InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Shadow ❯ Overindulgence ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 6: Overindulgence


Series: Inuyasha

Universe: Ninja AU (NOT Naruto-verse, mind you! Sorry! Traditional ninjas only).

Pairing: Eventual SessKag

Rating: PG-13 ( For now, suscepticble to change).

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters are the intellectual property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I only make bad fanfiction about it.


Overindulgence

888

She had expected Kaede to be at the other side. Instead, Kagome stared in disbelief at the solemn, white figure of Lord Sesshoumaru.

And he did not seem pleased.

Kagome, hoping to make a better impression this time, quickly curved her body into the deepest bow she had ever made.

"Lord Sesshoumaru!" she began, her eyes closed tight. "Please forgive my attitude before. I meant no disrespect to you or the House of the Moon-"

"Quit your simpering at once." He commanded, interrupting her in true Sesshoumaru fashion. Kagome's mouth clamped shut with an audible snap. "I am not interested in your pleading or apologies." He eyed her with obvious dislike, his yellow eyes flashing dangerously. "Be grateful that you have such a clever master, otherwise I would have thrown you out by now. Or worse."

Sesshoumaru saw the young girl's eyes widen momentarily, then narrow, anger flashing in her eyes. She was not easy to frighten, he had to give her that. Most ninja would wilt under the threat of execution, but this woman-child only seemed to rise to the challenge. Just as the old woman had said she would.

"Kagome is a tough ninja. Thou should not underestimate her, Lord Sesshoumaru." The old ninja had warned him as she sipped hot tea. "She will surprise thee yet." Sesshoumaru highly doubted that, since nothing had ever managed to surprise him in his twenty-five years of existence.

"Oh don't make that face, Lord Sesshoumaru. I promise thee that Kagome has plenty of tricks up her sleeve." Kaede laughed, obviously guessing his thoughts. Sesshoumaru only frowned further; it infuriated him how easily she could read him. He hoped his new pupil was not as good at reading him as this old woman was.

"Where is my master? She is not here." Kagome asked, interrupting his thoughts, noting the absence of the weathered old face she had come to care and love. 'Perceptive, aren't we?', Sesshoumaru thought mockingly.

Out loud though, he said, "Lady Kaede has already left the House of the Moon. As the leader of her clan, she wished to hasten to her home as quick as possible."

"Oh." Kagome breathed, unreasonably feeling disappointed. She had hoped that after all these years, the old woman could at least offer a farewell. Her distress did not escape Sesshoumaru, who was quick to notice the glassy coat over her eyes.

"Do not look so discontent about her departure, welp. She is head of her clan and it is only natural that she leaves as soon as business is over. If her overindulgence of you is not evidence enough of her love, than you are a fool to believe that she did not care for you at all." He reached inside his kimono sleeve and pulled out a letter. "She left you a note, the sentimental old fool." Sesshoumaru grimaced, finding the sentiment not fitting for a ninja. He held out the letter to the smaller, younger woman before him.

With trembling fingers, Kagome reached forward and took the paper in her hands. She drew the letter closer to her chest, a small smile blossoming on her pink lips.

Sesshoumaru had expected the young woman to explode at him like she had before when he had callously disrespected her master. But instead, Kagome looked up at him and flashed him a smile as bright as the moonflowers in his garden.

"Thank you, my Lord." She whispered, eyes glinting with unshed tears.

Her eyes were incredibly blue.

Sesshoumaru grunted, averting his eyes from the girl and turning towards the exit. Before leaving, he shot the raven one last glance.

"You are my pupil now, and I expect nothing but perfection from you, girl. Lessons start tomorrow at sunrise. Tardiness is not accepted, neither is slacking off, and either is met with the termination of our contract." He warned dangerously, making it clear what would happen if she disobeyed.

Kagome nodded in understanding. "Of course, my Lord. I look forward to our lessons." She bowed humbly once more.

Sesshoumaru slammed the shoji door in her face and walked down the corridor as fast as was socially acceptable, trying to put as much space between himself and the rebellious ninja with the strange blue eyes and the smile like moonflowers.

In the distance, he heard the sound of thunder, and it sounded like the heavens laughing.


I tried writing up a proper goodbye between Kaede and Kagome, but i figured the old woman was not for such vulnerable sentimentalities and instead would write Kagome a heartfelt farewell without exposing herself as a woman with actual feelings. This is the last chapter written thus far. Do you like the story? Should I continute it? R&R please! Let me know what you're thinking in that pretty little head of yours!:) And if you have any prompts to suggest, than by all means do so!