InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Shadow ❯ Petrichor ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 5: Petrichor


Series: Inuyasha

Universe: Ninja AU (NOT Naruto-verse, mind you! Sorry! Traditional ninjas only).

Pairing: Eventual SessKag

Rating: PG-13 ( For now, suscepticble to change).

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters are the intellectual property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I only make bad fanfiction about it.

Authors notes: Petrichor is the dusty smell that comes when rain falls on earth and grass. #TheMoreYouKnow. And who said fanfiction never taught you anything.


Petrichor

888

Kagome looked out of her bedroom doorway into the black night. It was breezy and warm outside, a perfect summer night, but Kagome could smell the scent of rain on dry earth and she knew a storm was fast approaching. The temperament of weather was always unpredictable and she wondered if there would ever be a day when man could know its turns and changes.

And speaking of tempers…

Kagome sighed, closing the shoji screen as she walked back inside the room. Kaede had yet to come back from her meeting with the young Lord. Probably trying to salvage what little relationship between their clans was left after that spectacular display of impudence.

Kagome didn't know why she had lost her temper like that. It wasn't like her at all and Kaede had raised her better than that. In fact, mere seconds before her outburst, she had been practically moonstruck.

She blushed, reliving that afternoon's events.

After two long days of walking, Kagome was loathe to confess that she was dead on her feet. A ninja like her was expected to travel long distances like these on a daily basis, even longer sometimes when delivering messages in times of war (and these days, it seemed those times were all the time). But having to carry hers and Kaede's luggage had been of particular strain on her and had finally taken it's toll.

It didn't help that she was now expected to arrive to another clan to become pupil to a master she had never met. Lord Sesshomaru had a reputation that spread as far as the rays of the sun and everybody seemed to know of him. He was feared, envied and hated by all, yet he had more allies and followers than any clan leader she had ever met. Kagome could surmise from conversations she heard from older ninja that he was incredibly powerful and a skilled assassin like none before. He had become Lord of the Western Lands when he was barely eleven-years-old, after the death of his father, and had led his clan with the militant force of a veteran overlord. More than once he had overthrown enemy clans, destroyed villages that opposed him and had annihilated every single target he had ever been given, without leaving a trace. It was rumored that he had single-handedly killed a hundred men in one night, with only his sword to aid him.

When men spoke of him, they did it with the reverence one afforded to epic legends. Lord Sesshoumaru, ruthless leader of the House of the Moon, was known for his mercilessness, his bloodlust and his heartless nature, and was often referred to in hushed whispers as The Demon Prince.

This despicable man was to be her new mentor and Kagome dreaded the arrival to the House of the Moon with each quavering step she took.

Once there though, the opulence of the clan home had been enough to knock her breath away. When they were led past marbled gates and towards rows upon rows of polished hallways, surrounded by beautiful gardens on either side, Kagome was speechless. More than the house of a ninja leader, this seemed like the ancient home of an emperor!

A squawking servant with green-tinted skin and bulging eyes had finally led Kagome and Kaede to a room with simple, yet very tasteful furnishing, announcing very snootily that his lord would be making his entrance any moment now. Seconds later, the shoji screen opened.

Kagome had expected a man of Kaede's age to receive them in their home. She had not, on the other hand, anticipated that the great Lord of the Western Lands, Ruler of the House of the Moon and merciless Demon Prince… was only a few years older than herself.

And incredibly handsome to boot.

Lord Sesshoumaru was dressed in an exquisite, white silk kimono, with matching white hakama pants. A red hexagonal flower print on his shoulder and a bright purple-and-yellow sash broke the monotony of the white, the combination strange but pleasing nonetheless. He had donned his family armor and stood proudly before the two female ninja. Kagome noted distantly that his hair, an unusual shade of white, was longer than her own, and she eyed the silky smoothness of it with envy.

She wanted to touch it.

Badly.

Sesshoumaru had arched an eyebrow at her ogling, and belatedly Kagome realized that Kaede was bowing and she probably should too. Dipping into a hasty bow, embarrassment coloring her cheeks, she wondered why so many feared a man that could only be described as beautiful.

Then the illusion vanished, and Lord Sesshoumaru spoke.

"What do you want, old woman?"

The rudeness of his tone had snapped Kagome up from her bow, and she had stared at him, mouth open in disbelief.

Kaede, always placid, did not seem faced by her host's directness, and remained in her bow.

"My Lord, I am Lady Kaede of the Shikon Clan, and this is my pupil, Kagome-"

"I know who you are." He cut in brusquely, lowering himself gracefully into a sitting position in one fluid motion. He glared at the women before him, and Kagome held back a gasp. His eyes were yellow, like molten gold, like quick lightning….

"But that was not what I asked. I shall not repeat myself. What do you want, old woman?" he intoned, obviously not in the mood to be bothered and used to getting his every question answered immediately. Kagome bristled at how he spoke to her master, not even addressing her by proper title.

"Of course. Lord Sesshoumaru, I am here to offer my pupil as your humble and willing student. I have taught young Kagome all there is to know of the way of the ninja, but I fear that a kunoichi as promising as she needs something more than I could ever hope to teach. She be a brilliant ninja and a quick study; I know under thy clan's care she will flourish into a great assassin. She will serve thy clan well, and honor thy house." Kaede spoke in level tones, but Kagome could not help but blush. The fountain of commendations her old teacher was giving her was more than she was used to, and she lowered her head shyly.

"Your request is denied."

This time, both Kaede and Kagome looked up. Sesshoumaru stared back with a bored expression at both shocked women.

"My Lord, we have traveled far for this purpose alone-"

"Then you have traveled in vain." He interrupted once more. Lord Sesshoumaru drew himself up to his full height. "I am in no need of a kunoichi, especially one as green as this one. I hope the trip back sees you well." And with that, he turned around, a clear dismissal. Kagome felt the anger explode inside her.

And then all hell broke loose.

Kagome rubbed a hand over her tired eyes, still ashamed at how she had talked back at this man she did not even know. He had been generous to receive them in his home and grant them an immediate audience with him, and all she could do was attack his manners. Kagome was a real treat, huh?

She was just getting ready for a long night of feeling sorry for herself when the shoji door slid open.


I totally feel Kagome. I also say stupid, angry sh*t at cute guys all the time. Amirite? R&R please!