InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Shadow ❯ Disarm ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 7: Disarm


Series: Inuyasha

Universe: Ninja AU (NOT Naruto-verse, mind you! Sorry! Traditional ninjas only).

Pairing: Eventual SessKag

Rating: PG-13 ( For now, suscepticble to change).

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters are the intellectual property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I only make bad fanfiction about it.


Disarm

888

"For our very first lesson, we are learning combat techniques." Sesshoumaru explained, revealing an array of arms and weapons hidden underneath the blanket. Kagome edged closer to the table displaying the deadly instruments, and looked up to her new master with smug conviction.

"I already know how to fight."

Sesshoumaru sniffed through his nose, conceit writ on his face. "So you say. But that is for you to prove and for me to determine." Kagome frowned at his clear misgivings of her abilities. Sesshoumaru ignored her pouting, walking towards the farther corner of the dojo, his bare feet padding noiselessly across the floor. Kagome shivered, remembering momentarily that this man who aggravated her to no end was a professional assassin. It was evident enough in such a simple action as walking - even in front of someone he did not perceive as a threat, his stealth-mode was on. She could not hear his steps at all, his body weightless as it seemed to sort of glide across the padded tatami mats.

"Grab whatever weapon you feel most confident in using." He instructed, turning around when he was far enough and facing her expectantly. Kagome continued to look at the man, this time in confusion.

He growled in restrained annoyance. "What now, welp?"

"Well...what about you, Lord Sesshoumaru? Won't you choose a weapon as well?"

For the first time since she had met him, Sesshoumaru revealed the barest hint of a smirk. It was not as comforting as she thought it would be.

"Girl, I do not need a weapon to disarm you." He drawled, confidence dripping from every word.

Kagome nearly rolled her eyes at his words of bravado, but bit her tongue. Instead, she turned back to the table. There were many weapons there, some Kagome had never even seen before. Truth be told, the young kunoichi felt most comfortable using a bow and arrow, but she knew it was not a practical weapon for hand to hand combat. Finally, feeling daring and bold, she chose a weapon.

Sesshoumaru raised his eyebrow at the long dagger the kunoichi revealed, but refrained from commenting. Kagome walked closer to the man, breathing levelly through her nose and stopped just a few feet away from him. She settled comfortably into a key position, one that Kaede herself had taught her -

-and the next second, Kagome found herself flat on her back.

'What the fuck', she thought eloquently, her air coming out in sharp breaths. The back of her head throbbed where bone had met floor, and she tried to gather her bearings as she sat up.

"Too slow." Sesshoumaru drawled from behind her, looking every bit unimpressed.

"I wasn't ready!" Kagome exclaimed, aggravated at being taken down so quickly.

"One is never ready for an attack. An enemy does not politely inform you when he wishes to kill you. Nor does he patiently wait for slow kunoichi to get into a laughable example of a 'battle stance'." Sesshoumaru droned lifelessly. He walked around her, back to his initial spot, his stance casual and open. "Get up." He ordered, bored already at their match.

Kagome did so, this time less relaxed and a helluva lot more angry. She held the dagger tightly in her hand. Gritting her teeth, she charged at him.

Exactly twenty-six take downs later, Kagome felt exasperated beyond belief. She lay spread-eagle on the floor, having just been thrown around like a rag doll in the span of an hour. It had been an embarrassing session, to say the least. When Sesshoumaru, both brutal and graceful at the same time, wasn't too busy wiping the floor with her sorry ass, he was making annoying comments about her lack of technique in this stab or her inexcusable form in that stance. The jabs didn't bother her so much; she was used to much worse from Kaede. The dry delivery of said casual commentary, though, was what really drove her up the wall. She inhaled through her nose in an attempt to calm her breathing and clear her thoughts of annoying ninja lords with stupid, pretty hair.

"You almost had me that time." Sesshoumaru mocked from nearby, obviously amused at her frustration. Kagome felt a spike of anger stab her sides. His figure loomed next to her outstretched body, as pristine as when the lesson had begun. While Kagome was a sticky, wrinkled mess of bruises and raggedy hair, Sesshoumaru had not even broken a sweat. In fact, he looked as beautiful as ever.

Kagome decided it was really unfair and, pursing her lips, tried not to weep.

Sesshoumaru eyed the angry maiden at his feet, seeming to ponder something. Finally, he spoke, face set in stern lines.

"You are too hasty and loud, wench. Any enemy would be able to see through your moves and kill you in an instant. Do not think because I was going easy on you that this was not a real lesson. There are many errors in your tecnique, and a ninja as unkilled as you would endanger any mission, and as such, my family." The severe words sobered up Kagome, as the weight of their meaning fell heavy into her, but Sesshoumaru wasn't done scrutinizing.

"You are too emotional, too honest and you broadcast your intent with your entire body, including your eyes." He paused, golden eyes grazing over blue ones, then flitting away to her feet. "You are also impossibly clumsy, and a newborn colt has more grace than you."

"So you're saying I'm unfit to be a ninja?" Kagome bit back petulantly.

Sesshoumaru leveled gazes with the panting woman below him. Her chest heaved tantalizingly, her training kimono becoming undone and offering a coy view of skin. Just a sliver, really, but it was more than enough for wandering eyes.

"You were unable to defeat me even once, an unarmed opponent too. So yes, I would concur with your statement; you are unfit to be a ninja."

Kagome's blue eyes grew, then she quickly moved her head to the side, hiding her face away from his. She bit her lips.

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes, just as frustrated with this lesson as his new pupil. He had not been expecting a miracle by any means, but surely the Shikon clan could offer better fighters than this one. If not, Kaede was getting too old for this.

"That is enough training for today." Sesshoumaru expressed with finality. "We will continue tomorrow with the same lesson, and the day after that, and the day after that, until you finally manage to disarm me. Is that understood?"

Kagome didn't reply, but after a few seconds, she nodded, her face still facing away from him.

Sesshoumaru was about to leave his pupil's side when a small voice piped up.

"Can you help me up, Lord Sesshoumaru?"

Big, dewy blue eyes looked up from beneath a fringe of midnight lashes. Those same blue eyes were coated with a thin veil of tears, but pride kept those treacherous things from falling and rolling down her pale skin. And she was pale, Sesshoumaru noted, more so than many of the kunoichi he had met before. As pale as the moon his clan revered.

The young lord huffed in annoyance, seeming displeased, but stretched out his hand toward his fallen pupil. Sesshoumaru tried not to focus on the delicate fingers that intertwined with his own, or how small and fragile her hand felt in his own calloused one.

Kagome smiled that moonflower smile at him.

And then Sesshoumaru found himself on his back, his breath knocked out of him.

The little ninja sat proudly atop his midsection, the long blade held firmly against his throat. Sesshoumaru tried to focus on the life-threatening weapon instead of that part of her body pressed against his lower abdomen that he could suddenly not stop thinking about. Her mouth curved into a perfect mimicry of the dagger's shape, deadly and beautiful.

"Ready for my next lesson, my Lord." Kagome uttered low and sweet.

Sesshoumaru could not speak, his mouth suddenly dry. With creeping dread, he realized what had happened.

He had been disarmed.


R&R are always welcome! Am I moving too fast? I don't think I am. I should think a little bit of sexual tension here and there between opposite genders should be something to be expected, even with no romantic feelings being developed as of yet, right? Right? Let me know in the comments!