InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Misery ❯ Fall to pieces ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6,Fall To Pieces
 
By:*~Shikon Rose~*
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
His keys fell with a clunk as Inuyasha dropped them on the coffee table.His mind registered mildly that it was quiet in the house.Maybe too quiet.He strode into the living room sluggishly.He was mentally exhausted with all his pondering about Kagome.What had made her run off like that?
 
He cast a glance around the bleach-white walls and spotted Kikyou,her eyes narrowed in anger.He could practically feel the singe of her burning gaze.
 
“Uh…Kikyou?What's up?”He treaded carefully.
 
“What's…up…?!”Kikyou echoed as she ground her teeth together slowly.She raised her hand,which was hidden behind the couch.He saw that it clutched a thick textbook.
 
Inuyasha winced as the textbook hit him in his raised arm.Kikyou let out a low cry of rage and hurled more things at the hanyou in the doorway.
 
“Kikyou,stop!”
 
“I should stop while you were with that bitch cheating on me?”Kikyou laughed bitterly.
 
“WE WERE IN DETENTION YOU FAG!!!”Inuyasha yelled venomously.
 
“YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE STUDYING WITH ME!!!”Her hand groped for another object to thrust at him,but He grabbed her and pinned her to the couch.
 
“Kikyou,calm down!I couldn't help it!You know how I am,always getting into trouble!”Inuyasha desperately tried to reason with her.
 
Kikyou appeared to relax under his hands.Out of the blue she suddenly hugged the stunned hanyou.
 
“You're right Inuyasha.I never should have doubted you.I wasn't thinking straight,forgive me.”Her eyes suddenly grew hard and icy.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome lied.She had told the office her chest hurt,so was dismissed from her detention.She wasn't exactly lying,her chest did hurt,just not for the reasons they believed.Now she lay on her stomach,tiredly watching her still room with tear-blurred eyes.
 
With great effort Kagome hauled her pain-filled body up from the tear-streaked bedding.She felt like cying out `Why?',but quickly surpressed the urge,knowing her mom was home.It seemed truly amazing to her how fast she had fallen for the dog-eared hanyou.Against her will,the memories flooded her thoughts…the last time she felt this way.
 
Lets talk this over
Its not like we're dead
Was it something I did?
Was it something you said?
Don't leav
e me hanging
In a city so dead
H
ung up so high
On such a breakable thread
Y
ou were all the things I thought I knew
And
I thought we could…be…
 
Her voice broke as memories she thought she had forgotten surfaced to the top of her mind.Kouga was her first crush,he seemed so perfect,so smart,so boyishly charming.
 
He used her.
 
In the end,Kouga was nothing but a shallow,materialistic bastard who was too thick to see that he was not the `perfect man' that the girls swooned over.He thought she'd look nice next to him in the yearbook.Falling fast wasn't always fate…
 
Kagome rolled over,curling into a tight ball embedded in her blankets.This thing with Inuyasha felt…different,but that feeling of belonging was still there.She never felt awkward around him,never felt like she was choked up.With Kouga,she was constantly afraid she would say something wrong,nerdy,or not nearly as cool as it sounds coming from his mouth.
 
With that last,exhausting thought in place,Kagome fell asleep.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kikyou was ignoring him.
 
`Study,sorry.' was the last thing she'd said to him since some three hours ago.Her parents were fucking in their room,and she was busy preparing dinner with an impassive expression set on her pale face.
 
**Flashback**
 
“You're right Inuyasha.I never should have doubted you.I wasn't thinking straight,forgive me.”Her eyes suddenly grew hard and icy.
 
Inuyasha grinned weakly,“Hey,it's alright Kikyou…I shouldn't have yelled at you.”He started to hug her,but Kikyou suddenly whirled away.
 
“Kikyou?”Inuyasha called,confused.Kikyou stopped,“Study,sorry…”she said icily without looking back.
 
With that she walked away,leaving a stunned Inuyasha behind.She'd never chosen study over him,and he sure as hell wasn't going to let her start now!
 
He stalked after her.
 
**End Flashback**
 
Inyasha growled in frustration and walked to the kitchen where Kikyou was making dinner,and slammed a plastic bowl down on the counter.
 
“What the fuck,Kikyou!Why are you ignoring me?!”
 
She glanced at him briefly before lifting her bowl of oden and heading for the table.Inuyasha's growl escalated to a snarl.
 
“I do not believe I am obliged to explain myself to you,Inuyasha.”Kikyou stated icily,a hint of bitterness creeping into her voice.She turned back around and calmly walked to the dining room.
 
“Fine!Then I'm not obliged to eat your stinking food,now am I?!”Inuyasha's features twisted into a menacing scowl.It was always like this.One moment she'd be perfectly loving,the next thing he knew she spoke to him as if he were a convict.
 
He grabbed some hot water and angrily ripped open a package of ramen.Dumping the warm water into the bowl,he sealed the top and sat in a chair to wait,his eye ticking the whole time.Suddenly,Inuyasha felt a stabbing pain in his chest.His hand automatically went to the source of the pain,but could find no reason for it.
 
He looked around,sniffed the air.Maybe something was setting him off?But what could it be?He felt another stab in his chest as he felt his lung constrict.Drops of sweat rolled off his brow and Inuyasha stared at his ramen as it turned fuzzy.His vision was starting to blur.Shaking his head vigorously,Inuyasha fought the pounding headache and the heat that was threatening to consume him.He couldn't seem to breath and his hair felt as if it were on fire.Something tugged at his chest,and all at once,Inuyasha lost control of his consciousness.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
beep…beep…beep…beep…
 
Inuyasha felt his mind starting to recover from black as he managed to form a coherent thought.
 
Where?What happened?What is that beeping sound?...
 
Slowly,and with a lot of effort,Inuyasha managed to force open his exhausted eyelids.The first thing he saw was the face of Kikyou.He felt anger simmering deep inside him,but gave up as he realized it was taking a lot of energy to sustain the feeling.He tried talking.
 
“K…”
 
Inuyasha erupted in a tirade of coughs.His throat felt raw and his mouth felt foreign.Kikyou scampered away,then quickly returned with some water.Inuyasha gulped the liquid with the urgency of a dying man.He tried again.
 
“K-Kikyou?What happened to me?”
 
Kikyou's face was teary.“You passed out on me,Inuyasha.I didn't know what was wrong with you,so I told my parents and they brought you here.”
 
“Do they know what-what happened?”He was finding it difficult to talk.He'd passed out?How?!Never in his life has he ever gotten sick before.
 
Kikyou regarded him with tearful eyes for a moment before tearing her gaze away.“Inuyasha…you have…cancer.”
 
Inuyasha sat,mouth agape at the news.What?Cancer?!There was no cure for that?How could a hanyou get a sickness like this?It was unheard of.After a while Inuyasha finally regained function of his mouth.
 
“What kind of cancer is it?”He managed to choke out.Kikyou turned back to him,her face full of hurt.
 
“They say it's lung cancer,though they still don't know how you could've gotten it.They're trying to figure ou-trying to figure…”Kikyou's voice broke,“How to design rehab for a youkai.”She covered her mouth with her hands and dabbed her eyes with her sleeve.
 
Inuyasha desperately wanted to hold her.To consol her and tell her it was going to be alright,but when he reached out a numb hand to wipe away her tears,Kikyou shrank back from him like he was dirty.She shielded her eyes and gradually the sobbing stopped,and they sat in thick,unbearable tension.
 
When Kikyou spoke again,her voice was cold and devoid of any emotion.Every word she said cut like a knife into Inuyasha's crumbling ego.
 
“Inuyasha…I'm cutting the bonds between us.It simply can't work out.I can't embrace you and kiss you like before knowing I'll be giving affection to what will soon be a corpse.”Kikyou turned so he couldn't see her face,“My parents and I have signed a contract to fund your rehab sessions,but also a restraining order restricting you to come too close to me.It's for the best.”
 
Inuyasha hung his head and shook it slowly,regretfully. “They're not even sure what happened and you're already thinking of me as a corpse?I was so wrong about you,Kikyou.You know as well as I do that there is a perfectly good chance of me surviving this.”
 
Kikyou got up with a toss of her skirts,“Inuyasha those chances are for humans.You're the first youkai to develop cancer at all.Our genes are different.They don't even know if rehab will help you.What chances do you think there are for a never-tried-before experiment?”She opened the door,“Face it.If we continue this you'll be dead and I'll be heartbroken.Don't be so selfish Inuyasha.Please,this is hard enough as it is.”
 
The last part of her sentence was whispered as her voice began to crack once more.Soon after the door clicked shut leaving Inuyasha nothing but a heavy,dreadful silence.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
A/n:I'm so sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.My schoolwork's been piling up,and my school(woodlands) just added like thirty new mangas to their library.I've collected a few mangas myself,like volumes 1-8 of girl got game,courtesy of tokyopop.As well as the first volume of kare kano and complete series of partner.I've watched oh my goddess on dvd.Wolf's rain as well as ceres:a celestial legend,forbidden dance,marmalade boy,fushigi yuugi,and paradise kiss I've read some parts of the manga online(watched eps. In wolf's rain case.So basically I'm becoming more anime/manga obsessed than I ever was before.YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!i really want to read b.b.explosion,hana kimi,peach girl,zodiac P.I.(vol.2) and hands off…but it's not at my usual anime store!!!(anime Xtreme)…now I'm just rambling…good news blockbusters has anime!!!SO HAPPY!!!Just don't flame me…oh and has anyone read mars?The manga…I saw a funny statement…
Rei:We're in love,how nice.
 
Kira:*blank look*…stab,step,suicide.
 
Rei:Not again!
 
Lolz anyways thanx to those who bothered reading this ultra-long note…hehehe…*cowers and covers head*