So I can see the face I long to touch,
To kiss,
But only dreams can bring me this,
So let the moon,
Shine softly on the boy I long to see,
And maybe when he dreams,
He'll dream of me..."

Kirsten Dunst- Dream of Me

 

-

 

-

 

_

 

 

 

Sango looked around , wandering nowhere in particular. Clear skies and water from horizon to horizon, water as far as the eye can see. She was dressed in her nightclothes, composed of a single extra large blue shirt that went to her knees, her hair loose around her shoulders.

 

"Hello?" Her voice echoed hauntingly, despite the open space. She treaded through the freezing waters, which didn't even come to her knees. She wandered for what seemed like forever, her legs becoming numb with every step.

 

She didn't feel something wrap around her ankle, suddenly dragging her under the water. The once shallow sea became deeper, and the unknown creature dragged her down into the abyss of the deep waters, just enough that her fingertips could reach the surface, but not her head to breathe. She struggled desperately, and out of the corner of her eye she saw the monster that had dragged her down...

 

She shot up from her bed, her breath coming out in shallow gasps.

 

_

 

__

 

_

 

'I'm not dead...?'

 

He stirred, feeling shooting pains throughout his torso. He remembered running, darting in and out alleyways, the world a blur around him, as if it wasn't even there. Inuyasha had narrowly escaped Naraku, managing to blind side him with a pipe at the last second. Naraku surpassed him immensely in strength, but his own will to live was stronger.

 

He shifted slightly, turning towards the end of his bed as he felt something pressing against the sheets. 'Kagome...?'

 

She stirred slightly, mumbling incoherent things in her sleep, her head slumped against the bed while she sat in a fold-out chair, her hair sprawled out around like an ebony halo around her head. Her uniform was almost completely stained, the entire front of her apron covered in old, dry blood.

 

"Kagome." He shook her slightly, managing to sit himself up.

 

"Jus' a minute M'ma..." she mumbled, stirring again, this time her eyes opening slightly, "Inuyasha..."

 

Her head shot up, finally registering where she was. She looked up at him, silent for a moment. Kagome studied him for a moment. "Are you happy now?" she asked finally.

 

"Keh, it isn't as if I haven't gotten knifed before," he replied.

 

She shot a glare at him. "That's not helping."

 

Kagome stood up, stepping towards the window. "You've been out for four days. You were nearly killed. The police called the other day. The moment you're fully healed they're going to come and drag you to jail. So, are you happy?"

 

"I'm not going to jail," Inuyasha replied harshly, "I'll leave."

 

"Then you'll die," she said flatly, "you can hardly walk."

 

He looked down at his legs, which lay limply before him. Trying to walk now would be useless, he wouldn't be able to for a few days. It didn't matter anyway. Even if he could, Kagome would surely prevent him from going anywhere. Where would he go, anyway? If he stayed here, he'd go to jail; if he left, Naraku and his lackeys would find him and kill him.

 

"You have no idea... what I went through," he said softly, "Naraku took care of me when no one else would after my mother died. I know he brainwashed me. But what makes you think you can save me now?"

 

She was quiet for a moment, looking hesitantly out the window. "You... you remember when I gave you that anesthesia when you first came into the hospital from the car crash? Well... I wasn't exactly supposed to give it to you."

 

He eyes snapped to her. "What?"

 

She looked down, toying with a loose thread on her apron. "I'm not a doctor... or a nurse... I'm a candy striper. Candy stripers aren't really supposed to... give shots..."

 

Violet eyes glared at her. "You're telling me that you stuck a syringe into my spine, and you didn't even know what you were doing! You could've paralyzed me!"

 

"The point is, Inuyasha" Kagome interrupted, "No matter what I do, the relief will only be temporary." She sat on the bed next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder. "You think that no one will love you. If you keep up like this, no one will, not really, because no one will ever really know you. How can you want to be loved, but not show the real you. You can be loved, if who is loved is not who you really are."

 

Kagome looked up at him, her large brown eyes suddenly narrowing. 'Sure, he falls asleep when I'm being insightful...' She reached up, gently brushing away his bangs. 'But it's okay, he needs to rest right now.'

 

Her eyes moved over to the clipboard sitting in her chair. She was to give it to the police when they came, but it remained blank. She sat it in her lap, staring blankly at it. 'Name: Inuyasha. Age: Nine...teen...'

 

Her lips turned into a smile. 'Until you find someone who loves you, Inuyasha, I will. Hope you like juvenile hall, it'll give you less time.' "Age... sixteen..."

 

She heard a knock at the door. 'Be safe, Inuyasha, be safe.'

 

-

__

 

-

 

Miroku looked up at the ceiling, rolling over for the hundredth time. His eyes held no sleep for him tonight. It was peaceful, the moon creeping its way through the window, giving the room an ethereal appearance as he lay in the center of the soft bed.

 

He frowned. It was so empty, so closed in. Its cleanliness showed no sign of life. He couldn't help but feel... alone. 'I've been homeless too long. There have been so many nights I've wished for a soft warm bed like this, now I'm hoping for a tent in the backyard. How fickle am I?' He blew at his bangs, once again staring at the light fixture on the ceiling, trying to focus on anything except the one who had mentally stirred him in the first place.

 

'Sango...'

 

He smiled. 'How foolish am I?' What could he offer her? He had nothing, maybe if he met her before he had decided to go on his "pilgrimage" he would've had a chance with her. And then there was Kuranosuke...

 

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

 

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

 

Miroku gave a light chuckle. 'But I can dream, can't I?'

 

He sat up suddenly, looking around. There was music playing somewhere, he was sure of it, a piano more than likely.

 

Hesitantly, he stood up, following the light song.

 

-

 

_

 

 

-

 

"I did it Papa, I did it!"

 

The young girl looked up at her father, expectantly waiting appraisal as sat on the bench next to him, her legs swinging happily.

 

Her father smiled. "Yes, Sango. Pretty soon you'll be able to compose a symphony."

 

-

 

She sighed, shutting the lid over the piano keys in silent defeat. She led her had across the large black grand piano that took up most of the space in the room, its top covered in multiple framed photos. It had been awhile since she had came into this room, the piano and the photos that covered it were layered in dust.

 

Sango browsed through the sheet music, reminiscing on the melodies and harmonies of the songs. She stopped at one. 'Yes, Mother's favorite.'

 

She revealed the keys again, slowly starting on the first line, her fingers nimble as they set across the keys with utmost precision and grace.

 

"I was so happy
When you smiled at me, with
A smile that melts everything away.
Spring is still far away,
Inside the cold earth.
I was waiting for the first sprout to bloom..."

"Itsumo."

She turned towards the door. "Miroku, you startled me. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you, I'm used to Kohaku being to sleep through it-"

"You didn't wake me, Sango. And you don't have to act like a guest in your own home," Miroku replied, "couldn't sleep?"

"Nightmare."

He came further into the room, examining the photographs. "Your parents?"

She nodded. "Hidekazu and Nyoko Takahashi. Probably the most in love and loving people I've ever known. My mother was more of a reserved person. She was young, yet old-fashioned. My father put on a reserved front but he still acted with a more juvenile and carefree attitude when he was with his family," she smiled, "I'm ranting, aren't I?"

"It's okay. You never talk about your family." He sat down next to her, his hands brushing against the keys. She watched him, singing softly with him as he played.

"Although today is hard to bear,
Even when yesterday's scars remain,
If I work it out with a trusting heart,
I can't be born again,
but I can change as I go on.

Let's stay together, always."

Sango leaned against him, listening to him play. As she listened to him, she slowly felt the memories of the nightmares slowly wisp away, falling into a deep, peaceful slumber. He smiled at her, moving her bangs out of her face as he lifted her up into his arms, carrying her out of the room with utmost care.

 

"You know, I think I'm getting too attached to you, Sango," Miroku whispered to her sleeping form, "I think... I'm starting to have feelings for you that I shouldn't. Funny, you'd think I'd be smarter than that. I have nothing to give you, nothing to offer. I owe you everything, yet you owe me nothing. I just hope Kuranosuke knows what he has, and take care of you like I would, love you like I would...but I can't, it's not my place..."

 

He laid her down on the bed, lightly kissing her on the forehead as he did so. "And for now, I'll just be content with the privilege of having you smile at me everyday."

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

And so we probe deeper into their minds...

 

The song was the theme song for Fruits Basket, one of several songs that seem to define this story. The lyrics are at a Fruits Basket website called Chiisana Inori.

 

NOTE: I'm going to regret this later...

 

I made some character sketches to share with you. I won't post them on mediaminer or deviantart, mostly because in three weeks I'll want to burn them. If you want to see them, review me with your e-mail address. So far, I've got separate character sketches of Miroku, Sango, Kohaku, Kagome, and Inuyasha, if I draw more I'll let you know. They would've been colored, but I have NO idea how to use my Jasc Paint Shop Pro, and Photoshop doesn't work on my computer without freezing up. (Damn my cheap Windows 98 computer...)

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

Preview of Next Chapter:

 

Sometimes the pauper, can be the prince...

 

-

 

-

 

Posted on 10/13/04 by Lil'Lyn713

"You smiled only for me
With that finger touching
The only wish is endless.

I want to be kind
Like a regrettable misstep
Let's go pass over the grieving sea.

Although today is hard to bear,
Someday it will be a tender memory,
If I free everything in my heart.

I will learn why I am here
I will know the joy of being born
Let's stay together, always."